Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• Just got back from New Orleans--- going 96 miles @ 60 mph 3.6 gal (stopped for breakfast) 26.7 MPG. Coming back 210 mi @ 60 mph - 3.6 Gal (set it and forgwet it) 31.7 mpg. Combined 210 miles 7.2 gal. 29.2 mpg. 07 FJ Crusier automatic 4 wheel drive.
  • My experience is gas with oxygenated additives will always result in lower mpg numbers then pure gas. It is completely unnecessary to add oxygen additives in these days of computer controlled O2 sensors and fuel injection. It's like you are getting 10% less gas per gallon. Also, you haul the extra weight of the additive further reducing mpg.
  • There must be a problem with mine. It is a 4x4 manual, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch rubber, best I get is 18, and typically lots less. I get 16 or less at 75 mph. I get the 18.2 at 55 with everything right. I have 15k miles I use premium. It was worse with reg, but maybe not enough worse to justify the cost.
  • Hey, this question isn't about MPG but is fuel-related. I got my FJ in July '07. Loved em since I first saw em and loved it even more when I got behind the wheel. Anyway, everytime I put fuel in, the nozzle clicks off continuously. I have to pull the nozzle almost all the way out for it to pump smoothly and have occasionally, even lost a little gas while doing this. Any suggestions or have you had this problem? Thanks. :shades:
  • I did a test drive two weeks ago in the FJ that I now own,
    4WD Auto, and on an overall 460 mile trip (mixed city/rural driving) got 22.34 MPG. Mileage is dependent on the driver and his habits. My other car, 96 Lincoln TC, gets s consistent 22.5 MPG. I think that my FJ will improve after a resonable break-in. Jack Rabbit starts and fast stopping deccelarations are the culprits in lousy mileage.
  • Hi
    anyone out there have MPG numbers for a 4x2, mostly city driving? Thinking about buying a "leftover" 4x2, but would like to know if it's possible to get low 20s for MPG in the city, with some freeway. I plan to use regular unless that would void the warranty. Premuim's WAY TOO much out here in California!
    Thanks~! :)
  • judas1judas1 Posts: 5
    I think I spotted the problem. 33" tires. What do you think you're going to get with those on there? 25 mpg? Get real.
  • I haven't put more than 700 miles on my '08 FJ but the first full tank of gas got me 19 miles per gallon. It's a 4x4 with automatic trans. My driving is a mix of rural (lower speed limits varying from 30mph to 45mph with only a few stop lights) and some interstate driving (short runs to work - 15 minute drives, a few of those miles are at 70 mph). Overall I am pleased because that's about what I got in my 4L Jeep Cherokee Sport, which was lighter and smaller sized.
  • I have 675 miles on my 2008 FJ. I drive mostly around town and tend to be a little heavy footed (love the acceleration!). I get a little better than 16. (Considerably better than my F150 pu!!
  • first if I was worried about mpg we would have bought a some small thing
    to drive that said. the avrage was 15 mpg new now with the torando installed at nomrmaly 70 to 75 mph highway were getting about 17.8 in the city 16.5 were happy with that. im shure if we slowed down the numbers
    would get better. if you get a tornado.give it a few tank.s full for I think that need to carbon up a little. but it dos work and yes we love our fj. the things i would change lift gate in rear. and stronger fan for heat and air happy wheeling and god speed
  • I get around 12 in-town in the winter (RI); 15 tops summer. I have never cracked 19 ever! - no matter what conditions, what speed, etc. I purchased 01/07 and have over 20k. I have the Bridgestone Dueler 17" stock tires and I have used premium from day one. I am really disappointed. I traded in a Range Rover that was similarly abysmal in town, but occasionally hit 20mpg. on the highway. My conclusion is that the full time 4x4 sucks the life right out of the tank. I am ready to switch to regular gas to save money somewhere if there have not really been any adverse consequences to using regular.
  • emerlingemerling Posts: 12
    I've got an '08 and have been using regular since day 1. No problems. I hear the mileage may be a bit better with premium, but I won't pay the price for an extra .1 or .2 miles per gallon.
  • smilezsmilez Posts: 4
    I'm at 4500 miles. Got the new AFE dry intake and have the TRD exhaust. I haven't done a long trip yet, so I can't say what kind of highway mileage I'm getting. As far as city: Worst tank: 14mpg; Best tank: 18mpg; Averaging: 16-17.

I must say, one thing I'm a little annoyed with is the amount of reserve they have. I'm filling up just over 15 gallons every time the light comes on...for a 19 gallon tank! I would like to not have to fill up so often. Anybody have any suggestions?
  • tnbluefjtnbluefj Posts: 3
    '07 4x4 auto with 25,000 miles - no luggage rack - mostly interstate driving - have gotten as high as 24.77 mpg - average 22 - can go 350+ miles on a tank keeping it below 75mph. I also keep the tires aired up to 34 psi. A K&N air filter is the only mod. :)
  • kdunkkdunk Posts: 1
    07 4x4 Automatic.............daily driving (4-lane hwy & interstate 60-80 mph) I average 18.5 mpg. If I really work at it, I can get 20 or better. Pulling a trailer (~2000#), mileage drops to around 16.5-17.

If you're that worried about mileage, buy a car!

Personally, I couldn't be happier!
  • I wish Toyota would add the diesel option to the FJ - then it could get 30MPG highway and probably 22 city... with essentially the same torque numbers as using regular unleaded gas and hell diesel is cheaper then super unleaded!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOGmGXcR7M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUGFxoMTnpw

First appearing in 2000, the 1KD-FTV is one of the newest engines built by Toyota.

The 1KD-FTV is a 3.0L (2982cc) straight-4 common rail diesel engine with a variable geometry turbocharger and Intercooler. It has 16 valves and a DOHC (double overhead camshaft) design. Bore is 96 mm and stroke is 103 mm. It generates 170 hp (125 kW) at 3400 rpm, and 260 lbf·ft (352 N·m) of torque at 1800-3400 rpm. Redline of this engine is at 4200 RPM. Compression ratio is 17.9:1.

This engine uses Toyota's D-4D Common Rail fuel injection technology operating at ultra high pressures of up to 135 mpa (1350 bar or about 19,580psig) which is about 8 times more than the pressure of conventional fuel injection systems within a "common rail" that feeds the injectors on all four cylinders (older diesel engines have a separate line leading from the injection pump to each injector). This is combined with a 32-bit ECU which controls fuel quantity, valve-timing, and boost pressure at different engine parameters resulting in best fuel economy and also full utilization of power during acceleration. Pilot injection is also utilized by the common rail fuel system to smooth engine operation. Small amounts of fuel are introduced into the combustion chamber prior to the main injection event, reducing lag time and promoting more continuous and complete combustion. Exterior and interior engine noise is also reduced.

The 1KD engine produces 17% more horsepower with 11% less fuel consumption than its predecessor, the 1KZ engine. Fuel consumption is also 12% more efficient than Toyota's Hybrid synergy drive.

This engine was first used in Toyota Land Cruiser Prado and now used in the Toyota Fortuner, Hiace and Toyota Hilux.
  • Just did the Imperial MPG conversions for the US MPG's using the following data on the D4D installed in UK Toyota Landcruiser weighing 4806 pounds.

Urban (City) 24.6 Imperial MPG or 20.5 US MPG
    Extra Urban (Highway) 37.7 Imperial MPG or 31.4 US MPG
    Combined (Combined) 41.4 Imperial MPG or 26.1 US MPG ( or 9 MPG better than the US FJ using Super Unleaded Gas)

0-62 MPH was 11.2 Sec
    Top Speed was 109 MPH

Why don't we have these in the USA? 597 Miles per 19 gallon tank of diesel verses 291 with Super Unleaded (hwy)... WTH Toyota???
  • Thinking and dreaming about the FJ for me (cause my wife and daughter are trying to take over both of my cars - a Murano and Corolla).
    Not concerned much about fuel consumption while having a Corolla as a 2nd car, - when I need, - it shows me 39 mpg at hwy speed 75-90 miles/hr.
    But my big concern is a small fuel tank of FJ, especially with my habit of night driving from camping sites on remote rural roads.
    My Corolla has a 13.2 gallon tank, Murano - 21.7 gallon fuel tank. I always happy to see that both of my cars normally achieve 250 miles on a half tank, - so usually I have enough gas left for a return trip from a remote site.
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    edited May 2010
    Just thought I'd update this page with a 2010. Our 4WD auto 2010 is getting better than 22 on the Fwy at 75 mph...not bad for a Med SUV with these capabilities! :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.