Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• kero1kero1 Posts: 154
    Your hesitation is most likely due to DBW or drive by wire, it's a known issue with other makes that with drive by wire setups, there is always a slight delay between when you hit the gas peddle and when the car reacts. Just the nature of the beast.

Funny, I traded my 06 civic and never looked back.

My wife has a 05 corolla LE and it has been the definition of what a car should be. Not one problem since day one, 20K later, nothing but reliable service, smooth ride, super gas mileage etc.

Of course it's not my style but her corolla ran circles around my 06 civic other than in the looks department.

My only grip with her corolla was the OEM tires suck and always have on the corllas for many years but they will be replaced shortly.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Also find this slight lag annoying but have found that if one positions the foot just right, it minimizes the lag effect. At least this has been working for me. Besides this, this is the best car I have owned...EVER! It fits me like a glove and when I hit the gas, the power feels seemless up the power band. Sweet sounding engine to.
    Having owned 4 Toyotas previously, Camry's & Corolla's, can honestly say this is the best I've ever owned. Since I added Honda rims, have gotten almost a dozen compliments on how good the car looks, one even from a Mercedes driver.
    16 months and still one happy pwner!

The Sandman :)
  • Yup, I have noticed this too. A tad bit annoying :-(
  • I have an 06 civic with 42000 miles. i noticed my paint was beginning to crack on the hood and fenders about a month ago.
    I brought the car to my local dealer,not the dealer i bought from. They thought the car may have been painted and to take the car back to dealer i bought from. Long story short, my car was in a rear accident, i had the bumper replaced. but because my car show up in car fax being in a accident, the service basically accused me of lying. I contacted honda usa to get the process going. i met with a factory rep recently and they agreed to pain the hood and fenders, but not the bumper or any blending. i owe 9000 on the car, and i don't really feel it's fair to have brand new car with a bad paint job because honda has quality control issues. anybody with the same problems should bring a class action lawsuit against honda.
  • :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: My wife and I purchased a new 2006 Honda Civic (from Ken Garff Honda Downtown Salt Lake, UT) and now have 36,000 miles on it. Now, the first time we had problems was when the cd player stopped playing cds intermittantly and it would even happen with brand new just opened disks (not just old ones). We had it replaced and it was fine for about 3 months and we had the same problem again, so it was again replaced. We had the engine replaced (the first time) when it overheated from a "porous water jacket" at 29,300 miles. 5,000 miles later the engine is replaced again for an oil leak, so now we're on our third engine. Roughly 500 miles later the left front strut had to be replaced as well as both sun visors (due to the plastic pieces where the hinges attach to the roof cracked, maybe due to heat, but they would not close). Now, roughly 600 miles later, our Civic is yet again at the dealership for a check engine light that they are saying is "fuel related" and that parts are on order. It's been there 5 days now, and thats all they've told us. Our service advisor always seems to be out. Everything that has been done has been covered under warranty and they've provided rental cars, but at what point is enough's enough? We live in Utah and the lemon laws are pretty rough. I've contacted Honda and they're sending it to a "case worker" to be reviewed, but I'm not going to take an extended warranty and call it good. Would you after dropping a considerable down on the car and making your monthly payments for the past two years and all this has happened within 36,000 miles? We need help and are not sure what to do. Typically, Hondas are supposed to be reliable, but how can so much go wrong with one NEW car?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Fact of life; every manufacturer builds a lemon every now and again, Honda, Lexus, Toyota and Subaru included. Probably your best bet would be to contact a lemon law attorney in your state and get some legal advice.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Sorry to hear about all the problems with your.

Even though you problems were much worse than mine, my car had many things wrong that were replaced under warranty but at 16K, I had enough and was worried about the future problems after the warranty ran out.

I simply traded even though I loved the car despite it's problems. I did not feel confident with keeping it long term.

If a car becomes a big headache, I feel it should be traded as life has so many other things to worry about, why should a car be one of them.

I hope you get everything resolved.

I traded back to Subaru (had a 05 that was hit pretty bad) and their cars for the most part are super rock solid and super safe. I took a big hit on my 06 CIVIC LX sedan since I owed much more than it was worth but it was worth getting rid of the daily annoyances that I was experiencing.

At 16K the car (no damage or accidents, not even a single ding) lost a ton of money over the 2 years I owned it.

The place I traded (I know them well and they are honest) advised me people are trading their 06 civic like crazy because they are not happy with them. He said he did not want anymore after mine since selling them on the lot or at auction is a pain since they are so many.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Posts: 138
    I've always heard that most lemon laws require the same item has to be replaced 3 times without success and then you can file a claim. I'd think you've reached that point. :lemon:
  • I feel for you on this issue. "I HAVE GOOD NEWS"
    I also purchased a 2006 Civic and I also had several problems. If you have 3 returns to the dealer in Alabama for the same problem they are required to buy the car back for the original purchase price under the LEMON LAW.

I simply arbitrated it through the Better Business Bureau and had a 1 hour hearing. I took the car back and was paid back for all the payments with interest and they took the car and also paid aff the lawn.

Sorry, but there is a procedure that you have to do but the BBB will have to help you with that. It is a free service also. Costed me nothing to do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Ok so I got a reply from the Honda rep and to make a long long story short. There is nothing they can do. He talked to a tech from Honda's tech-line and he is also aware of the issue but just says he just warms it up first. Who knows if this person is just blowing smoke. It's not an extreme case you are qualified for Lemon Law if an issue is looked at 4 times and no resolution can be found, but I would advise you to report this to Honda so they know other customers out there are experiencing the same problem.

Lemon Law Resource:
    http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

E.g. for the state of Rhode Island:
    "The Rhode Island Lemon Law applies to new cars, vans, motorcycles or trucks (under 10,000 lbs) sold, leased or registered in Rhode Island, that suffer a nonconformity; a defect or condition that cannot be repaired after four attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This defect must substantially impair the vehicle's use, value or safety, and must first occur within the first 12 months or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. The RI Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days during the first year."

Take it easy.
  • nealmnealm Posts: 41
    I need to get new tires for my 06 Civic coupe. I live in NY metro area so I need all season with a focus on performance. Michelin Pilot Exaltos seem just right but pricey. Any suggestions? Thank you.
  • I just replaced my tires at 42000 miles with goodyear rs-a 205 16.I bought them at mavis tire. They are holding up nice so far.they are good in the rain, haven't expeirenced snow yet. the are the same tires cops have on the cars. Set of 4 with balancing and alignment was about 500. make sure to get yours aligned, my previous set of tires didn't hold up to well .
    Hi,

Bridgestone Pole Position RE960 tires are very well rated. Many people from my subaru board by these tires and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

RM
    Have these on my '06 Civic now and with 11k on the odo, they seem to be holding up well. Had the alignment checked about a month ago and it was out just a smidge. Tires are wearing just fine. Got Traction T/A's for the wife's Mazda 3 in the same 205/55/16 size and they ride amazingly well for a mid priced tire. Sears sells them for just under $100. each. Very good wet & dry traction.

• kork13kork13 Posts: 90
    Hey, random thing, but has anyone noticed their 'Passenger Airbag Off' light to come on at random times? I only just noticed it today, but in a 30 minute drive, it lit up 3 times... I don't even know how to turn it off myself! Not sure how/why that's happening, but maybe that's normal? Anyone?

(btw, I've got an '07 Civic Si, if it matters...)
  • I'm guessing that you had something on the passenger seat. If who ever is sitting in that seat does not weigh the proper amount (maybe 110???) or something like that then the airbag will shut off because it assumes a child is in the seat. So maybe you had something on the seat like a backpack or something???
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Posts: 138
    When my 24 pound dog sits in the passenger seat that light stays on all the time.
  • kork13kork13 Posts: 90
    That makes sense... i had some books, laundry, and other stuff on there... possibly right about that line that says if it'll be on or off... Thanks, at least i don't have to worry about it being some sort of malfunction.
    Ran over a long nail on Saturday and noticed it on Sunday evening. Naturally it went in through the inside sidewall of the rear passenger tire so they couldn't patch it. Told me I'd need a new tire and since I wanted the same tread on the rear axle, had to spring for some new Fusion tires. Made by Bridgestone the sales guy said. Had just hit 11k miles also.
    The remaining front RS-A's still have decent tread left, he estimated about 10k more miles which will take me a year. But knowing me, once the ride gets squirrely up front, I'll just swap out the remaining two and have a matched set.
    Was I right about having the same tread on the same axle?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    That's what the general recommendation is. If you are shifting brands then replace them in pairs.

I had that happen to me in the past with a low mileage tire (however I expect ultimate tire life to be more like 40K+ miles).....so I just bought a single matching tire.
  • cz75cz75 Posts: 210
    Same tire model on the same axle, with oldest/least tread in front to keep the car in the most stable handling configuration.
    That's exactly what the tire guy said and it's what they did. Would've just gone ahead and purchased the 4 tires, but the fronts still have about 1/2 their remaining tread and $ is a bit tight right now so decided to hold off a bit. Got a feeling that these same Fusion tires will still be around within the next 6 months or so. If not, will buy their newer model.

• Anyone having any luck on Rear Tire Noise. Took my 2007 Civic Hybrid to the Dealership today for tire noise after Tire Rotation at 8000 miles. Was told there was a problem with rear suspension/ chamber and Honda was aware and working on the problem, but for how long? The only current solution to help with the noise was to move the front tires back to the rear. Am I correct that the warranty is 12000 miles if / so @ 650 mile per week to a from work, I will most likely run out of warranty miles prior to Honda coming up with a fix. I have seen from the forums this has also been a problem with some 2006 models. The dealership said my problem with rear tire noise would be filed with the others and I would be notified when a fix was available. I was lead to believe that this was a new problem. Any suggestions
  • rwhrwh Posts: 29
    I own a 2007 Civic. I just received a safety update at work from our rental fleet people. Reading it over I was surprised to see the Civic didn't make the list. You can see it here:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr111507.html
  • cz75cz75 Posts: 210
    Your vehicle warranty is 36,000 miles.
  • nealmnealm Posts: 41
    The reason the Civic wasn't listed is that it fails to meet one of the hard criteria for making the list: Civic does not come with or offer the option of ESC (Electronic Stability Control).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,732
    I thought Civic Si offers ESC?
  • Hello,

I have an automatic 2006 Honda Civic EX which I just purchased this year. I am now experiencing problems with shifting it out of Park. The problem occurs when it is Cold. It some times requires me to play around with it for 5-10 minutes before it will shift into gear. When the car is hot, the problem is not as bad, but it still acts up.

I was thinking it is the shift lock mechanism but I am not sure. Has anyone had any similar problems and if so, how were they resolved (besides going to the dealer). Are there any quick fixes or places I should be looking in order to solve the problem.

Thanks,

JAY
  • Experienced similar issue with my 2006 Civic when parked on inclined surfaces, and using the handbrake for these circumstances has resolved the issue. :)
  • I had that problem with my 2006 Civic. It was a "sensor" that had to do with the brake. In fact, when the car is in park, and you press on the brake and listen really closely near the gearshift, you will hear a "click" to show that it is working properly. No click, and the car will not shift out of park.
    Mine was under warranty, and the dealer fixed it. I am not sure if it is a quick "do it yourself" fix.
    Nancy