Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Electrical Problems

Comments

• ok so i have read some of the posts about this problem..
    My problem is even when my turn signals are off it still keeps clicking. My brake lights all work and I've changed the turn signal flasher($12) behing the glove box.. It hasn't fixed my problem.. It keeps either clicking or making a weird buzzing sound.. Help me please.. Just a girl trying to fix her car..:-)
  • I also have a '98 blazer and was having the same problem - clicking coming from behind the glove box and sometimes the buzzing sound. I replaced the entire turn switch assembly on the tree and that fixed the problem. I found the part on ebay for about $75. It's kinda hard to replace, but much cheaper than taking it to the shop.
  • So this would be on the steering column?? Or where the flasher switch is?? I do most of my repairs myself but this sounds kinda tricky.. Everything has been working fine it's just the annoying clicking and once in awhile the buzzing... Looked for any type of shorts or corroded wires. I even found something about checking my trailer light plug.. did that too.. cleaned it and wrapped it up.. clueless as to what to do next.. I just turn up the radio and try to ignore but I know it needs to be fixed properly.. Thanks for any help you can give me..
    Michelle
  • rebuilt engine, checked fuses, battery fine, power only to starter and then absolutely nothing! HELP! :sick:
  • bitterbitter Posts: 22
    Did you ever find the fix to this problem? I have the same issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bitter.
  • hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
  • hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
  • i have a 2000 gmc jimmy 2dr 4x4, i have a problem with my abs and cant quite get it figured out... maybe you guys can help, here goes. abs light on and goes off all the time. which leads me to an intermitant problem. i put it on the computer and the code that i got said it was a power failier no senors are bad the module and all are working fine... it's a power surge or power failier that is causeing the problem.. but i have no clue where to even begin to trace this problem i have checked my battery teminals and got them all cleaned. i checked all connections from the puse panel under the hood going to the abs module on the master cylinder.. where else should i look do you have a wiring diagram for the abs that you can send me to trace the wires??
  • A freind was pulling plug wire passenger side and I was trying to get dash off to get to radio and fan switch cause neither one of em turned on had key in and turned to on and was about to put screw driver to work ............radio came on but no blower ??
    I DIDENT DO IT I swear............The Jimmy germlin ??
    My freind was happy I finshed my part quick Iam sitting there driver in hand looking like ??????????
    Anyway what can I look for and any and all help is needed.New here and this is MY first Jimmy.Thanks Vernon
  • micknmickn Posts: 2
    Still not sure why the door locks were acting strange but the main problem ended up being the fuel pump. $550 to fix! Overall this has been a good Blazer. It currently has 190,000 miles on it.
  • I'm fairly sure this has been covered...but, as a new member, I can't find a reference to it. I have a 96 Blazer LT with the basic AM/FM radio with a single CD player. It was operating fine until one day it started flashing on and off when the power was off. Sometimes you couldn't turn it off. Now it's dead except you can push the recall button and it will show the proper time...and you can still insert and remove a CD to the player. Any ideas or suggestions. I took it to be checked and they wanted $400 to repair. Seemed jussssttt a bit steep. Thanks.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    You can replace it with a working used one for about $100. There is a place out of Florida named s10Warehouse I have bought from. They just deal in S10/Blazer used parts.
  • bill166bill166 Posts: 1
    Hey Rick, what exactly is the multi function switch you refer too?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The multifunction switch is the turn signal, high beam, cruise control, wipers.

The stalk has some of the switches in it, and actuates others in the column.
  • bitterbitter Posts: 22
    I have a 97 Chevy Blazer that had a similar problem. The ABS light would come on and the brake light would come on and go out simultaneously. They both would come on and go off. But while this was occurring, the blower would stop working and the electric windows would not work. Strangely enough it turned out to be the ignition switch in the steering column. Not the key ignition, but rather the harness that runs to the fuse block. $100 bucks @ local parts place. A few years difference but I think that's it. Not very hard to change, just tedious. Get a second opinion.
  • tolesontoleson Posts: 9
    Hey guys i'm looking for alot of input on this one. I have a 1995 chevy blazer and Out of the blue iv'e lost both low beam lights. To make this problem even more interesting is the fact that when I turn on the high beams... Even though they work the blow the number 16 fuse for the turn signals. This truck has been a great truck I just hope this isn't anything major. I think it has to be something stupid. I just haven't found anything yet. PLEASE HELP! :sick: :sick: :confuse: :confuse:
  • I'm new here, this looks like a great site. My tach on my 2001 Jimmy lunges below 50mph & above 80. The engine doesn't rev or anything, it just spikes. Recently had a tranny flush and new fuel filter put in, alternator rebuilt, but I wouldn't think that would do it. But I have been experiencing some electrical issues over the last 6 mos. or so. I've lost my overhead compass/temp. readout, then 2 button lights on the stereo, some dash lights, the rest of the stereo buttons, and my 4x4 wouldn't engage, but it just started working again. 1 other thing, we're getting a shock once in a while when getting out. Any ideas just short of a complete electrical trace would be helpful.
    Thanks
  • frost49frost49 Posts: 1
    Don't know if you are still looking for a fix, but I followed the directions and I had the same problem. Fixed but wouldn't close. The lever that unlocks the window has to be pushed to the right (sitting outside looking into the back) to work. Push the lever to the right a little at a time and tighten the nylon tie as you go. The lever has to be so far over to allow the lock to work when you close the hatch. From where it starts with nothing on it I had to move it about an inch over towards the accuator to get it to work both ways. Hope this helps and thanks BIG to Really M for his advice. Saved me $100.00 part from dealer and $75 in labor. :)
  • ktcim1ktcim1 Posts: 1
    i have a gmc jimmy and it doesnt start without me jumping it. i put a new alternater, a new batter, and a new starter. It still won't start without me jumping it. Can anyone help me?
  • My 2001 Jimmy won't start if it sits in cold weather (around 32 F) longer than a couple days, something that just started this winter (previous, colder winters were not a problem). The starter will crank and crank, the engine just won't start. Once I warm it up (tow it to a garage, for instance), it fires right up. If I drive it every day--no problem. Coil and coolant temp sensor were replaced--no dice. Put a distributor and ignition module from a Blazer on there--no dice. Plugs, wires, rotor and battery are all about 1.5 years old. No codes coming up on diagnostic. Plugs are all wet--getting plenty of fuel, mechanic thinks they're just not getting enough voltage, that maybe changing them again would do it. I find it hard to believe that all six plugs would have the same problem. Am overseas where parts are tough to come buy, so just popping in a new set of plugs isn't as easy as it sounds. This thing is kicking my butt--any thoughts? Thanks!