Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Brake Problems

Comments

• Sunday I went to start my truck. Put my foot on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. I pumped it a few times and there was no pressure increase. I found one place near left rear wheel where the lines was corroded and leaking fluid. Had it towed to the dealer and they say it will cost $2750 in labor and $2700 in parts to fix. They say they need to replace all the brake lines and the fuel lines, and several other parts due to corrosion. They say it will take 3 to 4 days to fix. The labor is expensive because they have to drop the torsion bar cross member , the transfer case and the fuel tank. Weighing my options as the truck only has 19533 miles on it. KBB value is about $15 to $18k.
  • Here is what I did... GM gets the lines from www.classictube.com, the exact same lines. They make them up special so it took 5 days to get parts.They are pre bent and fit exact. I purchased stainless steel lines, hoses and all mounting hardware for $450 for ALL the brake lines. I had my local mechanic do the work, his bill was $700 for labor, and it also needed all the backing plates, pads, rotors, 2 calibers that were rusted also, etc for a total bill of $1400 including labor. It took one day , but with 2 mechanics on it. He had to remove the cross member and gas tank but not the transfer case. Are your sure the gas lines are bad? I've only heard of just the brake lines. So I've got $1850 into it. But now your talking gas lines too. My truck is a 2002 with 165k,so figured it was cheaper cost VS new truck, plus I couldn't sell, trade or do anything with no brakes or get much for it anyway, l0l. The price of a tow to another shop could save you $1000+. I wish I got rid of it yrs ago, I've spent 6k on it since 100k miles. Keep me posted what you do., Good luck.
  • I can't believe it should cost that much. I have a 2000 Silverado I had to get all my break lines renewed It cost me about $1800.00. I wouldn't take it to a dealer. Take it to a auto repair shop. I was thinking about a new Silverado but I have second thoughts. At least get a second opinion. My truck only had 36,000 miles on it never been in the snow or ice.
  • I had to do the same thing last year, replaced the brake lines from one end to the other along with front calipers on my 2002 silverado1500HD. I have a mechanic friend who bent a higher grade brake line to fit. I think it came to less then $1000. Try and find a trust worthy mechanic as mention earlier.
    Are any of you also getting anti-lock coming on at low speed (5mph) braking? If not then that will be next on your list. I really like my truck but GM messed up a couple of things. Why they haven't done a recall on these braking systems seems a little short sighted, but I guess not enough crashes?
  • FACE IT- GM (Government Motors) is NOT going to do a recall- not now, not EVER!! They dont care if you get killed in one of their trucks, as long as you keep buying a GM product, if they go flat broke busted, The good ol USA will step in and give them the money to get back up again. Hateful Jim said that- Ya'll have a real good day.
  • The anti lock is another problem too. They did a recall about 6 yrs ago,all they did was clean the wheel sensors,, that didn't work. Pull the ABS fuse , problem solved. Do it now, before you hit someone !! Jim is right, GM doesn't give a damn.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    edited October 2012
    Damn, I haven't been on this site in quite awhile but have done everything you have to your truck. My 2000 Silverado 2500LD (7200gvw) 5.3 auto.
    Rotors (I have 4 wheel disc) + one front and one rear caliper, ABS wheel sensors under the recall, brake lines front to rear. I was getting the 5mph ABS activation for awhile even after cleaning my new sensors. The problem seems to have "gone away" for now. If it reappears I'll pull the fuse and do it the old fashion way.
    Lets not talk about the 3 rear bumpers I have replaced and the huge hole on lower rockers do to the quality material GM uses, that's another issue. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

Ray T
  • Ray - Did you get new or used bumpers? Mines getting a little wholy. I didnt know there was a recall on the sensors. Can I just bring it into the dealership?
    Kevin,

There is a GM customer service rep. (gmcustsvcsarah) monitoring this site so pose the question to her regarding the ABS wheel sensor recall issue. Give the last eight digits of your Vin# and email contact.
    The bumpers I bought new from Carolina Auto Supply (http://www.autosupplyhouse.com/) for around $129 BUT I had to go thru a friends business to buy since they do not sell to general public :( Try here http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog , I did a quick look up and they run around $160 on sale.

Ray T :shades:
  • The GM rep contacted me thru this site. Set up an appointment for me to take truck to dealer. I called dealer and it was set up, BUT, I still had to pay for it !, just for them to look at truck. No repairs would be paid by GM so why would I go to dealer, pay service charge to tell me truck is crap? I called GM, and they were unaware of the person monitoring this site having any authority. Don't waste your time. It's just PR to make it look like they give a crap, but they don't. IF they did, we would see posts on here that they did help us and get our trucks fixed at GM's cost.
  • My 09 has had 6 bumpers, now they have changed the head gasket and deflector gasket (burning oil) and are probably going to have to change the pistons and rings. Tranny is acting up, the power mirror on the one side does not work anymore..what I really liked when I got the crew cab was the GM of Mexico stamped on the drivers door. Apparently that is where they are making all the crew cabs (GM and Chev), Avalanches, Caddies.
    MrFixit911, "I called GM, and they were unaware of the person monitoring this site having any authority. "
    I feel your pain and also wonder if the left hand is talking with the right at GM. Time for GM Sarah to chime in with clarification on how she is helping or maybe your being handed a line of S**t from dealer you went to.

SadCanuck, 6 bumpers on an 2009 :confuse: head gasket, deflector gasket now the tranny :sick: You have a :lemon: but it's to late for that law or to get GM to take it back. As long as their covering the work that's a plus. Your inconvenience they probably are not compensating you for.
    My 2000 was built in Canada. I have the Silverado Ext Cab 2500LD shortbed w/5.3L, 3:73 auto. It has had many problems as well from engine piston slap, rusting brakes lines, rotors, calipers,sensors & tranny crapping the bed....I just keep hearing that commercial "Built Chevy Tough" :P Lies, Lies, Lies
    and our stupid government leaders bailed their asses out of a jam to boot, who's the stupid one now.............

Ray T

RayT
    They used crap material for brake lines and knew it :mad: , it was all about containing production costs. I had my brake lines replaced as well but didn't go to a dealer rather Firestone Service Ctr.

My next truck will be a Ford or Dodge, my loyalty for past 30 years to GM is done, they have proven time and again how they could care less about customer retention once they have your money and you go out of warranty.

Ray T
  • I haven't seen one thread on here that GM did anything. The dealership was where a good friend is Mgr. Could not do jack. YA, where is GM Sarah now ? Please tell all of us if any issue was resolved and paid by GM. I'd say not, if GM fixed one, they would have to fix them all.

I'm posting on here for the sole reason to inform others what is wrong with GM's trucks and either they need to stop driving it or get it fixed before someone is injured or killed.
  • Hateful JIM here- I said it once, I'LL say it again, I fixed my sensor ONCE- hit a pole. I AINT gonna fix ANYTHING on my truck. Not the hole in the rocker panel, NOT the bent bumper from the pole, NOT the brake lines, NOR sensors, rotors, NOTHIN !! If the brake lines burst, HOPE YA'LL dont live at the bottom of the ravine, OR by the river, cause thats where i'm aiming this thing before i bail.

DOES anyone know if CHINA makes trucks, I'm looking for a good truck, and I really believe that even CHINA makes a better truck than GM- (Government Motors). I'm not sure that gm trucks arent made out of tin foil.

Ya'll have a great day, being as you all like me got the short end buying a Chevy truck and all, that alone makes me mad enough to drink and smoke cigarettes. HATEFUL JIM said that!!
  • Hello God bless you Bluzplayer: Thanks for the information on changing rotors on the 4x4 CM Dually. I am just getting started on changing the rotors on a 2005 GMC Sierra Dually 4x4 that is owned by the foundation for which I work. I was hoping the ends of the hubs on the axle wouldn't have to come off. I like your thinking a lot. I was in management at an assembly plant for Chrysler back in the late 70s. You are right that there are often things that could be engineered better on any vehicle. I am with you on taking care of rust problems and things that get in the way of each other. If they made the engineers spend some time putting together the things that they design it would definitely help the whole industry.

Don't have a machine shop I know about since I am on the road in Venice, Florida. I read where others have knocked out the studs. I have done that sort of thing before. I like your idea about making sure things are parallel. I am replacing the rotors so with new rotors I and plenty of care taken in the reassembly I am hoping things will go in parallel and perpendicular where necessary.

Thanks for posting what you did.
  • I ended up towing it away from the dealer to a local shop. They gave an estimate of $1500 to replace all the lines so I gave them the go ahead. They ended up calling me and saying they needed to change the front calipers because the bleeder screws were rusted and rounded. Cheaper to replace rather than drill out the bleeders. During the road test the power steering cooler blew out and sprayed fluid out the grill and up on the windshield. So it cost another $300 for that. Then tried road testing again and there was too much rust on the front rotors causing pulsation, so another $175 for turning those on the truck. Final cost was $2009.99. They gave me a 3 year 36k mile warranty. The pedal is a little soft so I may need to take it back again.
    Forrest
  • The guy at the local shop thought the truck was parked over a salt pile. It has only been parked in my driveway which is asphalt. The whole underside of the truck is rusting out. It has less than 20k miles and looks like it is 50 years old. I am thinking of putting that POR-15 or whatever it is called to slow the rust. The fuel lines are rusted badly too but I did not get them changed yet. I plan on watching them and change if I see it get worse.
  • I had all the same done, rusted bleeders, rotors, except for the power steering problem. All about the same you paid. My pedal always was a tad soft, even after a new master cyl. I think it is a characteristic of the anti lock system. I still have the anti lock fuse out. Felt 10X better after doing that. Good thing is, you can feel safe now !