Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• robielarobiela Posts: 3
    We have the form to submit to Honda, in connection with the lawsuit regarding failing compressors, but cannot find the Compressor Part# that we need to put on form. Does anyone with a 2002 Honda CRV, manual, AWD, have this part#?
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Posts: 10
    Mine is 2003 - Compressor 38810-PNB-006 and a Drier Desiccant Element -#80101-s7a-305
    Good Luck
  • I need my air compressor replaced on 2004 Civic LX, now with over 240,000 miles. Where did you find compressor on ebay? What was name of company? Trying to find it new and cheap to buy and labor also. Honda wanted $1,500 to replace. Thanks.
  • jennyp3jennyp3 Posts: 2
    Same "black death" experienced by so many others. My Honda dealership was so familiar with the defect that they just had to look at the shards of metal all over my engine to know what happened. Estimate of $2,480 for the compressor, clutch/coil, but will be more if the entire system needs to be done, which we all know is a necessity due to debris. 100,00 miles, original owner, always serviced at Honda. I owned a 1985 CR-X Si that went to 180,00 with no a/c problems. It was difficult to even get past the Call Center chick at American Honda (denied), but I managed to get a case number. They should get back to me within 48 hours. If they deny me again, I plan on calling every day demanding to speak with a supervisor, and then their supervisor, etc. This is a design flaw that Honda is well aware of and should take responsibility for.
  • robielarobiela Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for the part #!
  • jennyp3jennyp3 Posts: 2
    Honda refused to pay one dime for my a/c repair. Julie also refused to give me her supervisor's name and finally agreed to have him/her call me within 48 hours. However, she assured me that her decision was the final one. You know where the spare tire is? A perfect place to mount a sign: "The a/c blew up in this car due to a design flaw that Honda is aware of. Honda America refuses to pay one penny of the $5,000 repair. I will never buy another Honda, and neither should you".

Who's with me?! I'm in the DC area, so my message should reach a few people.
  • nicompnicomp Posts: 21
    With all due respect, when something breaks at 100K miles Honda cannot be reasonably expected to make it better. My AC compressor locked up on my 2000 CR-V at 105K: the dealer wanted 3K in Florida to make everything better. I told them to cut off the belt (charged me $90 for that 'service') and I've been driving it that way ever since, another 60K miles.

Yes, the whole situation stinks, but the warranty was expired and I had not purchased any extended protection. That's my problem, not Honda's.

Yes, their design was awful. Yes, it's unfair. No, I probably won't buy another one.
  • chuckrechuckre Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 CRV (bought new and serviced by the dealer) I am going through this for the third time. Compressor blew in 2006 after 30K and 2 years. Dealer replaced it for free. It happened again in 2010 at 70k. Dealer charged me 1800 but Honda paid half. It happened a third time last week at 100K. Dealer who looked at it thinks the previous repair didn't clean out all the debris and that may be what led to this blow up. Their repair estimate is $4000. I am not spending that much on an 8 year old car for a repair that only seems to last 3 years on average.
  • sissytoosissytoo Posts: 21
    That was what I was told the last time, that the previous repair was not cleaned out correctly. I got an independant to fix mine again last year but was a case of have to when the compressor locked up and tore the belt off. The dealer kept coming out and telling me it needed this and that, and the bill was like up to $6000, no way would I have paid that. It was $1200 at the independent which included a tow bill. Still is a fortune to me.
  • I just experienced the thrill of my a/c blowing up, too. 2003 CR-V LX with only 52,000 miles. And here I thought it was because I live in FL!

Question: Where can I get the form for the lawsuit? (I tried doing a search but got nowhere.)
    That's what happened to my CR-V as well: the compressor locked up so tightly that the engine wouldn't turn over. Bizarre.

I told the dealer to cut off the belt. 5 years ago. The money we've saved in gas mileage will probably pay for the repair, if I ever decide to fix it.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2012
    The form for class action is in this thread about a year or so ago.

If this thread had the ability to poll, I would be tempted to ask a poll of CRV owners who both have had premature failures and those who haven't, if there is some sort of theme regarding how each uses their car. I have learned in the past few years only, that regular use even if only for 10 minutes daily, will help keep the system internals not only lubed, (there is a lubricating oil in the freon) but help the seals keep their resiliency and ability to seal the full quantity of gas in the system thereby prolonging the need for a top-up charge of freon.

The other thing, is, if you find your A/C has lost a good portion of its cooling ability, but does still cool somewhat, you have three choices.
    Remove the fuse that cycles the compressor clutch. This will ensure you don't have compressor jam and put you on the side of the road in heavy traffic. It also may help keep system from having as many metal bits circulating in the entire system if the compressor had started to self-destruct and was the cause of diminished cooling due to freon loss etc. As these bits accumulate (usually at the condenser or later at the expansion valve) it reduces ability for condenser to bring the hot liquified gas having left the compressor, to ambient temps. This would create extra heat and pressure at the compressor which accelerates the compressor's demise. Or will trigger either high and low pressure switches that cuts current to compressor clutch to preserve the compressor. I suspect that the reason some compressors blow up and seize is because of a faulty low pressure switch (the one between the evaporator and the compressor) which allows it to run gas and oil starved. You can prolong the life of your compressor by keeping area in front of condenser clear of bugs etc. Once or twice a year I invest 30 min to carefully debug my compressor with a tiny pick so that it can get as much air as possible in to it. If you opt to do this, the fins are extremely prone to injury and requires a gentle, steady hand, hooking bugs and pulling straight out from between the fins.
    Also, aways ensure the fans come on to pull air through it when A/C is on.
    I do not like the stock position of the license plate as it hinders clean air to the condenser on those states that require a front plate.

Second choice is test to see if a recharge will restore cooling ability, but keep in mind this choice has no guarantee that by doing this you will avoid the results of the first choice.

Sending now due to thunder storm.
  • jeff008jeff008 Posts: 1
    Hi - like many, I recently experienced failure of my A/C system. I've read countless posts from customers who had multiple compressor failures at relatively low mileage. The consensus is that debris from the failed compressor contaminates the A/C system, only to again damage the "new" compressor, creating further failure. The definitive remedy (besides better engineering of the compressor on later models) is to replace the entire A/C system. I'm trying to price out the specific components. Does anyone have a list of all of the parts that need to be replaced? When I searched the net, some auto parts companies sell replacement "kits" which may contain anywhere from 5 to 8 components, at a cost between around $500 to $700, depending on what you purchase. I'm planning to taking the parts that I end up buying to a local mechanic (NOT the local Honda dealer...). Also, does anyone know what the labor-hours estimate is for a complete A/C job? I've read many posts, where people have been paying dealers over $3K - $4K for the parts and labor, which seems way, way high. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks. Jeff
    It cost me the price of the parts to have them installed. Say they were about $400, it cost another $400 to get installed. If you call the parts store, they should be able to tell you what has to be replaced. I know it was the compressor and cant remember what the other part was called, and the filters were also replaced.
  • gman06gman06 Posts: 11
    gimmestdtranny stated, "I have learned in the past few years only, that regular use even if only for 10 minutes daily, will help keep the system internals not only lubed, (there is a lubricating oil in the freon) but help the seals keep their resiliency and ability to seal the full quantity of gas in the system thereby prolonging the need for a top-up charge of freon."
    All that is accurate gimmestdtranny, but every time the driver operates the defroster in the cooler months, the driver operates the a/c compressor, perhaps unbeknownst to themself. Yes, the compressor runs in the winter months, too. So, with weather that might cause the driver to turn on the a/c or weather that might cause the driver to turn on the defroster, between these two the proper lubrication necessary should be satisfied for compressor longlife and seal elasticity and longlife. Cheers!
  • You may call this a lecture about, 'Taking the Good with the Bad.'
    My 2003 CRV EX is within 300 miles of having 250,000 miles. I just figured out that the a/c has gone-out four times in the past. Now, it has suddenly started making a weird whinning noice each time I turn it on. (It also makes this noice when I turn on the defroster, because the defroster switch turns on the compressor. (In the past, the a/c has simply stopped.)
    Anyway, if it's another "Black Death," than this will make it a precise 'once per 50,000 mile' event.
    Here's the deal. I've never had a car/truck last nearly so many miles. So overall, I forgive Honda, and I consider it the best car deal I've ever had.
  • scopesscopes Posts: 1
    I just went to the lawsuit website, as I am in the process of having my CRV ac replaced. The deadline for claims was yesterday.
  • I have a 2003 CRV with 45600 miles. On August 16th my AC died a "Black" death. $3700 in labor and repair. I also looked at the lawsuit and it expired on the same day of the black death. Unfortunately it says that all repairs and receipts needed to be postmarked on August 16th. I sent info to the lawsuit administrator requesting to be included in the reimbursements but told there is no guarantee. I am asking Honda of America to pay but no word from them either. I opened a case with Honda. I dont want to pay the $3700 out of pocket unless I know that some where I can get reimbursed. If anyone has any suggestions for me. please help.
    Thanks, Celeste
  • grumfangrumfan Posts: 4
    jennyp3 said:
    > With all due respect, when something breaks at 100K miles Honda
    > cannot be reasonably expected to make it better. My AC compressor
    > locked up on my 2000 CR-V at 105K: the dealer wanted 3K in Florida to
    > make everything better. I told them to cut off the belt (charged me $90
    > for that 'service') and I've been driving it that way ever since, another
    > 60K miles.
    >
    > Yes, the whole situation stinks, but the warranty was expired and I
    > had not purchased any extended protection. That's my problem, not > > > Honda's.

Sorry Jenny. Ordinarily, you would be right. However when a part this expensive fails for so many people, so pervasively, it IS the manufacturers fault. CRV's can go over 250,000 miles, so having a $5000-$6000 component fail at just over 100K like this on so many customer's cars is not acceptable. That is why a class action lawsuit is a good idea. It will succeed. In fact Honda will probably solve the problem before it even gets into court.

Cars today all go over 1000K miles, especially brands like Honda. 100K is no longer the magic "dead car" mark for most cars.
    I have replaced mine 3 times. I think that is certainly a little much. And this was within less than 3 years.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Posts: 10
    Jenny - also have to disagree. I would expect things to go wrong with a car at 100K, but since this is a known issue, I think Honda should have stepped up to the plate and taken care of this. In their eyes, it is not a recall since it is not a safety issue, but it should have been a recall since they are well aware of the defective a/c. I guess I was fortunate not to have the issue until my CRV hit 95K, but it was more painful since they knew of the problem. I doubt my next car will be a Honda only because of this.
    Hi Jeff,
    There are places marketing kits that contain all the parts that need to be replaced.

This page even lets you look up the kits by year of the CRV:

link to kits

Hope you can still use this info.
    isellhondas said: "..I understand your frustration but ALL cars can have problems of one kind or another."

Sorry, no. Not like this. And that is why Honda settled the class action law suit.

Everyone who is affected by this SHOULD be compensated by Honda. Furthermore, Honda SHOULD have compiled an engineering fix for this so that no one has to go through it twice.

There is no way in hell that fixing a broken AC compressor should cost $3000 to $6000 dollars. (prices quoted by Honda dealers).
    I didn't say it was not Honda's fault that the thing failed. I said it was not Honda's fault that I didn't buy an extended warranty.

PS> Cars do not 'all' go over 1000K miles. At 50K miles per year, that would take 20 years. Let me know how many 1992 vehicles you see on the road.

PPS> Regarding the premature tire wear that many people are mentioning: my CR-V is a FWD, not AWD, and it is very easy on tires. Perhaps that's the difference.
  • I have had this issue twice with my 2005 CRV, and am not going to be compensated what so ever becuase the 2005 was not inlcuded in the years to be covered. Only 2002-2004 qualify. I would really love to know why that is, when without a doubt, the design was the same and the issue occurs in the 2005 as well. So completely upsetting. I can say with 100% certainty I will never buy from Honda again. As a Quality Assurance professional, I this is just disgraceful.
    Because lawyers are involved, no doubt.
  • Update to my last post from Aug. 19,2012.... The class action lawsuit administrator would not help me because the deadline had passed for the settlement which was August 16th, 2012. I turned in the paperwork on time but not the receipts. They said that although I only had 45600 miles because my year is 2003, my car was too old and therefore I was not included in the reimbursements of the class action suit! So instead of just excluding all of us who did not meet the guidelines (mileage or age of car) of the lawsuit we are automatically included and cannot go after Honda separately unless we opted out of the lawsuit back in Feb. 2012. What a racket!

I inherited this car after my Mom's death, the Honda rep was told this. It only had 13000 miles when I got the car and the Honda representative working with the Honda dealer said that I was considered a "second owner and the car is old so what did I expect!' Can you believe this! What a rude and disrespectful comment to make!

Honda never was willing to admit the problem with the AC system, but they said they were willing to give me "goodwill." I was able to get Honda to reduce my parts by 50% and then the dealer reduced the installation by 50% after I continue to complain that the whole system should be covered or at the very least paid out identical to the class action suit. After all was said and done I paid $1750 out of pocket. I was glad to not pay the $3700 originally quoted but I am still upset that I had to pay anything at all. My car has very low mileage and there is absolutely no reason why it should need a whole new AC system because of a Black Death failure. Honda is very aware of this AC problem and should offer to replace every AC that fails. This is a defected item and the lawsuit did not go far enough to include the rest of us.

That is no way to run a business nor have repeat customers. I am hoping that this AC failure does not happen again as it has happened to others. Honda of America says they have never heard of any AC's needing to be replaced more than once. That is another lie!
  • Well I brought my CRV in for recall services back in June but there was no mention of A/C failure and now 8K miles later at 36K the unit fails. I went to the dealer and he said the class action suit is over. I called Honda and they said the vehicle is out of the warranty period and the legal agency that performed the class action stated that they don't offer the claim forms and even if I did submit the claim it likely wouldn't be honored as it needed to be submitted by Aug 16th. How can a vehicle with only 36K have catastrophic failure........one part ruins the whole system! I am unemployed and in school and don't have 4K to spend. Even if I did I see where others have written that theirs failed 2-3 times! What is that.........TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Is there an aftermarket kit or something. I can't seem to get Honda to do anything! I may end up just getting rid of the vehicle...........no more HONDA for me!
  • There has not been honor at Honda since they changed the CRV design for 2003 when they put in an a/c system with smaller holes and and a lighter weight metal which now freezes up and implodes taking out the entire system. Got rid of my '04 CRV after 2 a/c failures at 46k and 48k miles .... there will never be another Honda product (Acura or Honda) in my garage again. They very easily could have come out with a re-designed a/c to convert over to ............ BUT NO they would rather say screw you consumer...no one has died from no a/c so we will not do a recall and fix the problem.
  • costlycarscostlycars Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Yup, they denied my claim also. If I can't find a quality aftermarket kit that will eliminate this problem I will be getting rid of this vehicle and it is the last Honda for me! The car is like brand new and there is no need for this problem. They had more excuses than Congress! For a catastrophic failure this is terrible. I have bought Honda cars with over 100K with the original AC with no problems. Unfortunately the way of the world is "Take the money and run!"

I will never buy another or recommend a Honda.