Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What car company has the best AWD system

bosi77bosi77 Posts: 37
Exactly what the title asks^ Also retains to Subaru AWD system and Audi AWD system.

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    bosi77,

Acura has the best AWD system bar none. Next topic ! ;)

Rocky
  • My title said it all. Jeep and Land Roverare the best when it comes to all wheel drive. Just because subaru advertises about how all of its vehicle have all wheel drive, that doesn't mean that its good. When it comes to off road, military climates, etc. Jeep and land Rover are the rulers.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    Acura has the best AWD system bar none

I would think owners of Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and BMW AWD cars would argue that point.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Most car companies pedelling AWD systems have several completely different systems, either at the same time or over time. The qualification for "Best" is also dependent on what you are looking for in the system: best for handling, best for snow road travel, best robustness and best for rock crawling all demand quite different systems.

Subaru has at least two different systems:
    (1) A viscous coupling system used on manual models; it's reactive, but is 50-50 when not locking up.
    (2) Clutch packs on automatic models; it's pro-active, but is 90-10 divide on most models when no wheel is about to slip.

Audi has used at least three different systems:
    (1) The models in the early years involved manual engaging locking . . . not recommended;
    (2) Torsen system with mechanically pro-active response, but heavy with the complex worm gear etc..
    (3) Haldex system on some if not all models in the last few years . . . lighter but robustness is yet to be long-term observed.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    if I'm going to go to the trouble of having AWD, I want it working all the time. Give me the 50/50 system of the Subarus (or the proactive 90/10 VDC) over any of the FWD systems that only engage the rear wheels when they detect slippage.

But Subarus don't get traction/stability control to go with their AWD unless you are spending a gazillion dollars.

NOW, in the gazillion dollar range, we have lots of good systems, although I still prefer the Audi Torsen, which again can be set up to run the wheels 50/50 all the time, or any of a number of other ratios if the manufacturer prefers.

As for trucks, I still prefer the old-school systems, but those are mostly going away in favor of electronics that decide too much stuff for you. The new Land/Range Rover systems really go over the top, with variable mapping for the throttle and suspension settings and all the rest of the mumbo-jumbo. They are nothing more than a ton of very expensive repairs waiting to ruin your day in the near future, and for what? These $50-75,000 trucks are never going anywhere but the mall anyway, and even if they did, they've got what - 35-series tires on $2000 18" alloy rims? I give those about a minute before the first puncture, and probable rim destruction at the same time.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

As for trucks, I still prefer the old-school systems

I agree with your whole assessment of 4X4/AWD systems. every new device that is added will be a repair bill. You can expect it to last at least 2 months past the warranty. Then get your wallet out. We had very little trouble with our 4X4 trucks until they added electronic activation of the hi/lo transfer case. And of course ABS is useless with 4 wheel drive. It may be different with continuous AWD. I have never owned one.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Actually the Land Rover ABS system takes into account different terrains and adjusts the ABS system accordingly.

ABS is only useless off-road if it doesn't know it is off-road. If the ABS computer has different braking algorithms for different surfaces then it does fine.

For example in sand mode the ABS system actually allows the brakes to lock up for a split second so that sand builds up in front of the tires and you stop sooner.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Subaru or Audi can claim best AWD systems by far. These two companies have been hard at work on this technology way longer than Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus..
    Honda's SH-AWD, is by far the most advanced in the world.

Rocky
    Honda's SH-AWD, is by far the most advanced in the world

Can you be more specific? Has it been used in racing vehicles and proven? I would have to drive it on glare ice to give an assessment for myself. I don't plan on being anywhere near icy conditions now that I am retired. I did my 37 years on ice and snow.
    It's been proven. Go to the acura site and see how it works. It's banned from racing like the quattro system of Audi's from what I understand ;)

Rocky
    Go to the acura site

Do you think Acura will give an objective performance rating? Has any of the car mags done a head to head comparison?
    gagrice,

Edmunds did a AWD comparo and the SH-AWD won by a landslide pal. How couldn't it ? The system doesn't just send power to the front or rear wheels, it also send torque to the outer wheels that need it most. This uniqueness is what makes it #1 and improves the handling of the vehicle. The RL has a 0.90 g's on the skidpad pal. ;)

Rocky
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Can you point us in the direction of this comparo?
    british,

I'll try to find it on inside line, hold on pal.

Rocky
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...just for sport sedans however, not SUV's.
  • dilldill Posts: 31
    I know this is probably going to get alot of negative responses. I read an article about a month ago that said of all the vehicles a particular publication had rated, they were most impressed by the AWD layout and system of the Buick Rendezvous. It was the only CUV/SUV out there that had a completely flat floorplan versus all the others. No hump means greater comfort and more space for the occupants.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Fred Flinstone's car has no hump in the middle, as well. I don't think that's the metric for "best AWD system" that I would use.