Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona Gas Mileage

ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
With gas prices escalating, the mpg issue becomes more and more important. Share your actual mileage numbers with other Sedona drivers here.

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• geogeo Posts: 23
    Now getting 22-25 on Highway and 14-18 in town with a very short driving distance to work. George in Wisconsin
  • betht27betht27 Posts: 28
    So far around 14-15 rural driving/small town, noticed approx 20 MPG today on turnpike only. Got better on my commutes to work with my 2002 than I am on my 2006. Very disappointed so far in the gas mileage. I guess that is why they call them estimates on the window stickers.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Posts: 90
    Some people report getting pretty good gas mileage, and some report getting very low mileage, below the estimated mileage on the sticker, all from the very same vehicle. Did anyone ever consider that maybe people's DRIVING HABITS could be a big part of that? For example, does the driver take off quickly from stoplights and then drive full speed up to 10 yds from a red stoplight before hitting the brakes; does the person tailgate so they hit the gas, hit the brakes, hit the gas, etc; do they look ahead down the road and leave space between them and the next car so that they can just take their foot off of the gas when traffic slows; on the highway do they drive 65, 70, 75, 80; do they use their cruise control or are they the types that slow down going up hill and speed up going down hill; do they keep a cell phone glued to their head so that they don't keep track of their speed? The list could go on. But all of that can mean a difference of several miles per gallon. Unless you know how each person drives, the gas mileage figures they give are meaningless.

Also, while I would not have believed this in the past, I have seen it with my cars that an engine is not really broken in, and you don't get your best mileage until the engine has several thousand or maybe even tens of thousands of miles on it.
  • akoliveakolive Posts: 20
    hrngffcr,
    All very good points about gas mileage. And your very correct that bad driving habits can and will adversely affect it.
    In our case, we never drive over 65, Alaska roads can't handle it and though my wife's driving isn't perfect, it isn't bad either.
    However, the van is getting 4 - 4.5 mpg less than the bottom EPA figure. I agree motors / and the vehicle itself (disk breaks) do break in but it is my experience with the new motors (really don't have a break in period) is that at best one or two mpg increase. That still leaves our van well below the bottom EPA rating.
    So what?
    Well I used that rating in determining the purchase of the van. If they printed 15 mpg, I would not have bought it, I would have spend the extra $2K for the Sennia.
    My two cents.
    Peter
  • b9driverb9driver Posts: 118
    Well I used that rating in determining the purchase of the van. If they printed 15 mpg, I would not have bought it, I would have spend the extra $2K for the Sennia. >>>

My friend owns a new Sienna and he gets no better mileage than the Sedona and the Sienna has an obvious lack of power. We get about 22 MPG on the highway and 17-18 around town. You don't buy a giant mini van with a big engine and expect great economy, but the Sedona is just as good as my Subaru Tribeca was and it's quite a bit more powerful due to the torque.

RB
    However, some people do buy vans and cars based on EPA estimates of fuel economy. Automotive dealers use them as a selling point. I understand key word, estimate. But to be off by so much is not acceptable, IMO. I owned a 2002 Sedona, with the same driving habits that I used when driving that, I get 2-3 MPG less with the 2006. We all know the 2006 is estimated to get more fuel economy.
  • akoliveakolive Posts: 20
    Very well put betht27.
    I would be happy with the 17-18mpg that RB's friends are getting with the Sennia which is what the rating indicated. With the options and the price I figured the Sedona would be a wash with the Sennia over time because of what I figured (based on the rating) it would get in mileage. Not at @ 14.5mph though. :cry:
    I know whaaaa.
    My point is, I just wish those ratings were more accurate. With the 06 being a new model there was little in the way of other information to base our decision on.
    4 cents more per mile to drive adds up fast.
  • At 3800 miles we are experienced a best tank at 24.8 MPG while steady highway driving, a low of 17.5 MPG in town. We only use regular fuel. Our biggest challenge is to keep from enjoying the 240+ horsepower this van has, and we have found a direct correlation between how deep we put our foot into it and the mileage. Whatever the cost, the fun is worth it!!
  • I own a 2005 Sedona. I had the same problem with fuel milage and the dealer said it had to break in. Well at 35,000 miles I figured that was all the break in it was going to get, and I was just above 15mpg. I got so mad one day I open the hood and took the air filter housing off and went for a drive. Wow what an improvement on how it responded. I went to my nearest car parts store and bought a cone filter and a tailpipe piece. I stuck the airfilter on one end of the tailpipe and the other end put it to the intake manifold. I now get just a touch above 17mpg with a full 1200 lb of cargo plus my 200lb body. I think that is pretty darn good. I am talking going around town, lots of stop and go, and doing about 25mph. When I am driving around with not as much stuff but around town I get just above 18mpg.
  • smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    A loaded Kia Sedona, in good tune, tire pressure up, good oil
    change, good air filter , will get 20 MPG at high speed.

With the KN filter I could visualize 22 MPG.

The Sedona will most certainly cruise at + 85 MPH in the western states.

like the country western song says
    "Don't aks me how I know."

Hey , the speedometer does work up to the farthest indicator.
  • With 4,000 miles, our mileage varies between 17.8 MPG city and 24.8 MPG highway. Both are with regular fuel.
    The Caravan is demonstrably more reliable and durable than the Grand Caravan - with mostly identical driveline components. Whether this will be true for the Sedona remains to be seen.>>>

This is more a result of how the Grand Caravan is used. People who buy a bigger van are likely to use it for carrying a lot more. It takes more than a few hundred pounds to effect service. On the other hand, I wouldn't trust any American Made van to be reliable after my family had two Caravans. Never again will I buy American. Never. And building better cars won't matter. GM and Chrysler OWE me at least 2-3 cars first. Think they'll pay?

Capt RB
    NY
    how many wine bottles & Beer cans have you lost out the Stern? First larger Boat I've seen without a Transom (of sorts) not counting the 12 meters. Plus, one of your pics must have been in winter, or delivery, I see NO Boom!! >>>

Thanks...she actually has an enclosed stern section. The pic without boom is from Spring launch. This is what we Kia drivers did in NY last night....
    http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/lizjonsuzweby.jpg

Capt RB
    NY
  • I must eat crow, I don't know how I messed up my first two tanks calculations but the third and fourth tanks I got estimates almost exactally like yours (17.78 in the city, 24.5 on the highway).
    I am very happy to be wrong on this one. Of course, there is a chance that there was something causing the bad mileage initially... anything is possible. Praise the Lord
    Peter
  • Sure hope my mileage goes up soon, seeing roughly 16 right now on very rural driving, not much stop and go at all. 2000 miles now on the van. I've raised the air pressure slightly on the Kumhos to see if that improves it any.
  • Hi i wanted to reply to your post. I to have a 2005 kia sedona ex. with 8,700 on it. I averaged 15 mpg or worse. Then i came across the magic fuel additive. CLEAN STRIP ACITONE. You can buy this at any hardware store. Add in the amount of 2 ounces per 10 gallons in your fuel tank right after each fill up. My mpg went from 15 to 20 mpg.I was thinking about doing the same thing with my air filter for a long time. Cold air intakes usually decrease fuel milage and increase low end responce. I would like to know if after a few tank fulls of gas if your mpg went up on average or down. Syncdram
  • My milage has settled at about 17.5 in town and around 19.5 for highway. I will have to remember to buy this acitone stuff and see what it is like. Thanks for the tip
  • rierie Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Kia Sedona EX van that overall I have been very pleased with. My problem, 10 days ago, while at a stop sign, we were hit from behind and now the tailgate has to be replaced. We were to get a new one from dealer thru our body shop, but it is backordered for a month-ins. co. not wanting to pay for our rental that long-found a used OK shape 2004 tailgate at a salvage yard and had it sent to body shop. Have there been any problems with rust on this year Sedonas? What does this do to my warranty with Kia? IE-warranty on wiper, rear defrost, also? It has to be painted to match my van's color.
  • joancjoanc Posts: 26
    Hello..
    ...Glad you guys are o.k. and that nobody was hurt, I'm presuming. Just out of curiousity (and I know this is kind of off-topic), how did your van do in your accident? Did it protect you pretty well..holding up as you thought it should? Just curious as we sometimes have our kids in the 3rd row seats! Thanks..