Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Limited vs Lexus ES 350

Comments

• gohawaiiangohawaiian Posts: 76
    That was a good choice of words to describe the Avalon! I agree that the Avalon seems to have more "presence", maybe because of its larger size and/or more formal roofline, than the ES 350. The two cars weigh about the same, yet to me, the Avalon looks heavier and more solid, and therefore more imposing.
    I happened to spot something that might be of interest to those who have been following this comparison of the Avalon Limited vs Lexus ES 350: The Edmunds Road Test of the ES 350 recorded a sound level of 67.5 decibels @ 70 mph. The 2005 Avalon Limited, one of several cars tested in Edmunds' Comparison Road Test of Full Size Sedans, recorded 66 decibels @ 70 mph. Will this news leave Lexus fans even quieter than their "fairly" quiet cars? (just a friendly joke :D )
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Yeah, but were the tests done on smooth roads with the same tires???? I mean, 1.5 db means alot to some analytic folks who peruse these boards!!! :):):)
  • richbf2richbf2 Posts: 72
    I appreciate for taking time out to give such an extensive & detail comparison. It is very informative.
    Another aspect that you have to take into consideration is that people buy Lex. over T. b/c of the Name. It is all about status! One has to have $$$ to afford a Lex. Now, if he or she has money then big discount or not would not be an issue. Right? Anyway, i am keeping your comp. of the 2 vehicles for future ref. :) thanks
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    I have scanned the Lexus IS 350/250 site and many complaints about squeaks and gearing, clutch issues. Seems like they are not immune
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    Just came from Lexus dealer and sat in 07 ES350, best feature compared to my 06 Limited were the seats! I liked the side support and feel. Otherwise the Limited has as much or more. The model I sat in had no NAV/BU cam and was 44k. Wheel rims were not to my liking. My car is definetly bigger, more robust. Really better value and buy for the dollar...I am not disappointed.
  • I purchased my ES 350 about 6 weeks ago and it has been great! Although I have have been talking about buying a new Avalon for years, I have been waiting for a better looking model to come out. However, after driving behind a new Avalon for nearly an hour drive with my 14 year old son to his soccer game a couple of months ago, he voiced what I was thinking when he said that the Avalon is still "one ugly looking car." Today, when I picked him up from a golf camp, he told me that my ES 350 has a great look to it. At least for me, the Avalon has yet to get its design right. Once they do, I will seriously consider buying it.
  • We just bought our ES350 for my wife. We had compared the ES with Avalon before making the decision. Totally agree that the Avalon has some catching up in exterior design to come close to competing with the ES. It didn't take my wife too long to decide that the ES is what she wanted to drive home in.
  • vluuvluu Posts: 100
    The 2 cars that I have seriously considered to buy are the 06 Avalon and the 07 ES350. I have to say both cars have the bells and whistles, plus both are reliable. However, it seems to be that 90% of the Avalon owners/drivers are grandpa and grandma. Hope this doesn't offend anyone? I'm in my mid thirties and that's one of the reason I'm planning to go with the ES350 over the Avalon. I feel like I would fall into that stereotype owner. Anyone else feel this way?
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    The ES looks quite similar to the Avalon, albeit a bit slower. And I hope your sensibilities won't be crushed when a series of geezers in their Avalons leaves your ES in dust off the line.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I am 27 and my '06 XLS is my second Avalon. No one has ever said that I drive an "old mans car" This is especially true with my '06. To each his own I guess. Quite honestly, I see plenty of 60+ people is ES's too.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Just my opinion, but what difference does it make how old you are with respect to the kind of car you drive...???? The way I look at it is, if you're secure with yourself, why should you care if you drive an Avalon, 350 or Corvette? To say, "I'm not going to buy an Avalon because old people drive them and I'm only 30" is rather shallow, don't you think?
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Posts: 120
    Agree with post 33,sounds like some of the above posters
    want the "L" on their hood.If you look at the back of a es350 and the back of a Avalon they are similiar looking.
    To post 31,I think the Lexus is a bit quicker than the Avalon,check the specs.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    Motor Trend puts the 2005 Avalon at zero to 60 in 6.5 seconds; Edmunds lists the ES 350 at zero to 60 in 7.2 seconds. The edge goes to the Avalon.
    Like I said.... I wasn't out to offend anyone? Seems like I did though, I apologize. Just a matter of opinion. Around the DC/VA/MD area.... the trend of Avalon drivers are older, but I guess it could be different elsewhere.

I really was going to buy the 2006 Avalon, but once I the ES350 was introduced, I totally had a chance of heart. I pretty much like everything about ES350... except the price, which is about 5-7K more than the Avalon. As far as the Avalon goes.... I still see it on the road and think it would be my second choice.
  • rocketdanrocketdan Posts: 28
    You should really find a different Lexus dealer. If you are just trying to support your already made decision, quote $44K for a stripped ES. But that isn't reality. My '07 ES w/nav, BU cam,Premium Plus and more was $39K. Granted, the Avalon is less expensive, but the content is different. Judge the cars for their fundamental difference, which is mainly size. If I needed a family car I would have gladly bought the Avalon and settled for lesser content (little things like the BU cam, rain sensing wipers, electric steering column controls, etc.) lesser style (my opinion) and lesser warranty. But I drive alone or with my wife. A smaller, more personal car was for us.

Either choice can be a good one if it is right for you. But please, don't make stuff up!
    What if the Avalon Limited had been branded & marketed as a Lexus, rather than a Toyota model? And you found it there on the Lexus showroom floor, side by side with the ES 350, with exactly the same price and size and content differentials that we are aware of & that we've all been discussing. (To keep this fair, let's assume, for the sake of this theoretical argument, that the Avalon still only came with a 3 year/36K mi. warranty vs. the 4 yr/48K mi. warranty on the ES 350, but you could choose to purchase the dealer's extended warranty as an option on either car.) Would any of the current or prospective ES 350 buyers opt for the larger, less expensive "Lexus Avalon" instead, under those circumstances?
    I think I would still go with the ES350. The interior and exterior on the ES350 is much more stylish, however it does come with the hight price tag.

I think there is improvement on the front end of the Avalon. I think the ES350 has more of a strong and sporty front end.
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    No, I wouldn't, basically because I like the
    looks of the ES better than the Avalon.
    I mean, let's face it. These are two very
    compelling cars that have some great features
    on them. Do I think the Avalon is a nice car
    for what it offers? Yes. Do I like the
    styling? Not particularly. This may sound
    trite to some people, but you've also got to
    like the exterior and interior style of the
    car that you're going to drive for anywhere
    from three to five, or maybe even longer in
    the years to come.
    This may also explain why some people prefer
    the Lexus over the Avalon, not because it's
    a Lexus. (Sure, it doesn't help that you get
    the A-1 treatment from Lexus either).
    I believe in the end, it comes down to which
    body style you prefer. I have a feeling
    this thread is gonna go back and forth and
    back and forth. The people that prefer the
    Avalon are not going to change their mind and
    the people that prefer the Lexus are not
    going to change their mind either.
    Just my two cents!
    You sure as hell didn't offend me. I have one of each. I was just observing how some people seem to buy cars based on the age of the person they see most often driving them; you're certainly not the first person who has made that statement...the Avalon board is full of similar observations and in my personal opinion it's a rather shallow reason NOT to buy a car (regardless of make) if it has features and is of the quality you feel it has.