Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS: rapid acceleration problems????

2»

Comments

• Hi! I'm not sure if this will be of value to anyone, but thought I would mention it on here. My son is a mechanic and he's really good at fixing electrical problems. He was working on someone's Lincoln LS that was having acceleration problems where it would rev and then just take off intermittently and no one had been able to find the problem after going to several mechanics. I don't know if this could be causing problems for other people (and in other types of cars), but my son said it was really hard to find. He discovered in the middle back of the engine a little toward the passenger seat due to the tie rod being on top that when you turn the wheel it would rub up against wires that were connected to the idle control sensor. He said this would only happen on cars with the tie rod on top. These wires were frayed and shorting and were thus falsely sensing the idle position to be open all the way so the car would take off. He just taped them and the problem stopped. Just wanted to post FYI in case this helps someone else. Hopefully I explained it so that someone can understand because I'm not a mechanic and this was my understanding of what he said. DJ
  • I have a 2010 Lincoln MKZ and I had problems with accelereation....not having
    any power. The Ford Dealer replaced the throttle body and a month later my
    car had an untintentional acceleration problem. I was parking and my car surged into a building when putting on the brake. I was already slowing the car down as you do when you park and it accelerated into the building causing excessive damage to the front of my car. Luckily there were no people sitting on the bench in front of the building where my car crashed. I haven't had the car all that long and traded my old car in only because it had higher miles and wasn't comfortable taveling alone in it. Wow, I don't know what to say. I guess it doesn't matter how new or how many miles you might have on a car regarding the safety of it. I hope Ford will stand behind their product.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,701
    Sorry to say that you most likely hit the accelerator instead of the brake, even though you may think you are 100% sure that you didn't.
  • What kind of research or expertise do you have to come to that conclusion? Maybe you would take a look at www.engineeringexchange.com regarding Unintended Acceleration. Electronic control units or sensors can cause this problem. Hope this never happens to you, it is very frightening.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,701
    I understand you can get unintended acceleration without pressing the accelerator. However, if your foot was actually pressing the brake at the same time then the car would not move.

What you're saying is there was an electronic glitch at the exact same time that you pressed the brake pedal AND the brakes did not stop the car. Way too much coincidence. Pedal misapplication happens all the time and is the far more probable explanation.

Perhaps you're too young to remember Audi in the 1980s?
  • mymkzmymkz Posts: 3
    What did you ever find out on your MKZ? How long did it take Lincoln/Ford to figure out the problem?
2»