Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Electrical Problems

Comments

• Thanks for your insight, Jeff. Sounds logical that it's the switch...only problem is, where is the switch? Is this the key fob button, the dash board button or is it in the release/latch mechanism in the rear door? Are you able to describe what it looks like?
    Thanks again!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Do you have the tailgate (flips down) or the lift gate (whole door goes up)?
  • Well, the garage traced the short to the wiring for the lumbar motor. Once they disconnected the lumbar motor everything started to work again. I see in other posts that someone else identified this as a problem. There must be a pinch point in there somewhere. I have been trying to find a part number for that lumbar assembly but gmpartsdirect.com catalog is down for the time being. Does anyone have a part number for the lumbar assembly. I guess I should replace it cause the wifey will be on me to get it fixed. Thanks.
  • Well, the garage traced the short to the wiring for the lumbar motor. Once they disconnected the lumbar motor everything started to work again. I see in other posts that someone else identified this as a problem. There must be a pinch point in there somewhere. I have been trying to find a part number for that lumbar assembly but gmpartsdirect.com catalog is down for the time being. Does anyone have a part number for the lumbar assembly. I guess I should replace it cause the wifey will be on me to get it fixed. Thanks.
  • Like most I have the lift gate, sort of like a hatchback design.
    The switch is in the hatch and is activated by the pushbutton below the window. One trick is to push the button in all the way and use a shop vac or air source to make sure there isn't dirt that is keeping the button from fully releasing, thereby activating the switch intermittently.
  • Thanks! I'll check this out today and let you know. When I think back to when the problem started I had the leftgate in the open position and left it open during a thunderstorm. It was partially backed into a garage but I'm sure the pushbutton got soaked because of the position. So, between the rain and whatever dirt got washed into the switch I'll bet your suggestion probably right. It's hopefully just dirt in the contacts that I can clean out with compressed air or by taking apart and cleaning. More later!
  • Fixed it! I took the interior plastic panel off the liftgate to get full access to the hardware. I removed the switch assembly and took it apart. Surprise! The switch is NOT really water or dirt proof. The plastic housing is recessed inside the door but can still be exposed to the elements especially when the liftgate is in the open position. I cleaned out the crud on the switch contacts and used a waterproof grease to lube it. I reassembled and she works like as new!
    While I had access to all the linkages for the door lock I cleaned and lubricated all the cheap plastic pieces and levers to hopefully prevent the problem others have experienced.
    Like a rock...yeah, right!
  • my horn has stopped working. I checked the fuse and it is ok. horn will work if you use emergency button on my keys. Could it be a bad relay?
    Well, crushed rock, maybe.

Glad you got it working.

Jim
  • Jim:
    Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate your assistance.
  • Did you find the part at a part store or did you have to go to a dealership??? :confuse:
  • I fixed the part...didn't need to buy anything. I took the pushbutton/lock assembly out and disassembled the switch, cleaned the contacts and reassembled it. This cured the short in the circuit. Originally I had thought the actuator was bad, and that would have required a trip to the parts store.
    I've found over the years that some electronic components can be disassembled and repaired. A year or two ago the intermittant wipers weren't working. I took apart the housing on the wiper motor and found the contacts had much too much grease on them. I cleaned off the gunk and lightly lubricated them...and everything works fine. Every once in a great while it's really something quite simple...but I usually fear the worst!
  • I see Many many blazer's with Electrical issues hope i didn't make a mistake ..

Mine is a 1997 100,007 miles LT - Pretty much fully loaded ... Electrical Seats and windows and such ...

Started out Door lock and power Seat relay Pops .. Haven't found that short yet but have a few more hint here .. and "MAY" be related .....

Here's My SERIOUS issue ... Wife brought the truck home ... threw the keys at me and said the Air dosent work again (FLORIDA COLOR = BLACK - Imagine my problems) Ok ... So I get in the next day ... it's not only dosent have air .. the Day time driving lights are out, the Dash and all the gages are out .. no SPEEDO , No TACH (Not Digital) and cant trust the Amp and gas gage --- And When I turn on the lights the head light Buzzer stays on .....

OK I deal with all that on the way to work ... On the way home ... head light Dim, wipers move slower and slower ... until POOF .. nothing - I was driving on the battery ...

GET get it home through several jumps and figure Alternator Right ? I put a meter to the back nut on the alt and got 11.3, 11.2, 11.1 .... it was crashing fast ... took it off and ran to my friendly Auto parts man who tested it twice -- trust me if he could sell me one he would but it was good !! Battery holds a charge and is about 6 months old ....

I am Pretty Handy when it comes to cars ... so if someone can give a hint on what next or may have had this issue ... PLEASE let me know .... A RELAY ? Some Typical Problem Connector ??

THANKS
    DAVE !!

PS ... also thought the Circuit breaker issue with the seats and locks was an issue in the seat .. but when disconnected Seat --- Circuit breaker Still got damm near red hot and popped ... So Still hunting down that one .. :))

HELP !! Car in garage .......... !!!
  • HI there & do you have pictures? I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and have the same problem but we did get the back window to open and took screws from the panel and it does look like part of the blue tab is broken...but when we put a tie throught the blue plastic and put the other end through the medal piece - it would open the liftgate window but it wouldn's close...I wonder if we put the tie in the wrong place....do you have suggestions?
  • I got in the back and pulled back the plastic panel and you can barely see a gold , metal piece & I put my finger behind that & pushed down & that opened the window...now we're trying to figure out how ot fix with a tie or should we just buy a new actuator..
  • I pulled back the plastic panel - got in the back seat & pulled it back - is hard to do but I did it and than you see a gold medal piece & I put my finger behind that & pushed down on a lever & presto - it opens the window...Now we're trying to figure out how to fix the blue piece on the actuator with a tie or should we jsut try to buy a new actuator?
  • Did you get this fixed? I have a 2000 Blazer and pulled on the plastic panel in the back & did get the window open by putting my finger behind the gold medal piece & pushing down and that opened the window....now do you know if we put a tab in the blue plastic tab or the rubber part behind that??
  • I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and have the panel opened - do you have pictures on how we fix with a tie or should I order a part - guess the actuator for this??

If you have pictures or a web site will you send to me?