Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

Comments

• logan65logan65 Posts: 2
    i am doing a transmission swap in a 95 ford ranger and cannot figure out how to
    remove the gear selector cable from the transmission.
    can someone please advise me how to remove it or is there a special
    tool required to do the job.
  • logan65logan65 Posts: 2
    Can someone please tell me how to remove the "Slave Cylinder Cable" from
    a 1993 Ford Ranger 5 speed manual transmission.
    I am doing a tranny swap and I have removed the old transmission but it is
    hanging from the truck by this cable.
  • when in 4 wheel drive My truck feels like it jumps every block or so. sounds like its coming from rearend . 2 wheel drive it works fine , should I trade it in ?
  • iridium3iridium3 Posts: 1
    Had an 89 Bronco II (same chassis as a Ranger) that did the same thing. Turned out to be a partially clogged catalytic converter. Replacing the exhaust system solved the problem. :shades:
  • the next day it stoped should I still worry, how do I check the catalytic converter?
  • I have a 99 ford ranger in my shop with this problem I fix it today. It was a blow fuse check fuse #13 this a 15 amp fuse under hood this go to trans and O2 sensers. Check the wiring on O2 sensers on driver side .This was on the exhaust and short the fuse out hope this help
  • Same thing happening in my 99 Ranger 4x4. Annoying noise but EXACTLY the same. In first only when I am not concentrating on the noise it happens, if I release slow , or fast no noise. Who knows what is happening, please?? Any fixes yet, two mechanics say it is just and annoying noise that Ford makes, but others say maybe a noisy Slave cylinder.
    \Help???
  • Same thing happening in my 99 Ranger 4x4. Annoying noise but EXACTLY the same. In first only when I am not concentrating on the noise it happens, if I release slow , or fast no noise. Who knows what is happening, please?? Any fixes yet, two mechanics say it is just and annoying noise that Ford makes, but others say maybe a noisy Slave cylinder.
    \Help???
  • Did you fix the noise yet?? my email is todd_freeman.bc@flightcentre.ca , we should chat about this , if you have fixed it let me know please.

Todd
  • It wasn't the fuse?
  • 20532053 Posts: 1
    I am in the process of replacing the clutch on my 2003 Ford Ranger. It is a 2 wheel drive (4 cylinder with a 5 speed transmission). I have removed 8 bolts (13mm hex head bolts x 2 1/2" long) from around the transmission housing bottom and sides and can feel one more in a very akward position high on the right side (passenger side) of the housing (positioned near the front O2 sensor).
    The Haynes manual that I own does not indicate how many bolts there are in total nor does it show a picture of their locations. It appears to be very difficult if not impossible to access if there are any bolts located along the top of the housing.
    Questions:
    1. How many bolts (13 mm head x 2 1/2") are there in total? So far, I have removed 8 and have found 1 more as noted above.
    2. Are there any (13 mm head x 2 1/2") along the top portion of the tranny to engine?
    3. If there are, how do you access?
    4. Other than the dowel pins, are there any other bolts or nuts that must be removed along the tranny to engine that must be removed?
    5. I searched the web for pictures of the bolt locations. Can anyone direct me to a site or manual that shows this.
    6. The manual also references removal of the speedometer cable. I do not see this. Where is this located?
  • uneasyuneasy Posts: 1
    Can I put a transmission from an 88 ranger 5 spd into my 92 ranger
  • vicavica Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 ranger.....3.0, 4 wheel drive. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it will go right back into second and stay there. I have had the computer looked at and the transmission apart and looked at with no results. I also had the valve body changed and it is still doing the same thing. Any help would be great. Thanks
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    you stated you had the vb changed did you put a used vb on it or did you get a reconditioned vb ? these unit have a severe problem with the vb and usually it wont go away unless you buy a vb that has had all the new valves put in it
  • vicavica Posts: 3
    It was a used vb.....
    ok so are you getting any codes ie p0733 gear ratio error in 3rd and p0735 gear ratio error in 5th? if your answer is yes then you will need to replace the vb with a recon valve body assembly. its the only way to get rid of this problem. hopefully you havent damaged anything in the unit yet.
  • ahinsonahinson Posts: 17
    YSE ONLY MERCON NOT A COMBINATION
  • for about 2 weeks i've been having to pump my clutch several times to get it to go in gear(while cold) once the truck warms up it seems to do ok. today when i went out to go to work no matter how many times i pumped clutch it would not go into any gear the truck would just ease forward or backward as if clutch was not disengaged. my question is does this sound like a slave cylinder issue considering clutches dont usually come and go. vehicle is an '03 ford ranger edge 4x4 5spd
    yes its a slave issue but recommend replacement of slave and master at same time
  • Hi

I'm changing the 3-4 silinoid out one a 88 ranger. Can anyone tell me how many torque lbs for the lower vavle body bolts.