Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    Gotta be careful here - if Honda and Toyota keep cutting back on quality some of that premium is going to start going away down the road.
    I predict Toyota takes a major image hit with their annoucement of stopping sales and production of half their product line until they solve the "sticking gas pedal" issue......

This is a major step by an auto manufacturer to STOP both production and sales until a problem is solved........believe there is a major issue either with a component or engineering design problem which is safety related.......so much for quality control! This problem has been around for more than a year now....and they still havent found a solution to it....
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    As they should. They were selling cars for 5 DAYS after the recall, which is against the law. I wonder if someone purchased a car in those 5 days if they have a right to bring the car back for a full refund?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/report-toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-se- lling-recalled-mod/
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,201
    It gets worse:

"On a related note, Toyota dealers are also reportedly getting instructions from the Mother Ship on how to answer questions related to the recall. AN editor James B. Treece reports that when asked if any accidents have been reported, dealers are encouraged to respond, "The number of accidents is still under investigation" without further confirmation. As Treece notes, the spin continues, as just a simple yes or no would suffice."
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Once a lier always a lier.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,189
    Honnestly, dealers are going to try and stay out of it as much as possible and avoid getting sucked into litigation. I think their main concern right now is whether they can get some flooring cost relief from Toyota while this thing plays out.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you can continue to sale a model during a recall as long as their is a "Fix" that can be applied to remedy the issue for cars on the lot.....what hasnt been announced in a general terms is that Toyota has NO FIX at the moment to this issue....thus they were obligated not to continue sales.....which compounded the production issue.....why build when you dont have a solution.....again....its either an engineering design problem....or a ECM issue controlling the throttle.....either way.....a major PR problem for Toyota....
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I just went past my local Toyota dealer this morning and saw salesman outside showing people a 2010 Camry and a Corolla; r they suppose to be doing this? I thought since there is no fix at this time they can't be showing the vehicles to anyone since those models are affected?
    showing and buying are to different things.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    ".....r they suppose to be doing this?"

It could be that this is a Denso equipped car, and not a CTS equipped one.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I only commented because the guy with the 08 malibu having problems with the catalytic converter just brought back many memories to me of the stuff I went through for over 20 years with the GM cars I had; you might be one of the lucky ones that has a malibu that has had no problems, consider yourself lucky and enjoy your car!

--------------

1. I don't think I am "lucky", the Malibu is widely regarded as a well made car.
    2. One doesn't have to read the paper long to realize Japanese (Toyota) quality is a myth.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Nowadays I think quality is almost a crap-shoot. Sure, there are outliers that are still new on the market (the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon come to mind as poor-quality/unreliable vehicles in comparison to average), but most are going to be good, not great anymore. Toyota and Honda in the past stood out as particularly high-quality vehicles, and I don't believe that was a myth at all. My '96 Accord reminds me of that truth for 70 miles daily.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    1) Japanese quality is not a myth; that is just a lie GM loyalist, like yourself, come up with to try and hide behind the fact that GM was in the crapper and built poorly made cars for years up until just recently

2) Plus, the Malibu was not widely regarded as a well made car until the 2008 model year - its still relatively new so its got a few more years till we see if its long term reliability lasts - thats why I like Motortrend's long-term update section

you guys seem to be obsessed with Toyota because in everyone of your posts you either mention them or attack them profusely - take a chill pill guys, its only a car company
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Everybody seems to want to pile on Toyota, but I think Toyota will be fine. I'd be willing to bet the Camry still outsells every other midsize sedan this year. No car is perfect, and EVERY car company has recalls.
    >EVERY car company has recalls.

Hmmmm.
    How many recalls did Toyota have within the last 12 months corporate wide?
    How many recalls did GM have within the last 12 months corporate wide?
    Etc., Ford.
    Nissan?
    Honda?
    I haven't looked it up. I only know my own situation. My Honda had 1 recall. My Chevy truck has so many recalls, it would probably take the dealership a week to fix them all (at least 10). I can understand a recall for computer/technical related stuff, but recalls for simple stuff like seat belt material or seats that fail on impact are things that are easily prevented, by not using sub-standard materials and shoddy craftsmanship..
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    2004 thru 2009 ( in ,000 of units )

GM............ 10,500 .. 4,998 .. 1,370 .... 547 .. 1,749 .. 2,239
    Ford.............5,800 .. 6,715 ...1,739 .. 5,534 .. 1,605 .. 4,522
    Chrysler....... 5,800 .... 836 ... 1,874 .. 2,060 .... 337 ..... 590
    Toyota......... 1,100 .. 2,374 ..... 657 ..... 638 ...1,039 ...4,912

source: NHTSA database

Make your own judgement. Until last year the leader in recalls was normally either GM or Ford.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Also Camry's and Corolla's made in Japan, with a VIN beginning JT..., are not included in the recall and can be sold normally.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    My 08 GM car had more go wrong within 1yr of leasing than my 06 Accord did its whole lease.

Just because the Malibu has a new pretty face, doesn't mean it'll be any better in terms of longevity than the previous model. GM just seems to cover everything up with a new pretty face.
    >Recalls going back 6 yrs

Things have changed. I asked about 1 year recalls? Who's the leader? :)
    For toyota, the total recall of cars now stands at 9.5 million, 4.1 million for gas pedal problem and 5.4 million for floor mat problems. The number of cars recalled is more than what the company has sold last year (7.8 million vehicles were sold world-wide last year)
    Things have changed

That's what they keep saying, but then, they've been saying that a lot longer than 6 years. My father's 99 Malibu was supposed to be up with the competition too. NOT even close. Didn't fall for it then, and I'm not falling for it now.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    According to GM their commercial specifically states "we've been doing right since day 1". This is straight from the company themselves. And that was on a brand that is now "DEAD". Hmmm... Really? Let's still add more cars to the line up to blur that issue.

Perhaps Toyota, will just forget about the Camry and just make a new car? GM does it all the time. FAIL! :lemon:
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    EVERY car company has recalls.

Yes, but not EVERY car company has recalls and is then forced to stop selling their cars which is the case with Toyota.
    Yes, but not EVERY car company has recalls and is then forced to stop selling their cars which is the case with Toyota.

I'm sure GM has had such a recall before, if not more than one.
    You have to remember that day one for this company was what July of this year. So they are speaking the truth.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Japanese quality is not a myth, the myth is that their cars are substantially better than GM or Ford. The other myth is your point that all Japanese cars are the same, just nonsense.

GM has been getting progressively better for years and the assertion that all their cars were "crap" up until recently is also nonsense.

People are not "obsessed" with Toyota, but those that haven't drunk the kool-aid are tired of hearing about how wonderful Toyota is and now that they have been shown to be hiding problems why wouldn't people talk about. 19 people are dead, it's a safety issue not a faulty switch.
    Listening to Ed Cole (past CEO of American Motors and a Toyota dealer) on Detroit radio this morning say that there is little difference in the reliability of the majority of cars now compared to 15 years ago. There are a few that are at the bottom.

If Toyota gets their reality check in gear and stop treating Americans as dumb fish to be scaled of their dollars, they can recover.

I would like to read more about comparing the cars than hasseling each other over the past of the cars or their peers or the current problems of one company. There are other topics here where that's being fought out by defenders of toyota's purity.
  • Who cares if Toyota has a gas pedal recall. A few hundred or a few thousand Toyotas being affected by the gas pedal problem out of 9.5 million vehicles is not bad. I don't see anything wrong with that. I am not worried about Toyota. The Camry will continue to do well and will continue to outsell the competition.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    ....if you're done comparing Malibu, Camry, and Honda, I guess there's no reason to keep this one open. OR, you can go over to Auto News and continue.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.