Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Limited vs Lexus ES 350

Comments

• nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    That must be a dealer installed option and only available in certain areas as it does not display as an option in my zip code.
  • It is quite possible for two engines with the same compression ratio to have different octane requirements. Why? Engine Management System is the answer. Once the heat of combustion takes place and expands to the cylinder’s walls, how efficient this heat is managed depends on plumbing layout and the ECM and ECUs design/configuration to adjust the fuel mixture accordingly.

Here’s another related case: One of my co-worker has an ’08 BMW X5, 4.8i. The compression ratio for this engine is 10.5:1. The Owner’s Manual states that “premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91 is REQUIRED.” On the other hand, my ’08 Avi, with a compression ratio of 10.8:1, has no premium fuel requirements and runs extremely well on regular with no engine knocking whatsoever. By compression ratio alone, this does not make sense; my avy should be gulping premium too. Seems like the [non-permissible content removed] are beating the Germans in this area (jeje).

Amaury
    '08 Limited
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    The Avalon and the ES350 use the exact same 2GR engine. Even the Avalon suggests premium for "enhanced performance". My guess would be that on the Lexus requiring premium fuel is not a big deal for most buyers where on the Toyota nameplate it may be. If you notice the Avalon is rated at 268 HP on reg and the Lexus is rated at 272 on premium.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    See the comments above. Certainly, different engines can require different octane with the same compression ratio. Here, we're dealing with the same engine, with the added power coming from (probably) the added advance the knock sensor-controlled engine will allow with premium. The same power increase is also likely available to any 3.5 l car (Avalon, Camry, etc.).
  • My Owner’s Manual states that either regular or premium yields optimum engine performance (it is “either”; not just premium). Contrary to popular belief, the 268HP cap on the Avalon’s 2GR-FE won’t be increased by switching to premium fuel alone. That engine has to undergo serious mods in order to increase the horsepower output even by a few digets.

Amaury
    '08 Limited
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The 2GR-FE engine from the Avalon is the same thing as what is installed in the ES350 the slightly higher HP rating in the ES is from the requirement of premium fuel. Here is a shot of the owners manual from the '06 Avalo, showing my point: "for improved vehicle performance...."

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Here’s another related case: One of my co-worker has an ’08 BMW X5, 4.8i.

How do you compare your co worker x5 with your avalon?

X5 feels a lot more specially doesn't it?

Of course you have to pay a price for that ;)
  • Anyone with a 2008 Owner’s Manual for the Avalon sold in the U.S. can check page 414; It says nothing different from what I stated earlier.
    ----- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------

One of the engines has a tweak that the other doesn’t. In very simple terms, horsepower depends on the thermal efficiency of the engine. Fuel type alone won’t increase this efficiency.

Amaury
    '08 Limited
    A 2GR - FE is a the same no matter what they put it into. They share all the same specs. Even on the spec sheet for the ES350 it reads:

"Ratings achieved using the required premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. If premium fuel is not used, performance will decrease"

What does that tell you? Do you really think Toyota would tweak this engine for a lousy 4 HP? The "tweaked" version of this engine is the 2GR-FSE which is direct injected and used in the IS/GS and makes a little over 300HP.

• I'm planning to buy or lease a Toyota Avalon Limited in the very future, which would feel luxury like the Lexus ES 350. The Lexus ES 350 has a power tilt and telescopic steering column and the Toyota Avalon does not have a power tilt and telescopic steering column. Before I buy or lease a Toyota Avalon Limited in the very future, I'm requesting the Toyota Avalon Limited to offer a power tilt and telescopic steering column for the late availability 2009 model year available at Toyota dealers by October, November, or December of this year 2008 so I can buy or lease a 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited with a power tilt and telescopic steering column and feel luxury like the Lexus ES 350 rather than having the 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited still offer a manual tilt and telescopic steering column. If the 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited comes with rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers, heated and ventilated front seats, power rear sunshade, wood grain style leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, wood grain style interior, perforated leather seats, steering wheel mounted audio and climate controls, vehicle stability control with traction control and brake assist, 2-way driver's side memory systems, 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support, optitron meters with tachometer, speedometer, coolant temperature gauge, fuel gauge, and digital odometer with twin trip meters, smart key system with push button start, JBL synthesis AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in dash changer with hands free phone via bluetooth, optional dynamic laser cruise control, optional 8-way power passenger seat with power lumbar support, power windows with driver and passenger auto-touch up/down, power door locks with anti lockout feature, power moonroof, chrome outside door handles, etc., then the 2009 Toyota Avalon Limited should come with power tilt and telescopic steering column rather than a manual tilt and telescopic steering column.
  • Man, this man's in a mission!

Loved the way you made your point. You're damn good.

Amaury
    '08 Limited
  • If I wanted power tilt and telescope that badly, I would just spend the extra 25 grand and buy the Lexus! Why be uncomfortable while you are driving down the road.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Toyota... Are you listening......?.... :)
  • I wonder how someone could preach the virtues of the Avalon Limited to a Lexus forum, it's funny by stuff happens. The Avi and 350 are targeted at two different types of buyers. The Avi is a nice vehicle and I considered buying one myself and I know about all the features trust me, but what sold me on the 350 was its size and looks AND features. I simply don't want a big car. If I considered anything other than the 350 it would probably be a 08 or 09 CTS. The 350 looks better and I like how it drives. Now that is subjective, because someone else may come along and say, "Hey the Avi is the greatest car since the Model T" So, lets appreciate that no matter what, some folks will relish vanilla ice cream while others will relish strawberry and move on. Most of the folks who buy the 350 have already considered the Avi so you're preaching to the converted (converted to 350), Go to a Chrysler 300 forum and try to convert them..... :shades:
  • prazpraz Posts: 163
    I am in mid-30's and never considered Avalon. With 350, Lexus has targeted mid-30's while Avalon still tagets at 50+, my opinion. I don't think people will shop Avalon after driving ES, totally different car.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, this discussion is part of the ES 350 group and the Avalon group. It's not specifically a "Lexus forum." ;)
    I don't think people will shop Avalon after driving ES, totally different car

Really? Same engine, same frame, mostly the same suspension...... They drive similar, the size is the biggest difference. IMO if you need the size go for the Avalon, if you like the smaller vehicle go for the ES at a small price premium.

Camry, Avalon, ES, Highlander, Venza, RX share same engine, transmission(next model year for crossover's), etc. Are they all the same, no, it all depends on need, taste and $$$. ES stands out and is much better than the Camry or Avalon, go figure. Also, if the customer is less than 50 years and choose Avalon over ES for size than they have serious health issues called obesity.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    "Also, if the customer is less than 50 years and choose Avalon over ES for size than they have serious health issues called obesity. "

Nice gratuitous insult. Not needed. I've looked at both, currently drive an ES300, and the ES350 is not acceptible because of the compromises made to styling. The rear door opening has been squashed to go after the 4-door coupe look. I want to take friends and clients out without apolgizing for the accomodations.
    I am sorry if my comments has offended anyone, I did not intend to do that.