Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Engine and Diagnostics Problems

pmorg1pmorg1 Posts: 7
I have an Innova OBDII Diagnostics Code Reader. Have used it successfully on several cars including a 1999 Expedition, 2002 F-250, 2001 Mustang, Toyotas, VWs, Lexus, etc.

When I tried it on my 2004 Explorer, it did not work. Talking to Innova, they explained that by 2008 all car manufacturers had to upgrade their diagnostics to the "CAN" diagnostics and that my Explorer had already updated to this standard.

This appears to be the case, but does anyone know if there are other alternatives, as the CAN software is expesive; i.e., $500+.

Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• I have a Ford Explorer 1997 4.0 enging this noise starts when the automobile gets hot and it continues at stop, on the road any speed this sound is progressive getting worse and louder.
  • blue05blue05 Posts: 42
    I had a 98 Explorer with a tow package and was told that a sound similar to your was to fan clutch engaging . Yours sounds like it maybe defective .
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    2001 Explorer 4.0 v6. Vehicle would not start, so my daughter had it towed to the Ford dealer in her home town. They tested the head gasket after finding water in the oil. I would have done the same. They tell her that the head gasket is fine. Next they ask if the car was in a flood. It was not. They tell her that water was found in #6 spark plug. The vehicle was hydro locked. After changing the oil, a tune up and a fuel filter change at 750.00 they still can't find a reason for the water getting into the oil. Can the head gasket be the cause and the mechanic just missed this? How else can water get into the oil? I explained to her how to check the dip stick for water so we can keep an eye on this. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Pretty much, has to be a head gasket, an intake manifold gasket (which is my vote if the head gasket is ok) or a cracked block.
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    Never thought of the intake gasket. Guess that's why I don't fix auto's for a living. Thanks for the info. I'll have them check for that, and thanks for the quick reply.
  • Has anyone had a lot of major problems with their 2002 Explorer? Mine only has 50k miles and has had brakes replaced twice, as well as front and rear hubs,rotors, bearings replaced. It has also needed a new alternator, has had major electronic problems with pin switches in doors, electrical dash board problems, and many other things that have cost me thousands of dollars outside of my extended warranty. Could I just have a lemon or are these kinds of parts expected to wear out after 4-5 years, with only 50k miles on the car? What do you suggest, get a new car or stick with this one? I'm now told I need new brakes again, and I never abuse the car. I'm also told I need emergency brake pads, more electronic parts, totalling several hundreds of dollars. Please give me an honest opinion. My Explorer has not held up well at all for being only 5 years old. Thx.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,752
    what kind a extended warranty do you have that does not extend to 50k miles? why were the tiems you describe not covered?
    not ready to give you my opinion, yet. ;)
  • jcat12jcat12 Posts: 3
    Does anybody know if I can replace my 1998 4.0 OHV explorer engine with 1993 Explorer OHV engine. I am sure they are same motors just not sure if everything bolt right in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • The 98 engine is slightly different form a performance standpoint. If you do make the switch, it won't perform as well.

But aside from that, the system that controls your 98 is OBD II, and the 93 is OBD I. You'd have to take a number of sensors off your 98 to use them on the 93, and hope there weren't any changes so that everything mates up.

Here's the kicker...In many states, it isn't legal to put an older engine in a newer vehicle. But if you do it yourself, who's going to know.

My guess is, on a scale of 1 to 10, the swap should run at a 6 or less.
    Any chance you know what sensors I will have to change. Live in Canada so not sure law applies here. Appreciate the help.
  • rabbitm32rabbitm32 Posts: 1
    2002 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4.6L I have 77,000 miles now on my Explorer and have just found Water in my oil on my last oil change. I have had the gasket replaced by the oil filter that has both water and oil flowing through it. I noticed the problem 4,000 miles after this. I added water just after the repair but thought it was due to fluid loss during the repair. I have taken it back to the facility but they are sure it is not from the repair. I have been driving now since the oil change for 350 miles and have no sign of coolant loss or water in the oil again. My vehicle never over heated and has no loss of power and runs smooth. Does this vehicle have a oil passing through tubing in the radiator to cool? I have no sign of oil in the coolant tank.
  • zevorukozevoruko Posts: 9
    Just wondering, cause the belt in my 2001 Explorer Sport looks a bit beaten and all my cars were non-interference engines so I never really worried about the belt busting and messing the engine.

In the case of the V6 in my Explorer, is it wise to change the belt now? Is the engine an interference engine? What is the risk if the belt/pulley breaks?

Thanks a lot for the info guys!!!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You have nothing to fear - that is a non-interference engine, and it's driven from inside the engine by a chain.
  • zevorukozevoruko Posts: 9
    Very well, thanks you the information, Ill rest assured :)
  • chollowschollows Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Explorer which I purchased the extended 75,000 mile warranty on. I have had the vehicle in 3 times over the life of the warranty for problems with the way it runs. It sometimes jerks into gear and actually rolled backwards while in park in April. It has also had a high pitched whistling sound. I have been told each time that the mechanics found nothing wrong. The last time it was in was on April 26th because it just wasn't running right. Again, nothing was wrong. On May 28th I had stopped at my mother in laws. I was there about 10 minutes. When I started the car up to leave, it had a terrible miss. I took it into the dealer the next day. I was told that they thought it was an enternal engine problem and it would cost $689.09 to tear it down to see what the problem was. If it is the engine, $6,000 - $7,000 to fix. The car was 443 miles over the extended warranty. Now I have a car with 3 payments left and a major problem. Ford will do nothing about it either. We have been buying Ford foe over 20 years because my father in law was an employee. The last 2 vehicles have been problems. NO MORE FORD! No wonder they are going under. The quality is gone and the customer service doesn't care.
    Get a new car now!
    I am looking into Hyundai. Can't beat the warranty and the models are great.

Run to you nearest dealer and trade in now before you have my problem.
    Engine swap succesfull did not use 93 OHV but used a 96. Salvage man told me I was making a big mistake buying engine, swore up and down it wouldn't work,but it did only a couple very minor differnces biggest problem was different size manifold bolts. Saved me $500 versus buying a 99 with same milage. Hope this helps someone.
  • i have a 98 ford explorer. i her the pulleys rattle a bit. but i started it up one morning and it sounds like a knockin noise coming from the engine. now i was told the pulleys could be bad but i dont know. its not loud and its on the drivers side of the car. as i accelerate and slow down it goes with the engine. it doesent get louder either it jus stays the same volume. what could it be????
  • I have a 96 ford explorer o/d light starts flashing on and off dont want to go until i get up to about 25mph took it home parked it noticed trans fluid coming out from under.let it sit some one told me it was the front seal go out next day put more trans fluid in it drive it does the same thing except its not leaking trans fluid, check the fuse box , fuse was blown change it o/d light stops flashing but still acting the same way like its stuck in 2nd gear any ideas??? please help!! thanks :mad: :confuse:
  • My 2002 Ford Explorer EB version has over 95,000 miles on it---transmission replaced 10/06 under extended warranty which has now expired. Recently, engine seems to "lag" at hwy speed---I am rarely on the hwy---but yesterday travelled from DC to Baltimore---I95---no problem except "lagging." Just today, however, while driving around 30mph, I noticed a "chugging" noise seemingly coming from under the driver's seat. Noise worsened with acceleration. Any ideas as to the problem & the cost therof? Thank you!
  • I have a 98 ford explorer sport with a v.6 'E' engine.i have a rattle coming from the engine and was told that it is the timeing chain.I was told that its just the valve in the tensioner that needs to be replaced and this will help the problem.has anyone else heard this and if so can replacing just the valve solve the problem.
  • rusierusie Posts: 3
    4.0 OHV engine has trouble codes showing engine is running lean.O2 sensors indicate 0 voltage.. Engine runs fairly well but shakes some. ive been told its a vacuum leak and nothing is wrong with H2o sensors.I cant hear or find a leak with spray. Can anyone please help me?
  • gm4358gm4358 Posts: 1
    I've owned 4 Explorers since 1990. My latest, and last, died the other day while my wife was driving with my son in the car. With no warning while making a turn it just shut down.
    The mechanic said a seal in the engine block failed, allowing coolant to flood the engine which caused major engine damage.
    The dealer gave me a quote of $4800 to replace the engine. Ford has refused to take any responsibility for this issue and has basically told me it's not their problem.
    I am extremely frustrated and angry with this company. This truck has very low mileage and this should never happen. I've changed the oil every 3000 miles since buying it new in Nov 2001.
    A $34000 truck is now basically worthless and Ford doesn't care.
    I would advise everyone to avoid Ford for two reasons: their product stinks and the company does not care about you or their customer service reputation!
  • sdmlsdml Posts: 3
    i have an 1995 elxplorer XLT. it has 93,3350 miles on it. Some times it just doesnt want to start. i had it in a shop for a full week and they could not find the problem. they replaced a relay and for a few months it ran just fine. but since about two weeks ago it started to act up again. i can drive it somewhere and when i get back to my car....it wont start. After I wait for about 10-15min it will start back up no problem. and yes when this happens my car has PLENTY of gas in it. it will turn over but it really sounds like it is out of gas. i have spent ALOT of money trying to find the damn problem and have yet to solve this stupid mystery. can ANYONE at all help. please!!!
  • 99 ford explorer heats up if i turn on a/c runs normal with a/c off install new fan clutch and new thermastat still heats up if a/c turned on can anybody help
  • sdml, I don't have the fix for you, but I am experiencing the EXACT same symptoms with my 1996 Explorer XLT, 146k miles. This has been going on (but getting increasingly frequent) for the past 3 years, until last week. Now it cranks but refuses to start.

I will be tearing into the electrical system over the weekend, I highly suspect it is electrical because (1) I've had an odd intermittent thing going on with the 4WD and windows not working; and (2) I heard a buzzing/shorting-out sound coming from under the dash, next to the steering wheel, last week. It is likely the windows and the starting issue are 2 different things.

But I appreciate your mentioning that your dealer replaced a relay and your Explorer was good for a few months. That confirms my suspicion that this is very likely electrical and not mechanical. If I can figure out which relay(s) it is, I will post detailed information including replacement part numbers once I have it fixed. :) Thank you!!

Bailey
  • velma2000velma2000 Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem w/my Explorer. The overheating when running the A/C is the latest version of the issue. Have taken it in 3x. I haven't taken it to the dealer service yet.

Have you received any answers to this issue? Overall, my SUV has run very well since I purchased it in 2000. But fixing this problem has been very tricky.

Thanks.
  • hey all.. i have 2001 Explorer Sport.. it has a check engine lite.. now everywheres (xept dealer) i go they tell me that there is no power at the obd II port... i did some search and it says that pin 16 should have power... but it dont.. does any one know of this issue and if so what to do.. i have checked all the fuses and such,,, but not sure as to the relays... the brakers all seem fine..

thank you for any help you can give
  • Had a similar problem with my 1999 Sable. Problem was that the radiator mesh was finer than the A/C condensor mesh. So, radiator got plugged (prevented air from passing through and cooling it) and whole system ran hot, especially when A/C on. Note this is NOT a plugged coolant line, but rather a radiator not having air pass through it. Replaced radiator in the Sable, but could have just cleaned it.
  • My Explorer now has ~171,000 miles on it, and so far has been a good car, I think. Anyway, it has a problem with the engine, a sound that is a sort of tapping from the area of cylinder 1 (maybe 2 or 3). When I first start it, it is noticeable at idle, then once the motor is warm it is only present when accelerating (apply any gas and the tapping comes back). At highway speed, or any other, tapping is only when on the gas. Sound is definately engine related, as it is there when in Park and is proportional to engine RPM not vehicle speed. I don't feel any issue with acceleration, but harder I accelerate the higher volume the tapping. I don't drive it much since a couple of years ago, maybe 10,000 miles per year mostly during winter, but I do usually take it on some errands every couple of weeks.
  • I just bought a new battery thinking maybe that was the problem-but no it was not the issue. When I am usually at a stop light or idle the Explorer seems to have a click noise just before the speed in the motor changes to a lower idle-then stalls. Please has anyone experienced this problem-would you be so kind as to help me out with my problem