Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love/hate my Cobalt

Comments

• alpine1alpine1 Posts: 51
    I experienced getting the key stuck in the ignition on a 2006 Cobalt that I rented. It was very frustrating, until I learned how to get it out. When parking, apply the brakes to stop, and put the shift (auto trans) in "P", but keep your foot on the brake. Then turn the ignition off and remove the key. Finally, remove your foot from the brake. If the key gets stuck, start the car again, put it in drive or reverse and move the car a few inches, apply the brakes to stop, and put the shift (auto trans) in "P", but keep your foot on the brake. Then turn the ignition off and remove the key. Finally, remove your foot from the brake.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    The more I look at the Cobalts, the more I like them. Especially the Coupe SS.
    Here is where I need some help. I got my first car a 1973 Dodge Swinger (the only one bought used) at 18 yrs. old then a 1977 Chev. Chevelle Malibu Classic at 20, a 1984 Chev. Blazer S-10 at 27, a 1992 GMC Safari at 35, a 1994 Chev. Blazer S-10 at 37, a 1999 Chev. Venture at 42 and now I drive a 2005 Chev. Equinox 48 when I bought it. I'm going on 50 and I'm interested on buying a Cobalt SS Coupe. Since 1984 I've been a truck owner and now going back to a car? As you can see I've been a loyal G.M. lover for a long time. Is my decision a normal one or I'm I going crazy? What kind of car is realy the Cobalt? Good or Bad?
  • Looks like youll be spending more time at the dealer from now on. :P
  • i have an 06 Cobalt LT2 5 speed. No problems with the car at all. Just do the normal 3k oil change. Nothing better than a Chevy!
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    All cars have much better reliability than they did 20 years ago.

That said....In the small car category, the most reliable vehicles are the new Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris, the Honda Civic Hybrid, and the Toyota Corolla. The Chevrolet Cobalt, with 37 percent more problems than the average, scored the lowest among small cars, followed by the Nissan Sentra (2006), the Volkswagen Jetta (5-cyl.) and the Chevrolet Aveo.

Consumer reports rates the reliability of the Cobalt as the worst among small cars. I'm not a CR subscriber and I'm not fond of the fact that CR only surveys it's subscribers.

How can I say this without offending Cobalt owners.....OK, IMO every small car currently made and sold in the US would be preferred over the Cobalt.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "Consumer reports rates the reliability of the Cobalt as the worst among small cars. I'm not a CR subscriber and I'm not fond of the fact that CR only surveys it's subscribers.

How can I say this without offending Cobalt owners.....OK, IMO every small car currently made and sold in the US would be preferred over the Cobalt." ((

How can I say what I'm about to say without offending, hmmm... oh, yeah, you.....OK, IMO you've repeatedly gone out of your way to denigrate Consumer Reports over several months with allegations of the publisher's bias towards subscribers, (funny, CR does report the bad along with the good in their subscriber-based surveys - which does represent a rather broad portion of the socio-economic spectrum...) but then use the publication's (allegedly suspect) ratings to excoriate the Cobalt. If both CR and the Cobalt's deficiencies are so unnerving for you, why do you persist in mentally flagellating yourself by dwelling on them?
  • I've posted before on here. I drive over 150 miles a day from white plains, N.Y to JFK Airport. My Cobalt now has 25,300 miles on it and the car has not been to the dealer with any problems at all only oil changes. I have to repeat I have not had 1 problem with the car. The cobalt is a superior car, some might have gotten lemons but in general the car is the best. I also have co-worker that bought a cobalt last january and at 11,000 miles his has also had zero problems.
    Hey! Gerald41
    I'm looking forward to buying a Cobalt Coupe SS (not supercharged) because it seems to be a great car. I agree there are some lemons in every brand of cars.
    I can see you live in the north-east. How was the winter driving (ice and snow) last year. I live just north of you (Canada) where there is plenty of snow and that's my biggest concern. To face the winter season with a Cobalt. Do you ride on snow tires? By your name I figure you're 41. Right?
    If not how old are you and your co-workers? Cause people tell me that the Cobalt Coupe is for young people only. I'm going on 50 and I love the Cobalt. My wife had a 1998 Cavalier and she never had any problems and they say that the Cobalt is much better than the Cavalier. So it must be a fantastic car.
    I'm not gerald41, but I am 61 and 5'11". My better half currently owns a '00 Cavalier she just paid off. (She had to learn the hard way not to ever be upside down again with a 60 month loan.) As soon as she gets the "pink slip" (clear title in California), off she'll go to a Chevrolet store for a new Cobalt LTZ (silver with neutral leather - she's been drooling over the '06 brochure for months... ;)). She rented an '06 coupe for us to take an extended drive to Phoenix to visit the grandkids. I had no problems with headroom in the car. My only objection to coupes (not just Cobalts, either) is the difficulty for anyone but kids to ingress and egress the rear seat. I also appreciate the four-doors for loading "stuff" into the rear seat. I have only VERY limited experience with driving in snow, so I can't offer an opinion on the need for snow tires for a Cobalt other than I'd tend to err on the side of caution. (You're as young as you feel. Tell the know-it-alls who say Cobalts are for young people only to mind their own business and enjoy their thrashed old Ladas and Yugos.)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    2006 Coupe, stick shift, 9,700 miles

No problems whatsoever; very quick with the stick shift. Saved $6,000 vs. getting a Honda Civic Coupe (the regular, not the Si!). 35 mpg on my commute (calculated by hand over many gas tanks; the onboard computer is 1 mpg optimistic).
  • As for my experience in driving the cobalt through winter weather, I would rate it average. I'm in my 50's and have drove small and large cars and front wheel drive and rear drive cars. The Cobalt is your typical front wheel drive car. It has no pro's or cons over my previous car (2001 Malibu). It plows through deep snow and drives as good as can be expected on slippery roads. The michelins on my LT aren't as good as the perellis my cousin got on his, other than that I'll repeat I'm very satisfied with the car and highly recommend it. It's a solid well built car. This is the first new car I can remember that I didn't have any issues with that called for a return to the dealer. This car is my workhorse and has yet to let me down. By the way it's an LT with leather interior with every option except the sunroof, out the door it was 18,400. :)
    Thanks for your responses (gerald41) and (Ray h1)
    I guess my next car will be a Cobalt Coupe SS. Now I'm more confidant about the winter season. I agree with Ray h1 about the hassle the coupe could be versus a sedan but my wife seems to like more the coupe (sportier look)she says. And yes Cobalts are made for the old guys like us that feel young as we are.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • My cobalt has also turned off three times and all the dealership said was there was nothing wrong wit hit. So I told them that I needed a better answer than that, now they are contacting GM engineers to see if this problem has occurred with anyone else and we'll see where it goes from there.
  • I have had my fair share of problems with my own cobalt. As of now I have 13,000 miles on my car,and have had to take it in to the dealership a couple of times. The first time was to have the windsheild replaced because there was moisture under the window. Then there was a slight vibration which turned out to be the mud flap was loose. And most recently the keys kept getting stuck in ignition. The whole shifting unit had to be replaced. So be sure to get your car in as soon as possible.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Hi All,

First let me say I own a 2006 Cobalt. I purchasd the Cobalt for 2 reasons first I owned a 94 Cavalier which gave me 183,000 good miles, second I have a relative which works for a chevrolet dealer. Currently I have 6,000 miles on the cobalt my only problem was the dreaded "key stuck in the ignition" problem. It was an easy fix having my car in and out the shop in around an hour. Here's the comon issues that Cobalts suffer according to my cousin.

Key stuck 05 and 06 models. pin in shifter assembly falls out of alignment, fix change complete shifter assembly that has improved pin.

A/C leaks mainly 05's seal on unit is poor, they reseal it with a new seal.

All other issues are rare, the 2 above account for most service calls. He says the key being stuck happens to nearly 6 out of every 10 cars and you might see a recall coming because of that. The average car starts seeing this problem between 5 and 10 thousand miles.
  • Water vapor coming from vents when A/C is on. He says there's no fix for this.

Steering colume vibration very rare has only seen 1 car with this problem.

Interior sunroof moulding falls off. New clips installed.

There are a few other issues He mentioned that I forgot but those were the most common.

Without doubt though the Key stuck is very common, they see them everyday.New shifter assemblys are fixed, but he's says even as recent as the summer some of the replacement shifters still had the problem and had to be changed again.

So if you key starts to give you problems go to the dealer and have the shifter assemby changed It won't go away by itself and will only get worse.
  • I purchased my 05 Cobalt at a tent sale by Chevrolet in May 2005 in AZ. It has 27,000 miles on it, and up until now I've had small lil' frustrations with it here & there.

So, what's the big problem? My car won't start & the key is STILL stuck in the ignition! Yesterday my brother goes out to my car to get his sweater & uses the keyless entry. He said when he pushed the "unlock" button, it didn't work. So, then he had to use the key to unlock the door. Then, he says he tried to pop the trunk (using the button), and nothing. He then thinks he needs to put the key in the ignition to activate the power, and when he does the trunk still doesn't pop open. After that he couldn't release the key from the ignition. Next, he said he tried to start the engine to release it, and the car never started! So he goes & gets me... and of course I'm thinking you just need to mess with the key for a bit & it'll pop out. But what suprised me was the car was COMPLETELY DEAD! And no, it wasn't my battery! Even if it was the battery, the trunk should still be able to pop open, right? So, everyone there gives it a shot, and nothing. I wait about 2 hours & try it again. The key only moves forward (which starts the engine), then moves back but I still can't get it out!

So I call the dealership, and the lady says everyone is busy & someone will have to call me back. She gets my name, and number & the type of vehicle I drive. So I'm waiting here thinking someone will call within the hour, nothing. I call again, she says the same thing, "Nobody is available for her to transfer me to", and says she can get my info again. So... Here I am on the net tryin to research & see if this has been a problem for anybody else. I can see that the key getting stuck in the ignition is quite common. BUT... I think I've only seen one other person post about a "lease" they had where the car didn't start, but they were able to get the key out, but had to get it towed back to the dealership, and got another Cobalt. Well, mine is a purchase & I'm pretty much stuck with it unless I shop for a new vehicle. I'll admit that I was having the whole "key stuck in the ignition" problem as well for at lease 3-4 weeks, but my busy schedule kept me from gettin it to the dealership. I guess that was my problem for not getttin it taken care of right away.... BUT WHY DID MY CAR HAVE TO DIE??? Since nobody from the Dealership is calling me back it looks like I need to get it towed. I'm sure they're gonna have it for more than a day. Do you know if they pay for a rental while it's getting worked on?

I'm soooooo ticked about this! That was the whole point of me gettin a brand new vehicle, so I wouldn't run into any problems like this. It's only been a year & a half since I've had my Cobalt =(
    That is bad news. Time for a sitdown and some herbal tea. The good news is that your warranty is through Chevrolet Division of General Motors - not the selling dealership, which by your account seems to be remarkably unresponsive. (The morons may actually be doing you a favor! ;)) Try another Chevy dealership - it's always YOUR option with which Chevrolet dealership to have warranty and routine service matters dealt with. Since this is a warranty matter, check the warranty section in your owner's manual - towing may be covered, too. Your frustration is understandable, but keep in mind your ailing car is fixable.

(One final point - your car didn't "HAVE TO DIE". It just did. The lock-the-ignition-key-in-the-switch malady is an equal opportunity aggravation.)
  • Good Day,

Do you know what has to be done with in regards to the steering vibration? I have been to the dealership 4-5 times about this problem and they can not figure out what it is. The vibration occurs once every 2 months or so, but it's scary as heck... Any advice will help! thanks!
  • interesting story. Coincidence i guess, but my girlfriend who lives with me has a 05 Cobalt also and almost this exact same thing JUST NOW happened! We get back from dinner get out and lock the door and she saw it lock and the light flashed and she thinks they turned off. It almost seemed the computer messed up or something right when they flashed because all the lights that do flash were still on. a few hours later someone knocks on my door and says the light are on. so we try to unlock the car to turn them off but nothing works. not the trunk button, lock, unlock or the alarm. I figure its the computer so ill just undo the battery then re hook it and it should reset it. but first i manually unlock the door then put it in to see if it will start or if the trunk button would work. neither happens ( the headlights were very dim so i figure the battery was close to dead) i still dont know why i tried to start it. I should have manually opened the trunk where the battery is located but now the key is in the ignition and its stuck! so i cant start the car and cant open the trunk. so basically the car is stuck out on the street with the dim lights still shining, the keys in the ignition and we have to leave the door unlocked because we only have one set of keys. Maybe someone has a suggestion??