Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB Engine Problems

Comments

• slamonslamon Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 xb and had a sunroof put in. I noticed when driving it especially around 30 miles an hour that it sounds like a helicopter is in the car. Very booming and loud. If I crack my side window it goes away. Has anyone else had a sunroof put in. I told the company that put it in about it and they said as far as they know they are the first ones in Missouri to put in a sunroof on a xb so they don't know why it's doing this. Thanks
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    The transmission has a feature where it downshifts when coasting down a hill, to help the brakes. Keeping a foot on the accelerator when coasting confuses the transmission and causes a bad upshift.
  • That's normal. Ditto what they said, you have to crack a window to correct it.
    Hey thanks for the info from you and the person that answered after you.!! I have another problem. My XB is at the sunroof installer as we speak because of the shade rattling when the sun roof is open. Otherwise I love the sunroof. To me it's worth every penny. They said they would make it right so I'm crossing my fingers.
  • I bought a new 2008 XB from a dealer on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh. Less than 2 months after I bought it the engine died and had to be replaced! I had complained about a noise in the engine but was told I was ok as long as the service engine light didn't come on. Supposedly the balance shaft broke sending metal pieces into the crankshaft preventing oil from getting to the engine. I demanded a new car but I was told the engine is a part and parts are covered by Toyota's warranty. Now I'm hearing the noise again. I thought this would be my best car ever but I am very unhappy and disappointed with Toyota. According to Consumer Reports, Toyota's quality this year has gone down. With what we pay for cars, I think after only two months I should have had the car replaced. If you're thinking of buying one, think long and hard about it. I would NOT do it over again.
    Yikes! I don't blame you for wanting a new car. However, the BBB will tell you the problem must be attempted 3 times to be repaired before a new car will be awarded. I know this thru experience. I have a problem with the smell of antifeeze when I get out of the car. The Scion dealer ran a leak check and didn't find anything. The dealer also said if the light doesn't come on everything is fine because the engine is so sophisticated. Good luck to both of us.
  • Just now at 1k miles, started looking for the main engine oil filter.
    Have a 2008 xb scion. Question:
    where is it; lower engine block, or is the filter remote from the engine block.
    Thanks in advance.
  • I've had my 2008 XB since August and I have smelled that anti-freeze smell since i got it. I've had it back to the dealer twice and they look at me like I'm crazy and tell me they don't smell it. No joking it is a strong anti-freeze smell and they will not fix it because everything appears fine and they deny they even smell it. I called Scion and they told me I'm the only one to ever report the problem. It gets stronger the longer you drive it. I don't know what to do about it. Also just had to put out $300.00 for new front brakes and re surfacing of the rotors. Scion told me that it was "normal" wear. I am very unhappy with this model. I had an 06 model which got totaled in an accident and the 08 is crap compared to that one. I'm afraid to drive it because I'm worried it is going to leave me stranded somewhere!
  • 3 months is a really short period of time for a break job. Sounds like something was wrong from the beginning.
  • I have a 2008. Its been in the dealer 6 times. Auto trans is problem. Scion green team tech has been scrambling to avoid a HUGE tech issue with car! Clunk in trans due to design. Loosens as mileage racks up (11,041). Clunks in downshifting lots of play. Dealer authorized new axles. Did not fix problem. Dealer tried again because they could not get rid of problem. Scion world headquarters has case file opened and scion techs and design team were sent in. They had car all day. They found that this car has no problems. The dealer disagrees. It is being talked about that there is a very big problem with the autos. They have had many complaints. Im going to get this fixed or never buy a toyota product again. Ive own them all my life.
  • I have a 2008. Its been in the dealer 6 times. Auto trans is problem. Scion green team tech has been scrambling to avoid a HUGE tech issue with car! Clunk in trans due to design. Loosens as mileage racks up (11,041). Clunks in downshifting lots of play. Dealer authorized new axles. Did not fix problem. Dealer tried again because they could not get rid of problem. Scion world headquarters has case file opened and scion techs and design team were sent in. They had car all day. They found that this car has no problems. The dealer disagrees. It is being talked about that there is a very big problem with the autos. They have had many complaints. Im going to get this fixed or never buy a toyota product again. Ive own them all my life.
  • Many complaints on this!!! Its a weekly problem at the dealership. They do know about it but you wont find them addressing it. My trans is bad.
  • It appears that Toyota is now too big. They are going to take the General Motors
    Trophy for producing the most Junk. The customer is never right. They already have your money, just go away. It can be repaired, but why would they.
  • Keep us posted if this problem gets fixed or not, I have put off my purchase just to see how many problems or if a consistant one appears over the next few months.
  • hootshoots Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Hope your problem has been resolved.
    I have an 08 purchased in September with 9000 miles.
    Yesturday I went to start it and it "wouldn't fire".
    Followed the "flooded" starting directions and it would not start, the starter just kept turning over with no apparent "spark."
    After towing to the dealership, they claim one of their mechanics started it right up, and it must have been flooded. I was shocked, I've tried to start a flooded vehicle before and it never just turned the starter with no attempt to spark.
    Hoots
  • Hello,
    Sounds like you have to be a Toyota mechanic to start an xB. Scion sales will
    drop to zero after all of the mechanics buy one..
    You just caught Toyota in their 1st lie. Very Sad. David
  • br2120br2120 Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 scion xb at 500 miles its stated having a popping noise in the transmission area .Very hard down hard down shift .I have taken the car to the dealer 3 times allready .My next appoiment is 1-08 .I have contacted scon world wide and have 2 cases numbers .But no one can find or fix it .its starting to get very old fast.
  • I purchased my scion xb in qct 2007, I have had it to the dealer 5 or6 time. Rough down shift is all they can tell me ,a characist of the car. Well the noise did not start till 500 mile .So far i have had litte or no help. I have only 6000 miles on the car iamso dissatified that i was going to buy a new xb . They told me they would trade my car and $5200.00 ,That ment they were only giving me 10,000.00 credit on a car which i purchased from them only 6000 mile ago . What an insult!!!
    The dealer is in Bristol Tennessee.And Scion tech's were no help either.