Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,734
    For toyota, the total recall of cars now stands at 9.5 million, 4.1 million for gas pedal problem and 5.4 million for floor mat problems. The number of cars recalled is more than what the company has sold last year (7.8 million vehicles were sold world-wide last year)

This message has been approved.

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Things have changed

That's what they keep saying, but then, they've been saying that a lot longer than 6 years. My father's 99 Malibu was supposed to be up with the competition too. NOT even close. Didn't fall for it then, and I'm not falling for it now.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    According to GM their commercial specifically states "we've been doing right since day 1". This is straight from the company themselves. And that was on a brand that is now "DEAD". Hmmm... Really? Let's still add more cars to the line up to blur that issue.

Perhaps Toyota, will just forget about the Camry and just make a new car? GM does it all the time. FAIL! :lemon:
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    EVERY car company has recalls.

Yes, but not EVERY car company has recalls and is then forced to stop selling their cars which is the case with Toyota.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Yes, but not EVERY car company has recalls and is then forced to stop selling their cars which is the case with Toyota.

I'm sure GM has had such a recall before, if not more than one.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    You have to remember that day one for this company was what July of this year. So they are speaking the truth.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Japanese quality is not a myth, the myth is that their cars are substantially better than GM or Ford. The other myth is your point that all Japanese cars are the same, just nonsense.

GM has been getting progressively better for years and the assertion that all their cars were "crap" up until recently is also nonsense.

People are not "obsessed" with Toyota, but those that haven't drunk the kool-aid are tired of hearing about how wonderful Toyota is and now that they have been shown to be hiding problems why wouldn't people talk about. 19 people are dead, it's a safety issue not a faulty switch.
    Listening to Ed Cole (past CEO of American Motors and a Toyota dealer) on Detroit radio this morning say that there is little difference in the reliability of the majority of cars now compared to 15 years ago. There are a few that are at the bottom.

If Toyota gets their reality check in gear and stop treating Americans as dumb fish to be scaled of their dollars, they can recover.

I would like to read more about comparing the cars than hasseling each other over the past of the cars or their peers or the current problems of one company. There are other topics here where that's being fought out by defenders of toyota's purity.

• Who cares if Toyota has a gas pedal recall. A few hundred or a few thousand Toyotas being affected by the gas pedal problem out of 9.5 million vehicles is not bad. I don't see anything wrong with that. I am not worried about Toyota. The Camry will continue to do well and will continue to outsell the competition.
  • ....if you're done comparing Malibu, Camry, and Honda, I guess there's no reason to keep this one open. OR, you can go over to Auto News and continue.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Just reading a few of the more recent comments. Didn't see much discussion on advertised MPG as a component of judging the car. If you are considering Malibu, I advise an extended test drive (weekend) to really test the new highly rated mileage that is JUST better than Toyota. I just purchased a 2010 Malibu LTZ with the 2.4L that is rated 22city/33hwy. I chose the engine for the touted mileage. I have about 2500 miles on it, and it is only averaging 22.6 MPG. I have driven the same routes for the last 9 years, and all of my vehicles generate mileage ratings ABOVE the average of the two figures. My last car, a high HP V6 Maxima, averaged 24.1 MPG even though it was only rated 20/28. All I am saying is test out those figures before buying. Something certainly seems amiss with the actual mileage vs the advertised mileage.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I'm not saying your Malibu shouldn't be getting better mileage (it should and I would bring it in to have it checked) but may I ask where you live. Cold weather can make a huge difference.

If you averaged 24 in your V6 Maxima, that's pretty amazing.
  • jray4jray4 Posts: 15
    I've bought many cars in my days and most were General Motors. Although they made crappy cars not too many years back, I've had good luck with them. In 2004 I bought a Toyota to find out what the hype was all about. Well, that Toyota Camry I bought was one of the worst car I ever owned. That car was always hard starting, with a noisy transmission, bad wheel bearings, a horn smaller than a motorcycle with the sound to go with it. To me the car was a piece of crap.

The God like status Toyota has enjoyed is a joke. That status came about by Consumer Reports who is now having a problem holding on to that status because the cat is out of the bag.

I will never buy another Toyota!!
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Yeah, that is why the entire Ford line-up is on the CR recommended list for the last few years, because they have such a bias against the American companies and love Toyota and the foreign ones better ;) give me a break :mad:

Once Ford made quality products, which they finally have in the last few years, there status and recommendation by CR rose accordingly, as it should; GM on the other hand is years behind Ford with some models recommended while others are still on the crap heap!

Your the first person I've heard have so much trouble with a Camry product; I have numerous family and friends who have had multiple Toyota products with absolutely little to no problems, except once they got up to the 9 or 10 year mark when things started to go and had to be replaced!
    He isn't the first person who has had problems with Toyota. I suggest you take your mouse and click on the Toyota Camry sites here and you will find there are one or two others with problems. OK, maybe hundreds. :P
    If you read carefully what I wrote, I did not say he was the first person I ever heard have a problem with a Toyota product, but had a running list of so many multiple ones over a short period of time.
    >If you read carefully what I wrote, I did not say he was the first person I ever heard have a problem with a Toyota product,

That's not true. Actually you did say he was the first person you've heard have so much trouble with a Camry product. :sick:

"Your (sic) the first person I've heard have so much trouble with a Camry product:"

edited June 2010
    good try twisting my words though!

I think you just referred nicely to what I said!

so much = so many (multiple) problems! and he did have a list of things wrong with his Camry! I was referring to how many problems he had!
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    OK, I'm on the hunt for a new car, will be leasing, and it needs to be affordable, so I'm looking at the basic models. I test drove a '10 Accord LX-P vs. '11 Camry LE. I drove the Accord first, and son of a gun I smashed my knee on the upper dashboard getting in. That was yesterday, and it's still swollen today. I realized that the Accord sits lower, but the opening space getting in is tighter. That alone, might discount me from getting this car. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it gets better from ownership. I also don't like the only 3 star rating on side impact protection for back seat riders. I have 3 kids, I want them as protected as me. It drove nice though, at times I wished the transmission would pick a lower gear and shift faster. I have a lot of hills where I live, but top speed in my community is 45mph, so I don't need a fast car, just responsive.

Next I drove the Camry, and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it drove a little better, engine seemed more responsive, maybe due to the 6 speed transmission. It is very isolated and quiet which I like, especially compared to my somewhat loud '06 Subaru Impreza. I preferred the interior of the Camry to the Accord as well. ANd you do sit a bit higher, I think for regular every day driving that is preferred. I don't care about lap times, I won't be competing in F1 with this car.

I have driven a 2010 Malibu LTZ as a rental car, and thought it was pretty good. Spent 4 hours in it late at night beating a bad snow storm home. It has a different feel from the Camry as well, but a solid car. Haven't driven one recently though, and I have no idea if lease deals are abundant.

But between Camry and Accord, I'm leaning Camry right now which surprised me a little. I have a Honda minivan (had a Sienna too) and preferred that to the Sienna, though both good. I have to replace the Odyssey next year with somehting new.

Long winded post is long.
    Driving a rental Malibu during a harsh time trying to beat a snow storm and you thought it was pretty good, I'd suggest at least driving a brand new one at your local dealer without the pressure of trying to beat a storm late at night. To me, you tested a rental (which sometimes they get beat to death by people who don't care as they are just renting it) and liked it, that was the best test you could give a car.