Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

Comments

• Front seal on tranny leaking want to try replacing my self any info would help money tight to take to a shop
  • Just wondering how complicated it is to change my entire transmission myself? Thanks!
  • ahinsonahinson Posts: 17
    86 ranger,v6 2wd auto.1st and 2nd gear ok,no drive or o.d. or reverse,does this sound like a rebuild or a solenoid :sick:
  • kuberr4kuberr4 Posts: 6
    I have a 1992 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 5 speed manual. The muffler is off, and at first, it ran fine, but since it has developed a whining, or humming noise. It happens when in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and overdrive, whether I am accelerating or going at a steady speed, but not when I let off the gas. It doesn't happen in 4th. Also, I sometimes can't shift into first from a dead stop.I am suspecting a bad clutch but am not sure. Anyone know what could be wrong?
  • I had a similar problem with a mystique, it was an electrical problem, the computer puts the tranny in safe mode, thats why it wont go out of 2nd, hope this helps
  • kdeezlekdeezle Posts: 12
    I am changing the trans in my 91 ranger. It is a 4.0 automatic. to get to the bellhousing top bolts, i have to take out the pipe going into my exhaust manifold. Does anyone know hot to get this out without cutting it off. It is so rusted that i am having a hard time. Does anyone have any tips on getting the old trans out as easy as possible?
  • vasolinivasolini Posts: 3
    I've replaced all the parts for my clutch from the Master Cylinder, all the way to the pilot bearing. The only part I did not replace is the line from the MC with the male coupling, (it wasn't leaking so I didn't replace it). I can't for the life of me, get the darn thing to bleed out all the air. I have tried for three days to bleed this clutch, then gave up and took it to the shop, where the lead tech has spent three days with the same results, no clutch!! Is there anything I should or can do?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I don't have much advice for you. But I have heard the hydrolic clutch on Rangers can be a real b***h to bleed.

Only thing you might try - a gravity bleed. Just open the lower bleeder, take off/loosen the top cap, and just see if fluid will drain down and move the air out.

Only other guess - call around to other garages to see if you can find one with experience doing a Ranger, one that will say they can successfully bleed one.
  • vasolinivasolini Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. They still have the truck and now they are going to pull the tranny to make sure I put everything back together properly. There wasn't much to it, but I told them to go ahead in case there is something I may have done incorrectly. I can't believe it has taken this long and still no good results.
    I tried the gravity bleed as per the Haynes manual, but it doesn't flow out, it trickles.
    If they can't get it soon, the Ford dealer is right across the street! I prolly shoulda taken it there to begin with. So much for trying to save a buck.
  • jack78jack78 Posts: 5
    Why would automatic trans fluid come out the filler tube?
    When you start the eng to check the trans level it's checks OK (cold). But you drive the truck for just a few minutes then check the level the fluid poors out. I checked the vent tube and blew air in it, it does not seem pluged.
    The truck has not been driven much.
    any thoughts?
  • pistol15pistol15 Posts: 1
    I replaced the clutch in my 95 Ranger and had the exact same problem. I replaced the Master and the slave but still no help until I saw a note in the box the master cylinder came in. The note had me call a help desk and they would walk me through the bleeding process. They had be take the master along with the clutch line off the truck and bleed it by filling the resevoir with fluid and tilting the line while holding the check valve open so the air would come out of the valve. It has been a couple years so the exact steps are a bit fuzzy. I'm pretty confident this will fix your problem. If you still have the master cylinder box, look for the sheet that gives you a 1-800 number and they can help you for free. Good luck.
  • kdeezlekdeezle Posts: 12
    I am putting in a auto v6 trans in my ranger. I am a do it mydelfer. any tips on the easiest way to get it in? I am have trouble lining the torque converter up.
  • lk270lk270 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 94 Ranger 3.0 auto transmission and when you shift to reverse it really shifts hard ,it really jumps, when you put it in drive it shifts a little rough but nothing like it does in reverse anybody have any ideas ???
  • lucyfordlucyford Posts: 2
    i was stuck in traffic for a long time, rolling along in 1st gear. traffic thinned out. i tried to go faster, but when i stepped on the gas, i couldnt get out of first gear. brought it to the shop, who couldnt get it out of first either. they just called and said it was going to cost me about $700 to fix becasue i need a speed sensor in the rear end, it has a bad seal, and break fluid is leaking from the left rear wheel. does this warrant $700 worth of work?
  • My Ranger is making noise. When I push the clutch in it makes a rattleing noise and when I am driving. b ut only in the afternoo. I go to work at 5:30 AM and this morning is did not make any noise. Yesterday afternoon it started making noise and this afternoon. Any body got any Ideas. :confuse:
  • I have a 1992 ford ranger auto and need to replace the shifter.
    I need to know what trany is in this year truck to order a shifter.
    The pan has 18 bolts. :confuse:
  • The third gear grinds when transmission is warmed up. How can I fix this problem?
  • I have a 95 Ford Ranger 5spd. Every now and then, when the truck gets real hot under the hood, the clutch begins to 'slip' and then gets stiff and will not release the clutch. I have to wait 20 or 30 minutes for the engine to 'cool down' and then it runs fine. I have been unable to figure out what causes this. It only happens about twice a year or so. Anyone know what this is or have the simalar problem?