Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

texaschucktexaschuck Posts: 4
I use a quart every 1000 miles or so. Leak is from front of tranny. Shifting happens too easy and too often. Anything to try rather than a tranny rebuild?

Comments

• hi,i own a 1994 ranger 4x4 x-cab 4.0 auto,my 4x4 will not engage, does anybody know where the solenoid to engage 4x4 is
  • I have a 93 ford ranger 4.0 2wd . White smoke appears on start up then goes away, and the trany fluid has been disappearing, I have to put in about 1 qt a month. Someone told me it may be a faulty vacum modulator valve, but Its in a tough spot to change. Could it be plugged instead or will that create more problems. What else can I do, I plan on getting rid of the truck soon so I dont want to spend a lot of money on repairs.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Vacumn modulator valve.

Why won't you replace it? You've already been told...

The transmission also shift roughly, right?
  • I cant get to it . Thats why I wanted to see is I could plug it with no ill effects.
    The vacumn modulator valve is an intergral part of making the transmission shift, especially shift smoothly.

On my 4Liter Ranger, it was right above the cat converter, I think. It is tough to see, but these are usually held on with one bolt, so you should be able to get a socket on it. It really shouldn't be that difficult to remove.
  • I have a 2003 Ranger and there's a clunking noise coming from the rear of the truck when I'm in 4x4. We got the truck up in the air and the sound only occured when the truck was in gear and the wheels were moving and I also had my foot on the brake. It seems to be coming from the rear transfer case or some sort of harmonic balancer in the back. Anybody got any thoughts on what it could be? Drivetrain...
  • I have a 2001 3.0 ranger and for some reason my o/d light starts flashing once i start driving. When it does come on the truck runs like crap....shifts hard especiall 1st and second.......my dad has the same problem.....hes got a 98 ford ranger and his light is flashing......what can be some things to check....please help
  • Anyone know how to drain trans fluid? I see no drain plug.
    Remove the pan.

Have a BIG catch container. When the last bolts come loose, and the pan drops down, the fluid will start coming out all around the pan.

Very messy.
  • Do you have tilt steering? The flashing light is a problem in the trans control system, usually caused by a wire chafe in the column causing the OD OFF button to short out on the column.
  • I have a 98 ranger that does the same thing once I get up around 50+mph....very hard shift. I took it in for a diag and I was told that i need the following:
    torque converter
    tcc solenoid
    trans wiring harness and filter $ pan gasket....all for a whopping $1023.42....
  • i have a 94 ranger the trans is slipping pretty bad. i was wondering if i could put a aod trans out of a 89 mustang in it. if anyone knows please let me know
  • Hello, I'm new to this forum and this problem! My ranger is starting to slip between 2nd & 3rd gears, it has 61,000 easy miles on it. the local transmission shop said it's a common problem for ford's 4.0 (5r55e transmission) there is a service kit (ZM-203)and a new valvebody separator plate (7Z490) that needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get this kit and how hard is it to do myself, they wanted $1750.00 and the print-out they gave me showed 2.2 hours labor, I work maintence in a factory so I have very good mechanical skill's, Thank you in advance.
  • does anybody know how to get a 1994 ford ranger pu 4x4 out of 4wheel drive? I think it's the little drive motor on the transfer case as I tested the button to the computer. Is there a manual way to get it out of 4wheel?
  • I am thinking of changing ato trans fluid (Mircon V) in 2002 Ranger What brand names are good to use? Any do's or dont's or should or should not. Wal Mart fluid OK?
    Thanks Rangerdude7
  • DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY. MY MANUAL 5 SPEED.
    IS STUCK IN SECOND GEAR.
  • truck belongs to my son, he was stopped and heard a pop sound come from under truck. The truck would not engage after that point. It is a push button 4x4 with auto trans. I have been told maybe the solenode went out. does anyone know how to bypass this or manually shift the transfer?
  • I have an automatic 02 Ford Ranger with about 72,000 miles on it. I noticed a couple weeks back that there was a clunking/knocking sound coming from underneath. Went to check and found the noise to be coming I guess from the transmission case. Took it to a mechanic I thought I could trust and he replaced the transmission converter (I'm not sure if that's the actual part.) He said there was a possibility that the solar shield gear was getting loose, and this was due to the fact that I have a 4inch lift and 33 inch tires. What do you guys think? Are my oversized tires messing up my tranny? Additional symptoms to the truck are on neutral, if the clunking sound is not there, you revv it up to about 3,000rpm and let go of the gas, as the acceleration goes down you then hear the noise. I also started noticing it when stopped at a stoplight, and is consistent once the truck has been running. All this developed AFTER I got it out of the shop. This was all today. Before last weekend the clunking/knocking noise was minimal and not consistent. He's charging me $521.95, by the way. I've only paid him $250 as of yet. What to do? Thanks guys!
    Paul
  • Sorry, not a transmission converter... I meant Torque Converter