Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• dtstofdtstof Posts: 61
    I have a 2007 and I find the system to be weak. In SOCAL, it is quite hot in the summer. I have to keep it on recirculate to cool in summer. I hope the system lasts. It seems undersized.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    This is my personal belief that if you are buying used, you don't know what you get. People don't usually just get rid of perfectly good cars. They hang on to them, and pass them on to other family members.

I would say that 90% of the vehicles offered for sale are up for sale because the owner knows something and does not want to deal with it.

So, baring that in mind, you stand a pretty good chance of getting a problem vehicle when you buy used. But, that is why you don't pay the full price when you buy used. If used vehicles were as reliable as new, then the prices would have reflected that.

No matter what the seller may tell you about the vehicle, how wonderful and reliable it is, there is an underlying reason why it is offered for sale. And more often than none it because the owner does not want to deal with an issue.

Look at all the postings here about the A/C issues, and everyone boasts how they will sell it or trade it or what not. Do you think they will disclose to the buyer that the reason they are getting rid of it is the A/C? Most likely not.

As the Romans said: "Caveat Emptor"
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Posts: 47
    blueiedgod , I agreed with you 110%. I traded in my 2003 V and got the 2010 V. I knew I didn't want to spend another 1-2 K for an A/C. The 3rd Gen V is much more safer, powerful, comfortable, advanced, ... then the 2nd Gen V. Car manufacturers don't build cars like they used to anymore. 7-10 years of use/abuse is probably the best you can get out of it without major repairs.
  • I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 CR-V but am now wary after reading about the compressor issue. I get a general feeling of honesty from the seller about what issues he is aware of that the car has had (originally low rear diff fluid, but now he says it's full and good ...that it was filled to the level of the side, not top port originally but this did not cause any damage), but wonder if he's selling it before the weather gets warm because of A/C problems with this car or just his knowledge that it may be imminent (as opposed to the "growing family" reason given for sale). The car handles well, brakes well and straight. It's clean. I did notice more road noise than my '97 CR-V however. If I pursue the purchase of this car, how much should I pull off the table to deal with these issues?
  • My 2004 CRV has lost the A/C for the second time - first time around 43000 miles, Honda covered it all that time. Now 43000 miles later, same problem - Now dealer says Honda won't offer any assistance. I've filed a claim with Honda America - will see what happens, also saw on line a law firm that has filed claim agains Honda for these problems. Will see what happens with it all.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    edited April 2010
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 CR-V but am now wary after reading about the compressor issue. I get a general feeling of honesty from the seller about what issues he is aware of that the car has had (originally low rear diff fluid, but now he says it's full and good ...that it was filled to the level of the side, not top port originally but this did not cause any damage), but wonder if he's selling it before the weather gets warm because of A/C problems with this car or just his knowledge that it may be imminent (as opposed to the "growing family" reason given for sale). The car handles well, brakes well and straight. It's clean. I did notice more road noise than my '97 CR-V however. If I pursue the purchase of this car, how much should I pull off the table to deal with these issues?

Both Differential ports are on the side, one above the other.

If the fluid was filled to the bottom port, then there was no fluid in the differential. Driving without fluid would have damaged the differential. I would take it to Honda, or if you have access to a lift or 4 jackstands and perform the differential test.

If the vehicle is manual, while suspended in air, put it in 1st, release clutch, and let it idle. All 4 wheels should spin. Apply parking brake, and the engine should stall. Sorry, I did not read the part about automatics.... but I would imagine the test is similar.

I'd still factor in the cost of the differential replacement into the offer.
  • vkgarryvkgarry Posts: 6
    I live in Las Vegas where A/C isn't a convenience, it's a necessity. I have had my A/C compressor fail every summer I've had this vehicle. It is an 04 CR-V. We bought it new in 2005. Within a couple of months the first compressor failed. They replaced the whole system at a dealer in SoCal as we were out visiting family.

It has susequently failed each summer since. The first two were under the factory warranty, and second two under the extended warranty. I wrote to American Honda Customer Service in Torrance, CA, but they don't seem to want to help.

It's obvious from the posts here that this is not an uncommon problem. Does anyone know if a recall has ever been filed? My dealer service department has as much as admitted that they know there's a problem with this compressor. They also suggested that it was resolved by 2005, but based on what I'm reading that's not the case.

I did fill out an information form for an attorney in NJ regarding A/C compressors with several Honda and Acura models. It came up as one of the first listings of a Google search for Honda CR-V compressor failures.
  • alana50alana50 Posts: 12
    It is my understanding that the AC issue was fixed for CR-Vs after 2005. Also, someone earlier indicated that the problems seem to be on vehicles that have serial numbers beginning with 'J'
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Posts: 11
    FYI, my vehicle's (2003 CR-V) serial number begins with "S" and I experienced the same catastrophic failure of the A/C system as most everyone else on this forum.
  • shima1shima1 Posts: 19
    Unbelievable! And to Honda's eternal shame, no recall!
  • jrb0579jrb0579 Posts: 1
    1st time happened late Summer of 2004 with my 2002 CRV which was covered under warranty. It pretty much shattered inside the car and killed my engine while driving. It was kind of scary at first seeing the steam come out of my car. 2nd time it happened was Summer of 2007. At that point, I called Honda America and someone worked with me immediately. I had already been through 2 gas caps, engine repairs, and computer failure. Honda came back to me after about a week and gave me a check for all the parts that had to be replaced on my car. They told me they could not reimburse me for the labor. I was happy to at least have 2k back in my pocket. Well the dealership is now telling me that I need a new air compressor for $1600.00. It currently makes metal rattling noise when it is running, so I thought I should get it check out before it goes bad. Does anyone know if there is a filter that can be replaced inside the compressor? The AC is still cooling but it's just making a horrible noise. At this point I'm tempted to just keep driving it until the whole AC blows. I will be calling Honda America again tomorrow. I have never gotten anywhere at the dealership. They just scratch their heads and say "really?" They have all my records because all work is done there..."sigh"
  • alana50alana50 Posts: 12
    If the dealership had to replace the AC before, wouldn't they have replaced the compressor?
    Might I suggest going to an independent, not another Honda dealership, for the second opinion? I sometimes stop people in my vehicle and discuss my baby, just to see if we have similar experiences. You may ask another Honda owner if they know a small shop that you can take your vehicle to.
    When mine went out (twice) I was told it was the Honda parts for the AC that were defective. So the dealership may choose to work with you. OR not.
    Does this link help you?
    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4828360_troubleshooting-honda-civic-ac.html
    Alana
  • jnyquistjnyquist Posts: 2
    Anything come of this yet. The same thing has just happened to me so any help would be great. Thanks!
  • lokahi72lokahi72 Posts: 3
    I'm the unlucky one who Honda of America will NOT consider paying for my AC condenser replacement after 32,673 miles which seized a week ago. The H of A customer rep stated that my 3 years or 36,000 factory warranty had expired. So you lucky CR-V owners should feel really good that you had your AC replacement & repair cost covered 100% with higher mileage and years of ownership. Now I face a $2660. repair estimate ..............
    If you have a local mechanic you trust, get an estimate from them. You can probably save at least $1000. It cost me about $1700 to have the A/C system replaced on my 2003 CR-V by a local shop which gave me a 1-year warranty. I did not even consider giving Honda any extra money to fix a defect that should not have been there in the first place. I also wanted to increase the possibility that non-Honda parts would be used since the Honda parts may be defective.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That certainly sounds excessive. I was playing with some numbers and, conservatively speaking, you used the air conditioner for approximately 1,000 hours. That's based on using it for half the year and driving at an average speed (highway and city) of 30 mph. I think you have a reasonable expectation that an air conditioner should last for more than 1,000 hours of usage.

Also, that works out to $2.66 for every hour that you used the air conditioner. You can cool an entire house full time for less than that. (10 kW @ $0.10/kWh)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • carol4011carol4011 Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Honda CR-V with 81000 miles. The AC went out at 61000 miles and Honda said they will not replace it. I have read all the posts and think we all should contact our TV stations for help along with newspapers. With everything going on at Toyota you would think someone would listen. Honda makes a great car so why not back it. There should be a class action lawsuit. I spoke to one person on line who said she sent 50 pages to Honda or to your dealer. They finally fixed hers with 100,000 miles on her CRV. My dealer sucked big time.and they Let's all do it! I live in Ohio and would never recomment Voss Honda in Tipp City. I bought my car new and used the air probably 30 times before it exploded. They called a rep in Ca and they still said NO.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    edited May 2010
    "I bought my car new and used the air probably 30 times before it exploded. "

What? You went 61000 miles and only used the defroster 30 times? In Ohio? The A/C compressor comes on when defrost is turned on...

The A/C is not a safety issue, so I doubt there would be much interest by the press or Government. I'm sorry yours blew out, but Honda met the obligations in their warranty agreement.
  • th112th112 Posts: 1
    The A/C compressor went out on my 2003 CRV. I am frustrated and disgusted with Honda knowing this is a consistent problem and could care less about their customers! This economy has been tough on everyone and for them to sit on their throne and count their money makes me sick! My family and I will have to suffer with no air this summer and every summer after that until the car falls apart! I will NEVER EVER buy another Honda again!!!
    The A/C is not a safety issue but I believe the defroster IS a safety issue since there is no good way to clear the windshield if it gets condensation on it, such as in a rainstorm or snowstorm. I now live in central Florida and use the defroster less than I did when I lived in Maryland, which is fortunate since I went a year without the A/C system. Still there were occasions when it was hard to see through the windshield because of condensation that I could not clear. For safety reasons, Honda should have designed the defroster as a separate system, independent of the A/C system.