Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Noise, Rattles and Vibration

Comments

• i was having a problem with a front end noise since i purchased my vue but i could not be diagnosed because it never registered a computer code. now it's so bad it sounds like i am driving over a rumble strip at times, this does not happen constantly, just at 30-40 or 50mph when i drive at that consistant speed. it still does not register on the computer but the mechanic finally after driving it for 10mi felt the vibration for a "few seconds" the torque converter is gone and since I have 49K miles on it, not covered, the extended warranty i purchased, also doesn't cover it. $2k, but Saturn will be willing to SPLIT the cost with me!! My ? is, how many other 06 vue owners have or are having this same problem? I don't think I owe for this and am interested how common this issue is with this vehicle.
    thanks for helping
  • Just got a 2008 Vue XR and enjoying it, but not liking the LOUD turn signal. Is there a way to change this? Modify?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • Bearings on front end of Vue replaced and a strange noise is happening now. Year is 2003 when turning left or right rattling noise happens, going straight no noise. But when car parked if you push drivers side up and down you get a squeaking noise. I think it is bad strut and questioned mechanic on why he did not hear it, but got a strange look from him back. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
  • bri_brobri_bro Posts: 4
    I had read of wind noise issues on Vues (on message boards like this one), but it didn't seem to be a consistent issue among customers. So after I test drove a 2006 Vue from a dealership and didn't hear any wind noise, I thought it was an isolated issue. So, I purchased one a few days ago with the help of a dealer through an auction.

However, when I travel over 50km/h, I hear a consistent hum as the air passes over the windshield. I also hear some noise coming from the driver's side door but noticed some of the rubber had become loose. I figured if I reattach the piece at the door, that noise should disappear.

Has anyone had any success with reducing or eliminating the constant humming as the air passes over the windshield? I don't believe it is caused by the windshield wipers or the roof rack.

Other than this issue, I have no other complaints and love the power I get from the Honda engine!

Any information I receive would be greatly appreciated!
    :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    To test whether the windshield seal is responsible for the noise, you can place masking tape over the seal. If the noise goes away when driving with the tape in place then you've found the source.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks Tidester for getting back to be so soon and the wonderful suggestion.

I tried the tape but unfortunately, it didn't take away the noise.

I was able to contact the original person who leased the Vue and she said that the noise was there from the start. She admitted that she just didn't realize it was so bad until she got another vehicle.

Has anyone else noticed the pronounced wind noise when travelling on the highway? Are there any other ideas on troubleshooting the root cause and how it can be fixed?

Brian :cry:
    One more thought - are you sure the noise is coming from the windshield? External mirrors or something else might be responsible.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Sounds like another possibility. I'll have to look into it and find some other 2006 Vue owners and ask more questions.

Thanks again for your help,
    Brian :)
  • vinsharvinshar Posts: 3
    Hi to all,
    2006 model is great and fun to drive, I think mainly two reasons: Engine and Transmission from Honda (similar in use with Acura).
    Noise is troublesome and as per dealer this is design deficiency or GM does not care. There is no wonder people are less interested in buying GM vehicles as reliability for the life of vehicle is not there.
    Hello Tidester,

Well, I think I may have figured out the source of the wind noise - when I was barbecuing dinner! While outside, the wind was blowing quite a bit and I heard the "humming or buzzing" noise that I had heard while previously driving.

As it turns out, it appears to be coming from the roof (luggage) rack. As the winds swirled around, the sound would increase and decrease accordingly. For now, this mystery has been solved!

Thanks again for you insight!
    Brian :D
    That's great! Let us know if you come up with a remedy to eliminate the noise.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
    Sometimes crossbars get installed backwards so you may want to try swapping them around.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• greyboatgreyboat Posts: 2
    I have also had a number of problems with sevice at my local Saturn dealership. "New knid of car company" What crap!

I have been getting excellent service for my 2005 FWD Vue at a Chevrolet dealership. After all, the Equinox and Vue are almost identical.

Give it a try, you might be surprised.
  • greyboatgreyboat Posts: 2
    After repalcing the strut plate to cure a creaking noise when making left turns, my dealer now tells me that did not fix the problem and that the Control Arm needs to be replaced. (2005 FWD Vue) and wants $377 for just the part. I have read procedures about replacing control arm bushings. Can anyone tell me why the entire control arm has to be replaced?
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    You should check your swaybar links as they have been known to make creaks when you turn the wheel - the parts are cheap and you can do it yourself if you're comfortable working on it.

The links attach the swaybar to the strut. If you look there you'll see them. Grab one in the middle and turn it left and right. It should pivot freely. If its bad, you might even hear the creak that you describe. There's one on each side and they're approx 1 foot long and standing straight up when you look at them.

You can get the part with a warranty at Autozone for about $ 40.00 and replacement is 2 bolts and about 30 minutes if you're working slowly. If you need more info, post back and I'll find a picture.

Good Luck :shades:
  • I have realized this since several weeks ago on my 2008 V4 VUE with barely 10K miles on it. Every time I started my VUE and switch it to Drive and gave it a little gas. After several second driving when the gear changed for the first time, then after about 1 second of that, I could hear a click noise from underneath the car. Nothing was felt, but the click noise could definitely be noticed. After that, everything would be fine until the next time I started my car. It seems like ONLY happened every time the car was started. After starting, it won't happen again even I switched from D to P and switched it back, et al.

Anybody had the same issue? Any suggestions? Is this the Solenoid self checking sound? Thanks!
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Sure sounds like the ABS self check.
  • Thanks! When did this ABS self check usually happen? Each time the car was started? Also, why the noise happened after the gear switched for the first time?
  • Kthec, my Vue is making that same vibration noise that you discribed? I sounded like a rough road and would only last 5 to 8 seconds. What did the dealer find as the cause of the noise?
  • jlytxjlytx Posts: 1
    Did you fix the problem? Do you have a vibration or noise when you step a little at gas?
    Thanks
  • djettdjett Posts: 1
    Here's my issue. I have an 03 Vue 2.2 liter 2wd 155k miles that I purchased used in March of 09. A few weeks ago (Nov 09) my "Change Oil Soon" light came on. I knew it was close to changing it but didn't. I didn't read my owners manual when the light came on. Yesterday (Dec 10/09) I stalled out on the freeway and my oil indicator warning light came on. This is the 1st time I ever saw it. I restarted and carefully drove to a gas station. Car was knocking like crazy. I checked the oil level and it was bone dry. I bought 3 Quarts of oil and added to the car, let it sit a while and check oil level again. The dipstick showed that i was ABOVE full. I thought that was strange. The car holds 5 quarts and it went from empty to overfull with 3 quarts of oil. I drove home sounding like a 75 Mercedes diesel and parked it overnight. Spoke to my father-in-law who used to work service for Mercedes and he advised me to put a heavy weight oil in and bring it to his house for further inspection. After the car sat all night I went out in the morning to add extra oil but it was still over full.
    I drove to in-laws house and we drained 2 quarts, added a quart of ATF and 1/2 pint of Seafoam engine/oil cleaner. Ran the car, let it sit, and ran it again. Drained everything. Added 20w/50 (5 quarts) and new filter. Let it idle for 10 min and tick/knock was still there. Then it went quiet. Then knock came back. Did that a few more times and In-law said it seems like the lifters were cleaning up some and to drive it for a few days. I took it home and it did seem to quiet down some but still has a tick.
    Was wondering if this was/is an accurate treatment for sticky lifters or based on my earlier description of what happened could this be the problem? Is my engine shot or could it be another problem entirely? I know these cars have belt issues but would that make it sound like an old diesel? Like I said, It does seem to be quieting down some but it could just be my optimistic ears wanting to hear it be quiet.
    Any advice/comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated
    djett
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    That's quite a story! The 2002 - 2003 4 cylinder Vues had their share of timing chain issues, there was a problem with the chain oil nozzle. You may want to have the chain checked before it breaks and destroys your engine. A timing chain that is getting ready to break will make your car sound like a diesel.

Don't mess around with timing chain issues - get a competent mechanic to check it out...
  • jac72jac72 Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Vue, V6, The starter makes a noise after releasing the key, like the bendix is hanging up, Whirling noise that lasts for 2-3 seconds then winds down. The original starter made the noise, replacement starter made same noise but not as often, 3'rd starter same noise, and 4th starter from different manufacturer same noise. Always does it when cold, and randomly at other times. Took it to Saturn dealer, they checked the flywheel, it's ok, and told me it was the starter. I told them it has had 4 starters and they all do the same thing and their response was sorry, it's the starter.Any ideas out there? I am pulling my hair out.
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XE AWD, just had the front right strut replaced by Saturn however I still have the same rattle when driving on uneven roads and rough roads. I will be taking the Vue back in but would like some suggestions what to look at.
  • I have an XR with the same rattle but out of warranty. I am advised the rt frt strut is faulty inside. Cost to replace both almost $700.00 with no after market. However, you still have the rattle. I will be interested in what Saturn does next. I am reluctant to have it repaired with the knowledge that you still have a rattle. Does Mcpherson itself warrant them ?
  • The Vue is still under warrenty and they just order a strut mount and a strut bearing. Hope this resolves the rattle. This is occurring on the same side as yours and they already replaced my rt frt strut but still did not correct the problem.. A relative suggested to let Saturn know to look at the mount and bearing because that happened to him as well. It seems like a common problem. Haven't done a search yet on hidden recalls on the Saturn Vue. Hope this information helps.
  • Had the exact same thing on my '09 fixed. The dealer darn near replaced the whole right front. I still have the problem though. They replace the strut, the bearings, and abar of some sort but I hear the rattle. The car has 31k miles on it so its under warranty. My work was done just about a month ago. I really hope this gets resolved cause the car would be really nice to ride in if it does.
  • So, the '08 VUE my wife drives that has 46,000 on it has started clunking, and has a grinding/crunching noise that is clearly coming from the strut mounts. Driver's side a little louder than the passenger side.
    It was a brutal winter here in the Twin Cities for rutted and pot holed streets. :cry:

No biggie, I'll just order up a pair of mounts, sway bar links, along with a new pair of struts since I'll be in there working anyway, and put them in on some Saturday in the next month or so.

Seems the struts and mounts aren't available in the aftermarket yet.
    Sway bar links I can get through Rock Auto for about $33.00 each.

I hate the thought of buying these parts from a GM dealer at an inflated price. Not to mention the waiting for them to come in.

Guess she will have to turn up the radio in the meantime.

Dang it!
  • sweepspearsweepspear Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I've done some more research, and the struts for the Chevy Equinox, and Pontiac Torrent are available. To the best of my knowledge both are built on the same platform as the VUE.
    ACDelco part #'s 506-690 & 506-691.
    $195.00 each. Ouch.

Still searching for the strut mounts.
  • dmzemprdmzempr Posts: 2
    I hope you have better luck than I do. The car is going in this Monday for a replacement battery mount and yes, to work on the clunking noise. Wish they would pull another tech to take a look and help fix it. I feel bad for the one guy since he's tried to fix it the other two times.

Dave