Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Electrical Problems

Comments

• ysc75ysc75 Posts: 1
    Hi there.
    I had same problem. Did you solve the problem??
  • My 95 pathfinder battery died last christmas, even though the battery was only 1 yr old & the alternator only 1.5 yrs old. I replaced the battery under warranty, and didn't have a problem until now (august), when it suddenly died on me during a trip to the supermarket. Even my brother's pickup couldn't jumpstart it. I'm thinking it's an electrical issue (my sensor already always thinks my doors are open) in that there might be a short that's draining the battery or that is causing the alternator to not charge it consistently. Any ideas?
  • Do you have access to a voltmeter. If you do check the voltage at the battery while running , it should be 13.50
    to 14.50 volts. Then check when truck is of 11.50 to 12.50
    .If you get a reading of 12 or below while running alternater is probably bad. If you can try another
    battery. Good luck :shades:
  • I am also having the same problem as the other guy, i just put another alternator in and another new battery and yet for some reason it keeps dying still any i deas?
  • ok get a voltmeter if you can check it running and not running, like in my other post. You would be so suprised at
    how many alternaters are defective. Did you have it put in by your mechanic or did you DIY? If you DIY you almost certianly got a bad one (do not buy Pep b#oy$). Let me know.
    If battery and Alt positivly check out 100 % you have a bad ground to the battery or alt. keep in touch. :mad:
    Switchfixer.
  • ya i did it yself and everything seem to go good for about 1 day and then it strarted actin as if was runnin on just battery power again. makes me wonder if the remanufactured alternator went thatf ast caus ei know its highly possible., thanks for the input and ill give what u say a shot.
  • yeap, No doubt about it. "running on battery power" almost everytime means defective alternator. I would advise to get refund on your Alt and buy from another parts house ( maybe a bad production run) . Regards,
    SwitchFixer :mad:
  • just bought path for 9k, driving home from dealer and gas guage,temp guage, and speedo all stand straight up(or full,high)then flutter and fall to empty,low but the speedo surges up to 80mph and stays stuck.nothing working untill i drive back to dealer.trucks off for 5 minutes works again only untill i drive away again.was raining, wander if its shorting.fuses look fine.works the next day(so far)this is not what i was expecting from the nissan i was told about.anyone know about intermit dashboard guages going nuts?
  • It really sounds like a bad speed sensor. The speed sensor goes to the gauge cluster and could cause that.

If your going to keep the Pathfinder get the shop book at pep boys for it. Then you can find and replace bad
    sensors yourself. Good luck!
    SwitchFixer :shades:
  • thanks for the reply.called the repair place today (dealer sent me to) he asked if it was working.i said yes for the last 2 days works fine.said call back thur if it acts up again,if not theres nothing he can do(cant just start replacing everything he says)i wonder if this kinda thing can just go away ?or am i dreaming,and next month it wont work again. i appreciate the advice ,and will make a note of it.im no mech, but can do some minor repairs,plugs etc.thanks
  • Well my wifes car did the same thing for a while and eventully she had to have the speed sensor replaced.
    I mean you can get lucky for a while and maybe
    longer.

Years ago we had speedometer cables that were mechanical
    nowadays its computer driven. So if your speedo jumps around that means the sensor is losing its sensing
    range.

As far as lose connections to the back of the gauge cluster
    and bad fuses i doubt all that.

As far as you mech saying "cant just start replacing everything" he is right because theres really only one or two things it could be - The VSS = vehicle speed sensor. or
    the ABS speed sensor if your vehical has two sensors

One ? does your ABS light come on?
    Switchfixer :mad:
  • the abs light did not go on. everything seems to be working now except the gas guage seems to go quickly.what size gas tank is this 18gal? i hope so.the jeep just got rid of had 20 ,went much slower.thanks for the info
  • Probably a 15 gallon that's what they used in the 95's they could have change though. Make sure your air pressure is good with your tires and a clean air filter and oil change makes a world of difference.

The Pathfinders are known for gulping down gas, so
    you have to go easy out of stop lights and drive it a
    little easier and you will see more miles out
    of a tank.
    Swutchfixer :D
  • Also try not to load your Pathfinder down with all your worldly possessions - I used to have all my tools in the truck and that hurt my mileage, now I just load them when I need them.
    SwitchFixer :shades:
  • well it has atleast 17 gal cap ,i just put in 16 and some change gals.was i mislead on the 19mpg? 1998
  • The right side headlamp fuse keeps blowing even when the bulb
    is unplugged. Anyone have any idea/experience where my problem might be? No skinned wires that I can see near the plug.
    HELP! :mad:
  • Hello what year, make and model?
    Switchfixer
  • LOL. Switchfixer, (DUH) it's a 93 Pathfinder, sorry!
    Now for the real funny part: I had removed my center console to paint it the other day, when I put it back, I plugged the fog lamp leads back in to the switch. It's not a molded plug, just 3 loose leads.I created my own short! :P I found that the fog lights get their power from the right side headlamp wiring via a splice near the combo switch on the underside of the steering column! Go ahead and laugh! I did! Now about the idle problem I have.... :shades:
    David
  • LOL, yea well the outcome was good. I'm glad you figured it out. Idle problem hmmm? Let me know.
    Switchfixer :shades:
  • 98 pather 95k i noticed my right headlight out the other night,i went over to it and smacked it a couple times (lightly)and it came back on. heated seats dont work, instrument cluster needs replacing,it goes bizzurk every hundred miles or so.luckly just bought it and noticed quick enough to tell dealer.i like the suv well enough, have a feeling it has serious electrical issues(engineering flaw).
    it says it has a 21 gal tank in manual.but i can only squeeze 19.99 gals in ,even after driving 30 miles in the light.i believe it does better mpg then my old 04 jeep chero(6 cyl 4.0)
  • don95don95 Posts: 4
    My 98 Pathy will not start simetimes. Not a thing happens when you turn the key.. just the clock display goes out. Have to keep trying the key & maybe after a couple dozen times it will turn over & start. And then when it starts after a short while all gauges loose power (tach, speed, temp, fuel), turn signals won't work, windows won't work and it just stay in (probably) 3rd gear and will not shift. Check engine lite is on.
    My tech checked charging and two main curcuits and says they are ok. He disassembled the ignit switch and cleaned oil & dirt out of it. We thought maybe that fixed it but not so.

Anybody have this problem and solved it?

Thanks
  • i have a 98 also,with 110 k.i know there are issues with the elect ,all lights dim when i open the door or plug something in like serius sat radio. nice little suv ,but im driving with a spare battery in the trunk.already replaced the cluster(speed,tech,gas,etc)no more probs with that.just waiting on the day the back windows wont go up or down.barely working( lack of power?)
    good luck, and keep it in 4wd if your in MN
  • ------------ Read Pathfinder not so good ---------
    Yea sounds like an ignition switch. But I'm not sure. The pathfinder has been the best vehicle I have owned for a while but, read below.

kaydogs are you in MN? If you are have the frame checked out for rust.

I just had my pathfinder inspected and it flunked. It rusted out from the inside out, the frame that is. the Pathfinders have a boxed frame and the moisture cannot get out. my main mechanic told me he see's the Pathfinders all the time with bad rust. he said he could poke a screw driver right threw the frame in places where it looked good. I wish he would have poked around last year when he passed it. I am so mad.

Mine is a pile of junk now, I cannot believe it. I had brand new tires put on 4 months ago and the place where I go to get the service done they will always tell you , you need an alignment or your transmission fluid looks bad do you want it changed. But they never mentioned how bad the cancer was on the frame, totally ridiculous.

Im posting this not to break out the bad news but to tell you guys have it checked, the last thing I wanted or anybody else is the frame breaking down the highway at highway speed and possibly lose my life. freaking junk. don't buy one if you can help it.

Switchfixer :mad:
  • i see that there is some rust on my side step(nerf bar) and when i go over big bumps i hear something rattling loose.figured it was some kind of clamp or fastener for the exhaust system.havent got around to getting under the truck yet,guess im alittle afraid to find out any bad news.i know that the old japanese steal was sub- par.was hoping that was something that was fixed before 98.well i can and will fix or weld some things myself. talked to one mech (nissan) said the pathfinder was awsome ,better then my 04 jeep grand,stronger, better millage .(i think he has been brain washed)well, we`ll see.so far all i can say is i notice th 2 inches i lost in the drivers seat.6 foot 2 inch, knee cramp
  • I have no dash lights-or brake lights but everthing else works fine. Tried looking for instrument/dash fuse but no luck!? Now when I park, the gear shift locks in place and I have to use a screwdriver to get trans in Drive-but still no brake lights?? any help!!!! tired of trashfinder
  • trashfinder LOLLOLOLOL
    I hear ya.
    switchfixer
  • mine locks too. what i found is that if i turn the wheel hard one way ,foot on brakes and try moving shifter.no idea why.not sure it will help you,worth a try.
    as far as the cluster ,luckily i realized it as soon as i bought it and they replaced it for me.i think these things have real bad electricall issues.and i dont have a clue about fixen cars.thought thats why i bought a 10 grand 98 pathy with 89 thousand miles(because they were sooo much better then our american.
    good luck
  • When you have no dash lights, you also have no tail lights. (It is a safety feature) Most all cars I've ever been around are like that. Check the fuses on the passenger side of the engine under the hood. Let me know if that helps, if not I'll look into it more.

As for the shifter, ( your is newer than mine ) there might be a shift-lock fuse that has blown. Anyone else know more?
  • Found 1 problem- backed down low into a ditch (deer huntin' story) and mashed the converter for trailer lights!!
    took the whole assembly off , checked fuses for 1 mill time and there it was- blown!! got my me rear lights working and the shifter now works!! But no clue on dash lights?? i've looked everwhere & owner manuel !!
  • Thanks alot-I finally found it- the back tail light relay!! all the other fuses were good so that had to be it,and for once it actually was!! great site also!!