Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What car company has the best AWD system

1235»

Comments

• lch77lch77 Posts: 53
    My test was unscientific and I recognized that to be fair both cars should have the same tires, BUT if I bought either car, the tires tested would be the ones I got.

The Impreza did have the above mentioned RE92's (described as awful) but did make it up the hill anyway. Just for the fun of it, I tried the hill today with my 2002 A4 Quattro with Michelin Exalto Sport A/S tires. It rained last night so it was even muddier than it was yesterday To my surprise, the A4 did NOT make it up the hill either. It does have ASC which I left turned on. It does not have a differential lock like my 1990 Audi 200 Quattro did.

BTW, both the Subaru WRX and WRX STI come standard with high performance SUMMER tires. I think you'll see that everyone agrees that if you these tires in snow country, you MUST switch to either Snow or All Season tires in winter.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    Ah that would explain it. Although I am not in snow country, I am sure the grip leaves something to be desired in the rain.

I do have to wonder why an AWD "rally" style car would come with summer tires.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    I just bought my 2009 Outback last sunday. All Outbacks had potenza 92's on them. My Special Edition Outback comes with 17' alloys and the Potenzas are 92A rated 260 treadwear, traction A, temperature A. The base model Outbacks have 16" steel wheels and Potenzas rated at 360.

With 260 treadwear rating, I expect to be replacing these tires soon (my trade-in had Bridgestone Dueler Revos rated at 520). I haven't driven the Potenzas in any demanding conditions yet but the comments are not encouraging. Recommendations for replacements?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    I put Yokohama Avid T4's on my '97 22,000 miles ago. Sort of a medium priced all season tire.

Owners are kicking tires around over in the Subaru Outback/Legacy Tires and Wheels discussion.
  • Hey, check out this Youtube Subaru AWD comaprison...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

You would expect any AWD car to be able to move up the ramp if remove traction from the front wheels while the rear wheels have full traction, right? Well, in this test the Honda CR-V and Toyota Highlander were unable to do this. I thought that was a little shocking; if a CRV or Highlander is AWD, I would expect it to climb that wimpy incline if the rear wheels had 100% full traction.

This video was obviously put together by Subaru so they mainly tested manufactures that had inferior systems. I belive that Audi has really good AWD systems, and I think that they would be able to match what Subaru does in a test like this.

In any case, I certainly think that Subaru's AWD system is one of the best.
  • sam_ksam_k Posts: 113
    I've skimmed through the discussion and several people gave their vote to the Acura SH-AWD system. I'm curious how does the Infiniti system compare? I like the look and size of the Infiniti G37xS more than the Acura TL SH-AWD and Edmunds did the following comparison of the Acura TL SH-AWD and the RWD Infiniti G37 and they gave the nod to the Infiniti.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=135807

I wish they had compared the TL SH-AWD to the G37x, the more logical comparison.

So does anyone have any opinions on the Infiniti AWD system?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Holy smokes! After seeing that, the only AWD I will buy from now on is Subaru. (assuming I will never be in the market for one of the very expensive German AWD models, a fair assumption)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• lch77lch77 Posts: 53
    For what it's worth, I tested my A4 Quattro after the mud had dried up a little, and it made it up the hill. Note, while the new Audi's are overpriced, I've seen some good pricing on used and CPO Audi's. The CPO's can be purchased with special financing from Audi.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,677
    If Audi brings their A4 Allroad Quattro TDI to the USA, it will be #1 on my list. For me that would be nearly the perfect car. With the 2.0L TDI that should get over 40 MPG highway I would be a happy camper. I prefer the looks of the 2001-05 Allroad Quattro. I am keeping my eye out for a good buy on a low mileage one. I would be surprised if the Subaru AWD is as good as the Audi.
  • I think that companies are starting to make progress on AWD systems as time goes on. But one thing about the Subaru system is that it has been among the best for the longest time, with the same basic design that has worked for decades now with or without electronic nannies.

I have an older forester without any traction aides and I can tell you that it is still a great system, and consistently keeps the car pointed where you want it too!
  • I was very excited about torque vectoring when Honda introduced SH-AWD in 2004 and I thought it was coolest technology for cars. For couple of years, I considered Honda SH-AWD to be the best AWD ahead of Subaru and Audi even though I had never driven one. But about 3 years ago, I had an oppportunity to drive an Acura RDX and compare it with Subaru Forester driving up a dirt road. I discovered the Forester was much smoother and more efficient. There were times when Acura SH-AWD didn't have good traction and had to struggle and adjust. Now with more confidence and certainty than before, Subaru AWD is still the BEST AWD system in the world! Audi Quattro is second and not far behind is Acura SH-AWD. Here are couple of youtudes for you to enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRniF4JQN2U&feature=related
  • thesmdthesmd Posts: 1
    All people who have contributed to this thread are in love with their cars - and that is absolutely great, that is why we are all here on this forum.
    But I feel this discussion has taken many bad turns, like sport fans arguing about their teams, or soccer moms about their kids...
    There is no such thing as the best AWD system. A farmer in Idaho most likely needs a different type of AWD than a NewYorker in a rain, or a motorhead on a dry race cource.
    Many posters here have erroneously linked performance of an AWD system with the behavior of their vehicle during sharp turns. That is plain wrong. I know physics. The forces acting during a turn have nothing to do with the performance of an AWD system in the sense of preventing the car from skidding. Adding a tangential force to the centrifugal one most likely will decrease your chances of survival.
    AWD is all about movind a car FORWARD (or where you turn the wheels).
    I've had three Subaru Imprezas in the last 14 years. The best one was the oldest one, with viscous locking center differential. I could not stop myself from plain having fun with it in Lake Placid on all kinds of snow! Deep snow on grass, and downhill? You got it! Going back uphill? You bet! Compressed snow/ice on a parking lot in front of a restaurant? I put it into spins yet being sure it would not park itself inside that restaurant! And all that with just stock tires. If it had some Blizzaks on it, "it would probably be able to climb trees" - as one guy put it once.
    Later I had a WRX with electronically-controlled CD. It was OK but very hard to control on some 6" snow. My latest WRX got me home safely when I got stuck in traffic on a 4" snow and just EASILY crossed the boggy-ditchy median to get to the opposite (but free!) lane, leaving hundreds of cars behind. I had my evil laugh at all those Beemers, Merces and Lexuses I'd left behind... sorry!
    This year I quietly drove my wife's Honda CRV on 1" snow over asphalt, and had a feeling that the car was struggling to keep a straight line while wiggling side-to-side a few inches all the way. That CRV was OK in a pooring rain, though...

ALL I AM TRYING TO SAY: You guys - just go and test-drive all those different AWD systems, right where you live and the way you usually drive, and one of those systems shall be the best for you.
    Only don't do that on a sunny Summer day going 'round the block -- if you want to test an AWD :)
  • I've had 3 AWD vehicles. My first was a 03 Jaguar X Type 2.5. It did extremely well in bad weather. I swapped it for an 06 X Type 3.0. The car had more suds, but, Jag had modified the AWD system for more durability, but, the system didn't work as well as the 03's did. My current vehicle, a 2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic, appears to work very well. I took it out in a snow storm here earlier this Winter, and, it had no problem going anywhere I wanted in 6" of snow - including the big hill I have to climb to get to my house. It also handles heavy rain with no drama. Another nice feature - this little SUV is way quicker than either of the 2 X Types I had.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
1235»