Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• nealmnealm Posts: 41
    Today's NY Times auto section (3/22) reports that Honda has issued TSB 09-005 for 2006-9 rear shocks that may have come loose. They offer "replacing the assembly" with full or partial reimbursement for out of warantee cars at district manager's discretion.
    Also, in the same article, note TSB 09-007 for replacement of "drive belt tensioner pivot bolt and a rerouted drive belt" for some 2006 Civics. Honda will sent out a notification letter and the repair will be free.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Posts: 138
    Re: the TSB 09-005 loose rear shocks, I checked my Owner Link site and there's nothing about this. Does anyone know if it's a situation where they know which cars are involved and no one else will be notified? Thank you.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Had mine replaced two weeks ago. Went in and mentioned I hear noises in the rear over speed bumps and they replaced both shocks under warranty.
    Way cool!

The Sandman :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

When the shocks went out on my '02 Civic I found oil dripped on the garage floor. There's nothing like that and I haven't really noticed much noises over speed bumps. Would they be able to tell if I just took it in for the next oil change and asked to have them looked at? Also, did your dealer need notice because they have to be ordered first? Thank you.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Just went in for a routine oil change and since I'm near my 3 year time frame, asked them to look at this problem I had noticed. They did, they replaced them, and I thanked them and left a happy customer.

Just love my Honda and they've got a customer for life I suspect.

The Sandman :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Well, yes, I love mine too, but maybe once they get everything replaced we can relax and enjoy it. LOL
  • tjs01tjs01 Posts: 34
    Does anyone have a source for a copy of TSB 09-005 (or other TSBs related to the 2006 Civic)?
  • trick18trick18 Posts: 5
    bought my 07 civic last year with 12000 miles on it. From the begining there was a slight humming noise from the rear. Put 20,000 miles on it and the noise got so loud could not stand it anymore. Took it to the dealer today and there were 2 recalls, 1 for the brake switch and 1 for the water pump pulley botls. I figured the problem was the upper contol arms even thought the tires looked ok on the outside. Got a call from the dealer and was correct. They needed to replace the control arms and the tires which were not covered. They gave me a copy of the Warrenty History report which showed just before the 1st owner sold it he had the rear bearings and housing replaced. My guess it was the contol arms all along. I called Honda to complain about the problem and was hopping they would at least help with the price on the tires but no luck since he said I had to many miles. I asked him why it was not a recall and he stayed it was not a safety risk and only a couple of cars were effected. He then went on to say that I should be thankfull that I brought it in 4,000 miles before my warranty ran out or I would have had to pay for it. At that point I was fumming. I told him I was going to get for the arms replaced and buy 4 new tires then trade it in for anothe manufactures. He said sorry to hear that. I bought it because it was a HONDA but now cant take a risk since the warranty is just about up. Honda lost another customer.
  • wilso127wilso127 Posts: 8
    This is only a minor annoyance, but has persisted since I bought the car new almost 5 years ago. When the dashboard fuel indicator gets down to about a quarter of a tank, the needle will often suddenly plummet to 'empty' and the needs fuel light comes on. Yesterday, a hot one here, it did as usual so I made a mental note to but some $1.90 Regular in the AM. The next morning, in the cool of dawn, the indicator was back up to 1/4-tank and the indicator light did not come on. Is the measuring device in the tank measuring fumes as well as liquid? And if so, wouldn't there be more fumes in the tank during the hot daylight hours than there would be the following dawn? Just curious...
  • crazyflycrazyfly Posts: 61
    I have experienced the same thing to some degree. The fuel indicator gauge goes down faster from 1/3 of tank to E than it does from full to 1/3. It could be because of how the fuel tank is shaped. I've also noticed that the 'need fuel' light comes on and off. Sometimes based on how fast I was driving and whether on a level or hilly road. Once or twice a year I use Valvoline fuel system cleaner for cars with more than 50k miles, it also cleans the fuel gauge. So far it has worked well.

I try to keep track of miles per gallon achieved by my car, and to that I've observed that car drives about 375 to 400 miles in one tank of gas, so I reset the trip-meter to zero on each fill-up and get the gas again before trip meter gets to 400 miles. I use this primarily to keep track of cars miles per gallon, but it has also made me less dependent on the 'need fuel' indicator light.
  • wilso127wilso127 Posts: 8
    I just hit 40K, but your advice on using Valvoline Fuel System Cleaner sounds appropriate. Other than this, I have nothing but good to say (knock on wood) on the overall performance of this car over the past almost five years. I did have to have the airbag trigger mechanism replaced (when the car was still under warranty) but that's been about it. I'm very satisfied with this car, which was the first 'foreign' brand car I ever bought.
    The valvoline fuel system cleaner could be hard to find, the last time I found it was at local Pepboys shop, cost less than $10. I hope the info helps.

I've had domestic and foreign cars and found civics to be probably the best in terms of value. Take care of engine and fuel system and these run forever, last one I kept till 175k miles and was still in perfect condition. I don't drive much during workdays but have a tendency to take road trips,... long road trips and rack up lots of miles. I hope your civic lasts a long time too. Best of luck.
  • twomotortwomotor Posts: 17
    Similar deal on my 2006 - did the upper control arm replacement but the dealer wouldn't replace the rear tires, not visually worn but noisy, still had 8/32 tread, new is 10/32. Dealer said to call Honda and start a case file. I did hear back from Honda, they tried to tell me I had gotten 75% use out of the tires and out of the goodness of their heart would pay 25% of the rear tire replacement. Told them to keep there 25% and my next car will be a Toyota
  • nealmnealm Posts: 41
    I am surprised by the fact that I have been down a quart in 3000 miles.. 60000 miles on the car (manual, EX), 50/50 highway/local driving. Using Mobil One, no leaks in my driveway, oil changes at a quick-lube every 4-5 G miles. Please advise or share your experience. Thank you. PS. The oil stick is not very legible.
  • bearcat4bearcat4 Posts: 1
    Bought new, my 2006 Civic LX has been problem free up until yesterday. The vehicle has just 21K miles on it. Turning the key on, all warning lights on the instrument panel began flashing, the temp gauge and fuel gages didn't register. Drove car okay to dealer and left it for diagnosis. Anybody had this happen to them? What happened and what was the solution? I'm hoping that with 21K on the car (the 3 year warranty expired a month ago) Honda will take care of this problem. Otherwise, I'm very fearful of this likely expensive electrical repair.
    I've noticed a strange swoosh noise while driving my '07 Civic EX coupe this A.M. It stops when I stop. Anyone suddenly notice this? I checked the tire pressure thinking it might be that since the motor continues to run when the noise stops so wouldn't be the motor. One tire is one pound low, but otherwise they're all the same pressure. Any ideas?
  • rttkoyrttkoy Posts: 1
    I just bought used 06 LX , 105K . Do I need to change timing belt? or it's use chain? Do I need to change it? Can I wait for a while? I read some topic that it has recall on something. Is it free if I go to Honda center/dealer to check and change those things, if I bought it used? BTW, my insurance get higher $500. Is it because I got a newer car (my old one, accord EX 98) or because this model (civic LX 06)?
  • tjs01tjs01 Posts: 34
    I need to replace the tires on my 06 Civic. I live in Michigan, so I am looking for an all-season tire that will get me around in the snow. I would appreciate any recommendations.
  • skeeter11skeeter11 Posts: 33
    I replaced my 06 civic tires with Michelin Primacy MX-V4 's and have been very satisfield with them thus far. I live in the northeast and they handled well in the snow last winter. Hope this helps.
    Checkout Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Great High performance All Season Tires.
    You have a choice between H or V rated tires. Unless you often race or drive fairly fast, I would go with H rated tires, which cost a little less.

In my search for tires the tirerack.com turned out to be an excellent resource. They have very detailed results on each tires + user reviews. Hope this helps.