Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

1666768697072»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 46,864
    gregmyers said:

My 1998 CRV compressor just died @199,500 moles. In to the mechanic tomorrow.

Wow.. after 18 years and 200K miles, hard to say it has anything to do with a defect.

Sorry to hear about it. I loved my '98 EX AWD with stick-shift! Unfortunately, it met with a premature death.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,835

In response to some earlier posts---no, the AC cannot continue to operate once the compressor seizes, nor can the car for that matter unless you disconnect the serpentine belt---which on most cars, also drives other accessories.

It is imperative that if you hear any kind of compressor grinding, that you stop driving the car. Replacing the AC clutch is not too expensive, but if the compressor seizes, it will spread debris through the AC system, and you'll have a very large bill on your hands.

I've had two complete AC failures. The one in the NEON did make a loud squeal and when I started moving smoke came out from the hood (probably from the belt seizing?)? I was able to "fix" the problem by turning the AC off (took me a bit to figure it out). With the AC off, no noise and no smoke. It was expensive to fix.

In the A3 there were no noises, warnings, sensors, or smoke. It just decided to cool less and less over about an hour until there was just no more cooling or conditioning going on during a hot day and long drive. Turning the AC on or off didn't seem to make any difference that was noticeable. I was told the compressor did seize, that debris did spread throughout the system when it self destructed, and that it was going to be very expensive to fix. Fortunately I was close enough to warranty at 53,000 miles that Audi stepped up to do the job at zero expense to me. I also got to drive around an A4 2.0T loaner for 2 weeks while they gathered parts, and worked on it.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,835
    My coworker took his old CRV in for AC service, was just a bad relay; quick and cheap fix.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • berriberri Posts: 6,084
    Had the AC go out years back on a Mercury and it did the same gradual loss thing. Worst car for AC I ever owned was a Plymouth. Repairs never held up. Ironically, back in those days Chrysler was supposed to be known for it's Airtemp. Actually, the neighborhood I lived in back when I was based in Orlando had mostly Chrysler Aitemp central air units (Didn't know they were in that business) and I seemed to see a lot of HVAC contractor trucks there in the summer.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,067
    The BEST and coldest A/C were the GM cars from the 60's and 70's that used the large Fridgidare compressors and the R-12 freon! They would almost throw snowballs out the vents!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 46,864
    You could hang meat in there.. B)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• lbowyerlbowyer Posts: 1
    So, my 2008 Honda CR-V abruptly stopped working a couple of days ago. From the diagnosis, I need to replace the clutch/coil at an estimated $773. This DOES NOT include a new compressor. My concern is that down the line I will have wanted to make this replacement now - prior to incident (although the mechanic stated it is currently in good shape). The only option is a re-manufactured Sanden compressor (with clutch/coil) included at $980. Thoughts?