Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Brake Problems

Comments

• corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    There are a number of investigations in progress involving brake issues. Go here and follow the prompts: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsearch.cfm
    Corkscrew
  • 1999 Silverado- In the Fall while driving- brakes failed, pedal went to the floor. Luckily my husband was able o get the truck to the side of the road as we were approaching a highway exit. Truck had to be towed to a mechanic, one brake line was replaced, ruptured due to excessive rust.

Then we started having issues with abs system kicking in when braking at low speed- like at a stop light or trying to park, after searching online I saw that this is an issue with 1000s of other chevy trucks.

2 months ago while driving my husband applied the brakes to stop for a red light, pedal to the floor and right through the red. Thank God there was no in front of him or in the intersection, he was able to get it in to an empty parking lot. This time we had the truck towed home, simply can't afford to pay a mechanic to overhaul the brake system.. Upon inspection- ANOTHER RUPTURED Brake Line. We are still trying to get the braking system fixed on this RUST BUCKET. We have bought all new lines, calipers. flexible lines for the front. This is absolutely ridiculous!

The Govt went after Toyota- what will it take to get the Govt to make GM fix all these TRUCKS that are going to fail to STOP and kill people?

We bought the truck used and have Never recieved a Recall Notice for this vehicle.
  • sgeorge1sgeorge1 Posts: 4
    2001 GMC sierra 2500 HD diesel with allison, total brake failure at 36k miles rotors and calipers, dealer fixed reluctantly, ONE MONTH LATER AFTER WARRANTY RAN OUT total failure again, rusted out lines from master cylinder on (truck 3 yrs old) fixed at $250. then front wheel bearings at 21k and 36k both front dealer installed, next brake lines under cab at 40k miles, now at 50k miles total brake failure again rusted lines this time at the tank area while on a trip to MAINE 800 miles from home! nearly killed us and others, filed a complaint with NHTSA like before.. this is sick! who do you have to run over by accident before anyone does anything? I have cars over 40 yrs old with brake lines that are OEM never had trouble like this!
    told this one will cost $500 to fix. anyone want to join a class action on this? email me scg13803@yahoo.com
    see my post on this same issue, my 2500 HD sierra did the exact same thing!
    steve g..
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Posts: 70
    2003 Sierra HD currently has 60K miles. Front brake lines failed at approx 4 years old and 40,000 miles. Nearly rear ended a tractor trailer. Will replace all other brake lines as $ permit, they are severely corroded right up to the master cylinder. Tranny lines seeped and replaced under warranty. Had to replace again at 55K miles and 6 years due to leaks and corrosion, including cooler. Fuel line corrosion and leak at plastic pipe union, about 4-5 years old. Fuel sprays under pressure. Replaced all PS lines at approx 5 years, AC condenser leak at 7 yrs 60K miles took out the compressor ... $1300. Rear rotors rusted and corroded at 3 yrs, 30K under warranty and then 3 yrs later at 50K miles. Engine cooler lines corroded and dumped all engine oil out at 3.5 yrs and 32K miles. Luckily it occurred in a parking lot. Yes GM, you have a problem, and being a lifetime GM person, I can't believe how you've ignored these repeat issues. My posts and others will unfortunately cause you much lost business due to your choice to ignore your customers. Buying a new one makes no sense if all these problems repeat again. Think!
    TO ALL THAT HAVE CORROSION ISSUES WITH GM TRUCKS

CALL THIS NUMBER AND FILE A CLAIM (888) 327-4236

THEY WONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON UNLESS WE TELL THEM!

DO IT AND DO IT NOW...

STEVE GEORGE, MARIETTA NY
  • astro48astro48 Posts: 1
    Have 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 past few months it has not been stopping properly. The brake pedal goes to the floor and still the truck moves another 3 or 4 feet before coming to a complete stop. Sometimes the brake is hard to press down, takes everything i have to stop truck. Took it to mechanic, nothing showed on computer and of course it didnt do it when he drove it around. Now Im not driving it at all for fear I will hit some one or some thing. Any ideas?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    It's like visiting a doctor. If you don't like the prognosis go and get a second opinion. And if you fear that the brakes will completely fail when you're driving it, don't. Have it towed which is cheaper than a fender bender any day.
  • d_rodd_rod Posts: 1
    i have an 01 silverado 1500 when i press my brakes they lock up and the abs is showing up inside my truck
  • duruduru Posts: 2
    My e-brake light flashes 4 times, was told this fault code means somehting wrong with Grounded Antilock Pressure Relief Switch??? The only place this could be is in the RWAL control modual. Anybody have any ideas? Truck still has good brakes. 1993 xcab Z-71 auto 5.7 THANKS
  • My Crew Cab 2007 GMC Sierra brakes locked up yesterday. Front calipers over heated. They got so hot the fluid reached extreme temperature. The rotor on the driver side turned black from the heat. Driver side rotor started wearing right after I purchased the truck. Went to the dealership to have other work done had them check the brakes and they said it was normal wear. Duh
  • navy11navy11 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 sierra 1500 4x4 61,000 miles I,m on my 4th set of rotors on all 4 wheel. The rotors rust out while brake pads look like new. Also Had 2 brake line rust out & had to have them replaced.Now had replaced bad front wheel bearing hub assemblies along with new brakes & rotors. Test drove truck & every now & then My brake pedal gets hard like a rock & brakes don,t engage. Now my ABS lights on dash are lit again. Funny since the new hub assemblies have new ABS sensors & cables. There are a ton of recalls on the braking system on sierras. I keep getting my vin shows my truck is not on recall list. However all my problems sound like the recall problems. This will be my last GM truck I buy. It,s a real money pit. Angelo V.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    Hello Navy11,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me your VIN so I can look into the situation further? Have you had all your brake work done at the same dealership? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • At least on my Suburban, the indicator tab is fine IF you use the correct one for the correct side. The bracket has clearance for it, but only on one side for the inside pad.

If only my 3500 brakes were as easy as the Suburban!
  • crusin57crusin57 Posts: 20
    Just got my 06, 4 weeks ago. it had new front rotors and pads done for certification. I have put 1500 miles on it and for the past 2 days my front brakes make a grinding noise like the pad warners - like i need new pads.

My ? is i have heard many people talk about ceramic brake pads. I want to know if ceramic pads give much brakeing improvement and do they have a better lasting performance over regular pads.
    The ceramic pads are harder than stock. So they will last longer, not make as much dust, and show a slight increase in braking distances
  • I got a 93 Chevy Silverado 1500 Awd.My brake aint working like they suppose to when i slam on my brakes truck wont stop and pedal gets hard and stays like that.Dealer ship put on brake booster,master cylinder,new abs pump,new brakes,rotors,calipers and deperusreizer valve.Vaccum pressure is okay it is at 22 psi,brake vaccum assist its okay also . Truck still not properly braking right.If i try to stop truck in an emergency truck will not stop even if i press pedal all the way down to the floor. Need help please!!
  • char11char11 Posts: 1
    hello l have replaced the front calipers and now am having a problem bleeding the brakes . does anyone know how to bleed the front brakes on this truck thanks
  • ttaupier1ttaupier1 Posts: 50
    edited August 2010
    Hi char11,

The best way I have found to do this is by having a few simple items..
    > 12-15" of clear fuel line (I bought mine @ HomeDepot, lookes like fuel line)
    > a small tray - (i use glass ware)
    > a measuring cup (to pour out the bled liquid out)
    > a small box 12x12x8 or my mechanics stool...
    > two bottles (1qt) of new DOT rated (3-4) not sure for your truck
    > Jack and take the tire off, might use a jack stand to stabilize the truck.. I do
    > loosen the bleeder screw, and attach the hose, fill the measuring cup with 1/4 new brake fluid, and stick the measuring cup on the box or mechanics stool, and place the hose from the bleeder screw into the measuring cup so the end is submerged in the fluid in the measuring cup. (ensure this set up is stable ..) see my photo page of the set up.

> http://www.carspace.com/ttaupier1/Albums/2003-5_3truck/PC233015.JPG/page/photo.h- - - - - - tml#pic

>> here is a link to a new scan i did from the caliper company...

http://www.carspace.com/ttaupier1/Albums/2003-5_3truck/bleeding%20brakes%20steps- .jpg/page/photo.html#pic

(be sure to down load the original and print if need be.. hope this, helps & works!)

> start the vehicle and slowly pump the brakes long slow strokes, fill resi. with new fluid as needed, do about 5-7 pumps, tighten the bleeder and pump again.. see is that bleeds the air from the line.. repeat until breaks are hard... repeat 3-5 times... slow is the key.. pumping the brakes, take your time.

> to add an additional "more solid" feel replace the hoses with braided hoses.. this will also give you a more solid feel... and improve braking under harsh conditions..
  • BCouchBCouch Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    In stopping my 1995 GMC Sierra, brake pedal slowly goes to floor. Have replaced wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Still have same problem. I don't detect any leaks. What is your suggestion to correct this problem? :sick:
  • I have 2004 Sierra crewcab 2wd. Purchase it new. Came with a 6" Procomp lift and 35" tires. About 3-4 months i started hearing a rattle sound. I took it back two different times to the dealer. They couldn't find. Then they started squeaking. that went on for months! So i finally got tired of this and had them replace. At that time, my truck only had about 35-40,000 miles on it. Again after a few months, the rattle came back. I know it has something to do with the calipers because when i put the breaks on, the rattle stop. Does ANYBODY have a fix for this? Please let me know.
  • bdh2bdh2 Posts: 2
    Hey, Try giving the folks over at wilwood a call or email. It's wilwood.com, they have a link to ask a question. They have some awesome brake components or might be able to tell you what you can do to remedy your situation.
  • my 2006 gmc brakes pulse just before stopping. i found a tsb about cleaning the abs sensors.

the abs warning light is not lit.

did that but no luck.
    the truck only has 18,000 miles.

any ideas?
    If cleaning the sensors didn't work there's a good chance that your rotors are warped.
  • A year or so ago, I posted my story, which is quite lengthy. I'll try to keep it short.
    Had the same issue, Dealer changed out wheel speed sensors, still had problem. Dealer changed out Master Cylinder, still had problem. Shortly thereafter left front started growling, wheel bearing was shot all this time (to some degree), but wasn't making any noise so it went undetected (until the growl). I changed the wheel bearing assembly, and the brake problem went away. The bearings being shot allows enough slop where the wheel speed sensors aren't making properly, they are simply a proximity switch.
    Dealer refunded all my money for their parts and labor.
    Check your wheel bearings.
  • Discovered a ruptured brakeline last week in my 2004 Silverado, which I purchased new. Totally caught me by surprise, since the truck only has 48,800 miles on it. Had it towed to the dealer, who said all the brake lines needed to be replaced due to rust, at a cost of $1300 plus tax. Called GM to complain. They contacted the dealer, who told them it was a northern car (Cincinnati), and such rust was to be expected. I wonder how many GM owners north of the Mason-Dixon line know they are driving death traps?
    $1300 to replace brake lines? Are the new lines made of 18K gold? You can order stainless steel braided lines which will outlast the truck for less than $100 online. That would leave $1200 for labor which should be around 1.5 hours. You need to find another dealer.
  • I believe he is referring to all the hard lines not just the flexible ones. A set of SS will run more like $250- 300 and take more than 1.5 hrs. Had to replace my front ones also at about 45,000 miles. GMs answer is lame and if you build a truck for the NE, well it ought to be designed for the conditions. There is an NHTSA inquiry into this problem, so you may want to report it to them, maybe GM will be forced to fix their problem.
  • ttaupier1ttaupier1 Posts: 50
    edited September 2010
    Hi TerryBill,
    Yes this is a long time issue, for more than 9 years.. Most GM truck and some cars are all failing with corrosion .. and with the blog i just read GM is laughing in our faces..

Here is the blog that will shed additional light on the subject...

http://trucks.about.com/b/2010/04/08/brake-line-corrosion-suspected-in- -gm-trucks.htm

Like with food we vote every-time we spend money. My Truck is 8 yrs old and the brake lines, fuel lines, transmittion lines all need to be replaced (all are rusting, and I carry my children quite often in the vehicle).

I am buying a FORD, next year and looking for the right model now. I spent $45K on a SLE 1500 ZR1 - GMC truck in 2003, and everything is rusted... Its garaged and babied...I even put SSBC calipers and rotors on it so i could step on the brakes and stop...not sure why GM/GMC thinks this design approach is acceptable, Market share is suffering

maybe they could send their engineers to some workshops in GERMANY for the next 4 years and then bring them back to lead and run the company .. If its still around.. oh ya.. the government said they are too big to fail, so we as working tax payers get to pay them to build junk cars.. (sorry for the vent)

now i have to replace all the hard lines.... and you would be wise to see the other lines replaced as well... before something happens.

GM neeeeeeds to get it head out of its you know what...

As far as the total number of death traps.. 6-7 million are on the road...but word is that even trucks in Arizona are failing... so it could be their entire product line for the past 10years... can you say 50 million trucks... and OH yea.. GM can not even replace them with SS lines.. only the same old rust magnets they originally installed... Hmmmmmm ? FORD please..!!!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/

:sick: