Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• yuryyury Posts: 146
    3 cars not quite the same as 1.3 million cars

Look...My point was very simple - unless you research a model that you buy it's easy to end up with a not impressive japanese car. Maybe overall there's a difference, but I would not call it decisive and thus making generalized approach not practically viable.

Another thing....Americans seems to be doing better nowdays than they were before. There's been enough crap cars made by americal auto industry in 90s...Cavaliers, Corsicas, Tauruses....you name it. If CR data is long term it must include a great deal of those.
    And even the above statement deserves carefull analysis, because it's kinda mixed up and depends on a particular manufacturer. To me it seems (personal impression) GM is imporving, but Chrysler may not. Don't have a feel for Ford.

Then what about such Japanese manufacturers such as Suziki, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan. Nissan's Sentra is a so-so car, Maxima's reliability is no more than about average, Mazda had it's problematic cars in the past...

Given all that, i think it's prudent to stop generalizing. It's the same as with Hundai....Common generalization in the past was that Koreans suck. Now, does current Sonata suck ? I don't think so.
    2005 LS, family rented it for three days, and together we probably put 300 miles on it, and it delivered worse economy than my larger more powerful Accord (the biggest downer considering the fact that it didn't have a ton of usable power).

i find this odd. i compared all V6 Malibus and V6 Accords for years 05 through 07 and found that Accords have consistently lower fuel mileage.

I used Ontario goverment test data for this comparision.

were your driving conditions identical ? i find that sometimes it's easy to make a mistake comparing different routes.
    Let me put a different spin on this discussion.
    Let's go back in time and imagine we're having this discussion on 2005.
    V6 Camry vs V6 Malibu. Camry - 210 hp (lowered to below 200 for 06), Malibu - 201. Torgue the same, but a on lower rpm for Malibu. Mileage about the same, 0-60: Camry 7.6, Maliby 7.8.

I fail to see much difference other than the price and depreciation. Well, ok 05 Camry's interior is nicer.

Ok, granted, Camry jumped ahead in 07...Malibu got a few more hp, but not as much. Good work on Toyota's part.

So, should we say rephase the statement than ... "Malibu lacks this and that compared to Camry in year 2007" ? The statement looses a lot of it's power now, does it not ?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I just found your flaw...I have a 4-cylinder Accord, and never said the mileage in a Cobalt was better than the mileage in a V6 Accord, just Accord. The 4-cylinder Honda is even rated higher in the EPA tests than the Cobalt. I would expect the 145 hp Cobalt to have much better economy than the 244 hp Accord V6.

It was the same commute; my parents got rear-ended in their 2003 Accord back in 2005, and had a rental until they bought their 2005.

For the record, I average about 30 MPG in my Accord on my typical route (7 miles stop 'n' go, 7 miles @ 70MPH interstate). I'll be honest, and say that I don't remember the exact figures the little Chevy got, but I remember being surprised at how we got better figures in our (then a 2003) Accord. Since, we have had a 2005, and I have a 2006 EX, and all get/got the same mileage for each driver.
    So, should we say rephase the statement than ... "Malibu lacks this and that compared to Camry in year 2007" ? The statement looses a lot of it's power now, does it not ?

Or we could just say that the Malibu lacks power compared to the Camry, since this discussion is typically about cars currently on the market.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Posts: 218
    Personally, I believe if you ask someone to pick one of the three cars that they would pick the Camry or Accord over the Malibu.

The chevy would be my last choice.......cheap interior, not the greatest build quality, and so-so (boring) looks. I think most people would agree.

Also, if you want a very very fast car, you wouldn't by any of them.
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    It believe if you ask someone to pick one of the three cars that hey would pick the Camry or Accord over the Malibu.

As an experiment, why won't you ask me?... I think anybody is qualified to be a "someone" --- go ahead, ask away!...
    For the record, I average about 30 MPG in my Accord on my typical
    route (7 miles stop 'n' go, 7 miles 70MPH interstate). I'll be
    honest, and say that I don't remember the exact figures the little
    Chevy got, but I remember being surprised

If you read the postings on the "Malibu MPG" board, you will probably
    agree that 30 MPG is achievable (with the driving pattern of yours) in
    any Malibu, which is a less economical car than Cobalt.

Also think about how you measured the rental Cobalt's fuel economy:
    you probably only filled it once, with your 300 miles of cumulative
    driving, right? In this case, you wouldn't know how much fuel was in
    the tank in the beginning. Even a one gallon inaccuracy at this run
    with Cobalt's economy would result in a noticeable error -- play with
    the numbers yourself.

I am not saying that you were wrong, I am just pointing out certain
    things you may want to think about.
    I would agree, IF that post were modified to say "for the same money, most people would pick the Camry or Accord over the Malibu." The Malibu is less expensive (I don't know exactly what a loaded Malibu costs, and I don't mean sticker - what do they go for?). A Malibu SS seems comparable enough to Camry and Accord V6 models (240 hp, 4-speed).

The Malibu is a clearance rack car, best I can tell. You get a lot of product for the outlay, but it is on the clearance rack for a reason: nobody was willing to pay full price; it just wasn't desirable enough to the buying public.
    Certainly our mileage estimate from the Cobalt may have been skewed if the tank was not filled properly. I guess I would just hope that an economy car would return great fuel economy, not economy "comparble" to an Accord. Since I do not know the exact numbers, only that we were surprised by how mediocre they were, I'll leave this point alone. I shouldn't have brought up the Cobalt anyway since it is off topic. Sorry for that.

Moving on...

If I can get higher than average EPA numbers in an Accord, I likely could in a Malibu, you are right. But at some point, the fact that the car is a 3.5L V6 with a 4-speed will catch up with it mileage-wise when comparing to a 2.4L 4-cyl with Variable Valve timing and a 5-speed.

That raises a question that I don't know the answer to...does the Malibu still come with the 2.2L Ecotec from the Cobalt? Or is the 3.5L standard now? I didn't know if any of that changed with the facelift the Malibu got recently. Thanks,

TheGrad
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    And ask me. I think back to last year at this time...car shopping. Let's see...there was the 2003 Accord with 80,000kms with a strange noise from the engine and NOT a good test drive experience but yet the overly arrogant Honda salesman wanted over $20k for that car and others like it! No full airbag set up, not near the power of the Malibu, many more km's, older model, virtually no warranty left.
    So yes I picked very wisely, the top rated 05 Malibu. I wont go over the price and details again, you can look back at my posts for that.

I did lots of research, lots of test drives and in the end, the Malibu was the true quality value over the rest, its why I chose it! I'm not a kid buying their 1st car here. I've done it alot in the past 30 and have always come out the winner but yet no Hondas or Toyotas ever purchased by me. Hmmm...how can this be? I must be an idiot, broke, always driving a broken down North American car or paying to get it out of the shop. Not so. Not even close.

Most people buy with a price in mind, they're on a budget.
    I happened to get more than I set out to with less money. No amount of blabbering on about other cars can change that fact. I saved money, got a great car and came in under budget. Couldnt have done that buying a comparable import, simple as that. And believe me, I tried!

I've come to trust my own judgement and it's been proven to be very reliable. Now I'll drive the 05 Malibu for the next 5-10 years and prove once again that MY cost of ownership will beat most anyone's.

A FYI....anyone interested in one of the safest cars in this class, the Malibu is doing even better for 07.
    Now number 3. Above Honda and Toyota and only beat out by an Audi and a Subaru.
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=30
    That raises a question that I don't know the answer to...does the
    Malibu still come with the 2.2L Ecotec from the Cobalt? Or is the
    3.5L standard now?

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that if
    anything, it is the 2.2L Ecotec that is the true standard in the 2006+
    sedans. One needs to go rather high in the sedan lineup in order to
    get the 3.5L engine (that was my impression from studying the 2006
    lineup.) In the year 2005, 2.2L Ecotec was only offered in the very
    base sedan; the LS and LT levels had the 3.5L engine.

The 2.2L Ecotec is a marvelous engine -- you probably know that apart
    from the Cobalt, Malibu and G6 (?) it also goes into Saab -- and GM's
    European models, such Opel (if things haven't changed by now).

People are claiming to be able to get up to 40 mpg in a 2.2L Ecotec
    under good conditions. My personal peak on a 2700-miles trip through
    rains and mountains was 36.3 mpg, at the average speed 59 mph
    (measured by the distance / fuel purchased).
    I've come to trust my own judgement and it's been proven to be very reliable. Now I'll drive the 05 Malibu for the next 5-10 years and prove once again that MY cost of ownership will beat most anyone's.

Tell me, what lottery numbers should I pick? ;)
    Just buy the most expensive ticket, recommended by a Lottery Report --
    and you are going to win with any number! :-)
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    Tell me, what lottery numbers should I pick?

Haha...if I could do that I'd be posting on the Lamborghini forum...from my private island....while my harem girls fan me and feed me grapes.....and ;)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Now I'll drive the 05 Malibu for the next 5-10 years and prove once again that MY cost of ownership will beat most anyone's

My brother bought a truck for $800, and he is still driving it today (8 years later). $100 dollars per year, how's that for true cost to own. Low true cost to own is easy, if you buy used (a car someone else picked out, and drove around for a couple of years). If you want a car you choose yourself (new) it will cost more, but I would rather not drive someone else's hand-me-down car.
    Since you mentioned the 03 Accord, I did a little checking. Seems that if you want to get the same horse power (240) as my Accord 3.0L you have to get the 3.9L engine in the Malibu. This engine is almost a full liter larger, not nearly as smooth or quiet, it's also heavier, and less fuel efficient. Wow, what a bargain. What does the SS stand for? Super Slug.
    Since you did a comparison, I did some, too:

--------------------
    Honda 2003 LX V6 Coupe:
    Engine: 3.0L 240 hp V6
    Horsepower: 240 @ 6250 RPM
    Torque (lb-ft): 212 @ 5000 RPM
    Economy: N/A
    --------------------
    2007 Chevrolet Malibu: LT2 or LTZ
    Engine: 3.5L 217 hp V6
    Horsepower: 217 @ 5800
    Torque (lb-ft): 217 @ 4000
    Economy: 22 / 32 mpg
    --------------------

Do you think that the torque 217 @ 4000 RPM makes a weaker engine than
    the one that has it at 212 @ 5000 RPM? Is Malibu's fuel economy
    listed above not good enough?

SS stands for Super Sport if you happen not to know. Hurling insults
    doesn't make your point any stronger, IMHO.

Thanks.
    Why did you pick a 5 year old V6 Accord to compare with the Latest Malibu Sedan? Your engine info is a little skewed since you picked the Accord before the horsepower bump.

He didn't mention the 3.5L, he was comparing power in the 3.9L vs. the 3.0L in the Accord. What economy does the 3.9L get in the Malibu SS?
    Do you think that the torque 217 4000 RPM makes a weaker engine than
    the one that has it at 212 5000 RPM?

When it comes to performance, YES, horse power matters most. The smaller 3.0L Accord engine is smoother, quieter, and more powerful than the Malibu's 3.5L engine. Since these cars are only rated to haul 1,000 pounds, your extra 5 pounds of torque is wasted.
    Why did you pick a 5 year old V6 Accord to compare with the Latest
    Malibu Sedan?

Only because I think elroy5 was originally used his 2003 Accord for
    comparison. No?

He didn't mention the 3.5L, he was comparing power in the 3.9L vs. the
    3.0L in the Accord.

I noticed. I was asking his opinion on M-3.5L vs A-3.0L. Could not
    ask?

What economy does the 3.9L get in the Malibu SS?

Look it up if you are curious.
    When it comes to performance, YES, horse power matters most...

OK, the point is taken. Just was wondering what you thought about
    Malibu's 3.5L engine.

What do you think about Malibu/3.5L's fuel economy, in comparison to
    your Accord/3.0L? Are they comparable?
    I just found your flaw...I have a 4-cylinder Accord, and never said the mileage in a Cobalt was better than the mileage in a V6 Accord, just Accord. The 4-cylinder Honda is even rated higher in the EPA tests than the Cobalt. I would expect the 145 hp Cobalt to have much better economy than the 244 hp Accord V6...

was that addressed to me ? I can't recall talking about Cobalt's mileage at all.
    Ok :) so the outcome of such discussion would be volatile like the stock market :)
    If some manufacurer makes a breakthrough, does it negate the the history of the close competition of the prior years ?
    If you go back to post number 95 (one you made, I was talking about a Cobalt, but I think you thought I meant a Malibu. It isn't a big deal :)

After reading it now, I can see how it got mixed up.
    No, it surely doesn't, but I can almost guarantee that nobody will want to be talking about the old Malibu when the new one comes out, since it will only be on pre-owned lots and in driveways already. People will have generally reached a conclusion about the car already. I didn't mean to imply we can't talk about it, because that's not my place to say!
  • If anyone here is considering buying the Cobalt, I would suggest considering the Malibu instead. For about the same gas mileage, you get a bigger, more comfortable car. If you can afford the difference in price, go for it. You can find lease turnins with 10K miles or so for a good bargain. In the Richmond, VA area, Saturn of Richmond has a 2004 Malibe 4 cyl. for the asking price of $11,995. As far as the imports are concerned, I haven't had any problem with GM (knocks on wood) and have owned GMs since 1982.
    If you go back to post number 95 (one you made, I was talking about a Cobalt, but I think you thought I meant a Malibu. It isn't a big deal

ok, got it :)
    If anyone here is considering buying the Cobalt...

wow, that's weird. i just checked - Cobalts (with auto) mileage is the same as the 4 cyl Malibu. even worse on the highway. what's up with that, it's the same engine, right ?
    What do you think about Malibu/3.5L's fuel economy, in comparison to
    your Accord/3.0L? Are they comparable?

I think the Malibu's 3.5L mileage is pretty good, for that size engine. Large gears in the transmission probably have something to do with that. If I was very concerned about gas mileage, I would have bought an I4 Accord. My V6 gets mileage as good as my old 4cyl. Accord did in the city, and better on the highway, so I'm happy with it. Now I have 100 more horses, with about the same mileage. Can't knock that.
This discussion has been closed.