Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Caravan Real World MPG

Comments

• According to my calculations the answer is 16.363636...

Precisely! Most folks are surprised how much intervals at lower mpg (higher consumption) can dominate the overall mileage...

Roger
  • Now I'm embarassad. I dug through the wastebasket and discovered that I used 90 mpg and 10 mpg instead of 90 and 9.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    My sister's 1986 Caravan had 170,000 miles when they sold it and got a Ford Explorer so they could pull a big trailer. She recently paid $ 14,500 for a nice used 2005 GC SE that had 23,000 miles on it.
    A co-worker bought a 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager used from his preacher in 1991 when it had 10,000 miles on it. It had 110,000 miles when I last saw him in 1996. He preferred it over his wife's Cadillac Sedan De Ville for long trips.
    My daughter's 1999 GC SE now has 92,000 miles on it. A friend recently traded his 2000 GC LE in on a 2006 GC SXT when it had just over 90,000 miles ( His 4th DaimlerChrysler minivan).
    My son recently traded his 2002 GC Sport in on a 2006 Sienna LE because he had to replace the transmission and the GC was now making "rubbing" noises when turning corners. I don't know how many miles it had when he traded it in. ( He got it used when it had 11,000 miles on it if I recall correctly).
  • ttwebttweb Posts: 17
    I have a 2002 T&C LXI All Wheel Drive. It is rated at 17-22 on the sticker. Mixed driving with a fair amount of stop and go and some 10 mile freeway stretches, I will get 17-18 mpg. On long freeway runs at 75 MPH I will get 21 MPG. I know at 65 MPH I would exceed the sticker ratings.
    I have had the same results over since I bought the van with 29,000 miles. I now have 73,000 on it. Over those miles I have probably spent about $1200 in non-maintenance repairs.
    Tom
  • I averaged 17 mpg on all three of my Dodges, but with ethanol being added it is going to kill mpg on mini vans.

I say, add a diesel engine, and the mini's will grow in numbers...
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I averaged 17 mpg on all three of my Dodges, but with ethanol being added it is going to kill mpg on mini vans."

Timely comment. I drove our 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 from southern New Hampshire (where I filled up with E10) to Charlotte, North Carolina yesterday for a total of 912 miles. Along the way I filled up in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area with E10 and again in central Virginia where I found 100% gasoline (E0?). I had the cruise control set at 71 for the entire trip and the following are the OBC readings for each stop:

Mileage -- Miles --- E/T -- MPG -- Fuel
    127,641-- Trip Start
    127,961 -- 319.1 -- 4:49 -- 22.4 -- E10
    128,259 -- 298.2 -- 4:28 -- 23.3 -- E10
    128,554 -- 294.8 -- 4:19 -- 26.0 -- Gasoline

Interesting huh? I'm thinking that E10 should only impact mileage by 5 to 7 percent, however, that ain't what I saw yesterday. My return trip is today (and probably tomorrow) and my plan is to fill up as soon as I get back to Virginia and then again just before I leave that state. It'll be educational. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I just traded out of a 06 Jeep Liberty CRD and into an 06 T&C. You don't want a diesel in the Mini-van until DC straightens it out. There were sensors on the vehicle that the service dept was suppose to check at every service appt. but they didn't even know they existed. Check the Libert CRD forums here for more complaints. Don't get me wrong here, I think the vehicle itself was good, they just need to train their service folks better. There just weren't enough of the small diesels out there for them to care.
  • paulwoopaulwoo Posts: 5
    My 2003 T&C has 96,000 miles and gets about 21MPG combined. I used to get 18MPG before I put Bosch Platinum IR Fusion spark plugs in this is about 15% increase for me. I do live in a hilly area of Southern California and I definitely notice smoother acceleration. It took me 20 minutes and $10 each plug.
    Bosch offers “notice the difference or you get a full refund”. I’m keeping mine.
    Next week I'm changing my oil to a Mobil 1 synthetic oil to see if I can increase it more. ;)
  • vex321vex321 Posts: 16
    Hey guys
    Picked up an 08 T&C Touring 3.8L a few days ago.
    I currently have around 200 highway city mixed miles and getting 12.9 MPG

I think my car stated 16/24 or something.

Is this normal? should it get better?
    Im on my 2nd tank of gas and it doesnt seem to get any better...

Other 08 owners , show your MPG please~
  • I cannot speak for the 2008, but I recently purchased a 2007 T&C with the same engine.

My first tank was horrible at 12.75 and I was rather upset and quite worried.

Each refill improved a little and I have now refilled about twenty-five times.

My last two refills have averaged a tad over 20 mpg.

I am not sure how typical this is.
  • bear17bear17 Posts: 5
    I bought a 2008 Town and Country Touring with the 3.8 L. 6 speed Auto in Oct. We have almost 3000 miles on it now and it is getting around 19 MPG driving both city and Hwy. It should get a little over 20 we hope when it breaks in better.
  • hans6hans6 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 GC, 3.3 ,6 cyl. After changing plugs to Bosch 4-prong, highway fuel efficiency was 27 -29 MPG. When temp drops to below 30 F fuel mileage drops to 20-22 MPG. Is this normal? I maintained tire pressure to 36 PSI.
  • Our 03 3.8L Caravan gets about 17mpg in normal city driving. However, if the trips are short and there is lots of idling, the MPGs will easily go below 14.

If I'm really determined, I can make a 15 mile cross town trip and average about 20MPGs. But that type of driving ticks a lot of other drivers off. :)

On the highway at 55-60 mph driving like a grandma it is easy to get 26-28 mpg.

Driving at 75-80, it is virtually impossible to get more than 22mpg.

Driving through Montana and Wyoming at 85-95 mph, the average was 19mpg for about 800 miles.

Conservative driving really ads MPGs. Having AC off and looking ahead really helps increase fuel economy.
  • I dont know where you live,
    But if they use ethanol in winter.
    It is not unexpected.
    Your van sounds like almost an exact mirror of our two 3.8 liter DGC from a mileage perspective. Last summer when I was taking it real easy, I managed to milk just over 500 miles from a single tank of gas (which worked out to just over 28 mpg).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    Okay, the first trip I take with the '98 DGC to Anchorage, I am going to drive five under the SL at 60 and see what I get on a tank. Aside from one, maybe two roadside stops (for breaks), it is essentially 100% highway for 350 miles. I tend to get 19 during the summer under normal local driving conditions, so I would not expect more than 21 on a trip to Anchorage. I am curious, though... :D
    Hmmm, at a steady 60 mph, even in winter temperatures, our 1998 FWD 3.8 DGC will easily get 22 or better. Keep us posted. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    The AWD system on these vans is, I am convinced, highly parasitic when it comes to fuel economy. :(
    Ah yes, I was trying to remember if your van was AWD, that would indeed make a difference. :(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    The mpg always drops in winter because of several factors having nothing to do with the addition of ethanol in the gasoline. E10 does have slightly lower energy content than E0, but this is probably a minor contribution. Isn't ethanol added to gasoline at about 6% even in the summer?

The winter factors are:

(1) Increased aerodynamic drag due to air being denser when it is colder.
    (2) Decreased traction on wet, snowy, or icy roads lowers efficiency of power transmission.
    (3) Traffic snarls in winter increase the time of trips, and cause more braking
    (4) Longer warm-up time in cold weather. Engine uses more fuel during warm-up
    (5) More idling to keep heater on for occupants remaining in the vehicle when someone goes into a convenience store