Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon AC and Heat Questions

Comments

• Problem:

My rear A/C blows really cold regularly and the front blows cool for only a couple of days after a couple cans of 134A.

Question:

Is there a leak? Are my valves clogged? Or does something need to be replaced?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Coach
  • All I can say is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!!!!!!!! My son has a 2004 GMC Yukon and first it had a short in it that was draining the battery. I got that fixed. Then the speedometer cluster went out. $600 at GM to fix it, but I found a guy on E-Bay that fixed it for $64. (Brian's Speedometer Shop-Muldrow, OK) Now the AC was blowing hot air out the driver's side and cold air on the passenger's side. I just went out and took it apart and unplugged the harnesses on the back of the AC control and it works GREAT! Thank you very much! :)
  • jking5jking5 Posts: 2
    Is this something so simple a layman can do it? I'm not sure I'd know what a harness is?
  • here's the problem.
    my a/c work's fine until it gets hot out side and the inside of the suv gets hot.
    Then the a/c wont get cold. It works on not so hot day's.
    help me. Im going to the Mojave desert next week.
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    From what you say it sounds like your A/C system refrigerant charge is low.

To check for this you would need to have refrigerant pressure checked. Normally this is easy by running the engine with A/C on MAX cool and check the pressure in the low side service port but as your truck is 1994 model it could be more complicated as you might still have the old R12 refrigerant system. I'm not sure if pressure gauges etc. are available for that system to buy without a permit.

If you have the R12 system you should have it converted to 134a system, which you can service yourself.

If you have the 134a system get a pressure gauge from a parts store. Check pressure and if low charge system but first add oil charge as it is an old system. You might also want to add a charge with O-ring conditioner as if you are low in charge then you must have a leak somewhere.

Add refrigerant until pressure is at required level.

Arrie
  • I am new here; I have been reading up on climate control issues after battery reconnect. I have tried removing Neg batt terminal to reset; would next like to try to reset module by pulling fuses. There are several that refer to front, both under hood, and on side of dashboard. Does anyone know the exact fuse that I should pull to attempt this reset. My system is blowing heat only, and I have no control over where the heat exits. Rear air is just fine.
  • Yesterday I purchase and had installed 4 new tires, had an alignment,and a complete brake job done on my 2005 z71 suburban; it was like driving a new vehicle. Shortly after I hit the road from NTB I put on the air conditioning and noticed that I had cool air conditioned air on the driver side and heat from the passenger side. Does anyone have any advice? Could the air pressure sensors in the wheels effect the electrical system and confuse climate control? Are there any components that the service tech could have messed with?
  • jbastjbast Posts: 1
    mcdaddy,

I was wondering if this fix is still working for you. I'm about to buy an '04 yukon in phoenix and a/c is super critical. I experienced this prob on a test drive yesterday. was gone after a restart but won't always be able to pull over. If good, can you give me some clues on harness/colors so I pull the right one??...

thanks,

Joe
  • Finally solved my a/c problem; tried a several things, like removing battery terminals and holding them together to drain residual voltage from processor, etc. Ended up that after removing neg terminal and putting it back in place, I turned on key, BUT DID NOT START THE YUKON. Waited a couple of minutes to let it re-program itself, then started it up. At that point, all is well. Hope this helps!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I am glad that worked out for you and thanks for sharing.

One minor point, however, you did not remove the battery terminals. You removed the battery cables. That's just so no one tries something dangerous. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I recently prurchased an 04 Yukon. I was having trouble getting the rear heater to blow hot air, then when trying it today, plenty of hot air is coming out but I can't turn it off. Any ideas?
  • Anyone know how to fix/troubleshoot rear only blowing cold air? Front works fine.
  • druthdruth Posts: 1
    Have the same problem with 2003 Yukon. Any replies ?
  • So, I read through this whole thread. I am having the same problem with one side of the car blowing the right temperature and the other side blowing the wrong temperature. I plan on trying to reset the control module later this week. But my question is this...

In looking at the car's manual, I see a left side and right side Air Temperature Door. It seems to me that this is likely the problem. Unless the control module is not sending the right information, which I suppose is a possibility. But for those who have my problem, does the simple reset work or does the problem return?
  • I am having problems in the morning warming up my truck. No matter how long I leave it running with the heater blowing full blast it still will not blow hot. Once I am on the road it eventually starts to blow hot and will get cool again will sitting at red lights. ????? Whats up!!!!
  • rshtrsht Posts: 277
    I am guessing its your thermostat stuck in the open position...
  • Greetings! I wanted to know if you fixed your rear heater issue on your Tahoe! My 03 Yukon does the same thing and when I took it to my local GMC dealer they told me it needed a rear AC control module and an actuator and would cost $600 to fox. Forget that! I went to my local Barely Used Auto parts salvage yard and picked up the parts for $50 but that did not fix the issue. Wondering what you found out with yours. Your input will be greatly appreciated!
  • drintndrintn Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I am at my wits end!! Where to begin? This 2004 GMC Yukon problem is only on drivers side front. It has dual (slide) controls. Last summer the AC would suddenly stop blowing. Each time I would stop, turn off the ignition and re start the vehicle. Problem solved every time(5 or 6). I do recall a slight "ticking" sound when this was going on. Then it stopped. Then, while using the heater, only cold air comes out of the front drivers side vents. I did some research and changed the drivers side air door actuator. I took off (+) battery terminal, unplugged actuator(#604-106), replaced actuator, plugged it in, put (+) battery terminal back on, turned on key(without starting) waited 60 or so seconds, started and....... STILL BLOWS COLD AIR!!!!!!!
  • i have been getting heating issues with my cimate control. the heat only works on full heat or 90 degrees. if i drop to 89 it turns cold. does anyone have some suggestions to fix this?
  • i see all of the post for resets. i do not know how these are done. it seems to be an electronic issue but who knows.
  • pocokpocok Posts: 5
    You need to change the inside temperature sensor (aspirator) Parts# 025903301
    You can find in the headliner above the driver head where the little vent is
  • wow, i bet you are right, i unplugged it a while ago because it was making an awful buzzing noise. i thought it was for the on star? so how do i stop the buszzing.
    edited February 2010
    "> only one way change it, just $45 and Your heating gona be work with no buzzing.
    After You change the aspirator disconect the battery for a few minute. Reconect the battery, turn on the ignition and wait min 40sec without touch any button on the heater control. After 40sec You can start the engine and adjust the temperature
    edited February 2010
    any chance you could help me with my 2004 yukon problem....i am runnin out of ideas

2004 GMC Yukon problem is only on drivers side front. It has dual (slide) controls. Last summer the AC would suddenly stop blowing. Each time I would stop, turn off the ignition and re start the vehicle. Problem solved every time(5 or 6). I do recall a slight "ticking" sound when this was going on. Then it stopped. Then, while using the heater, only cold air comes out of the front drivers side vents. I did some research and changed the drivers side air door actuator. I took off (+) battery terminal, unplugged actuator(#604-106), replaced actuator, plugged it in, put (+) battery terminal back on, turned on key(without starting) waited 60 or so seconds, started and....... STILL BLOWS COLD AIR!!!!!!!
    you have 3 actuator, right side temperature door actuator, left side temperature door actuator, mode door actuator. Witch one you allredy replaced, where is located. driver side under the dash, right side under the dash or top of the dash under the dash cover
  • I have replaced the module and the actuator and still have no heat in the rear of the vehicle. Any ideas?
    when the engine is hot check the auxiliary heater hoses temperature. If is OK inspect the air temperature door, open and close when you change the temperature
    If not move out the actuator and check the door moving fee with hand. If is OK probably the auxiliary inside temperature sensor the problem
    I replaced the drivers side actuator under the dash.
    this actuator control the air direction. The driver temperature door actuator located right side under the dash behind the center console. You need to check this actuator
    thank you, i will look for that one and change it out.