Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Accessories

Comments

• hduck1hduck1 Posts: 19
    Actually looking for something permananet. Spoke with Ken. There is not complete cover yet. The should have something possibly in Sep. Where do you get the film?
    ...meant to say "no complete cover yet". Only the hood portion
  • rmozolrmozol Posts: 124
    I got it at Menards, but saw it at Home Depot too. It's called carpet protector. It has one sticky side, and is nice and thin. Cover what you want, when you want, and peel it off when you're done. Instant clean front end of bugs, chips, and dirt!
    thanks for the heads up on the bug advice!
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    Check out Bug Blocker at www.diamondite.com
    It is a liquid you apply like a wax, and leave it on. It is practically clear (does show a little). But it protects the front end from bugs and chips. I have used it a couple of times. Can't really say if it is effective to prevent chipping(so far we don't have any), but I find the bugs practically rinse off. I'm heading out on a family excursion next week and plan to use it. (We'll be driving several thousand miles in the VUE)
    So, I'll be able to report how it works with extended hwy driving.
  • tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    be very careful of the clear carpet protector stuff you mentioned...I use that all the time when painting inside my house. little pricey at $9 for 3x50' roll, but protecting against paint spills is priceless...especially on carpet.

however, it's some extremely strong stuff. If you had a chip in the paint, it could easily pull off a layer.

perhaps you've done it on the car before, but for me, I'll use blue masking tape like when I go to the track.
    if you're looking for the 3M clear bra material, you can just do google. key there isn't the material, it's finding a good installer. I have a friend in Dayton who has done like 5 of my past cars and a number of my friends.

I completely recommend the 3M stuff on all but white. white tends to show the color shift, but everthing else is great. Metallic paints are best.

email me if you have any questions. I have plenty of experience and photos if you would like more info. expect about $500 for a complete install. I did my mirrors and rockers too.
    Yeah I've had great expereince with the bra on the white GTPs. Rock digs on mirrors and a couple up the hood. The front is still showroom quality. Never had any paint fade issues on either car (or even the Taurus SHO I had prior to the GTPs). Ill check into the 3M material. It sounds interesting.
    The research on the 3M material is really interesting. I have a message in to an approved local applicator and will find out the details next week.
    I used the 3M kit on our 2001 Denali and was very satisfied. There is a edge/line with the film across the hood. It didn't really show because the D was dark green metallic and lines were quite square compared to the GXP. On white it might show a line and or have some dirt lodge at the edge(?).
    I was thinking about doing my GXP and googled a while back and found this. Because of the long slope of the hood on the GXP I decided against it...
    http://www.invisiblemask.com/
    I don't think it would be too bad on the hood of the GXP. I have some shots on my Last Honda Accord that I purposely took to make it show up and even in real life, the line wasn't noticable enough to make someone say ewhh....or anything. They often times asked what it was and rubbed it though :)

Your call though....here is one of the shots...

Overall though unless the lighting was right, you wouldn't notice it...especially on the front bumper...

How does the line from the mask do when the car is dirty? Does dirt ever get trapped in that line across the hood, or is a complete seal? Have you had it on for a long time? Have you noticed any yellowing or extreme color shift?

Sorry to make you out to be the Shell Answer Man, but the concept intrigues more and more.
  • dblducedblduce Posts: 58
    I read once somewhere that a good "remedy" to keeping bugs off the front of a car when going on long trips is to use COOKING SPRAY, like PAM, etc. Put a good coat on the front, and bugs wont be able to stick. Supposedly just easily washes off when you want it to also. Ive never tried it though, as I dont really take long distance trips.
    The lines from the mask are tight and very thin. It's a complete seal. Like 28lb laser printer paper..put a sheet on your car...that's how it feels.

The line doesn't attract dirt so when it rains or snows, it actually blends in completely. You may see it more if you don't wax it when you wax your car, but I always wax everything.

I've been using the 3M stuff since 2001. My Trailblazer is now in the hands of a nieghbor around my area and I see it a lot. Looks perfect still....and he's no clean freak like me.

The material won't yellow. I've not seen it do so...and again, I see my 03 Accord Sedan around town too. The owner is not that far away and still contacts me now and then with a question about it.

The key to the 3M stuff and the reason I don't like white is that it's not difficult to keep clean, but it's harder to clean than paint. Nothing special really, but occasionally I would let the car get real dirty and I'd spend 2x the time cleaning up the 3M stuff vs the same area without it.

Hope that helps. I still swear by it but just not for me on white.
    ...thanks. Much to ponder!
  • rmozolrmozol Posts: 124
    I've used cooking spray like Pam more than a few times and it works ok, but not great. It's hard to clean off sometimes, and gets tracked all over the rest of the car and collects dirt too. It changes it's "viscosity" a LOT in the heat, making it even worse. I'm still looking for the "Bug Off" to try it.
    go to:
    http://www.diamondite.com/
    I've been using the "Bug Blocker" on both the GXP & VUE. It goes on easy and washes right off. A 12 oz. bottle lasts a long time.
  • I recently purchased a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and have been looking for accessories. I am looking for chrome side vents and a chrome grille specifically. However, what I am finding is for everything but the GXP model. Does anyone know where I can look to find these accessories?
  • cbravo81cbravo81 Posts: 1
    I picked up these projector lights and was really surprised at the quality especially for the price.

http://www.neweggmall.com/Product/2001431130/product.html

In you experience, what are some other good brands and/or websites to find the best GP parts. Also, does anyone else have history of buying from this vendor?

Thanks for everyone's help!