Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Performance and Towing Mods

steak2k1steak2k1 Posts: 24
edited May 2 in Dodge
I think I posted a message in the wrong section..apologies for being a newb here. This forum works a bit differently than most I am used to.

situation: 2005 Dak SLT 4.7L Auto

Need to tow 4200 lbs / 22' Coyote trailer thru Cdn Rockies. Reese WD and Dual Cam Sway cntrl installed.

Added KnN CAI, MagFlow Cat Back, Syn Oil, will run Premium fuel.

Still lookin for a 180 degree ThermoStat..but have had no luck in obtaining one.

No Superchip avail yet. And the Jet module for towing/performance is not rated well at all.

What else could I / should I do to improve the towing experience/HP/Torgue short of buying a diesel Ram 2500.

What are the suggestions surrounding the "Tow/Haul" Button...always or only uphill or what.? My Question stems from advice read here to not use OverDrive while towing and the fact that there are only 3 manual settings on the auto Tranny.

thanx in advanz

stk

Comments

• sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    Which gear ratio do you have, 3.55 or 3.92? For that kind of weight, I would recommend the 3.92s. The best improvement would be to add either a set of cams from the 4.7 High Output engine or a set from Hughes Peformance. You should pick up 15-20 ft-lbs of mid-range torque. There's no need to run premium fuel unless you are having pinging problems.

As far as the tow/haul mode goes, I was always under the impression that it should always be used while towing. On my 02 QC 4.7/auto, I can only turn the OD off, which puts the tranny into 3rd gear. I tow a 25 ft, 4100 lb (empty) TT. With the 3.92 gears it does well. I don't know if I would want to tackle a 10 mile long 6% grade at 10000 ft with it, though. You should also have a tranny cooler and run 75W-140 synthetic lube in the rear end, as well.
  • steak2k1steak2k1 Posts: 24
    Not sure at this time of gear ratio, but it is likely 3.55.
    Will definitely go with the syn lube in rear end. the cams .. well that is a pretty expensive upgrade that at this time is unaffordable. Tranny cooler is huge and std equip now with the 4.7.

Guess I gots to go with what I got...and see how she performs. Been told many times though that even with mid grade..this motor will likely ping..so I'll probably go with the premium anyway. company pays the gas.!

Stk
    At this time I am pretty sure the gears are 3.55 for no other reason that I did not specify the higher ratio when buying unit.

Rear end has 75W-90 Synthetic - just changed a week ago....with the Mopar limited slip additve as well.

thanx,

stk
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I have a friend with a 2003 4.7 that occasionally tows his tractor. The trailer and tractor go about 4000 lbs. His has never pinged.

With that kind of weight I would select "OD off," or the Tow-Haul mode for all your driving.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Well..that is just what I did on our July 1 long weekend. I figure i am about 4300 loaded. Trailer is "dry" at 3650: add the hitch, dual cam sway, WD Bars, minimal food and maybe 3-4 gal of water, clothes..yea about 4,100 to 4300.

The trip was through the Cad rockies and I did use tow/haul. There was only really one spot on an 8% grade that i went into first, kept the revs at about 4000 and up we went at about 50kmh.(30mph).

An extra 20-30 ft/lb of torque would be nice for sure when towing. Still waiting for the chip to come out.

Actually, being able to just turn off the OD would be a handy thing...As even with tow/haul, one can or so it appears, go into OD, albeit likely only 4th gear..??

Rgds,

stk
  • I mistakenly posted this question in the "Photo Gallery" section, so I thought I better re-post it here, where it will probably be read.

I purchased a 2000 2-door Dodge Dakota in 2003. I recently purchased a camping trailer which weights 3,200 lbs. The seller of the trailer said my truck will tow that weight with no problem since I have a 4.7 engine with a class III hitch, with 4 wheel drive. But as I look in my book there are different specs depending on whether you have a quad, club, or conv. cab. Believe it or not, I have no idea. I've looked in every piece of paper I've got on this truck, and nowhere does it tell me what I have. How do I tell? I have a back seat. Does that determine the model?

Love this site. Will really help me in the future, I'm sure. Thanks for any help on this question.
    Not an expert mind you, but i would think you have what is called and "extended cab" or "club" cab. Now whether that makes any difference in towing ability, I would doubt very much..? Towing capacity is based on total wieght of the TV and trailer. so I guess what they are saying is that with a Club cab your trailer cap would be higher as opposed with a Quad cab..given that with a quad cab you would likely have 2 more persons in the truck and that would drop your towing capacity.

Is 3200 lbs the dry weight without Weight distributing/sway bars, propane, and MT inside.? With a 4.7..should be able to do it. consider loaded it would probably be around 38-4000 lbs.

Check on the drivers side door panel (near the lock), and there you should see a sticker showing your vehicles GVWR and towing capacity.

rgds,

Stk
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Posts: 364
    Regular Cab:

Extended (Club) Cab:

Quad Cab:

Both the regular and club cabs for 2000 have only two doors. If there is enough room behind the front seats to have two mini/jump seats back there, then you have the club cab. Very little space and no seats = regular cab. The existence of a rear side window is also a givaway of it being a club cab over a regular cab.
    With a 4.7L, even with the 3.55 gears, you should be able to tow a 3200 lb trailer. Is it a pop-up or a travel trailer?

A few of things to keep in mind: 1) Make sure you have a transmission cooler, if you have the automatic transmission; 2) Make sure you run 75W-140 synthetic gear lube in the rear differential; 3) make sure you have electric brakes on the trailer.

Your towing capacities are listed in the owner's manual. They will depend on body style, 4x2 or 4x4, engine, and gear ratio.
  • Thanks for your reply. It is a regular trailer and weighs 3200 lbs, but I have to add in the sway hitch and other stuff, so it is probably closer to 4000. My book says I'm ok up to 5,000, so I guess I should be ok.

By the way, do I need to put the 75W-140 synthetic gear in the rear differential if I am running with a manual transmission, or is that just for automatics?

Thanks again.
  • Thanks, that clarified it for me. 3200 is the dry weight, so I do need to add the extra for sway hitch and propane, water etc. But the book says I can haul 5000, so I should be ok. Thanks again. Phil
  • Wow, pics! Man, if I didn't understand it from the other posts, I sure get it now. Makes sense and now I know I have a Club Cab. Thanks a lot! Phil
    The synthetic 75W-140 gear lube is required in the rear differential for towing, regardless of transmission type. That's buried in the owner's manual somewhere.

If you have a limited slip differential, you will also need to add the limited slip additive, if the gear lube doesn't already have it.
  • Thanks. I did take it to the dealer today and he recommended synthetic 75W-90, so I went ahead with what he recommended. He said 140 might be a bit too heavy. I guess it should work ok. He did do the slip additive as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Phil
    I am wondering if there is something in between the 90w and 140W for the rear diff and in synthetic. I just put Redline 10W40 synthetic in for an oil change and it seemed quite a bit lighter in texture/viscosity than std oil at 5W 30.

It might be worth it to go with the heavier lube in the rear diff even though I just changed it a while ago as well..and like Phil, they put in 75W-90 synthetic with LS additive. I did pull 4300 or so lbs thru the rockies without a problem..but i would hate to lose a rear diff up in the mountains...Especially seeing as we are going again in a week for vacation.

rgds,

Theo
    Right now I'm running the Redline 80W-140 in my rear diff. The 80W-140 comes with the limited slip additive, while the 75W-140 does not. I was surprised that when I switched to Redline gear lubes (75W-90 front and 80W-140 rear) that I gained about 2 MPG on the highway (non-towing).
  • Well since I just changed it I will probably keep it (the synthetic 75W-90) until I get ready to do some serious mountain climbing. Gaining 2 MPG on the highway is certainly worth spending a few bucks to put the heavier stuff in.
  • 4300 pounds thru the rockies! That's pretty good. What year/model etc. are you using?
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    An easy way to find towing limits for all Dodge vehicles model years 02-06 including the Dakota, just go to Dodge.com/towing. Type in your configuration, the page gives you GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, and recommended max trailer weight for your particular setup using the manufacturer's Curb weight number and adding in a 150 pound driver. Subtract the weight of all other passengers and cargo from the GCWR to get a safe trailer weight limit for your particular situation.

Then take the GVWR, subtract curb weight, weight of all passengers and cargo, weight of accessories and options, and that is a rough approximation of how much room you have for tongue weight.
  • My friend is looking to purchase a Dakota with a V6. A couple of times a year he will have to move a 2000lbs pontoon boat. Is this too much for the vehicle? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.