Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• I want to fill out my settlement claim form but I don't have the compressor replacement part number. I had the "compressor core plus clutch assembly" replaced back in 2005 by my local service guy (not Honda) and he didn't write down then replacement part number. All I know is the price ($788.18). I've looked online, but have not been able to get a useable number. Will try going back to the service guy - but what if he can't provide me with the correct info. Am I out of luck?

Thanks for any help. Would love to be able to get some of my $$ back.
  • I started this topic with the first inquiry. We still have that Honda CR-V, with over 100,000 miles. We have had to put 3 AC's into it, but only had to pay for 2, all by our local mechanic and not the Honda dealer. After I got the refund notice last month, it got me wondering what happened here. Well it is still going. It doesn't look like we will get a lot of money back, but hopefully some. I am glad something is being done, but it took way too long.
    Vivian Z
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    Six years and 2,000 posts later, it does finally seem like the problem is going away. Activity has slacked off. Then again, it's the dead of winter.

Funny to go back to the first few posts and read "Very few of these cause problems." Funny, unless you're an owner and your AC goes out.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dj1192dj1192 Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 CRV with 58,700 miles, A/C works fine...did they rework the compressor or re-design it? I'm thinking if so maybe I should just replace the original BEFORE it implodes causing all the issues I'm reading about.
  • shima1shima1 Posts: 19
    No such luck. It's a ticking bomb and the replacement has the same fatal flaw.
    It's immoral for Honda to have done this for 6 years.

Over 2K posts on thisforum but many more thousands on many other forums.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Posts: 10
    I just replaced the compressor at 97K. Haven't read everything on the class action, but it doesn't seem like I will get anything reimbursed since the mileage is over 96K. Has anyone had any success getting reimbursed? Are the replacements at the same risk? Any help would be appreciated
  • sissytoosissytoo Posts: 21
    I've had mine fixed twice. The first time, the air compressor just quit. I work in an office and hate going to work in dress clothes and no air, is hot here, so i fixed it. The second time, it actually locked up and tore the belt off, leaving me and my grandson stranded on the freeway.
    sissytoo -How long did the first replacement last before you had to replace it? Mine just stopped working, didn't lock up. But I was told the defroster wouldn't work and it had the potential to lock up, so I replaced it. Couldn't see driving without the defroster.
  • shima1shima1 Posts: 19
    Are the replacements at the same risk? Yes. It's criminal.
  • oathoath Posts: 7
    I replaced mine twice. The first time fron the Honda Dealer in 2005 when it was under warranty and the 2nd time from a local mechanic in 2010 because Honda wanted to replace the whole system again instead of the compressor alone. By then it wasn't under warranty.

I did get the form to fill out about the lawsuit. I filled it out, sent my receipts even though I don't think I'll get anything since my car was over 100,000 miles when it occurred the 2nd time. I now have 154,000 miles on my CRV and still going strong 10 1/2 years (2002 model) later.

I love my CRV.
  • Just recently (3/12) received a call from a local Honda dealer to tell me my '03 CRV had a safety recall. I looked up the recalls for my year, and found the last one was in 4/11 ! I've had my CRV in several times for service during that period, so the work should have been done. I was never advised of any recall, which says to me that someone fell down on the job.

I guess the government has no tracking device to determine which cars have had work done, or if they do, they aren't enforcing the law.
  • Wow! I just replaced the complete AC system on my daughter's boyfriend's 2004 CR-V and had my mechanic charge the system and all He double hockey sticks broke loose! What is the deal with HoA? This is ridiculous... is there really a course of action or is he out the $450 spent so far?
  • sjphillips8sjphillips8 Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Hi all, need some serious advice here. Like many of you, my AC went out and needs (according to Honda dealer) new compressor, dryer, and "evac/recharge"---total cost about $2200 at the dealer. It's a 2004 2wd CR-V with 135,000 miles on it, otherwise in great condition. Is it worth calling Honda customer service for this year/mileage--is there any chance they'll cover a part of the cost? Or should I try a private mechanic? Or trade in for a non 2002-2004 model CRV??? I did not take any action earlier this year in regards to the class action lawsuit, but know I'm over mileage for coverage with that anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • nicompnicomp Posts: 21
    Here's my humble opinion and I always get flack for it... you have a 9 year-old car with 135K miles on it. Honda never promised anyone that their vehicles would be problem-free for that long. You can ask, but don't get your feelings hurt when they say no.

Yes, it's a poor design and evidently the problem is chronic, but the warranty doesn't extend as long as some owners think it should.

I have a 2000 CR-V with a disintegrated AC compressor. It's been that way for about 60K miles and in the Summer it's hot. I cut off the drive belt when it locked up and I live with it. It stinks and I won't buy another Honda, but whoop, there it is. Life is tough.
  • nicompnicomp Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 CR-V with 150K miles. The interior is like new and I'm on my third set of tires. It's FWD, maybe that makes a diff.

The AC compressor disintegrated at about 90K miles, the rear window lifters don't lift anymore, the dash clock quit about 10 years ago, the hood and fenders are rusting a little, and the cat converter separated from the resonator when the bolts dissolved over 13 years of driving in Cincinnati salted winters. The plugs foul regularly because of those stupid tubes and gaskets funnelling oil directly onto them.

And the OBD connector is on the passenger side. Arrgh.

Other than that, it's a pretty good car.
    I read whatever I could find on the class action suit. It covers 15% up to mile 95000. After that you are out of luck. They never had a recall on this since it is not considered a "safety" issue. As far as what they want to charge, I would suggest going to a private auto repair shop if you have one you trust. Apparently Honda calls this issue the "black death" THere are a couple steps to fixing this and the shop I went to fixed the 1st step, then waited to see if the next step needed repair (it did) but then we were done after $1600. The next 2 steps didn't need to be fixed. They told me when people take their car directly to Honda, they just automatically replace everything whether it needs it or not. I was without my car for a week while they tested each step, but it was worth it so I didn't have to pay $2200.
  • sissytoosissytoo Posts: 21
    I have had my AC replaced twice. It is hot here in Tennessee, humid, and I have to wear dress clothes on my job, which is not good in heat/humidity. Both times, I went to private mechanics instead of Honda. The first time, Honda quoted me a final bill of.....insert drumroll......$6000!!!!! They kept coming out with their clipboard, adding this and that, then finally flushing the whole system, and an estimate of $6000. Needless to say, I had my oil change and left.
  • bbloverbblover Posts: 1
    I stopped going to the Honda dealer for service. I also got tired of the man with the clipboard trying to pad the bill. Has anyone gotten their checks from the airconditioning civil suit?
    Has anyone received compensation after the 95,000 mile cut off?