Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord I4 vs V6

Comments

• dolfan1dolfan1 Posts: 216
    I think it's also helpful to remember the purpose of this forum. It isn't about which is superior, because there is no answer to the question because the question itself is irrelevant. To a prospective buyer wondering what would be the right choice, all we need to do post what we like about our choice and the prospective buyer can make the decision which choice is best for them.

I chose the V6 because I wanted the extra power. How often do I need it? Practically never. When I do travel my cruise is set between 75 and 80, and I'm quite sure the 4 would be able to handle that without any difficulty whatsoever. With all the practical angles (economy, usable power, etc) I would not argue the 4 is a more practical choice, and as grad indicated the reason why so many more of them are sold compared to the six.

So for you prospective buyers, read through the forum, figure out what arguments apply to your situation and buy accordingly. Happy motoring!
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Dunno re " heavenly",but the 6 speed V6 coupe is FAST! Motor trend just tested one that ran 14.0 @ 102.5! The other benefit of the 6 speed coupe is that the 3.5 is non VCM. I think the auto trans with obligatory VCM runs about 15.0 @ 97.
  • agree with your post. I never drove the Accord V6, but someone I know once told me that he has driven both the 7th Gen V6 and a BMW 745i, and he actually prefers driving the AccordV6. He said the Honda was more of a blast to drive, even though the bimmer had more hp.

The 4 however, has enough power and is the logical choice for most people. I personally think the little 2.4 in the Accord is an amazing motor, I once 'stuffed' around ~900 lbs of weight (5 people + luggage) in the car and amazingly, it could still go without trouble. I've also got up to the speed of around 90mph(with only me in the car) on the highway without much trouble, and I felt it could still go higher, but I was just a little scared lol. :P The V6 does have it's benefits besides the superior highway passing power though. Sometimes when I go uphill with the car fully loaded, especially with A/C on, the 4 feels quite a bit strained. This won't be the case I'm sure, with the 6.

Lastly, a note about the 'grocery getter' comment, a lot of 4cyl Accord buyers(besides me though, but I'm no typical Accord buyer) could probably afford the V6 as well if they really wanted it. They just opted the 4cyl because it's the more sensible option. Lower fuel costs, lower insurance, lower maintainence upkeep etc. The V6 is more fun but that is not really the top priority to most Accord buyers. To me, unless it's frequently used as a family hauler or taken on trips(loaded with passengers+ luggage), the 4 is plenty enough for and the most logical choice for most people with commuting and 'grocery getting' purposes. :)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Yep, I had to take my family on its vacation to Florida last summer in my 06 Accord SE, about 16hrs or so away. We had 5 people in the car, Me and my sis in the back, and little sister which is 12 in the middle in the back seat, mom and dad in the front. They drove my car more than I did on the trip! Which felt very weird, not too often am I a passenger in my own car, but it really let me feel out my own car. We had a full trunk full of luggage, including, sand toys, boogie boards. We all felt snug in the car, but really felt quite comfortable in it. We really all had enough room to move a bit, it was not bad at all.

The 4cyl engine did great, even through Tennessee mountains, and down into Alabaman, with the A/C on the whole way. It really didn't show any signs the we were in the car with that much weight. It loves to be wound up, and my mom loved to get up and go, and I kid you not she squealed the tires with us all in it, were like Wow, take it easy mom! My mom was like , this car has some power. She isn't however used to the brakes which are quite stiff, and barely have to push them.
    I was very impressed with the power, and the gas mileage was amazing, I think really we only spent like $160 if that, on gas total for the whole trip. I think we drove from indiana to like nearly Alabama without stopping. I have been nothing, but impressed with it, and I think time has only made it much better, as crazy as it sounds.

Sometimes, I take er out on the interstate, and let it run, and I am always impressed, even at 80, it is so calm, no shakes, doesn't feel like your going that fast, and the steering it awesome. It is literally like you could keep going faster. It is so smooth and stable. I love driving the interstate. My car does drive alot of highway going 60mph, about 85% of the time. I am sure thats good for the engine!

I will take our trip in my car again this summer, I'll have the 08 accord by then, so we'll see how that stacks up.

Well, there you go... my experience.
  • Lastly, a note about the 'grocery getter' comment, a lot of 4cyl Accord buyers(besides me though, but I'm no typical Accord buyer) could probably afford the V6 as well if they really wanted it. They just opted the 4cyl because it's the more sensible option. Lower fuel costs, lower insurance, lower maintainence upkeep etc. The V6 is more fun but that is not really the top priority to most Accord buyers. To me, unless it's frequently used as a family hauler or taken on trips(loaded with passengers+ luggage), the 4 is plenty enough for and the most logical choice for most people with commuting and 'grocery getting' purposes.

Yep, the whole "grocery getter" insult for a 4 vs. a V6 is silly. If I see an Accord going by on the street, I basically think "generic reliable McCar", I don't look for dual exhausts or the V6 emblem and somehow think "oh, well he's a real enthusiast" if I see them. Anyone who's snobbish about sports sedans won't even notice an Accord - they'll only pay attention to the German stuff, or maybe a TL, TSX, G35, or IS.

That said, I'm buying a leftover '07 V6 6MT EX-L tomorrow. It'll be replacing a BMW 5 Series as my daily driver. It won't approach the fun of taking the 5MT 5 through the mountains where I live, but it'll be comfortable, reliable, and spacious, in each case more so than the BMW, and at the leftover price I'm paying, it'll cost about 40% of a new 6 cyl. 5 series (30% of a 550i). With the V6 and 6MT (and eventually aftermarket suspension bits), it'll also be enough fun that I won't miss the 5 too much, and I'll either sell that car or relegate it to weekend fun status. I don't kid myself that it's in the same class, however - it's an Accord, and I'm buying it for it's Accord-esque virtues, which are excellent. After years of German cars, my friends are baffled at this move - one said that I'm "getting in touch with my inner bland". That's okay, for what I want it for it's absolutely perfect, and I'm looking forward to driving it every day for years. If I wanted a sports sedan, I'd buy one; that's not what the Accord is, and that's fine with me.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    I'm kind-a chuckling . . . . . . In the last three posts, there have been two comments about how Accords even feel good going 80 or 90mph. . . . "It is literally like you could keep going faster."

I'm not poking fun - promise -- its just a difference in where you drive. I live in the great state of Wyoming where the "men are men and the sheep are nervous . . . . " Wait --wrong joke! :blush: There are lots of very long, very smooth, very deserted roads in Wyoming. I always put very good tires on my Accords and, lets just say, it is "literally like you could keep going faster . . . ." :shades: Lots faster . . .
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I have an 03 V6, and I have only gone over 100mph once (passing two 18 wheelers on the interstate). I don't race other cars from stop lights either, so it's not about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times either. Where I live, there are a lot of long stretches of road with gradual curves, and double yellow lines. There are few opportunities to pass, so you have to make the most of them. You can get behind a car going 45 in a 55 very often, and be stuck there for miles. It's not that I take chances, because a 4 cylinder could make most of the passes I do. It's just soooo much easier with the 6 cylinder engine under the hood. Half the time, when I pass I don't have to "floor it" to get a good response. The extra power makes for more relaxed passing. I don't have to anticipate as much, and get a run on the car I'm about to pass.

If I would have decided on the 4 cylinder Accord, I'm sure I would be completely satisfied with it, but the V6 has spoiled me over the past 5 years, so I would have a tuff time going back to a 4 cyl. now.
    "There ain't no replacement for displacement".
  • catmikecatmike Posts: 35
    Ditto to you thoughts Rob... I just has the same experience..... with no regrets........

mike
    You're exactly right about the sports sedan angle. If "fun to drive" was at the top of my priority list, for around the same money I probably would have opted for a WRX or perhaps a Mazda 3Speed. A previous poster called the V6 Accord an "autobahn car", and though I didn't entirely agree I acknowledged he had a good point.

I wanted a car with bulletproof reliability, a proven track record (no, not race track), an affordable price tag, reasonably economical, etc etc, that also had plenty of uummph if I wanted it for whatever reason (usually, theres no reason at all = just feel like getting on the gas once in awhile). After spending months and countless hours studying various makes and models, I decided the best car to fit the bill was the Accord V6. End of story.

But I must say I'm shocked you found a leftover 07 6MT still on the lot. Yea, I think you'll be pretty satisfied. Wish I could have done that, but there is NOOOO way the wife will drive a stick. So have fun.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    That's just the difference in us (and there's nothing wrong with that). You like having more power than you need. I look at a V6 as wretched excess. "Why buy what I'll never use?" That's my question, and how I look at things. With the 4-cyl, I rarely floor the loud pedal, but when I do it performs how I need it to. For that 2% of times when I need to floor it to get around a slow car or get out into traffic, I do it. The engine's made for it, the iVtec makes pleasing sounds, and it requires no actual effort on my part. For the other 98%, I have a car that is very responsive around town, plenty powerful for interstate cruising and lane-jockeying, and gets better mileage than the V6.

I'm not arguing against ya elroy, just presenting the other side of the coin. We both know each of us picked the right engine for us. :)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    We both know each of us picked the right engine for us.

Right grad. :) I'm glad we have a choice now. Back in 91, I had no choice. The 4th gen Accord came in I4, and that's it. It was a light car, so 140hp did ok, but there were times I wanted more.
    "Wretched excess"? Come on grad. Of all the people on this forum your posts are usually the most well written and thought out. But wretched excess? What does that make BMW's, Mercedes, heck - Acura TL's! There is nothing wrong with someone who wants the extra power of the 6 in an Accord. I don't think you meant to suggest there was, but that sure was a curious choice of words.
  • liaisonliaison Posts: 47
    I agree that the V6 MT6 is an awesome vehicle to drive. Had a chance to buy one in January and were it not for the Mrs. having to shift would have pulled the trigger. Would have been a great car for my mid life crisis. Ended up buying an 07 EX-L V6A with less than 5000 miles and absolutely love the way it handles. I traded a 4cyl Camry which at times just did not seem to have enough power. Would really notice it when using cruise going up hills. The V6 Accord never has to surge to go up hills like the Camry did. One thing I have noticed is the rear window defogger does not work near as well as the Camry's. Favorite feature is the XM radio. Never listen to local stations anymore.
    Cut me some slack. I said I look at the V6 as wretched excess, meaning "for me."

If, to me, my 130hp '96 Accord is adequate, and my 166hp Accord is fast, the V6 is overly excessive in power; I barely use what I've got in the 4-cyl!

And, you're right, I didn't suggest there was anything wrong with those who prefer more powerful vehicles. My parents are shopping for a V6 midsize/full-size car right now because they want lots of power on the highway (their other car for running around is a 2007 Civic EX, so this new car will be a comfy highway runner for trips.
    No slack. :) The V6 is much more smooth and the passing is night and day easier. You won't go back to the 4,once you experience the 6.
    Alright now blufz, this is what I was referring to in post 265. Let's don't have a "Ken-L Ration" discussion = My choice is better than your choice, my choice is better than yours.....(sing along)
    It's a personal preference. Period. I don't consider myself smarter than the other guy who chose the 4, nor do I think I'm being wasteful compared to 4 driver.

I wasn't trying to be over-critical grad. As I said I think you probably have the most thoughtful posts in these Accord forums. It's just when I read that phrase it hit a nerve. I realize you were talking about yourself, but if it's a wretched excess for you, I think there is the implication it's a wretched excess, period. That's just the way it hit me, and I think a lot of others who opted for the 6.
    But in the end, no biggie. Looking forward to your future posts throughout the Accord forums.
    Been there, experienced that (a 2003 3.0L Accord on a 600 mile trip). Got the 4.

:D
    I realize you were talking about yourself, but if it's a wretched excess for you, I think there is the implication it's a wretched excess, period.

Sorry it came off like that, because that's not how it was meant in any way. The V6 is a great motor in a great car. It's just more motor than I care to pay for, because the 4-cyl is much more than adequate for me as it is.

I don't do lots of high-speed driving in high-traffic areas, so the V6 is pretty unnecessary.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    You won't go back to the 4,once you experience the 6.

For some of us, once we experience the power AND mileage of the 4, we wouldn't think about getting a 6. ;) And that doesn't even factor in the initial cost.