Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Climate Control Questions

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    This happened to my 03 Accord. My A/C would not blow cold air, and it only happened when the shift position lights on the dash would not light up for any position but park. Turned out to be a weak battery, so you might want to get it tested (autozone tests them for free).
  • I dont have the automatic climate controls just the regular 2 nobs and 8 buttons its a 99 4 door accord ex, all lights work but the indicator lights telling you which options(buttons) are selected, can not get the a/c to blow cold or hot cant switch from face to feet or use the rear defroster but when i turn on the head lights all inside lights work including the clock, i took out the climate control panel and check the circuit board no bad traces or blown components, any ideas?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Now that fall is here there may be times when you want to blow warm air on the windshield/windows, but don't need the A/C running. Here is a quick hack that will allow your 2003+ Honda to give you more control over your A/C without losing any functionality. It allows you to turn off the A/C while the defog is selected.

I have done the hack and it works well.

1) With vehicle on, push the airflow button for "top vent".
    2) Shut car off.
    3) Turn temp knob to the coldest setting
    4) Turn fan off
    5) How down both "Air Recirculation" button and "AC" button. With both buttons depressed, turn key to "ON" position. (don't need to actually start the car) Keep holding the buttons down for at least 7 seconds.
    6) The AC and Air Recirculation lights will light up and flash at different points during the 7 second hold-down.
    7) When the air recirculation light stops flashing, release the two buttons.

Now you have full control over the AC. When you hit the Defog button, the AC light will now illuminate. You can now shut it off if you so desire and get Defog air without AC!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Thanks! Works like a charm. :)
  • i have the same issue with my 1999 honda accord coupe LX-V6. the climate control panel was blinking on and off for the past year, but now nothing... it's all dead. fans are the only thing that works in terms of climate control... no panel lights or controls??? also, as elroy posted here, my " floor shifter lights " are dead too... the park, reverse and drive lights on the shifter went out about three years ago. also, my cruise control " ON " panel light indicator does not light up. i'm going to have the battery tested this weekend as suggested here online, but i don't think that that's the issue b/c everything else works... however, little by little the electrical functions are failing, so maybe that's what's up. if anyone has any additional information on this issue, please let me know. i would sorely appreciate it. post here or feel free to email me @ " emailkenny@msn.com " ;)
  • thai1thai1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Coupe and noticed that everytime I turn on the fan in my car it seems like the a/c is coming on, is this normal? Am I going to have to press the a/c button each time I turn on the fan to turn the a/c off? I thought that the only time the a/c is on is if the display shows "A/C On" but is it on when the display doesn't say "on" or "off"? Basically, since it is cool these days I want to be able to turn on just my fan without the a/c coming on.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Sounds like an issue with the circuit board, even if it may not be visible on the surface.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Were 2003-2007 Accords different than previous generation(s) in that regard? In my 1998, AC can be turned off, while defog is selected (it will turn on everytime defog is selected but can be overridden).
    I'm assuming you have auto climate control (you never said). If you press "Auto", then the A/C will run the majority of the time. Simply select A/C OFF on the display (by pushing the A/C button) and it will not use the compressor. I tried this today in my aunt's Odyssey which I used for the day. I noticed that within 3 minutes my windows were fogging up though, so AUTO was the way to go (it was 48 degrees so I typically wouldn't run the A/C either). I had the temp set on 70.
    Yes, from factory you couldn't override the A/C coming on, even if no indicator light was lit for A/C, the compressor was still on for 03-07. The override fixes that though.
  • thanks for the reply " robertsmx ". man, i hadn't checked back here since i posted my issue. i didn't receive an alert that anyone had responded to my particular issue. i did get an alert for the latest issue posted here. nonetheless, as you posted, for my particular issue, the heater and A/C control panel circuit board was the problem. i bought one from the local junk-yard for " fiddy " bucks and installed it myself. so " game over " 99' honda accord heater and A/C control panel ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just fyi, the email alert comes when any new post is added to the discussion, not just for a response to your post.
  • As the title suggests thanks for responding. I was constantly in a state of OMG what is wrong because I kept getting the impression that these were normal commuting numbers for everybody. My car consistantly gets 27 and I thought there was something strange. Guess not.

Although with winter approaching and the defrosters going I expect the numbers to go down, especially since when the defrosters are on not only is it taking heat off the engine, which I've heard is bad for mileage, but also the A/C is on and running the compressor, which I've heard mixed responses on.

So again thanks.
    tankbeans,

Dudley posted this earlier, and I assume he'd be okay with me pasting it on here. If you'd like to use the defroster WITHOUT running the A/C (as when just de-icing the windshield), here are the steps to allow you manual control of the A/C when the defrost choice is selected. Stock, you cannot manually turn off the A/C when the vents are set on defrost. The compressor will keep running, even though the light turns off. Using this "hack," YOU control the A/C.

1) With vehicle on, push the airflow button for "top vent".
    2) Shut car off.
    3) Turn temp knob to the coldest setting
    4) Turn fan off
    5) How down both "Air Recirculation" button and "AC" button. With both buttons depressed, turn key to "ON" position. (don't need to actually start the car) Keep holding the buttons down for at least 7 seconds.
    6) The AC and Air Recirculation lights will light up and flash at different points during the 7 second hold-down.
    7) When the air recirculation light stops flashing, release the two buttons.

Now you have full control over the AC. When you hit the Defog button, the AC light will now illuminate. You can now shut it off if you so desire and get Defog air without AC!

Thanks again dudleyr!
  • Does this have to be re-done periodically and does the car automatically reset to the factory option as soon as it's shut off? Are there any negative consequences to performing this little "hack," as you called it?
    Both answers are a definitive 'NO' to the best of my knowledge.

The A/C still automatically comes on when you select defrost. The only difference is that this time the A/C light comes on, and you have the option of turning it off.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    I have been running the a/c 'hack' for several months with no issues. Not only does the car stay hacked, it even remembers that the a/c is off. I usually run with foot/defog most of the winter, and dont have to worry about the a/c coming on when it is above freeziing.

What prompted this was 3.5 hour trip in the rain at 50 degrees. The a/c ran the whole time, when at that temp, and for that distance the heat/defog would have been fine.

Keep in mind that the rest of the world is more frugal with gas than us. They would not stand for loss of control over the a/c. All we have done is make the car like most foreign Accords.

Grad - no problem reposting, the more that know the better. I did not discover this just dug it up from some older posts.
  • Can you restore the factory settings if at any point you want to or do you need to disconnect the battery? I just want to make sure because that might have a small effect on resale value. Otherwise, I'll do it simply because I've never had a car with A/C on no matter what when the defog is on.

Don't mean to ask so many questions.
    Can you restore the factory settings if at any point you want to or do you need to disconnect the battery? I just want to make sure because that might have a small effect on resale value. Otherwise, I'll do it simply because I've never had a car with A/C on no matter what when the defog is on.

Don't mean to ask so many questions.

Hey buddy, how else can you learn other than by asking? Don't sweat it, and ask away.

I believe a battery disconnect/reconnect should do the trick, although honestly, I can't say for sure. Dudleyr, can you field this one?
  • I think I finally figured it out, but I do have a question. When you say that the car 'remembers' that the A/C is off when you shut down the car do you also mean that it remembers when you choose a different ventiliation method (i.e. top vent, foot vent, mix vent)?

In other words if you turn on the defrost and shut off the A/C, then switch it to just top vent, then go back to defrost, does it also remember that the A/C is off then? Should it essentially act like my 95 did when I turned on the defrost and had to use A/C to dry the air?

Sorry if this is confusing. Sometimes I have trouble explaining myself.

If this is how it should work, then thanks for the tips. If this is way off, thank you anyway for trying to help. User error is common here. :)