Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Real World MPG

Comments

• The station near me that sells E-zero is about 30c / gal. higher than E-10.
  • teddy21teddy21 Posts: 11
    I bought my 2011 equinox 1-11-2011. Although I love this car . There is no way that i tried to get any where near 32 mpg. Best i have done is 26 mpg at hwy speed 65 mph. Around town i get 22, but I live in country and most of my driving steady 45 mph. althogh I did not expecd to get 32 mpg it should be with in 2 or 3 mpg.
    thanks Ted :(
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    I'm guessing you have about 5,000 miles now? Try asking your dealer if something like a computer refresh could help.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Am currently on Vacation. We have traveled over 1000 miles in our 2011 Equinox with 4 Cyl. engine, so far. We averaged 30 MPG going 65-70. Ave Speed recorded on the car was 55 MPH (We spent about 3 hours in backups on the highway). The car was loaded with wife, 2 young kids and all our stuff for a beach vacation (no roof or bike carrier) and AC was on the entire trip. I checked the FE by hand calculation and confirmed the car's computer accuracy. I leave the ECO function on all the time.

The vehicle this car replaced (about the same size) was lucky to get 25 MPG on the HWY, with me driving similarly. Needless to say, I am happy with the FE. Power is sufficient and the leather seat comfort is excellent. This car has sufficient drink holders and power outlets for all! Vehicle now has 4400 miles accumulated.
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• richardk5richardk5 Posts: 2
    Same vehicle here, 2010 awd ltz. I have never seen better than 25 MPG highway. In city driving I get around 17, even worse in the winter. Always in eco mode. The dealership is of the opinion that if the computer reports no errors there is nothing wrong. They will look at it but first they need to fill the tank and drive it 50 miles to verify the mileage (my records of every fill since I bought the vehicle aren't good enough).
  • I have a 2011 LTZ Equinox that gets nothing close to 32 MPG. I have about 3300 miles on the car and drive very conservatively, no fast starts and no faster then 60 to 65 MPH. With a 90/10 split (Highway/city) driving the most I've gotten is 25 MPG. Would it be worth my while to contact the dealer and question them about the MPG?
    I have been very upset about the bad gas milage that my 2011 ltz 2 wd equinox gets. You spend over $30,000 for suv that was supposed to get 32 mpg on the hwy. Basically from all that I have read it will do no good to take it to the dealer. Many people that own equinox or terrian are left high and dry, because the mpg falls with in window sticker est. mpg. But if anyone out there Knows of any legal action that can be taken please let me know.
    Will not buy a chev. again
    Sorry Ted
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,233
    edited July 2011
    Barring some mechanical issue I think sometimes its a matter of finding where it does well in MPG arena and making adjustments to driving that can achieve better numbers. On our Terrain I found it upshifts into 6th at around 56MPH with the tach running about 1450 RPM. Instant economy on flat road seems pretty good there and using the Tach number I try to adjust speed at lower MPH areas to find a gear that achieves that number (can't always do that of course).

On a recent 500 mile + trip with cruise set at 56-58MPH and only occasional A/C use I got calulated 26.5 MPG, and this is with the AWD 6 Cyl rated at 22MPG highway. It it at 7k miles on ODO now so its well in break-in period.
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    Driving style can impact the MPG significantly. Racing line starts and heavy braking stops chew up the extra MPGs.

I recently drive NJ to IL - through the Pocono Mountains at 70-74 I registered 28.2 calculated, no AC on. Through much flatter OHIO traffic at 65-70 on the next tank I hit 29.5 with AC on. Through central IL going 55-50 with some braking on the next tank I popped 30.2 with AC on.

On the way home with the AC on all of the way and not reseting the car register I amassed 26.2 averaging 75-78 mph.

Between 45-55 on flat lands you'll blow through the 32 rating with no AC on. The faster you go over 60-65 this vehicle gets a little thirsty like all others
    To tell you how I drive I say it in my wifes words. My husband drives me nuts because he drives to slow in the city or hwy. He can squize mpg out of rock. Trip in ohio at 65 mph 26.5 60mph 28.2. I am driving the four cylinder. Also my wife Avolon a full size car with a 270 H P V6

driving at 70mph gets over 30 mpg.
    Thanks Ted :mad:
  • auntiep22auntiep22 Posts: 29
    Just put about 200 miles on the Nox yesterday and got 32mpg! This is the best I've gotten ever out of a NOX 4cyl. My other NOX averaged about 24 at best but this car is doing so much better. Yes, I'm on my second Nox in 3 months. My other one - Chevy just bought back as it was a bonified :lemon: !!! I really had thoughts about getting another LTZ 4cyl but it is working and I'm a very happy LTZ driver! :)
    Sounds like GM is treating you right.

How many miles do you have on your new 'Nox?

What other problems did you have. So you recieved a new nox,what did you have to do get that kind of action.
  • b_and_bb_and_b Posts: 2
    We purchased our 2010 Equinox LT1 w/ 4-cyl. engine July 2009. We now have 15000 miles with no complaints.

On a recent 796 mile highway trip from Houston to Denton, Tx and back, we averaged 28+ mpg driving 70-73mph with air conditioning, and with 2 people and luggage weighing approx. 420lbs. We averaged as much as 34mpg on a level highway with no wind.

It is important to make sure that tires are inflated to 35psi (cold) and ECO engaged. Under-inflated tires have made as much as 2mpg decrease in mileage. Headwinds and hills also dramatically affect mileage. We use tier-1 gas (such as Shell) exclusively. We also change oil and rotate tires every 5000 miles.

The transmission was reprogrammed with updated software and calibration after 3 months and 2200 miles. This improved highway mileage approximately 4mpg at 70mph.

A factory recall concerning heat and windshield defrosting and evaporate emissions jumper hoses was also performed after 8200 miles June 2010.

Dealer support has been excellent!

We don't have any doubts about to many people on this forum who are experiencing bad mileage. But how many Equinox owners who have no problems actually visit this forum? This forum is basically for owners to discuss their problems.

Some additional thoughts:

Was more attention paid during the assembly of our 4-cyl. engine at the introduction of a new model?

We didn't experience our great mileage until after 1-yr. and 8000 miles.

Engine parts have manufacturing tolerances and piston/cylinder clearances. This could have some influence on mileage until engine break-in is complete.

We hope all of you who continue to have mileage problems will soon find relief from Chevrolet and your dealer.
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Posts: 34
    I have with interest the posts on this thread and it seems that a lot of drivers are under the impression that the EPA estimates are what the cars should get without any limiting factors.
    Reality is that how you drive, road conditions, tire inflation pressure, use of a/c etc will all have a bearing on the mileage you receive per gallon by however you estimate it.

In the driver information center I would like to not havw an estimated MPG reading but an actual reading based on the miles driven and gallonage used for that drive like my old GMC had in 2007. This would seem to me to be a more reliable indicator for actual mileage snapshots in any given period.

Comments are invited. :shades:
    I have read with interest the posts on this thread and it seems that a lot of drivers are under the impression that the EPA estimates are what the cars should get without any limiting factors.
    Reality is that how you drive, road conditions, tire inflation pressure, use of a/c etc will all have a bearing on the mileage you receive per gallon by however you estimate it.

In the driver information center I would like to not have an estimated MPG reading but an actual reading, based on the miles driven and gallonage used for that drive, like my old GMC had in 2007. This would seem to me to be a more reliable indicator for actual mileage snapshots in any given period.

Comments are invited. :shades:
  • rocketentrocketent Posts: 60
    Here's the Real Reason:
    EPA gas mileage ratings don't add up in real world
    http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-mpg-20110730,0,1214150.story
    Pretty good article, but just the other day I was nosing around various sites and the EPA looking for testing information, and the city test does include what I would consider jack-rabbit starts and other techniques that I try to avoid in my own car. The test drivers have to work to keep up with the acceleration and braking instructions as they follow the computer. Sorry, didn't bookmark the pages.

Maybe that's why I get the EPA mileage (usually exceed it in fact).

Great article and I thank you for bringing it to my attention as well as other posters. In both :D my Nox and Terrain, I am happy with low 20's mixed driving mileage; I will be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and will drive about 2000 miles round trip; I intend to chart the dic average mileage against real world fill ups for comparison.

Thanks again for the heads up.