Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord I4 vs V6

Comments

• dolfan1dolfan1 Posts: 216
    Something is definitely awry here. My 07 SE V6 gets better than that cruising 77 - 80 mph. Sounds like you might need a trip to the dealer & have a talk with the Service Dept.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Seriously, I took a 200 mile trip (total 100 mi each way) highway cruising, AC locked out, 60F outdoor temp, and no faster than 68mph = 24mpg.

Seriously, you must have a problem. :sick: I got 24mpg on my last tank, around town, with an 03 V6. There is something wrong with this picture. :surprise:
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 490
    Check out this link link title

100 posts regarding '08 poor gas mileage.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    This is why people go to the dealer and test drive cars, I said it once in one of my messages, when you test drive a car tell the sales man to shut up and do not turn the radio on when driving, turn the AC on and off whether if it's in the winter or summer to see if there is any real difference in the power that is drained from the engine, push the envelope drive the car hard hit the passing gears as much as possible, drive on a high way to hear for wind noises and passing gear responses and then head for a bumpy road with alot of stop signs, test both engines, when you leave the dealer go back to another dealer in a few days and start all over again you second ride will answer some of your new thoughts.
    Hey I went from a V6 200hp 05 Malibu to the 177 hp Accord LXP.
    However I love the hard 4cyl sound of less gas being used in the city big time from 15MPG in the 05 Malibu to 20MPG for the 08 Accord and it only has 300 miles on it so far.
    Just a note: The torque is pretty good there is only one pound of foot pressure differntial between the 177hp vs the 190hp and I drove them both a small difference, I guess it depends on what your driving needs are.
    Wow, that is very interesting.
    The city mileage on my 07 V6 isn't anything to brag about (nor did I expect it to be any better than it is), but I have been pleased with the hwy mileage.
  • malmouzamalmouza Posts: 141
    No offense guys, I just don't understand why people buy the V6 engine? we are talking about a sedan not a truck. The new Accord weight between 4000 and 4500 lb. the V4 is good match for this car. I own the I4 with 190 horses, manual trans. I can kick from 0 to 60 in 7.4 seconds. I do not need more than that. If I needed the speed I will go for BMW M3, or cheap WRX, or mazda speed3. But I wanted a sedan with good gas mileage, smooth ride, and enough space to carry 4 adults with luggages. I use to own the 1998 accord with only 150 horses, and when I race some of the V6, they struggle to pass me, in the first 1/8 of mile. I managed couple time to get between 28 and 34 MPG on my 08 accord in mixed driving. But the truth, I am not putting too much load on the engine right now, until the break in period is over. You'll need the V6 if you're going to tow trailer behind your car, if that the case, you made the wrong choice, it would have been better if you bought ridgeline truck it comes already equipped with the towing package. The V6 does not make any sense to have it in a sedan. This is one of the reason Honda failed delivering a cheap hybrid vehicle that deliver good gas mileage for the accord, and discontinued it. If they did use the 4 cylinder engine coupled with the electric motor, they would have been selling that car like hot cake, but they were thinking about competing against the Civic hybrid. They lost market share to the Camry hybrid, and the Altima hybrid, both are selling well. My advice to people who are about to buy honda accord, is to think if they need the car for racing on the street, or just for getting from point A to point B, in style, and comfort?? I hope this help understand some of the issues, and concerns I heard in this forum. No offense to anybody. lol
  • whampa65whampa65 Posts: 36
    Just to respond to what you said about buying the V6 as I'm one of those people, I personally bought the V6 because after test driving both the I4 and the V6 I personally liked the smoothness of the V6. I thought the I4 was much louder. I think it's all up to what's most important to you as a consumer. I sure didn't buy the Accord because I thought it was a sports car and wanted to race people up and down the street. I personally am very pleased to be getting 28 mpg on the highway and plan to keep my V6 for many years. Happy driving!!!!!
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Interestingly, I own the I4 and disagree with you to a certain extent. You likely like the I4 because you mated it with a manual transmission. That is, indeed, a match made in heaven!!!! Like you, I had a 98 I4 with the manual (150hp) that really had a lot of get-up-and-go! Unfortunately, this new 08, with an automatic and no way to shift out of 5th gear without going into 3rd, kind of sucks! My I4 does not have enough HP and torque at highway RPMs to keep it from having to downshift on every little hill. I realize many people don't mind that, but I do! I just wish I could select 4th gear, slow down a bit, and let the thing cruise. The v6 likely has enough low-end umph to keep it from having to shift gears all the time and perhaps has enough power to maintain speed in 5th gear. Plus, as mentioned above, it is a smoother engine. I would only pick the I4 engine again if I could have it in a manual -- and in that event, for my style of driving, I do agree that it is a better choice than the V6.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Posts: 273
    Your right about the V6 not needing to downshift at hwy speeds. My recent trip to the White Mts of New Hampshire brought me back to a familiar stretch of hwy that I remember my previous V6 vehicle with 200 HP would always have to downshift to maintain my CC speed of 70 MPH. My 08 V6 made the ascent in 5th but VCM was not active as the torque required needed all 6 cyl to do the job.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
  • I will buy the car next weekend :mad: , but now I am still confusing about one big problem, 3.5EX or 2.4EXL? I love the powerful V6, but still be very interested with audio system, double climate control especially leather seat on EX-L 2.4! I can only afford to this trim level, so which one I should choose :lemon: ? Thank you! :shades:
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Posts: 198
    I went with the EX-L V6 w/navi for the same reasons why you're considering the EX-L I4. Given your constraints, I'd recommend the 2.4l EX-L.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Two things:

The 4-cylinder's in today's mainstream market (except for Subaru's "boxer" engine) are inline 4, not V4. Not trying to chastise you, just sharing so that a dealer won't try and take advantage of you thinking you don't know your stuff. :) Now you do!

Also, the new Accords do not weigh 4,000 - 4500 pounds. Closer to 3,300. A 1998 Accord 4-cyl would weigh around 3,000 lbs.

4500 pounds is more like an Odyssey minivan.

I do not need more than that. If I needed the speed I will go for BMW M3, or cheap WRX, or mazda speed3. But I wanted a sedan with good gas mileage, smooth ride, and enough space to carry 4 adults with luggages.

If you're like blufz, you want one car for everything - comfort, power, plenty of room. He got the V6 because he tows a light boat, and a truck that gets 15 MPG wouldn't be logical. He enjoys the extra torque, and uses it quite fully I'm sure. Remember, people have different needs, and different ideas of what is "adequate." If I did a lot of loaded-down highway driving I might prefer the V6 as well, and it has nothing at all to do with racing.

You should check out the Honda Accrd I4 vs V6 forum, you might like it. Back to MPG figures folks? ;)
    Do you do a lot of high-speed passing and interstate driving?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You should check out the Honda Accrd I4 vs V6 forum, you might like it. Back to MPG figures folks?

The posts are in the right discussion now. :)
  • I like the feeling when quick-passing the other cars as well as the fast take-off like the Jet. Maybe most of time I will drive on interstate (80%) and city should be 20%. The 3.5 EX maintains the same price as the 2.4 EX-L, so it is really hard to make a choice for my condition! I plan to do a test drive before taking delivery, just want to confirm if I can accept the difference between the 0-60 acceleration on 3.5 and 2.4 and make sure I will not regret in the future that when driving 2.4 EXL, I still missing the feeling of 3.5 V6!
    If we're talking (80%) interstate vs 2 lane hwy driving, I don't see why the V6 would be a necessity (this is coming from a V6 owner). No, you're not going to blow by people at 90mph, but you wouldn't need to, correct? I'm sure the I4 can handle "normal" interstate driving conditions just fine. I'd be more concerned about the mileage discrepancy discussed earlier.
    If you try "taking off like a jet" in either engine, mileage will suffer considerably - these are 3300-3500 lb jets we're talking here - neither are going to get 27+ mpg if gunning it from every light and racing people to the next one.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Say you are cruising in the right lane on the Interstate at 70mph. You see that there is a slower car ahead of you going about 60mph. There is a gap in the left lane, but the cars in the left lane are going about 80mph. The V6 has the highway passing power to hit the gap, and accelerate quickly, so the cars in the left lane don't have to slow down for you. With the I4, you would be better off slowing down to 60mph, and waiting for a larger gap in the left lane. I'm not the type of person who likes to drive 60mph on the interstate. Some people don't have a problem with it.

It's dog-eat-dog out there ;) , so you need something with a little BITE.
    Haha, keep in mind, for some of us, the I4 has more bite than the other considered alternatives, such as a CR-V. The 4-cyl Accord has a larger difference in acceleration with the CR-V than does the V6 Accord over the 4-cyl. For me, if there's a gap that 166hp can't get into, I don't need to be cutting people off like that. I drive fairly conservatively although I'm not afraid of running my engine close to redline when I need to - but, if I can wait for a few cars to pass by and then drop to fourth instead of third or second (at 60 MPH if I floor it), then I'll save the gas, and be 20 seconds later to the exit.

I take note though, often times, the cars I remember blowing past me at 80 MPH when I'm going 65 in a 60, often end up being the car just ahead of me in line at the traffic light at my exit. So much for gained ground! :)

All that said, for those with heavier passenger/cargo loads or doing lots of highway driving and know they like to be able to scoot into a tight spot, the V6 is for you!