Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Fuel and Fuel System Questions

1235»

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    You don't have to know the size of the tank, to figure mileage. do it this way. 1) Fill the tank (stop pumping at the first click) 2) reset the trip odometer (before you drive off) 3) drive till the low fuel light comes on (or when ever you like) 4) Stop at the same gas pump as before (if possible) and fill the tank again 5) Before you drive off !!!!, note how many gallons it took to fill the tank (from the gas pump), and how many miles are on the trip odometer. 6) Divide the miles by the gallons to get miles per gallon. Example: 380 miles divided by 13 gallons would equate to 29.23, or a little more than 29 miles per gallon.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Elroy is exactly right. Tank size is completely irrelevant to determining actual fuel mileage. Use that method (I do) and you'll get accurate mileage, assuming your odometer reads correctly.
  • well, sure I understand that formula, and have used it, however my main concern is the actual capacity of the fuel tank, I was hoping there was some standardization and that someone could let me in on it.

THanks
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 815
    The capacities for an 1984 Accord listed in a repair manual:

oil w/filter 3.7 Qts
    trans 5-Spd 5.0 Qts
    trans auto 6.0 Qts
    Fuel 15.8 Gal
    Cooling system 6.4 Qts

Mrbill
  • i just bought a a 1990 accord, my car stopped running shortly after i checked the pump its running fine i spray starter fluid into the fuel injectors it starts but dies shortly after, any ideas?
1235»