Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

Comments

• reydonreydon Posts: 1
    have had the transmission rebuilt but the mechanic says it is shifting thru the gears too fast anyone ever have this problem and how did you fix it
  • bjspargbjsparg Posts: 1
    car shuts off when i put it in drive or reverse .starts in neutral or park but soon as put it drive it shuts off.any ideas.
  • I have a 2002 ranger with same trans problem. It was diagnosed with a PO735 code. I plan on going to several trans shops to get it scoped. Hopefully I can find a trans guy that is knowledgeable about ranger trans.
  • keagan07keagan07 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    i have a 94 ford ranger 3.0 v6 5 speed. the problem originally just started in 5th gear with a small vibration and then 5th gear got even worse and vibrated really bad when accelerating although there is no slip or shortage of power. and now its starting to do it in every gear and is quickly getting worse.....does anyone know if its a clutch or a transmission problem? and if it is a transmission what will it cost to replace it?
  • mock2mock2 Posts: 11
    truck drives good sometimes not at regular intervals it gets this loud noise.form under the shifter.
    can happen in all gears. sometimes seams to be triggered by turns or bumpy roads.can be felt as a slight shaking almost like e brake is on Sounds like a train with the brakes locked.
    any suggestions? checked brakes and u-joints...thats not it.
    Clutch?
    Sounds like the problem i'm having with my 97 ranger. did you ever find out what the cause was?
  • So was it the transmission? I have an 02 also. I noticed that when shifted fast it wiould try to stall for a while but never did stall. It just started to stall when shifted into reverse. And now I noticed that if I put it into neutral first then reverse it would not stall. I believe it just needs a good tune up, it has never had new plugs put in, so I am going to try that and a good tune up.
    edited November 2011
    Check trany fluid! Smell burnt? should look like cherry juice not black like dirty motor oil.
  • when i am in neutral after moving in gear, something keeps spinning at high rate either in tranny or engine. sounds like tranny wants to be shifted if tht makes sense. spinning stops when i put in gear or have been stopped for about 30 seconds. anyone know what i need to do?
  • should i be useing automatic or gear lube?
  • I Would just Replace the seal and torque converter and do a transmission flush, especially if your rear main is leaking as well.
  • Try replacing the transmission mount, it should only run you about 30 bucks but ive had a friend have the same problem on his ranger.
    good luck
    edited December 2011
    May be the fuel linkage (cable) sticking.My 97 sticks now and then!!!
    Hi mock2wheel bearings and races (trany noise)not realy comming from trany
    gone.Thanks to Steve at Augie's junk yard
  • what do i do to prevent that?
    did you lube it or change it?
  • I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 5 speed
    When locking in 4 wheel the transmission is slipping is there an adjustment you can make on the sprocket chain on the transmission (transfer case) ???
  • sam213sam213 Posts: 4
    it turned out to be my tps. soon as i changed that everything worked out
  • I have a 2010 Ranger 2WD with a manual transmission and it seems to be getting harder to get into gear (1st & 2nd) so I took it into the dealer and the transmission mechanic test drove it and agreed that it seemed like the synchronizer was hanging up. He said it would be covered under warranty since I only have 16K on it. He asked me to wait until it gets worse so he could easily identify the bad parts. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem with their Ranger?
  • This morning, I put the truck in reverse it went fine in gear, I drove in reverse maybe 20' and it felt like I had hit something. The truck shook, I didn't really hear anything. I got out and didn't see anything, but the truck wouldn't go into reverse. I toggled thru fwd then reverse a few times and it went into reverse. I drove a few miles to the store and the same thing. Now I am home and no reverse. Then fluid level is fine but smells burnt.

I have a 2nd interview tomorrow, all indications are that I will finally be hired after 4 years unemployed now this luck. The job is 50 miles away and the only way there is through the Cajon summit(moderate elevation mtn. pass) I have read stories of being able to drive forward even though there is no reverse gear. I can deal with this of course. I am just afraid of the whole tranny going out completely.

I have never had a problem other than hard shifts from 1st to 2nd since I got my ranger with 86k mi.