Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,354
    Recalls are for safety related items.

I just checked with the Parts Giru at the store that I just retired from.

Yes, the compressors that fit the 2007-2009 CRV's are on nationwide backorder at this time.

I asked abouit how many of these we had sold or replaced under warranty and the answer was ZERO.

This doesn't help the person with a bad one but this problem certainly isn't widespread it wouldn't seem.
  • wzly99wzly99 Posts: 6
    Hi Jeff-- I just had to get the whole A/C system replaced on my 2004 (60K miles) at Immke Northwest Honda in Dublin, OH last week. My service rep there said that it won't do any good for them to do the "goodwill warranty" request with Honda, and that I needed to contact American Honda directly. After my case was reviewed with American Honda, they have agreed to reimburse me $1315 of the $3069 system replacement.

On one hand, I think it's pretty dodgy for Honda to recognize that this system is prone to such an extraordinarily expensive malfunction and not warn customers and/or offer some solution across the board. Then again, I don't have any idea what the rate or frequency of this failure is on the whole, only that there are many, many instances of it documented online. But there are many, many CR-Vs out there, too. I'm very grateful to Honda for the substantial reduction in the net cost of this overwhelming repair bill, but I'm still undecided on how long it makes sense to keep the car, given this significant unknown.

Good luck to you!
  • wzly99wzly99 Posts: 6
    For my case resolution, see my reply to ohiojeff in post #1553. Sorry, I got lost in the multiple branching of threads! Good luck, cricket29!!
  • Hey there jeff,

I have an 06' cr-v with 119,000 miles. yesterday all is well, I take the wife to the grocery store. shop, climb in and start the motor, WHAM, a loud grinding noise is heard under the vehicle. when I push the A/C button, the noise disappears. It's in the dealer as I blog, getting a prognosis. :/
  • okiezmomokiezmom Posts: 2
    Last Friday at 5:15 p.m. my CR-V made a funny noise and the a/c started blowing hot air. Great timing! The local shop I always use couldn't look at it will Tuesday and then I got the bad news.....the whole a/c system has to be replaced at a cost of $1,600.00. The car has 132,000 miles. I've been researching this issue and found this site. It looks like there are lots of people with this exact problem. I also found out that there is a class action law suit and I've sent an e-mail to the attorney's office. Has anyone received anything from Honda about this? :mad:
    Maybe you can help me.

Your CRV has 132,000 miles and it needs to have the air conditioning fixed?

Seriously, do you expect it to last forever?

"class action lawsuit" I don't think so!
  • okiezmomokiezmom Posts: 2
    No, I don't expect it to last forever. I have read posts on this forum and realize that most of the people with problems with the compressors have lower mileage cars than mine. I thought I had a legitimate question. Sorry if I bothered you!
    You didn't "bother" me. I was just wondering if you expected every cmponent on your car to last forever!

Our 2003 CRV has 51,000 trouble free miles. If the A/C compressor failed tomorrow I wouldn't be happy and I would probably seek out some "goodwill" compensation.

After 132,000 miles I'm just surprised you are that upset.
  • belacquabelacqua Posts: 15
    My local dealership--with the presidential service award--offered no $$ or goodwill to help defray the cost of A/C replacement. It was expected.

I'm not sure what my next step is besides filing a claim with American Honda. I am either going to sell the CR-V or trade it in. I have been looking at Elements. I won't buy it from my local Honda dealer, however. I have also been looking at BMW X3s. I have another BMW and have been quite happy with the car and the service.

Some days I just feel deflated.
    It's not the dealership that makes the determination if they are going to "goodwill" something. It's Honda themselves.

A lot of it has to do with the kind of customer you have been. If the Service Manager can pull up extensive service records and show the Factory Rep that you have been a very loyal customer and have had all of your services done at the dealer instead of going to the Quickie Lube, you stand a better chance and rightfully so. I know that if I were the person making the call, those things could sway me.

I hope you didn't tell them that you planned to sell it and never buy another Honda. If you did that they would know they were only throwing those goodwill dollars away.

As a BMW owner I'm surprised you wojuldn't worry about frequency and cost of repairs which are MUCH higher than a Honda. Great cars but as they years and miles pile on they can be real money pits.

You may want to contact American Honda yourself. It couldn't hurt especially if you have been a loyal service customer.
  • dianawdianaw Posts: 7
    Been there done that, American Honda cant make the part appear OR cut the cost, the part needs to be recalled and unless the people with the problems call the NHTSA and file a complaint, there will be no recall. Honda does not set the recalls. This is an ongoing issue w/the compressors.

I own a 2001 Accord with well over 200,000 on it and the AC works like a charm, In fact the car runs real well. So Not all Hondas have issues BUT the CR-V has had compressor issues for many years, I followed this thread back and there were complaints about 2001 CR-V's. CALL the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. and file a complaint let the engineers check into it and see if it needs to be recalled.
  • mocharmochar Posts: 1
    I also just had to replace the AC on my 02 CR-V at a cost of $1,800. My mileage is only 86,000. I called Honda and they are not offering anything to help defray costs of fixing AC on 02 models. I didn't know there's already a class action lawsuit. Can you please provide name of law firm so I can also email them?

Thanks!
    :mad:
  • On Wed.afternoon while driving home from the beach, we heard a weird sound --sort of like running over rough rocks...Anyway, the A/C stopped blowing out cold air and started with the hot air....Promptly took it to my Honda dealership. Today, I was given a complete A/C compressor/clutch, etc...Honda dealeship said that the compressor broke in half..Don't know how much it would have cost me because I had the extended warranty......However, my husband's '03 Element has had nothing but problems with the A/C....After about 4 attempts to have it fixed, he just gave up....Not me, if I have anymore problems with this A/C, it's back in the shop for my CRV.....
    My 'O2 mileage is about the same as yours--maybe a little less. My quote to get the A/C fixed was $2989, so you must have gotten a deal at $1800! Did you have to get the whole thing replaced (they call that kit C)?

About Honda and BMW service--I did not get the CR-V serviced at the dealership; I got it serviced at an independent Honda Service place. As for the BMW, it's also an '02, a Z3 with 40,000 miles. I have an independent master BMW/Mercedes mechanic who takes care of it for me.

I really like that little Element, though. I will NOT purchase it from the local dealer, and I will let them know about it. These guys miss business logic: invest a few goodwill bucks in me without stipulation, and I will spend big bucks at your place for a new car. Work it forwards.
    Actually, I told them that I was seriously thinking about the Element with the dog package. Guess they either didn't hear me or believe me.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    >A lot of it has to do with the kind of customer you have been. If the Service Manager can pull up extensive service records and show the Factory Rep that you have been a very loyal customer and have had all of your services done at the dealer instead of going to the Quickie Lube, you stand a better chance and rightfully so. I know that if I were the person making the call, those things could sway me.

In the _old_ days lots of buyers were told they had to bring their car back to the dealer for service and only use their brands of filters and other products OR ELSE the company wouldn't stand behind their product.

I thought that was found illegal under a federal law. Not taking a car to the dealer could not be held against the customer for discriminatory treatment.

This message has been approved.

• psb71psb71 Posts: 1
    My 03 CRV with 86K miles on it has just had the A/C seize. I had called Honda prior to bringing it to the dealer. I was told they will help with my problem, we will see after they contact the dealer, who quoted me $1400 to replace everything. All these $3000 repairs sounds fishy especially after Honda is willing to get it down to about $1500. I never, ever had to replace an a/c unit. I only had to recharge them (normal thing to do). Living in New England makes the problem worse. We hardly use the a/c. Not a good impression on our first Honda. We traded in a 13 year old Nissan w/286,000 miles on it. The a/c worked just fine. Honda will not admit there is a problem. Go to other websites and you will read the samething as here. The Honda rep told me they are looking into 03-04 Crv a/c problems. Keep on Honda to do the right thing!!! Call corporate Honda, be kind about it, people equals power. One other thing, there is a pending class action lawsuit. The heat is on...
  • zgreat1zgreat1 Posts: 11
    edited July 2010
    Here's the scope. Whether it's 1 mile or 200,000 miles, if the manufacturer is aware that the entire a/c system is a design flaw, then the manufacturer should have the corporate responsibility to do the right thing. ... HAVE THE "BALLS" (sorry ladies, not being politically incorrect here...just can't find a shorter and stronger word to get the message across) to admit. BTW, I consulted a friend of mine who used to own an auto repair shop, he said that the CR-Vs have an "integrated" a/c system in that if the compressor failed (or "locked" up as frequently referred to by shop mechanics), then the entire system has to be replaced, PERIOD, nothing if about it (as some dealership would have you run a complete diagnosis to isolate the problem)!

I would accept the fact that a compressor could fail ONLY as a component by ITSELF based upon a "meantime between failure" principle. But for a compressor to fail and "destroy" the entire a/c system by contaminating the condenser/coil (integrated) and the rest of the a/c components, it is a DESIGN ISSUE (read DEFECT!). American Honda knows this and should replace all failed a/c system FREE OF CHARGE, recall or no recall!!

If I start by building a website to bring TOGETHER every Honda CR-V owner who has an a/c problem, whether he/she has received "goodwill" from American Honda to help defray the cost of replacement, will you join me by contacting your local media (newspaper, radio/tv stations, community outreach, etc.) to bring their attention to the website so THIS ISSUE will go national and pressure American Honda to do the right thing.

I have emailed NHTSA to let them know that driving without a/c in 100+F heat is a SAFETY issue especially if one has to transport young children (who are highly susceptible to heat) and elderly in areas where public transportation is non-existent. BTW, if the a/c is not working, very likely the "defrosting" system would not either. As such, it would make driving in rainy and cold weather EQUALLY DANGEROUS!

If you support my idea, let me know. I will foot the bill to get the website up and running and make American Honda pay its dues!!

THANKS!!!
  • I am new to this site, new to posting anything online. But I am MAD. I have a 2002 Honda CRV and at the moment I will have to replace the compressor for the 2ND time. The first time it went out was while we were on vacation in 2005, and I had 3,900 miles on it, the thing literally fell apart at the dealership. I forgot I had purchase the extended warranty (this is the first vehicle I have done that for) so we paid the $2,200.00. Come to find out I bought the extended warranty for the 7 year or 100,000 miles. I did get reimbursed by that company but here we are 5 years later and it went out again. I have 94,000 miles on it. I have contacted Honda and they say there's nothing they can do, and yes I was cordial. This is just a piece of crap part that should be recalled. Not for safety reasons, but for being a piece of crap. If I could even remotely afford a car payment I would be done with it, but for now I cannot. I don't know how to get the word out so other consumers don't buy this vehicle. I've had an Accord previously and it never had issues, but I guess with all the corners that car manufacturers are taking, it's a risk with whatever purchase you make. I just hope buyers will do research and realize that the CRV has this great risk, and more likely than not the A/C compressor will go out.
  • I forgot to add that I agree with you, that even though Honda is ignorant enough to say it isn't a safety issue, it is. Right now I can't even drive unless it's early in the morning or late at night, it's 107 degrees on average. So I'm risking my health and my children's when I do have to make a trip somewhere...