Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona Gas Mileage

Comments

• Update...

My last tank I got 17.4 MPG rural driving. Havent had it really in town or on the highway that tank. So it is getting a little better but that may be to raising the tire pressure to 37psig per tire.
  • rierie Posts: 2
    Thank you for your concern. My daughter was in the 2nd row directly behind me, my husband in the passenger's seat, I was the driver and we all got some neck, shoulder, rib, and back pain and 'soft tissue' bruising-me the most. But nothing life threatening-noone was in the 3rd row, but the van was not damaged up to the seat area-damage to liftgate below the glass and all bumper parts have to be replaced and damage to rear floorboard where we put groceries that they couldn't see 'til removed liftgate & bumper. It's still at our body shop-my husband talked to them and they did manage to find a new '05 liftgate out of town, so they're painting that now. I seldom have my kids in the 3rd row. We were stopped at a stop sign when hit by a 4 door(dual cab)pickup. I gather we were his brakes. I really like my van, and think it did a great job of protecting my precious cargo (my family). It could always be so much worse! It was good that we were sitting up so high, too; I think there would have been so much more damage if we had been in a car. Sorry I couldn't help more on the 3rd row info-no damage to it, but don't know if the neck-back, etc. stuff would have been better or worse for a passenger there.
  • joancjoanc Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info and glad you guys are ok! We love our van, too, and it sounds like yours did a good job of protecting you. Hopefully you'll never have it put to the test again.. :)
  • dpughdpugh Posts: 14
    Purchased the van three weeks ago and have 3300kms and are averaging 38.4mpg.. that is the combined urban/highway driving. As the diesel engine settles down this should improve. Very happy so far!!!
  • Now up to about 18 MPG, rural driving. Have about 2400 miles on the van, going to give it another 1000 or so then get first oil change. Some minor problems with the vibration on the tires and a noise in the driver side door. Now that the mileage is getting better, we are quite pleased with the van.
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    Purchased the van three weeks ago and have 3300kms and are averaging 38.4mpg.. that is the combined urban/highway driving. As the diesel engine settles down this should improve. Very happy so far!!!

Great fuel economy!

Is this miles per Imperial gallon (used in Canada, UK and I suppose other British commonwealth countries)? 1 galUK = 1 galC = 1.201 galUS or 1.2 for most purposes. If so, the US equivalent is 38.4/1.2 = 32.0 mpgUS, which is great!

Personally I prefer the European system of giving litres of fuel required to go 100 km or L/100 km. There are two reasons to prefer the European system:

(1) It uses the metric system so you don't have to worry about which gallon is being referred to.

(2) Expressing this as fuel use divided by distance (instead of distance divided by fuel use) tells people more directly what they want to know.

But the conversion is easy. Divide the mpgUK value into 282 to get L/100km. And do exactly the same thing to do the conversion the other way--divide the L/100km value into 282 to get the mpgUK.

For converting between mpgUS and L/100km in either direction divide the one you have into 235 to get the other.

So if your van is getting 38.4 mpgUK this is 282/38.4 = 7.34 L/100 km.

And if your van is getting 32.0 mpgUS, then it is getting 235/32.0 = 7.34 L/100 km.

For comparison, my 1989 Dodge Caravan 2.5L 5-spd manual often got 29 mpgUS on the highway. This is 235/29 = 8.1 L/100km.
    hi jim, the figure of 38+mpg is the US mpg as opposed to the British Imperial Gallon system. I am currently stationed in Germany hence the use of kilometers and not miles. I purchased the European Carnival (Sedona)as I really wanted the Diesel engine I have to come clean and admit that i did the conversion on line at:

http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/conversion/litres_per_100k

I am gonna bring the car back to michigan at the end of my tour. Its gonna be interesting to see how much longer the diesel engine lasts in comparison to the gas van. Be glad to send you photos if you want them??
    So did you calculate the L/100km value or does the van have a computer that does that automatically? 38.4 mpgUS is equivalent to 6.12 L/100km. That is great mileage. What is the transmission? Does it have a/c? Who makes this diesel engine? What's the horsepower and torque?

Volvo makes some 2.4L 5-cyl diesels that get this fuel economy or better in the V70, but they are not currently available in the US. Volvo doesn't offer any automobile diesel in the US. The Volvo UK website claims 51.4 mpgUK (5.5 L/100km, 43 mpgUS) for the highway fuel use with a 6-speed manual tranny, and claims 44 mpg UK (6.4 K/100 km, 37 mpgUS)with a 6-speed "geartronic" automatic.

Will you be allowed to import this vehicle to the US without making additions to qualify it under the latest US EPA "tier and bin" limits?
    The van does not have a computer, the oem installed units are inaccurate to say the least. It has a 5 speed manual transmission, aircondioning as standard. The kia salesman told me that Kia builds the diesel engine themselves, i think there was a lot of borrowing from hyundai and D/C on this one, although its hard to pin anyone down ;)

Its crazy that volvo which is a Ford daughter company does not offer diesel in the US. That being said, the oil companies are not happy with the impact of Bio Diesel and the subsidies that it currently gets. Time will tell. I have the EPA hurdle to cross. The van is fitted with a Diesel Particle Filter which is 'next generation' in terms of adhering to environmental regs. I have to look into that issue asap. But then i can always try and put canadian tags on it ;)
    Do European countries limit the number of imported Japanese and Korean vehicles by using import duties or other means? I haven't kept up, but I thought this was the case at one time.

The US used to limit the importation of Japanese cars under by "voluntary" restrictions, but this was say 20 years ago, before the Japanese built so many assembly plants in the US. But I thought the European protectionism of their domestic auto industry was even greater than in the US. How common are these Kia minivans in Germany?
  • smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    I think you can import a car once as a car collector, under the loop holes in the EPA/ NHTSA regulations. They allow collectors to bring in one car per family. If you want to bring in a bunch of them you have to setup a shop and modify the engine to meet the tests they apply and then submit for testing. The specialty car guys do that for the italian cars.
    thanks for the information, sure good to know. I am gonna get my brother to look into further whilst I am over here. Thanks for the advice..... :D
    There are no limitations on the number of imported vehicles, from anywhere worldwide. The EU polititians in their wisdon calls it free trade or healthy competition, depends how much spin they want to put on it at the time. In Stuttgart Daimler Chrysler is laying thousands of workers off...Kia are building a prodction facility in Slovakia (eastern europe) to cash in on the sweat shop wage costs. Similar to NAFTA, the EU Free Trade Area is all about making products cheap in the 3rd world and selling them expensively in established markets.

Each individual country within the EU has its own Sales Tax or VAT, Germany is currently 16.5% rising to 19.5% next year.

The germans are similar to the french, very patriotic. They buy mercedes and VW as its a status symbol that must be adhered to at all costs, after all what would the neighbors say with a kia on the driveway????

:D :D :D :D
  • 2004 Sedona EX
    High of 22mpg on longer trips and 18mpg average with mix of highway and lower speed diving on secondary highways. 5% stop and go driving.

Average highway speed 65mph, secondary roads 40mph.

A low MPG of 14.5 which is only happened a couple of times. Lots and lots of AC use this summer.

That diesel and 32mpg sure sounds nice. I wonder if Kia will break out of the mold and offer a diesel in the USA?
  • I have 950 miles on my 2006 KIA Sedona EX and am averaging 11.5 MPG overall. I drive about 80% city and that's killing the mileage. On the highway I can see as much as 28 MPG and if that were the whole story I'd be thrilled with that. Unfortunately, in city driving I'm only getting between 6.6 and 9 MPG. I've never experienced anything like this. The dealership and KIA claim that I have to break-in the vehicle. Now, I understand the need for break-in but from what I have seen I can only expect to get about 10-15% increase in mileage during a 5000 mile break-in period. That only adds about 1 MPG to city driving. In the meantime gas is costing me a small fortune. I calculated that if all things stay the same that it will cost an additional $13,000 over a 10 year vehicle life, to fuel this puppy. That's above and beyond the EPA ratings for the cost of fuel. After a lot of trying to get the dealership and KIA to listen to my plight I got a KIA factory representative to go for a fuel consumption drive with me and the results bear out my stated mileage. However, after the rep gave the results to some engineers there is no agreement on the possible causes and the only recommendation is to continue to break-in the vehicle and test it again after it has 1500+ miles on it. I'm glad to have gotten the recommendation to see if mileage improves, but certainly it doesn't take a genius to see that the mileage isn't going to improve any significant amount for city driving and that it would have to improve by about 10 MPG just to be in the ballpark of what should be the expected city mileage. In the meantime I'm shoveling out a lot of extra dough for gas that shouldn't be necessary. My driving habits are not the culprit since I don't jackrabbit start, tailgate, ride the brake or have any other fuel eating bad habits. The tires have been inflated to the rated 44 psi and there is no heavy load placed on the vehicle.

Does anyone have any possible explanation for such a wide mileage gap between highway and city and such horrible mileage in the city in general. Any help is greatly appreciated. :confuse:

Thanks in advance.
  • only one solution. Hope it gets stolen. I have had the exact problem but my dealership said it was my driving habit. I put a cone filter on it and that seemed to improve it to around 15 in the city. The biggest problem these vans have is they weigh in at around 3800 pounds. You have to literally baby it off of the stop light until you are about 35mph.
    Hi Folks, well the engine has settled down, currently getting approx 34.3 mpg, an even mix of urban/highway driving. Kia says that using Bio-Diesel will invalidate my warranty so I have to stick with the petroleum based diesel. Not happy about that, but will look into it further. Kia could not give me a reason why, which would have been nice. Take care :cry: :cry:
    Does Kia not approve of even low levels of biodiesel in petrodiesel, like B5? One of the big uses of biodiesel may turn out to be an additive at a few percent to improve lubricity of ULSD, ultra low sulfur diesel. A secondary benefit of biodiesel might be as an "oxygenate" to decrease emissions similiar to the use of ethanol in gasoline.

The energetics of production of biodiesel and the fact that its production from purpose grown crops competes with the use of arable land for food, for animal feed, and for natural wild vegetation, means that biodiesel can not supply a major part of the world's diesel fuel needs.
    I came accross the clause in the vehicle handbook that states: 'any use of biodiesel, irrelevant of quantity/mixture will invalidate the kia warranty in full with no exception'. leaves little doubt for interpretation, and, the service desk at kia told me the same thing. Even from an enviornmental stand point it would be doing my little bit for the environment, even mixing it as B5 like you suggest. Lets see what reply I get from Kia HeadOffice, if any?? :D :D
  • New 06 owner here. I have only driven around 750 miles so far and my driving has only been city driving with short spurts of highway driving. My mileage has been 17.5 so far looking forward to it getting a shade better. My old pontiac montana would get 20 in the city and 26 on the highway. The new sedona is much nicer though.

I was looking to put a K&N air filter in, but so far they don't make one for the 06. I bought an 05 filter in hopes that it would fit, but no luck with that. It seems there are not very many aftermaket parts available for the 06 sedona yet. I am sure that will change soon.