Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    I am glad you are having a good experience with your Malibu.
  • I am wondering if the malibu's catalytic converter problem is rare or more?
    This car is less that 2 years old about 25k miles and must replace the catalytic converter - plus there are no parts. Special item order to have a part made out of the country and shipped. Warranty item thank goodness but without the car for 2 weeks, seems ridiculous. Any other malibu's with bad catalytic converter ?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,004
    Your dealer should give you a loaner. A few years ago I had a Taurus that was several years old, but still under warranty. Different problem, but It had to wait for parts and the Ford dealer gave me a loaner until they came in and the car was fixed. It is totally unreasonable to be without a car that is still under factory warranty for two weeks because GM can't deliver the part. I thought there was a "new" GM promised after the government bailed them out?
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    this is exactly the reason I stopped buying GM vehicles after doing so for almost 40 years! my very last GM, a 2004 Malibu had major engine components fail, such as catalytic converter, power steering pump, alternator, and several other things when the car was just passed out of factory warranty and was only about 3.5-4 years old

that malibu was the final straw with me and GM; that was about the 4th or 5th GM product in a row that I was putting between 2-4k dollars in when the car was about 3-5 years old to replace things that broke or wore out under the hood

your situation has just reassured me that I made the right decision in not buying GM anymore; at the age of your malibu and the age my malibu was, you should not be having these kind of problems with a car that is still relatively young; these types of problems should not occur until the car is maybe 7-8 years old, at the earliest

I switched to Japanese vehicles and couldn't be happier and have had no problems like I did with the pontiacs, buicks, and chevys I had over the years

being that your car is an 08 and having this problems just proves to me that GM is still in the crapper and all they have done thus far is put a new face on their product but still continue with the same old crap problems under the hood

best of luck with getting your malibu fixed! in all the years I had my GM vehicles in the dealerships for service, three separate dealers in fact, I never once got a loaner car! only a shuttle service, even when it was still under warranty!
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    smarty:

While I am sorry about the problems with your 2004 GM vehicle, the 2008+ Malibu is a very reliable car and the catalytic converter is not a common issue.

Making broad statements that Japanese vehicles have no problems is complete and utter nonsense and untrue.
    I own an 08 Pontiac G6 and I also had to have my catylic converter replaced. The engine was acting very weird and sluggish. Took dealer a long time to figure it out. The part also had to be special ordered. I chose not to drive the car while having this issue and waiting for the part. I was given a loaner. The Malibu and G6 share the same engine and parts. Also, it seems as though other GM cars have had this issue. I did describe my story in the G6 forum.

At this time, it is better, but now have the issue with the transmission being jerky and slipping in 1 gear. At this time, I have chosen to be quiet about the issue, its already been brought up, but if I state it again. It could hurt my trade in value with my dealer in which sells other NON GM cars. Not my problem. I now have 26,000 miles on it. I will trade in the Spring.

believe my car is about 60% lemon, according to the issues had thus far.
    your absolutely right, I did tend to make a broad statement about Japanese cars, but the data still shows that the Japanese cars have best reliability and hold their value the best of all the car manufactures

I never once said in my post that Japanese vehicles do not have any problems; I said that the ones I have had since switching away from GM have not given me any troubles like the GM vehicles I had over the years; you need to start listening and reading more carefully to what people said; I'm not saying that there aren't problems with Japanese cars, even the more efficient and reliable automakers have at least 1 or 2 cars per 100 they produce that are easier put together wrong or have problems

I only commented because the guy with the 08 malibu having problems with the catalytic converter just brought back many memories to me of the stuff I went through for over 20 years with the GM cars I had; you might be one of the lucky ones that has a malibu that has had no problems, consider yourself lucky and enjoy your car!
    I will say this, their has been some improvement in GM since I stopped getting GM vehicles but I have been really impressed with direction, progress, and quality that FORD is heading in; I would say right now that Ford is about 5-8 years ahead of GM

You can understand that after having GM vehicles for almost 30 years, each one having major problems that costs me a fortune to maintain and keep up, it is going to take me awhile to ever even consider going back to GM or Ford

I am going to give Ford and GM another 10 years before I would even consider looking at getting a vehicle from anyone of them because I think it is going to take that long to really see if things have changed for the better! I am optimistic, at least with Ford, that they will make a comeback!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I have a question for you. Wife had a 07 Caddy STS with Nav. In the 39 months that she drove it outside of a recall on a rear seal that was prone to leak (hers didn't) she only had 2 issues with the car. Both were with the Nav Unit. First one was the display was very dim when it was in the 20's or colder, the other was the Nav. couldn't find the sats which gave a red circle with the dia. line through it as in NO SMOKING signs have. Now do I blame G.M. for this or do I chalk it up to the German Company who made the Nav Unit and its 1/2 partner Toyota? I guess I just have to wonder who made the cad. Converters on the car you are refering to. :confuse:
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Now do I blame G.M. for this or do I chalk it up to the German Company who made the Nav Unit and its 1/2 partner Toyota?

I'm sure that German company is not the only company that makes Nav units. GM had choices. Cars are made mostly of parts bought from suppliers, so they have to choose wisely. If my Delphi alternator goes out, do I blame Delphi, or the car company who bought the inferior part, and installed it in my car? If my headlight is poorly designed, and lets water enter it, do I blame Stanley (the maker of the headlight), or the car company, for buying the inferior part? GM is responsible for the entire car, not just the parts they manufactured themselves (which are very few). :confuse:
    You just said that Toyota is a inferior company. So I sure hope you didn't buy a Toyota SUV.
    I think your statement nailed the point exactly!! A company has the right to pick and choose the best parts for its products. The issue with GM, is that it seems to be picked sub par parts that do not last as long.

Then again, the New Accord seems to be having brake wear issues and VCM issues. Perfect? No! Not at all! The Camry has cheap interior parts? Good choice for Toyota? No!

GM to start picking better, quality part, than you could perhaps see a much better product that lasts longer. Holds better value!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    I disagree that GM picked subpar parts. I doubt that Honda says to a supplier that they want the subpar parts for their brakes on Accord. I doubt that Toyo says they want subpar parts for the electronic drive-by-wire system on their Camry and others that give them unintended acceleration.

Catalytic converters may have a failure rate that is low and occasionally one fails early, much like automatic transmissions. But as most auto mechanics taking calls on radio auto repair shows here say, "Catalytic converters don't commit suicide, they usually are murdered."

This message has been approved.

I think the bottom line is EVERY car dealer I have ever drove by has a fairly large garage with a bunch of stalls and I bet they aren't all just doing oil changes. So no matter what car you buy there is always that chance that something will go wrong or there wouldn't be garages. G.M. can't be to bad as they have out sold Toyota and Honda every year but one.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    There are many factors that go into the decision to buy this or that part. Failure rate, cost, and the company behind the part. Sometimes, a company will knowingly use an inferior part, because of it's association with that company (Delphi), or because of lower costs. If you want to sell your car for less, you have to get the parts for less.
    thats a bunch of BS that GM didn't use substandard parts; why the heck to you think that both GM and Chrysler had to declare bankruptcy and Ford did not; thats one of the many reasons why GM was in the crap hole that they are in, because they used cheap parts, etc to build their cars; its because GM and Chrysler lived in stupidity and denial for years that there was a problem with the quality, reliability, and resale value of their vehicles

thats why every GM car I had that I had to take in and get major mechanical and engine parts replaced at 3-4 years old, the service people and advisers acted as if it was normal wear and tear on a car and IT'S NOT- it was utter denial of a problem

Ford saw many years before GM and Chrysler did that their products were of poor quality and reliability and started making plans and objectives to turn their company around ahead of time, unlike GM and Chrysler, and thus they didn't need a bailout through bankruptcy

Hopefully, though with GM they eventually will be able to make a turn around by shrinking their product lines and getting the message to build better quality and more reliable cars - only problem is it is going to take another 5-10 yrs to see if GM really is on the right track because they only just recently restructured in the last 2 years so its going to be a wait and see game if their products remain reliable and hold their value in 4-5 years from now! hopefully, they will! if the new Buick lacrosse and Cadillac products are an indication of their change then GM is heading in the right direction for sure!
    and your expertise in this matter is? For a company that is so bad as you think and thinking is cheap and so is talk when you can't back it up, anyway then why is G.M. still selling more cars than Toyota. Toyota had a fluke and out did them just barely one year but even in bankruptcy they still out sold Toyota. I also find it funny their poorly made cars still keep showing up in the J.D. Powers and even CP has shockingly made good comments on some of their vehicles. You can talk the talk but you still can't back any of it up like why does G.M. out sell Toyota who is supposedly one of the best even though they have what recalled now over 6 million vehicles with frames rusting out on their trucks in which this is the 2nd time plus gas pedal problems. I'd think they would have learned their lessons the first time on frame rust but I'd take a bad convertor on a G.M. car anyday before I'd want a rusted out frame. At least I can still safely drive it. But no one will convince you otherwise because of some bad experiences with G.M. which I'm sure was all their fault and you did nothing to help cause any of those problems. :sick:
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    "thats a bunch of BS that GM didn't use substandard parts; why the heck to you think that both GM and Chrysler had to declare bankruptcy and Ford did not; thats one of the many reasons why GM was in the crap hole that they are in, because they used cheap parts, etc to build their cars; its because GM and Chrysler lived in stupidity and denial for years that there was a problem with the quality, reliability, and resale value of their vehicles"
    ---------------------------------------------------

"Substandard Parts" have virtually zero to do with GM/Chrysler bankruptcy. To say so is pure ignorance. Every company has part failures and design flaws, look at Toyota recalling millions and million of cars right now to replace gas pedals and many people think there is also a problem with the computer that controls the acceleration.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,004
    Substandard may be too harsh a word, but many D3 cars seemed inferior a few years ago. The interiors just felt cheap and it seemed like you had more problems in the 50-60K mileage range than on some of the better imports. I think D3 had too much focus on cost cutting in both engineering and purchasing. I think some of the new models are getting much more comparable though, although it will take a few years to know for sure I guess. Chrysler/GM BK had a lot of factors, but undesirable and unreliable cars were part of the equation in my opinion.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    "......"Substandard Parts" have virtually zero to do with GM/Chrysler bankruptcy. "

AND, the lack of substandard parts have even LESS to do with Ford not declaring bankruptcy. Smarty, did you realize that Ford is living on a $39 Billion LINE OF CREDIT???