Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love/hate my Cobalt

Comments

• logmgrlogmgr Posts: 39
    I have an 05 Cobolt...averages around 34mpg...has 23K on it.....also have an 06.
    Basically happy with both.
    ONE problem I have had....while driving down the innerstate at 70 MPH the brake warning light blinked on...checked fluid and that was ok...it did not do it again for 3000 miles. This is one of those deals where the dealer cannot duplicate the problem because the light does not blink regularly...only twice in 23000 miles.
    I did notice that the brake pedal seems to be higher/lower at randon.
    Has anyone else had this difficulty?
    I would just like to find out what needs replaced.
    Thanks.
  • logmgrlogmgr Posts: 39
    My cobalts ( I have an 06 and an 05)have about the same miles as yours.
    Have you ever had a problem with uneven tire wear or vibration ?
    Both of mine have and I just do not know what to have checked.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    Presuming neither car has collision damage, start with having the tires rebalanced (after checking and adjusting tire pressures to at least what your owner's manual specifies - preferably 2 or 3 lbs above. Then take the cars to a good alignment shop to verify/adjust toe-in/toe-out as necessary that the front wheels are aligned to factory specs for proper tracking.
  • I have to say I bought a fully loaded brand new Cobalt LT (4 miles on the odometer when I signed all the dotted lines -- 2 of which I put on it during the test drive. It boasted leather seats, sunroof, premium sound chrome wheels..... you get the idea -- beatiful car. I drove it from Nevada to Montana once and then from Nevada to Washington State once. It was functional and I loved how I could do a u-turn in it and not even take up 2 lanes to do it in. The sound sytem was awesome and I was overall impressed and pleased with the car. I loved the car when I drove it off the lot, but once it hit about 12,000 miles all HELL broke loose lets see.....

1) The car sat in my drive way over night several times and had to be jump started -- I took it to the dealership and apparently the battery was dead bad fuse or wire or something...... funny little thing is that after the battery was replaced the car still had to be jumpstarted a coupl eof times my husband and I finally deducted that I had to UNPLUG the cell phone charger I think that thing only pulls 1 amp, but apparently the poor car couldn't handle it .... so those people charging their cell phones in their cars over night I wouldn't reccommend it with this car.

2.) The motor in the sunroof died .... then the bracket around the button to the sunroof fell out of the ceiling.

3.) The little ashtray/garbage container wouldn't close it kept falling open and I kept having to replace it.

4.) The clip on the center console broke.

5.) The paint on the bumper started peeling for no real good reason?????? Get that one.

6.) Then lastly -- the straw that snapped the cammels back was -- getting pulled over by a cop because the brake lights and my left turn signal were out.

I have owned other makes/models of cars in the past 10-15 years I have never had to replace lightbulbs, or window motors in the cars before my loan was finished!!!!

7.) The most pitiful part of all is that I decided to trade it in and buy Sebring Convertible and the fleet manager said he couldn't give me a good deal on the trade because he was going to send the car to auction and not recondition it for resale --- I know some of you are thinking oh the dealership is lying to you ..... BUT my husband works for that dealership and they had to really work a deal so I could get out of my headache that we all call a Chevrolet Cobalt.

Maybe I got a LEMON, but truthfully my husband worked for that dealership when I bought that car. It was a new model and he now tells me that people are turning them in like hotcakes and that because their is such a high turn over and the market is saturated with them that they don't hold their value.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!
  • gman55gman55 Posts: 5
    Bought '06 LS in June. Put on 12K so far with just a few "minor" issues...

- Cheap wheel covers "squeak" over road bumps. (dealer re-taped)
    - Seatbelt retract mechanism getting weak, closing door on it.
    - Spoiler's left pylon leaks water days after a high pressure wash.

Haven't had any of the other problems listed here though...

Guess I'm just lucky...so far.
  • TO EVERYONE WITH A 05 OR 06 COBALT WITH A NEW MODEL CAR COMES NEW PROBLEMS BUT DONT WORRY WITH THE 07 COBALT COMES GOOD NEWS CHEVROLET HAS COME UP WITH A WAY TO FIX THE "KEY" ISSUE BUT MOST OF US DONT OWN 07 COBALTS FOR THOSE OF US WHO OWN 05 OR 06 COBALTS INSIDE THE SHIFTER IS A MICROSWITCH THAT TELLS THE CAR THAT THE SHIFTER IS IN PARK THE MICROSWITCH IS A NEW SWITCH NEVER PUT INTO A CAR BEFORE THE 05 COBALT AND THE SWITCHES ARE BREAKING WHICH MAKES YOUR KEYS NOT COME OUT WHEN YOU WANT IF YOUR CAR DOES THIS DONT FEAR HELP IS HERE UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL THERE IS A SMALL PANEL THIS PANEL WAS PLACED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS REASON MOST OF THE TIME YOUR FINGER NAIL CAN GET THE PANEL OPEN ONCE OPEN SLIDE YOUR FINGER INTO THE SLOT AND FEEL AROUND FOR WHAT FEELS LIKE A PLUNGER WITH A SPRING ON THE BACK PUSH THAT FORWARD AND THAT WILL ENGAGE THE KEY LOCK AND ALLOW YOU TO PULL YOUR KEYS OUT SOON AFTER GET TO A DEALER AND THEY SHOULD PUT A NEW SHIFTER INTO THE CAR IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 5 DAYS AND GM WILL PAY FOR A RENTAL FOR THE TIME YOU LOST YOUR CAR WITH NO EXPENSE TO YOU UNLESS YOU GET THE RENTAL INSURANCE

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU COBALT OWNERS I WISH I HAD THIS KNOWLEDGE WHEN IT HAPPENED TO MY CAR!!! :P
  • From Sundays paper.The cobalt is going to be built through 2009 at the chevy Lordstown Ohio plant,after that they are not sure .It said that there are a few plants bidding on new models and the Lordstown plant is one of those plants.They might keep building the cobalt there or stop production on this car and build something new.For 2008 Chevy is dropping the Supercharger model and replacing it with a turbo charger model. read this in Sundays Cleveland Ohio Plain dealer.
  • I can't bear to read your posting. Don't use all caps, and learn about punctuation. You do yourself no help by making your opinion difficult to read.
  • janicevjanicev Posts: 1
    I would like to hear others opinions on the Chevrolet Cobalt. I am in the process of having to buy a very economical car.
    Janice
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    My wife and I are not sure what color to choose for our Cobalt. We decided on a Coupe LT or SS (not supercharged). We never owned a black car before, my wife would like it black but I'm not convince yet.
    What do you think of black cars. Good choise or not.
    In the past my cars were beige, gray, red and blue. Now my wife wants black for our next car. Need some advise, negative or positive.
  • ccroyccroy Posts: 1
    I love my car, 07 Cobalt. I've already put alot of miles on it, because I'm in sales. I've bought a new mazda (the transmission blew with no warranty) and subaru (it was a bad luck car). Nothing beats my Cobalt. I took a chance on an American name, and I'm glad!
  • justus3justus3 Posts: 21
    I just purchased a new 2007 Cobalt LT Coupe last week. So far I really love the car. It's a definite improvement from the 2003 Dodge Neon that I just traded in. I really hope the Cobalt will be a better car for me than the Neon was. Time will tell.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    what type interior did you get
    I didn't get the leather interior, just the regular cloth, dark gray.
    I've owned two black vehicles and although black looks good on a vehicle, they're h*ll to keep clean. Black cars show every speck of dust. Any dark colored car shows dust though. Black is mostly just a matter of preference. My new Cobalt is burgundy colored and even that shows the dirt, but I don't care. Still love it so far.
  • i love my 2007 ls but i cant find any good parts for it, i want to get new heads and cams, any clue who makes some?
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    try gm performance they have a step by step 300hp build all parts available
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Yes they do, I think the Cobalt performance catalog is like $20-25. It has all the engine mods including special race engine blocks available. The Cobalt shattered every performance record that the Honda's Civic had established. The naturally aspirated Cobalt in 2005 beat the Civic top speed by over 30 mph, something like 220 mph, of course with modifications. Cobalts are the prefered car at the drag strip as well and win every major title. A Cobalt has seen 7-second quarter mile times, maybe even less by now.
  • hey just wanted to let you guys know about my experience with my cobalt. i just bought it about a month ago, it has 11,000 miles on it and it came with the warranties a brand new card would. so far i love the car. i live in iowa and we have hot days in the summer and cold snowy days in the winter. so far this summer i have had ice cold air conditioning. when i first bought it it had 9,500 miles on it and i left the dealership paying around 15,000 for it. ive had no problems up to this point. i have heard a lot about the key problem on the 05's and 06's but nothing on the 07's. i am 6'2" and about 250 pds. and there is plenty of room in this car for me. we were even able to fit a couple of buddies in the back seat. yes they were have the size of me, but they still fit! i do a lot of driving because im in the sales business and so far all i can say is that i love this car! i recently put tint on the rear windows and let me say it really does make the car look attractive. ive had a lot of comments so far on the car. i originially wanted to buy the cobalt ss but im glad i didn't because i got into enough trouble driving my old firebird with the ole' cops lol. i get around 29mpg in the city and about 34 mpg highway. im sorry to hear about others and the problems they have been having with there cobalts. maybe gm decided to make a lot of changes for the 07 to avoid the problems from the 06 and 05. not sure. i just know that i haven't had this much fun and reliability in a car since my old 1986 nova! :) thanks for reading my post and i hope that this post may help another customer looking for a cobalt to purchase and love for a lifetime! :)
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    What a nice post you wrote there cobalt4life. It's positive and interesting.

I'm looking forward to buying a Cobalt next year. Can't decide over the Coupe SS (not supercharged) or the Coupe LT. I've always driven Vans or S.U.V's. This would be my first car. I want (and have) to buy something more economic and the Cobalt looks just right. My only concern is winter driving. We get pretty big snowstorms here in Canada and I always wonder what's the Cobalt performance in snow, sleet and freezing rain?

Just a little question. How old are you? I'm 50 yrs old and people tell me that the Cobalt is for young people, especially the coupe model. They say at my age I should get a sedan. Where's the sport look in sedans?

By the way, with the back windows tinted and red. your Cobalt must be the nicest in town.

Take care.