Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Electrical Problems

Comments

• More findings ... GETTING CLOSER but not home YET !!!

Also Late last night after reading a very similar issue in A/F ..... I found a Fuse for the Gauges/inst Blown .... 10 A ..........I placed another 10 A in and when I turned the key to the prestart position all dash gages and warning lights worked ... but when i fired the up the engine .. Poof Popped again ... Went to a 25 A fuse just to see if i can buy my self some time and All systems stayed functional - all dash systems worked ... AC back on ... 4x4 switch worked ... and Driving lights ...and most of all the Alt was once again Putting out about 13.8 V --- I know this is a NO NO !! So I sent back and went up only one notch to a 15A fuse and it also worked ... this will buy some time to research the circuit and understand what the fuse feeds and track down any possible short ... AMAZING what this little 10A fuse feeds though ... sounds like the problem could be anywhere !!!

So if this add any help ... I still need help understanding it all .... this 97 is a wiring nightmare ..... Looks like GM Engineer's had a ball covering and taping wires under the hood ..

Thanks ALL
    Dave :P

Thanks all for the hints ... this isn't an exact science for sure .. I will POKE around with it this week and really tear into it this weekend again ... I have a Few more IDEA's as well ... Known friend of previous owner was a Delphi engineer ... Changed the Ignition switch .... Hmmmm !! Both Mirrors have been replaced (something is Pinched somewhere) ... Seemed the previous owner's garage was too narrow ..(2 Car wide) and the thought that something that little ol 10 amp Fuse feeds is the culprat ... I will get a Wiring diagram and do some studying ......... Will be sure to document what the issue was !! as well as the Power seat and Lock situation ... May all be related somehow ... Right now I don't see any smoldering wires with the 15 amp fuse in the home of the 10A Gage/inst

So I am on the road but cautious and watching closely ........ I will check into the Warranties ...... gotta love any FREE parts ....

Thanks again and Will let ya know

Dave
  • The blue piece you can special order at O'riellys, I had to be diligent and patient as they looked it up...Don't let them tell you it is a OEM part and you have to go to a dealership to get it all the dealerships I went to tried to tell me I had to buy the whole actuator assembly well their WRONG. This is a Dorman Part#42426 cost:$2.93 plus$5.00 shipping and probably some tax.
  • Single mom with Jimmy in shop for over a week racking up the BILL! Please Help! I have had my Jimmy for 2 years and from the day I bought it I have had problems. The battery keeps getting drained from something. I have it in the shop right now to have the remote starter removed only to find out the sending unit and fuel pump need replaced. I assume because the thing starts on it's own all the time. My fuel gage has always done the bouncing thing so I have never been able to tell how much fuel I have. I see that may have to do with the sending unit? The problem I have now after taking the remote starter off the key is still stuck in the ignition and won't come out of park. I think this might be part of the theft deterant devise not sure. Also when you take the cable off battery the cable somehow still has spark and the engine turns over. Can someone please tell me what the problem might be? I think that the theft device is keeping the key in therefore draining the battery...and not allowing it to fire once the battery is charged again, but don't know how to stop it
  • Hi,

Any suggestions on getting the panel pulled back having problem with 2000.
  • Most of the time after starting my 97 Blazer the ABS light will stay on. Sometimes even the red Brake light will stay on also. While this light is on the power windows,cruise control and heater blower motor will not work. normally you can get the light to go out by shutting of the engine and re-starting it. sometimes the light will come back on again. anyway, when the light is not on, everything works fine. any ideas what might be causing this?
  • otraotra Posts: 2
    I have a 99 gmc jimmy with 135k on it. i have done a bunch of work on it.
    altanator = $120
    fuel pump = $500
    water pump = $75
    LF and RF hubs = $150ea
    Smog pump = $450
    Door pins = $50ea
    and regular maitnence of course...

repairs seem to be more cost effective then buying a new car, so....

My latest problem is the headlights, parking lights and all the interior lights pulsate all at the same time and dim in and out while im driving. its kind of hypnotic. anyway, the altinator is only a year old. so im wondering if this is a result of a bad voltage regulator. i was under the impression that the voltage regulator was an internal component of the altinator. therefore it has been replaced.

is there a external voltage regulator that can be replaced or am i on the wrong path all togeather here?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. The problem you are describing would indicate a bad regulator. I assume the car is starting okay?

If you have an analog voltmeter (needle movement instead of lcd) you can probably see the voltage swing at idle. Turning on all the lights will put the regulator under a load and magnify the problem.

If you have a warranty on the alternator, take it back.
  • I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer with over 140,000 miles on it. When the vehicle is turned off and I put my foot on the brake pedal, the following happens: the interior and exterior lights come on, the dash lights come on, the indicator lights come on, and the radio plays. In addition, my right turn signal will not blink...the left one does. (I checked the bulbs...they're o.k.) Also, my brake lights are on constantly. Hummmm??? Any suggestions???
  • micknmickn Posts: 2
    My girlfriend's 2001 Blazer has had a problem for a few years now where it won't start right away. It turns over but won't fire. It usually does start after 5 or 6 tries. The strange part is that when you crank it over the power door locks go up and down. Any thoughts on what is going on here?
  • Ok so my problem is that when I turn my headlamps and gauge lights on, my
    stereo deck//head-unit turns off, so after re-wiring my aftermarket deck, and I checked
    my wiring I don't know how many times, but for some reason my horn and interior lamp
    doesn't work any more either, I have checked all my fuses and such but I have also
    asked around on a few other forums some people said my ground would be the problem, but I doubt that because the deck still turns on, and others said it could be the alternator.

Anyone have an idea????

Thanks In Advance.
    Not the alternator as it supplies all power to the vehicle. The battery will only support the vehicle for a few hours without recharge, so it must be doing it's job.

Did the problems begin after the stereo swap?
  • Yes only after i did the stereo swap did this problem persist, I don't really know much about domestics as I've only owned this truck//suv, for
    about 2 months.
  • Can't get the parking lights to shutoff. Pulled fuses 2 and 3 and they are still on. Anybody seen this before? Thanks
    Disconnect your stereo power and see if the problem disappears. It could be that the connection instructions you received are incorrect, or if an adapter harness was included there may be an error in the connection.

Start by pulling the electrical connections and see if that clears the other problems.

Just thought of something. I have found times when the instructions on an aftermarket stereo showed connections to wires of specific color, but they get the colors wrong. So, even though you follow the instructions exactly, it still doesn't work. You might check out the wiring diagram in the back of a Haynes (or equivalent) manual and see if the diagram matches the instructions.

Jim
  • Thanks Jim, I'll take a look and see what I can do,
    but just wondering, could it be that the Orange(Illumination)wire, and the Red(Acc)wire,
    are reversed for some weird reason even though I followed the intructions//put the colors properly together??
    I just know that GM did not always follow the same color code that Ford and Chrysler did. The classic mis-cue was wiring up a seven contact trailer light connector. If you wired per the standard color code, the left signal wire would be connected to the clearance lights! Easy to see the mistake the first time the driver turned left and half the lights on the dumb trailer would start flashing!

Check on some of the parts houses and see if you can get a manual with wiring diagram. I am thinking more and more that a color mapping error has caught you.
    What year model is your Blazer?
  • I have a 1993 GMC Jimmy. The turn single have stopped working. :blush: Hazards work wipers work, brights work just not blinkers fuse is good and wires don't seem lose. what are my options short of replacing the whole switch for brights/wipers etc :confuse:
  • can any one help me
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    The problem is most likely either the turn signal switch (in your steering column) or the flasher unit itself. Thoughts anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ok so i have read some of the posts about this problem..
    My problem is even when my turn signals are off it still keeps clicking. My brake lights all work and I've changed the turn signal flasher($12) behing the glove box.. It hasn't fixed my problem.. It keeps either clicking or making a weird buzzing sound.. Help me please.. Just a girl trying to fix her car..:-)
  • I also have a '98 blazer and was having the same problem - clicking coming from behind the glove box and sometimes the buzzing sound. I replaced the entire turn switch assembly on the tree and that fixed the problem. I found the part on ebay for about $75. It's kinda hard to replace, but much cheaper than taking it to the shop.
  • So this would be on the steering column?? Or where the flasher switch is?? I do most of my repairs myself but this sounds kinda tricky.. Everything has been working fine it's just the annoying clicking and once in awhile the buzzing... Looked for any type of shorts or corroded wires. I even found something about checking my trailer light plug.. did that too.. cleaned it and wrapped it up.. clueless as to what to do next.. I just turn up the radio and try to ignore but I know it needs to be fixed properly.. Thanks for any help you can give me..
    Michelle
  • rebuilt engine, checked fuses, battery fine, power only to starter and then absolutely nothing! HELP! :sick:
  • bitterbitter Posts: 22
    Did you ever find the fix to this problem? I have the same issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bitter.
  • hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
  • hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
  • i have a 2000 gmc jimmy 2dr 4x4, i have a problem with my abs and cant quite get it figured out... maybe you guys can help, here goes. abs light on and goes off all the time. which leads me to an intermitant problem. i put it on the computer and the code that i got said it was a power failier no senors are bad the module and all are working fine... it's a power surge or power failier that is causeing the problem.. but i have no clue where to even begin to trace this problem i have checked my battery teminals and got them all cleaned. i checked all connections from the puse panel under the hood going to the abs module on the master cylinder.. where else should i look do you have a wiring diagram for the abs that you can send me to trace the wires??
  • A freind was pulling plug wire passenger side and I was trying to get dash off to get to radio and fan switch cause neither one of em turned on had key in and turned to on and was about to put screw driver to work ............radio came on but no blower ??
    I DIDENT DO IT I swear............The Jimmy germlin ??
    My freind was happy I finshed my part quick Iam sitting there driver in hand looking like ??????????
    Anyway what can I look for and any and all help is needed.New here and this is MY first Jimmy.Thanks Vernon
  • micknmickn Posts: 2
    Still not sure why the door locks were acting strange but the main problem ended up being the fuel pump. $550 to fix! Overall this has been a good Blazer. It currently has 190,000 miles on it.