Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Climate Control Questions

doug9doug9 Member Posts: 6
I bought a freon charging kit and charged the system. When I turn the A/C on I hear the compressor kick on. It blows out very hot air. The drivers side fan kicks on every couple of minutes. The passenger fan isn't on. The wires from the driver fan looks like they go to the compressor unit, so I figured the other fan was for the car cooling. I am not sure. Anyhow, I am looking for advice on what I could check. Why after charging the system is it blowing out very very hot air? Thank you for answers.

Comments

• mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Even if your A/C isn't working, if you have the temp lever set to the coldest setting, you should get air the same temp (or close to) the same temp as the outside air temp.

The lever for the hot-cold control opens and closes a valve on the heater lines. If that valve isn't closing off, your basically running the heater the same time your trying to run the A/C.

Trace the heater lines, usually by the firewall, you will find the inline valve. Make sure the lever on it is moving when you move the hot-cold lever.

The second cooling fan only runs when the A/C compressor is running. I would visually look at the compressor to verify it is actually running (center is spinning).

Mrbill
  • doug9doug9 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the great advice. I started to switch the knob to change it from hot to cold and try to listen for the valve to open or close. So for some reason I decided to take the knob off. Low and behold and simple problem. The inside of the knob was broken and not actually turning the switch. I got some pliers and turned it from hot to cold and the air was cold as could be then. And all this first part of summer we have been driving with the windows down suffering in the heat. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Have a great summer. :)
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    This switch breaks a lot on this age of Hondas.
  • nedbrodnedbrod Member Posts: 2
    The AC in my 1994 Accord works fine but my problem is the throttle does not kick up when the AC is turned on. I am unable to locate what is called the AC idle boost valve. Are they talking about the adjustment screw on the throttle body? I have already reset the ECU but this had no effect. The real problem is that with out the idle boost operating the car stalls when stopping. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yep, my 1996 is on knob #4, and not with heavy use, mind you. They charged me for the first one, but haven't since then (for 3 and 4).
  • jtmathewjtmathew Member Posts: 3
    I've heard the AC compressor can go out because of insufficient protection around the compressor.

Has anyone had this issue or found a way to fix it?

Thanks!
  • pilotmrjungpilotmrjung Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 honda accord ex. After I tuned up my car at the repair shop, I'm having a difficult with climate control system. climate control board power light and effection (On/Off) is not steady. sometimes it goes on and off. and sometimes climate control power doesn't go off even I turned off engine and pulled out key. I want to know nature of this problem. Please provide me a solution for this issue. Thank you!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The temperature knobs break because the cable will not move (binds up) as fast as you can turn the knob. Try this: turn the temperature knob only until you feel resistance (usually about half way), wait a few seconds, the cable will loosen, then you can turn it the rest of the way. I went through a few knobs before I figured this out too.
  • simpledizzysimpledizzy Member Posts: 1
    Please help me settle a bet with my stubborn boyfriend. Does the a/c need to stay on while I'm using the heat in the car? Example: It's winter & as I use the heat in the car I press the a/c button to turn it off because I thought it was only needed when the a/c "cooling" system is being used, like in the summer. He believes it is needed for both cooling & heating systems. Who is correct & why?
    The only time I put the AC on when heating, is if the windows are fogging. The AC will more quickly de-fog the windows. Then I turn the AC back off.
    Elroy is correct. You may run the heat as long as you want to WITHOUT the A/C engaged. I do this most of the time in the winter, because it saves fuel. Running the A/C when the windows aren't fogging is unnecessary, and will drop your fuel economy. When you press the defrost/defog options on the climate control settings, the A/C engages automatically, because it is A/C is needed to remove fog from windows. Otherwise, don't run the A/C until you need air that is cooler than the exterior temperature.

The heat comes off of the engine's heater core, and has nothing to do with the A/C compressor being engaged.

Short version: You are correct, A/C is not needed to run the heat.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay, so tell us what you won! ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well Pat, if simpledizzy will look just behind that curtain......OOOOOOHHHHHH...that's right...a complete set of jersey cow slip covers from Crassco, the "car people".....congratulations!
  • mumshondamumshonda Member Posts: 3
    The climate control in my 1995 Accord is intermittently completely dead. By this I mean that nothing at all lights up on the temperature display or the buttons when the key is turned on, then after a while (10-20 mins) it magically bursts into life. When it is working, it works perfectly. I have checked all the fuses and all are OK and seated correctly. The car is 100% standard, with no mods at all. If anyone can help me with a wiring diagram that would be very useful in tracing the fault, or if anyone has experienced this before and knows what it is, all help greatly appreciated.
    I don't know how to solve your problem, but I do have a question for you. Does the 95 Accord have a temperature display (auto climate control)? :confuse:
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I had a '96 Accord. After the car got totaled, I fished out the owner's manual and kept it. It references only a manual heating-A/C unit, regardless of trim level.
    I guess he was talking about the temperature control knob????? since there is no temp. display. :confuse:
    Yes it does have a temp display and a control knob. You dial up the temp you want on the display using the control knob and the system either heats or cools to that temperature. The model is a 2.2 VTI-S - not sure if that makes a difference or not. The problem appears like it's a bad electrical connection to whatever control unit controls the air con
    This auto climate control came as stock equipment on a 95 Accord? :confuse:
    Sure did. This was a top of the line Accord at the time. Do you know where I might find a wiring diagram?
    Unless you can find one on the internet, a service manual is all I can suggest. You may be able to find a used one somewhere (ebay). Or some people have seen them at the local library. Good luck
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    What country are you in?
  • maich75maich75 Member Posts: 10
    Hi I have just joined the forum. I have a 2.2l SiR Accord that has the same problem with my climate control system. It comes on when its very hot, but only for a while then goes of. The display doesn't stay on or allow me to control it manual. As soon as I hit the A/C button, the thing goes off. I have tried disconnecting the black & grey plugs at the back of the control unit. The fan works permanently when the grey plug is disconnected, then goes of when I reconnect it. I was wondering if there is an internal temperature sensor which reads the internal temperature of the car and therefore regulates the climate control functions accordingly. Have you resolved the problem with yours and what is the solution? Please somebody help, I have a 1 month old baby and summers in London are very hot now so its no terrible hot in the car even with the windows open. Thanks.
    Hi, I am having the same problem as you with my 2.2i VTEC SiR. What solution did you find. Please help me out, I haven't found anyone one with an answer here in the U.K and am afraid of being ripped off. So far I have spent days waiting in garages and getting a 'no we do know what is wrong'.
    If no one here can help you, why don't you also post in the Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars discussion. As you can see, it's not restricted to any one vehicle, but there may be someone there who can help.

Good luck - let us know!
    Hi, did you ever fix the problem with your climate control. If you did, please share the solution. I have the exact problem you. Thanks.
    Maich75, did you see my reply to you? It's at this link in case you missed it: pat, "Honda Accord Climate Control Questions" #27, 12 Jun 2007 4:57 am.

I gave you a suggestion of where else to ask for help with this. :)
    I saw your reply and did as you suggested. Sorry I thought I was dealing with two different people. So, what did you do about your problem? I am booked in at a local Honda Dealer for a half hour computer diagonistics. I hope they find and cure the problem. Thanks for your help.
    I don't have an Accord, I'm just the host. :)

Good luck at the dealer - let us know what happens.

P.S. I did have an 89 Accord that I loved. Never one thing wrong with it in ten years! :D
    Hi mumshonda, did you ever solve the problem with your Honda's Climate control. I have the exact problem you had. Did you find a solution and you did, would you mind to share it with me so I can have mine fixed. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.
    I thought you were mumshonda. Mumshonda had the same problem, he might have some answers for me. Lets hope he responds soon.
  • dmamsquareddmamsquared Member Posts: 19
    We have 2 Japanese vehicles. Other is Toyota Highlander. Recenttly, my husband made the statement that the Accord A/C no longer was forceful (used to blow me out of here). He keeps on auto. The fan kicks in only after he reduces to 58 degrees. He says there is something wrong. Dealership begs to differ. I said just test-drive 07 to see what happens. The Highlander's blower is very audible on automatic, especially if it is 80 degrees or hotter outside. Our past accords had audible blowers. Could you comment. Are we confused or should we not be hearing the blower activate in the accord? Thanks
    The blower on the current Accord is definitely not loud. If you have the radio on, you probably will not hear it at all.
    The fan will run slowly as long as the setpoint is relatively near the actual temperature in the car. When the car heats up when not running, and you start the car up. the fan will increase in speed until the car starts to cool. During the winter, the fan will delay it's startup until the car is warm enough to provide heat. You should also notice when the car is very hot inside and you first start the car, the AUTO system will turn the mode to Recirculate for a while, then switch to normal once the car cools down.

What your finding is exactly what my 04 EX-L Navi does. Sometimes I do wish the fan ran a little faster just to provide more fresh air when the temp has reached the setpoint. I can manually speed up the fan, but I have to manually switch it back to auto when I feel it's better inside.

Mrbill
    I can manually speed up the fan, but I have to manually switch it back to auto when I feel it's better inside.

I just turn the temperature down (in auto mode) until it's comfortable. That's the great thing about auto climate control, there's only one knob to turn (temperature knob), and it's also the closest knob to me. The only time I'm not on auto, is when I need to de-fog the windows. I thought that was the whole idea behind "auto climate control", to make it easier.
    I agree, but my complaint occurs when the outside, inside, and setpoint are all at the same temp. The car can feel real muggy if it's humid outside, but the AUTO mode may not be running the A/C (for dehumidification purposes only) since it's at setpoint. I either have to turn the temp down to get the A/C to kick in, or manually turn up the fan to make it feel more comfortable. The AUTO system needs an RH sensor with a dehumidification mode, without changing the temp.

HVAC systems do that in buildings, and home owners do it to lower the RH in their homes, why not do that in autos also? I don't see it adding much at all to the complexity of the system in a car.

Gees, I wonder if I could patent that idea??

Mrbill
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I've owned a 2002 Accord and now a 2006 Ridgeline. Both had/have automatic climate control.

Honda makes great cars.

But, no manufactor (ok, I don't know about Rolls, Jag, other high dollar cars) can touch General Motor's automatic climate control system. I live where it gets HOT! You fire a GM up, it's sensors say 'It's hot in here and I'm going to do something about it!' and the systems turns the blower up to max, and it cools the car down. And drops back to maintain a preset temperature. My Honda seem to say 'Oh,
    gee, I'm going to run just about like I was running when I was turned off the last time...'. And you either have to turn the temp control down a lot or the blower speed up.

Buy a Cadillac. Get cool.

Buy a Honda. No need to fix it.
  • aorblaorbl Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that several Honda owners are having the same issue with their Honda's A/C and I am. The dashboard lights go out when my A/C decides to stop working. After several miles it will come back all it's own.
    IF anyone has any information, please share.
    thank you in advance.
    bill
    This could be a weak battery problem. My weak battery was causing my shift position lights to not light. When this would occur, the A/C would not blow cold air. Changed the battery, and all is back to normal. Believe it, or not. Go to Autozone (or somewhere else), and have the battery tested.
  • accord_driveraccord_driver Member Posts: 1
    My honda accord HVAC indicator lights periodically go out and only the blower works (ie. the air stops being cooled or heated). Turning off the car and restarting it sometimes solves the problem but not always. Any idea why this is happening?
    This happened to my 03 Accord. My A/C would not blow cold air, and it only happened when the shift position lights on the dash would not light up for any position but park. Turned out to be a weak battery, so you might want to get it tested (autozone tests them for free).
  • gobeo56gobeo56 Member Posts: 1
    I dont have the automatic climate controls just the regular 2 nobs and 8 buttons its a 99 4 door accord ex, all lights work but the indicator lights telling you which options(buttons) are selected, can not get the a/c to blow cold or hot cant switch from face to feet or use the rear defroster but when i turn on the head lights all inside lights work including the clock, i took out the climate control panel and check the circuit board no bad traces or blown components, any ideas?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Now that fall is here there may be times when you want to blow warm air on the windshield/windows, but don't need the A/C running. Here is a quick hack that will allow your 2003+ Honda to give you more control over your A/C without losing any functionality. It allows you to turn off the A/C while the defog is selected.

I have done the hack and it works well.

1) With vehicle on, push the airflow button for "top vent".
    2) Shut car off.
    3) Turn temp knob to the coldest setting
    4) Turn fan off
    5) How down both "Air Recirculation" button and "AC" button. With both buttons depressed, turn key to "ON" position. (don't need to actually start the car) Keep holding the buttons down for at least 7 seconds.
    6) The AC and Air Recirculation lights will light up and flash at different points during the 7 second hold-down.
    7) When the air recirculation light stops flashing, release the two buttons.

Now you have full control over the AC. When you hit the Defog button, the AC light will now illuminate. You can now shut it off if you so desire and get Defog air without AC!
    Thanks! Works like a charm. :)
  • riffraffriffraff Member Posts: 6
    i have the same issue with my 1999 honda accord coupe LX-V6. the climate control panel was blinking on and off for the past year, but now nothing... it's all dead. fans are the only thing that works in terms of climate control... no panel lights or controls??? also, as elroy posted here, my " floor shifter lights " are dead too... the park, reverse and drive lights on the shifter went out about three years ago. also, my cruise control " ON " panel light indicator does not light up. i'm going to have the battery tested this weekend as suggested here online, but i don't think that that's the issue b/c everything else works... however, little by little the electrical functions are failing, so maybe that's what's up. if anyone has any additional information on this issue, please let me know. i would sorely appreciate it. post here or feel free to email me @ " [email protected] " ;)
  • thai1thai1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Coupe and noticed that everytime I turn on the fan in my car it seems like the a/c is coming on, is this normal? Am I going to have to press the a/c button each time I turn on the fan to turn the a/c off? I thought that the only time the a/c is on is if the display shows "A/C On" but is it on when the display doesn't say "on" or "off"? Basically, since it is cool these days I want to be able to turn on just my fan without the a/c coming on.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Sounds like an issue with the circuit board, even if it may not be visible on the surface.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Were 2003-2007 Accords different than previous generation(s) in that regard? In my 1998, AC can be turned off, while defog is selected (it will turn on everytime defog is selected but can be overridden).
    I'm assuming you have auto climate control (you never said). If you press "Auto", then the A/C will run the majority of the time. Simply select A/C OFF on the display (by pushing the A/C button) and it will not use the compressor. I tried this today in my aunt's Odyssey which I used for the day. I noticed that within 3 minutes my windows were fogging up though, so AUTO was the way to go (it was 48 degrees so I typically wouldn't run the A/C either). I had the temp set on 70.
    Yes, from factory you couldn't override the A/C coming on, even if no indicator light was lit for A/C, the compressor was still on for 03-07. The override fixes that though.