Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

Comments

• jawtinjawtin Posts: 2
    I'm shopping around for a used ranger, 2000-04. In a couple of them, when you're coming to a stop and it's down shifting, it is a little clunky. What is this? I found a nice one today, '00 with 54k, but it also has this clunky down shifting right before you come to a stop. Is this a bad thing?
  • I have a 95 Ranger that shifts into gear without a problem but won't move. Any ideas?
  • just got a 93" 4x4 5spd and it shifts but when I let out the clutch it dies?????? :confuse: Droped the drive shaft to tow it home.
  • I HAVE AN 09 FORD RANGER WITH A 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION. IT HAS 32000 KM ON IT @ 20,000 MI. I'M ON MY 3RD SLAVE CYLINDER. I'M WONDERING IF THERE IS A PROBLEM IN THE CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION.THIS SLAVE CYLINDER HAS 2000 KM ON IT AND I'M ALREADY GETTING THE WHESING SOUND TELLING ME I HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK IN TO HAVE IT CHECKED.
  • cruse1cruse1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Ford Ranger. It has a V6 automatic transmission. (3.0).
    Can I replace the transmission with one out of a 1996?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Try to find a salvage that has a nice guy at the counter. They have books that show all kind of exchange info.

In general, I would guess the tranny would match.
  • I have a 94 4x4 with a 3.0 engine and automatic trans. The trans will not shift into 3RD gear until I let off the throttle and alow the rpms to drop and then step back into the gas. Somtimes I have to feather the throttle little to make it shift. Any ideas ?
    First thing I would check would be the vacumn modulator on the transmission and the line going to it. Bad modulator or leak in the line.

If your tranny fluid is going down, the modulator is gone - leak in the diaphram and fliud is being pulled into the intake and burned.
  • I HAVE A FORD RANGER 2000 AND IT WILL GO INTO DRIVE BUT IT WANT GO IN REVERS WHY?
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I may have an internal problem in the trans.
    modulator is new and the lines are ok.
  • i have a 2000 ford ranger 4 cil. 2 rwd, i replaced the abs vehicle speed sensor, i have problem with shifting , fluid level ok, replaced screen every 15000 mi.
    Yes, there really isn't much that can be do-it-yourself repair on an auto, or even the manual, transmissions. If the fluid level is ok, the modulator on automatics is ok - if there are problems, it's probably going to take a visit to a shop.
  • I have a problem with shifting first to second. Sometimes at low rpm it shifts really hard and late. Also when cruising then i step on it to pass,it down shifts to nothing and winds out bad like no gear there. Also the overdrive light starts flashing. Is this gears or electronic?
  • 86 Ranger, 4x4, 2.9L, manual trans. While driving one day heard a loud pop and truck stopped moving. Will go into any gear just fine as well as shifting into 4x4, truck just sits there like it's in Neutral. Someone said it may have been the transfer case belt or chain??? Not sure about that one. Can anybody help me narrow this down? Thank You.
  • my transmission had something wrong with it about a year ago but too broke to fix it at that time but drove it anyway.......i would have to drop it into 2nd then into drive for the trany to engage........i drove it like that for a year and last couple of days it would go into drive the normal way i was doin but it would engage when i would rev the motor to the rev limiter and after 3 sec of hitting the rev limiter the tranny would kick into drive but the other day it wouldnt do anything besides reverse.........please help me get an idea of whats goin on thanks
  • vicavica Posts: 3
    Before you start tearing apart the transmission take it to a dealer and have them do a check on your computer.....I had the same truck in a shop for 8 months tryin to figure out the transmission problem and it was the computer the whole time....I got a used one at a junk yard for $50 and it was fine. But only the dealer can run the right kind of computer test.
  • blakefblakef Posts: 1
    I have an 85 ford ranger 4x4 and i need to change the clutch slave cylinder in it but its not the original transmission is what ive been told so i need somebody to tell me what models came with the slave cylinder on the outside of the tranny instead of the inside.. thanks
  • 93 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 5 spd. - I was driving along and heard a "Poof' sound and vehichle jerked and then, kept going as if it were fine. A couple of miles down the road, it quit pulling and a little smoke came up through the shifter in the floor. I pulled over, the motor ran fine but tranny wouldn't go in gear. The shifter worked, but wouldn't go anywhere. Had to be towed. Help please!!
  • HEY friends, I am looking for a car for my 17 year old son, and found a sweet looking ford ranger truck.....am wondering if you like yours did you drive it forever....is there a certain point when you should get rid of them as they become expensive to maintain? he would not be a heavy driver......just looking for good or bad feeedback. thanks in advance. :)