Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Real World MPG

Comments

• Ok, I have been getting a little better gas millage, I put in 87oct, I recently had the car in for an oil change and tire rotation, was I ever surprised. Im getting around 17.2 for city and 18 for highway, I recently drove from Ft lauderdale to Disney land, Most of it was 65-80mph. I got around 18.5 but still no where near what I should be getting, Also the car seems to have quite a loss in power in the 70 mph and up. All in all I cant say id buy another one but it is a decent vehicle and for the price I think you can get a better choice with a difrent vehicle.
  • 15,000 miles

5W-30 Mobile One oil

I consistently get:

19 mpg mixed driving.

23 pure highway at 70 miles per hour.
  • sbarnosbarno Posts: 2
    Just bought a '08 LXT, sats so far, but does anyone have thoughts about the the wast of gas when the car is idling. I realize that idle does help with mileage, but watching the driving range go down is quite disappointing even for a minute or two. Because the car is new, did those with '07 model improve, or is this something I have to live with. Maybe I should turn the car off at stop lights, like what they do in Europe!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I realize that idle does help with mileage...

Did you mean "does not help?" If not, then how can idling help mileage when you're consuming (a small amount) of gasoline while not putting on any miles?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • TYPO Should say" idle does not help" with mileage......
  • My Equinox is up to 20,000 miles. I continue to get 19 in mixed driving and 22-23 pure highway. No problems with the car. I use Mobil One 5-30 and have the dealership do all of the service work.
  • I put about 10,000 hwy miles a month on my equinox for work and take very good care of it. I had a friend who is a Chevy Mechanic urge me to switch to mid grade gas from the cheaper stuff. It took close to 10 tanks for the computer to recognize the change, but now I get an average of 26 mpg hwy. The extra cost of the mid grade is more than worth it because you save money with the added mpg!

I also want to point out that the same friend urged me not to change my oil until the light came on. I was a "everey 5000 miles" man religiously, but I took his word for it. I now change my oil close to every 8,000 miles, I have never had a problem, and I get the same gas milage! ;)
  • I got an 08 ls fwd. It currently has 3k miles. I consistenly get 19-20 mixed(when all city I get closer to 17-18). and on a short vacation trip I just took. two hour drive each way, I got 26 going and 27 comming back (elevation). During our wk there I drove city and many many very steep hills and I averaged about 16. I think i did pretty good. what do you all think?
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Mine is a 2005 FWD LT bought it new.
    I've got 33,000 miles on it and every year on my summer vacation I go to Florida.
    Total of 3,000 milles highway (round trip) and 600 miles in Florida (city and country roads).
    I always average between 24 and 26 mpg every time. I use my cruise control at 68 mph and 90% of the time the air "on".
    This summer will be it's 5 th time down south.

I LOVE MY TRUCK!
  • traveled over 450 miles this past labor day weekend (90% highway/10% city) and my 2010 Equinox LT2 FWD 4 cyl averaged 29 mpg. Considering my Equinox only had less than 400 miles before we began the trip and I was averaging 65 mph on the highway I am extremely pleased. I feel the mpg will only get better. :)
  • That is great! my 2006 would be in the 23 - 24 mpg range.
  • Purchased a New 2010 Equinox 1LT, 4 cyl engine, Purchased on 9/12/09, now has 1786 miles, vehicle computer shows that average fuel economy is 27.8. I have not reset any of the trip computer since purchase. My driving is probably 65:35 hwy to city ratio. Using standard grade gasoline 87 octane, no ethanol, conditions have been cool, so no A/C has been needed.
  • geohovgeohov Posts: 23
    There not much here from people with 6 cyl engine. What has your mileage been. Mention whether you have AWD or FWD
  • 10lt210lt2 Posts: 18
    I have the 4 cyl 2010 Equinox FWD with std 17 inch wheels. I have no problem on highway only trips maintaining 35 mpg over ranges of 50 miles (not just instant mileage). Mileage drops off fairly quickly if you get into stop and go traffic. From my experience, I will have no problem beating 32 mpg on long trips. I have not driven enough stop and go traffic to get a good average. My typical combined driving is about 29 mpg.

I am being easy on the pedal to get the high mileage. Speeds toping out at 60-65 mph on the highway. Agressive driving will kill the high mileage. The good news for me is that this car can easily get over 32 mpg on the highway. I am pleasantly surprised. Total mileage to date is less than 1000. Car was built the week of October 19.
  • My husband and I took a trip from Kansas City to Illinois this past weekend with our FWD 4cyl NOX. I wanted to try to hit the 32 mpg mark, but also wanted to make our trip as short as possible, as it was late at night. So, I ended up getting 28 mpg with speeds from 75-80mph and the rolling hills of Missouri and Iowa. So, I considered that pretty good and will look for another opportunity to hit that 32 mark, on a shorter drive in daylight!
    Update to mileage figures.

The 32-35 mpg figure is for mainly level ground with speeds between 55 and 65. I just took a trip into the mountains a little and could not keep 32 mpg. The car takes on the big hills fine but the mileage does drop. I hit 4th gear and 3000 - 3500 rpms several time to keep up speed in the mountains. As a reference, the tachometer is below 2000 rpms on level ground at the same speed in 6th gear.

Bottom line.. I drove around 60-65 mph for most of the trip and just managed a little over 30 mpg for the 200 mile trip (about 100 each way. I easily hit 32+ mpg on the way back home (down hill most of the way) but was getting 27 mpg going to the destination (up hill most of the way). (Baltimore - Hagerstown - Carslise and then back).

One other note, I am wondering if the trip computer is correct. I am checking it with actual gas usage. On the first tank I checked it was 2 mpg off in the higher direction. This means my mileage is actually 2 mpg less than what the car tells me. I need to check this over several tanks to be sure but I am suspicious of the trip computer now based on my first tank that was checked.
    Update to the mileage #2.

My trip computer is off by 2 mpg on the second tank also. It appears that my earlier mileage claims are exaggerated by 2 mpg.
    What I have learned so far.

I can easily get 34 mpg on the highway doing 55-65 on relatively flat ground (Mileage is actually 32 when computed from gas usage).

I have been getting about 29 mpg in mixed driving to work. (Mileage is actually 27 when computed from actual gas used).

The car is doing what GM advertised. I do have to drive with a relatively light foot to get the 32 mpg highway number but it is not hard to do on relatively level ground.
  • We are averaging right around 26 MPG per tank right now. We don't fill it up, just $30-35 each time which almost fills it up depending on what is left. That is what is advertised combined mileage even though we are rarely on the highway. Going to take some trips in June which will be the real highway test loaded down with luggage. No complaints so far.

LTZ 4cyl
  • I must have bought a lemon nox. 2010 fwd,4 banger 1000 mi. trip ky. to miss. going down 24.9 mpg at mostly cruise 72 mph. returned at 65 mph only got 25.8, drove a 50 mi. stretch at 60 and only improved to 26.2. the only way mine will ever get 32 is if someone pushes me part way. very disappointed with chevy.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Well, yeah, but it was uphill all the way back to KY. :D

Seriously, how many miles on your Nox now? On some cars it can take 5,000 miles or more before the mpg gets close to the EPA rating. My van's mpg kept improving (although just slightly) even after I had put 20,000 miles on in.