Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Electrical Problems

Comments

• moto915moto915 Posts: 5
    I was driving home from school as i applied the gas all gauges except fuel went dead and car was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. Pulled over because I had no torque. This has happened before after doing donuts due to fail safe in tranny after excessive wheel spin and usually I turn the car off and the tranny resets. So i tried this and went to turn the car back on and had nothing no clicking or anything. Checked fuses and the meter fuse was popped after i replaced the fuse and got a jump car started up and I barely got it home before it shorted again. Took altenator out wasn't the problem. I tried replacing the fuse multiple times and every time the key is turned to the on position the fuse blows. The fuse is called meter and after calling the local dealer we determined that fuse controls the gauges. My neighbor an electrician and I took apart the whole dash looking for the problem after my neighbor tested we determined it is the white wire with black stripe coming out of the meter fuse that controls gauges and warning lights that was shorted out. Any Ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated to get me back on the road.
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    This has happened before after doing donuts due to fail safe in tyranny after excessive wheel spin and ALL this puts a lot of strain on the rear end . they sell this stuff in a small bottle that you add to the rear end fluid and it friction proofs it plus more for the positraction plates inside ,you could try the stuff from auto zone.
  • i have the same problem with the interior lighting, only with my 2002 pathfinder it is with the middle dome light instead of the rear light. can anyone help?
  • my power doorlocks are not working either. when i have the key in the ignition and on the "on" position and try to lock it, it locks and unlock by itself. no idea whats wrong.
    If you read the manual that comes with your pathfinder there is a section about leaving the key in the ignition and then forgetting about it and getting out of the car the doors will lock then reopen , so maybe the system is seeing a door open ,check for loose or broken wires at the doors.
  • the problem exists even when the engine is turned on and while driving. when i leave it on the "on" position with the door closed to listen to the radio, it beeps similar to when u leave the key in the ignition and leaving the door open and the dome light is on. i tried checking the fuses but all the fuse are fine
  • hi my intereor lights not working as well as my stareo not working just keeps blowing fuse when replace the fuse all workd and ten blows a gane any ides would be apreeated

thanks mitch
  • Hi there fellows, something really bogus came up this morning as I turned the ignition on, it started alright, but when I try turning on the air conditioner neither the blower motor nor the air compressor went on, then I tried turning the lights on with the same result, zilch, then I tried lowering the windows and nothing happened, so as it is nothing electrical seems to be working, but the engine is running. I inmediately opened the hood and checked the fuse that is attached to the battery and it seemed alright, then I proceeded to check the "check relay" and it also turned alright........where do I go to from here???? thanks!!!!!
  • I forgot to add that none of the lights on the dashboard seemed to work!!! no electricity whatsoever, nevertheless the truck is running!!!
    my pathy 03 with aftermarket remote start would not work when I changed the battery, I tried every combination to get it going until I was playing with the inside dome light switch and I shut it off and forgot about it , then the next day would you believe my remote starter worked again like new, Ill never turn on that dome light again. it may be because its set on a delay switch thats tied in with the remote wiring,don't know for sure.
  • I started my truck and the oil pressure warning light refused to go off, I drove for about 5 minutes until I found a propper place to park the truck. After opening the hood and observing the bellowing blue smoke from withing the engine I waited until the truck had cooled off and checked again and to my surprise I found the oil filter was loose, then I checked the dipstick and notice I had no oil whatsover in the engine´s reservoir, I proceeded to remove the oil filter and checked the rubber gasket for any damages, I didn´t find any, so I put it back on tightened it then proceeded to fill the engine with oil, it took the whole 5 quarts, then I turned the engine on and let it run for three minutes and to my surprise and anger the oil had leaked and spilled all over the ground. My question is: where is the oil leaking from???? What could cause such an abrupt oil spill?
    his could be it if you didn't find any gasket.

I proceeded to remove the oil filter and checked the rubber gasket for any damages, I didn´t find any, so I put it back on , no,joking if the gasket is there , and ts the wrong filter the circumference could be to large letting the oil out ,check the part no and the brand of filter. also check the oil plug gasket
  • All of a sudden it started the other day, my pathfinder locks all the doors while I am driving. Over and over again. It sounds like an army marching in the car with constant clunk, clunk of the door locks being locked. After the first time it does it, the doors stay locked but the car keeps locking the doors again and again anyway.
    Help! It's driving me crazy!
    Tom
  • stinkstink Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE. I recently had the alternator and battery replaced hoping it would solve my problems but these few remain...

When i first start driving [within 10 minutes] If I hit the window buttons, it some how interrupts the ignition circuit and momentarily kills the car. Like the spark plugs just aren't getting spark for a second, then the car resumes driving normal when you let off. If I hit the brakes or turn the fan on [A/C , or heater] it makes the headlights dim and cuts out the radio.

Something is seriously shorting out. I have checked the fuses and even the tail light connectors, alternator connector etc. Nothing looks abnormal.

Please help. This is really annoying...
  • Tom< check to see if one of your door handles is stuck part way open, Just lubricate the handles and it should go away
    Kev
  • Took it to the Nissan dealer who charged me $120 just to look at it. Told me that it was the body modulator and gave me a $700 estimate. I said no way (thinking I would have the work done at a non dealer auto shop). Picked up the car from Nissan and have not had the problem since. Whatever they did when they looked at it fixed it -and I didnt get a new body modulator!
  • Got a new (minor) problem with my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. it seems that when I open the hatchback, it wont stay all the way up. I am tired of banging my head on the inside of the hatchback and wondering what can be done to fix it?
  • rob171rob171 Posts: 1
    Did you ever solve your 98 Pathfinder compass trouble. I have the same issue - cigarette lighter, compass and temp indicator all quit.
  • stinkstink Posts: 3
    In my case it was the little plastic box on the positive terminal that allows 2 aux wires that run to the fuse box to contact the positive terminal also. I just cut the wires, put some huge leads on them, and hooked it to the screw on the positive terminal. Problem solved. It was shorting right there and had melted that red thing.
  • peter931peter931 Posts: 13
    I have 97 Pathfinder with no key fab and factory alarm is keep draining my battery.
    Is any one know how to completely disconet this alarm . Somewhere has to be a main security control module or something .
    Thanks
  • Look under the driver's seat, that's where it is in my 93. I don't think they did much changing around. Might be easier to unbolt the seat and tip it back out of the way. Takes a 12mm wrench. Sure it's the security system draining the battery? :shades:
  • Hi. I have almost the same problem with my 97 Pathfinder... Although the cigarette lighter is working, my compass and temp display is not.
    I am sure that it's not to be changed because when I start up the engine the temp/compass display does light up for a few seconds as if it were working but then it dies. There must be some electrical issue. Checked the fuse... they all look fine.

Have you fixed your problem?
    Please Help :cry:
  • The following is not functioning: windows, radio, dash, cig lighter, brake lights,signal lights, yield lights, back wiper-- pretty much everything on in the fuse panel. Additionally, when test with a meter, I am getting pwr to the accessory relay, but I am not getting power to the individual fuses in the panel.

What does work: ignition, front wipers, headlights,light behind the clock although not the clock.

I am at a real loss as to what is going on here. I just replace my alternator, and I assume I have a short but don't know where to start looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
  • Did you ever work out your electrical problem? I am having the exact same issue with my 93' PathSE Man 4x4.
  • rossphillips7rossphillips7 Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the information on the contact point for the Lift Gate sensor. I didn't have any manuals and was playing with the lift gate for a couple of hours before I went online and found your post.

I was able to wrap a rubber band around the D-shaped post to thicken it and finally after a few months don't have my interiors lights staying on unintentionally and draining my battery... THANKS!!!
  • quelzquelz Posts: 1
    I am having problems with my headlight, my driver side headlight does not go off after I turn the lights and ignition off. That was going on for a while now my headlights will not come on at all, but my taillights work fine. Could someone please help me. Thanks
  • I am back with more issues on my 05 Pathfinder. On post #173 I explained issues I was having with vehicle not starting. After much research, I finally gave in and replaced the IPDM which every forum I could get on said would fix the issue. After I was finally able to get a new IPDM (due to back order issues) my car was running in Jan. Now, at the end of October my vehicle is once again running rough and not enough power to get speed up.Is anyone else out there having the same problems? I would appreciate any help I can get!
  • frashfrash Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same problem with my alarm on my 02 pathfinder. Also had issues with the dome light coming on when taking off from a stop and fading out (all the time). I'm also having issues with my door locks - if i lock the car (while inside it, both with the vehicle running and off) sometimes the locks will engage and immediately disengage. This doesn't happen all of the time and sometimes I am able to lock them afterward without issues. Other times I can try to lock it 10 times and it will continue to unlock the doors.

Any solutions come through for the alarm? My neighbors in this apartment complex hate me I'm sure!
  • Okay, I have had several unusual issues with my Pathfinder that I suspect are electrical

1- From the RPM Gauge to the right it goes out once and a while
    2- When it is 34 Degrees Fahrenheit or less the left turn signal will not blink properly when I press the breaks
    3- The Emergency Flashers no longer flashes when unlocking it with the remote/ Emergency Flashers and Horn no longer flash and beep when locking.

As far as the third problem I have checked and double checked all doors to ensure they are closed to see if that is the problem and they are all secured.

My friend who is a Mechanic thinks it is a "sneak circuit" I am not sure. Any one seen these issues before.

Thanks

Cpl Orbinati :confuse:
    MAY 11, 2009 | Recall ID# 74354 Show Details

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
    DOPE, INC. IS RECALLING 42,540 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS....more details

MAY 11, 2009 | Recall ID# 74354 Hide Details

Recall Reason EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
    Recall Date MAY 11, 2009
    Model Affected PATHFINDER
    Potential Units Affected 42540

Recall SummaryDOPE, INC. IS RECALLING 42,540 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS.

ConsequenceDECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

RemedyDOPE, INC. WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER A FULL REFUND FOR THE NONCOMPLIANT COMBINATION LAMPS. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOPE, INC. AT 1-626-272-1798.

NotesDOPE, INC.

MAR 23, 2006 | Recall ID# 71587 Show Details

EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    CERTAIN PRO-A MOTORS CORNER LAMPS, TURN SIGNALS, AND HEADLIGHTS SOLD AS REPLACEMENT LAMPS FOR USE ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. SOME COMBINATION LAMPS THAT ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT....more details

MAR 23, 2006 | Recall ID# 71587 Hide Details

Recall Reason EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    Recall Date MAR 23, 2006
    Potential Units Affected 61944

Recall SummaryCERTAIN PRO-A MOTORS CORNER LAMPS, TURN SIGNALS, AND HEADLIGHTS SOLD AS REPLACEMENT LAMPS FOR USE ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. SOME COMBINATION LAMPS THAT ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.

ConsequenceWITHOUT THE AMBER REFLECTORS, THE VEHICLE WILL BE POORLY ILLUMINATED, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

RemedyPRO-A MOTORS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO REPURCHASE THE LAMPS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 3, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PRO-A MOTORS AT 323-838-2988.

NotesPRO-A MOTORS, INC.

SEP 18, 2007 | Recall ID# 50704 Show Details

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, DURING THE COATING PROCESS OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY, AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF COATING MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED AT THE LOWER MOUNTING BRACKET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN OPENING IN THE COATING WHICH CAN ALLOW WATER TO ENTER AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL OF THE TUBE. ...more details

SEP 18, 2007 | Recall ID# 50704 Hide Details

Recall Reason FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
    Recall Date SEP 18, 2007
    Potential Units Affected 372250

Recall SummaryON CERTAIN VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, DURING THE COATING PROCESS OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY, AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF COATING MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED AT THE LOWER MOUNTING BRACKET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN OPENING IN THE COATING WHICH CAN ALLOW WATER TO ENTER AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL OF THE TUBE.

ConsequenceTHIS MAY RESULT IN SURFACE RUST BUT NOT PERFORATION OF THE TUBE. HOWEVER, IN THOSE AREAS OF THE COUNTRY WHICH USE HEAVY CONCENTRATIONS OF ROAD SALT IN THE WINTER, IF A MIXTURE OF SNOW/WATER AND SALT MAKES CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL, CORROSION MAY OCCUR TO A DEGREE WHICH RESULTS IN PERFORATION OF THE TUBE. IN THIS CASE FUEL LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR WHEN FILLING THE TANK. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

RemedyDEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY WITH A NEW ONE WITH AN IMPROVED COATING PROCESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 26, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

NotesNISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

AUG 30, 2001 | Recall ID# 10268 Show Details

STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. SOME OF THE BRACKETS USED TO ATTACH THE TWO GAS STRUTS TO THE REAR DOOR (HATCH) MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MADE. AT HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES, THE INCREASE IN GAS PRESSURE IN THE STRUT(S) COULD CAUSE ONE OR BOTH BRACKETS TO BEND, RESULTING IN THE STRUTS DETACHING FROM THE BRACKET(S) WHEN OPENING OR CLOSING THE REAR DOOR....more details

AUG 30, 2001 | Recall ID# 10268 Hide Details

Recall Reason STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    Recall Date AUG 30, 2001
    Potential Units Affected 31000

Recall SummaryVEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. SOME OF THE BRACKETS USED TO ATTACH THE TWO GAS STRUTS TO THE REAR DOOR (HATCH) MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MADE. AT HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES, THE INCREASE IN GAS PRESSURE IN THE STRUT(S) COULD CAUSE ONE OR BOTH BRACKETS TO BEND, RESULTING IN THE STRUTS DETACHING FROM THE BRACKET(S) WHEN OPENING OR CLOSING THE REAR DOOR.

ConsequenceIF BOTH STRUTS DETACH FROM THE BRACKETS, THE DOOR WILL RAPIDLY FALL DOWN, POSSIBLY STRIKING SOMEONE AND CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY.

RemedyDEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STRUT BRACKETS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN SEPTEMBER 24, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

NotesNISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

APR 07, 2009 | Recall ID# 8721 Show Details

EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    SABERSPORT IS RECALLING 16,270 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED A