Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima vs. Toyota Camry

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Was that article about the Camry or the Avalon? The Gadget Guru has repeated an extensive review here of what he sees as issues with the Avalon's GPS in 6 consecutive posts starting here: thegadgetguru, "Avalon Electronics" #18, 10 Jul 2006 10:34 am.

It's very possible that the 06 Avalon has the same GPS system as the 07 Camry, but unless you know that for sure, you probably want to get that confirmed. And if I were you, I'd also ask the folks hanging out in the Toyota Camry: Navigation discussion what their experiences have been.

Keep us posted on your research and decisions.
  • bv050506bv050506 Posts: 97
    I had a 2004 Maxima, a fine car. I now own a 2007 Camry XLS. The Camry is a better car, the Nissan looks cooler. The turning radius drove me absolutely insane! The Camry V6 is quicker than the Nissan VQV6, but doesn't sound as mocho when you get on it. ( 6.1 vs. 6.5 0-60) I also opted for the Bose system and sacrificed the sunroof. Bad move on my part, the panel in the Maxima while cool, isn't a sunroof, and if your used to one and like it, the glass panel won't excite you. I live in the north and one very interesting fact about the Maxima was it went through snow like it had 4-wheel drive. Haven't had my Camry in snow yet. The Max was bigger, especially the trunk that could swallow 4 sets of golf clubs easily, and the rear seat. The Camry is finished better and remember it has a 6 speed and gets great gas mileage, far superior to the Max. You gotta love that quad exhaust tho! Either way you'll have agreat car, so enjoy the ride!
  • tristan1tristan1 Posts: 39
    Camry is a nice car and is known for reliabilty. But you are comparing a 2004 Max to a fully redesign 2007 Camry. It don't seem fair to me. Both cars are great but the Max's turning radius is starting to get to me. The 6-speed is nice for the camry but I would prefer the cvt on the 07 max. The dual exhaust on the camry v6 is not bad either. And 18-inch wheels on the max.
    You're right, perhaps not a fair comparison. I haven't experienced the CVT tranny yet but must do it. Yes the 18's on the Max are stylin' for sure. I think the Max is a sexier car for sure. I'll test drive a new Max the next time I'm close to a dealer just to see how much it has improved since my '04. The exhaust on my Camry was made big enough by toyota to notice. The duals on a Fusion/Milan are hardly visual when you see them. I'll bet if the Max had 16's or even 17's the turning radius issue would go away. there just isn't enough clearance in the whell wells to allow for more turn. Do you have the new Max with CVT? How is it? Enjoy your ride!
  • tristan1tristan1 Posts: 39
    Unfortunately I just bought my wife a 2006 SE couple months ago. Neighbor got a blue SE camry so it's between the TL or Avalon and we ended up with a max(lol). Had a murano w/ CVT for rental feels weird but it drives nice through the mountains. Funny coz I never did notice fusion/milan had dual exhaust. You can put 18's on a camry and still would'nt have a problem making a u-turn on a narrow street.
    she'll like the Max, its a real looker and rides well. My Avalon was very nice, just didn't like how it handled. The TL is really superb but about $3K more than an avalon. I still think my Camry is a better car than the Avalon was, mostly because of handling. It's not a TL though. Nissan better watch out they're getting to a point where others are in superior cars. I put wider tires on the Camry as soon as I got it and that helped a bunch. I don't think 18's will fir but a 17 will.
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    if i am not mistaken, i think the turning radius has a lot to do with the suspension on the car, and being that nissan put a sport suspension on the maxima, you get less of a turning radius because of it (though wheel size probably affects it too)

something to consider...

im a nissan nut, had a 92 max that i loved loved loved!!! if i had the money when i bought a new car 3 years ago, it would have been a max, but being fresh out of college, i went for a sentra ser spec v (which has a larger turning radius than the regular sentra due to the sport suspension) but i deal, i'll take a bad turning radius for the sporty feel!

-thene :)
  • I think all the problems that you guys are saying about the Maxima has to be related with the way you maintain the car and drive it. I had a 2000 Maxima SE 5 Spd and never had problems with it. I kept it well maintained and serviced it. The oil i used was synthetic and the clutch lasted till 85,000 miles thats quite a lot. my brake pads lasted untill i traded the car for a 2004 Maxima SE Automatic. These one already has 28,000 and the only problem i have is that it dosen't turn. Then any other issues none. I also put syntheic oil and 93 otane fuel in it. The car is perfect and would not prefer any other.
    Mine was a 2004 SE as well. The turning radius issue got to be too much for me. Otherwise it was an excellent vehicle and I had no problems. Put a billet grille on mine and got rid of the toothed thing it came with. It REALLY added a lopt to the looks. Easy to install!!!
  • Turning radius is really lousy. This is my 3 Maxima (94,99,04) and probably my last. Had to replace rear breaks, discs etc after 27000 miles fronts at 36 000, the electric engine mount, rear right bearing at 36 000.

I guess the one thing that I don't like is if I leave the car in the driveway for a awhile (5 days) rust starts to form on the discs (front and rear) and sometimes that rust feels like the discs are warped. I was "lucky" the dealer replaced the front discs before the 12000 miles limit. Front tires had to be replaced because of mis-alignment on the dealer part. (those 18 inch tires are very expensive.)

I have a Jeep Wrangler that I store in the winter in my backyard for the past 7 years. I never had to worry about rust on discs.
  • I don't recall the rust issue, as I only had it about a year. I was REALLY impressed with how it went through snow though! Yes, I've bought some 18's and they are expensive. The Hemi wouldn't go through an inch of snow with the Continentals it had on it, so I had to buy 2 Nokian Hakapolita all season radials, $210 each. It was unbelievable how go those went through snow, and fixed the problem, albeit expensive. Better than Blizzaks in my book!
  • I have had an 87,90 93,2002,04 & now the 07. Between 93 & 2002 I had Toyota 4Runer, Toyota Solara and Audi AWD 6. In my opion all three are very overrated especialy the Audi. For this reason I went back to Maxima which I have never had any mechanical or electrical problems. When I saw the 04 Maxima I had to have it. I got the SE Black with Elite pkg, i was not dissapointed. I found it to be sneeky quick, handeling & cornering at high speeds exellant and yes it was great in snow. I was still getting compliments by people walking by on it's looks until the day I turned it in. The cons were turning radius and torque to the left steering.
    I now have had the 07 SE Black again with/the elite pkg. since 7/4/06. A week later I drove to N.C. & I coulndn't wait to drive everyday. The turning radias in very much improved, torgue steering is all most none existant, also they smotthed out the ride without sacrificing handling. The navigation system has been updated not that I had a problem with the 04. If I put in the correct address I get to my destination. New on this model is back-up sensors & tire pressure display. The front buckets and power seat settings are numerous. As you can tell I love my Maximas'.
  • Sounds like they addressed all the hickups I ever had with my,04. Is the Elite package the bucket seats in the rear? Sounds like a great car and improved, especially where it needed it. Think about the billett grille, it adds a lot to the front end. Enjoy your ride safely!
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    I am trying to decide between the 2006-07 Nissan Maxima or the 2007 Toyota Camry XLE.

The car I choose will be equiped with all the bells and whistles.

What are your recommendations, should I go for the Camry or the Maxima?

Very difficult, no? lol.. it hard to compare the two since they aren't true rivals as many have already mentioned. The Maxima is a fine car... I've always been a fan, but got the SE myself and have been loving it. The Maxima was just getting to big for what I wanted for my everyday car. Infact, the Camry was pushing it too, but am not regretting it. Feature-wise... the maxima has more, but the new maxima is only a year and and half away.. so...

As others have said, Nissan's rival for the Camry would be more in the lines of the Altima. Just a suggestion, since you're willing to spend more, take a look at the new Lexus ES350. It's more than just a camry dipped in gold, it's more like platinum!
  • I've owned them both. Had a '04 Maxima SE and currently have a '07 Camry XLE with all the bells but nav. There is a good article I just read last night in Road and Track about the new Max. Sounds like the two major issues I had were turning circle and torque steer have been addressed. Mileage won't be as good with the Maxima, my v-6 Camry got 33mpg over the weekend on a 180 mile trip with the air on. The Max will get 28ish. The new tranny in the Max sounds delightful, but the 6 speed in the Camry is sweet too, dispite what some people think. The Max is bigger inside than the Camry, the trunk is slightly larger. The Max will handle better as it has more of a sport feel to it. The 6 speed Camry V-6 is slightly quicker, yet with better mileage. IMHO the intereior of the Camry is nicer, but in fairness haven't been in a new Max yet. The Toyota will be more reliable. I do like the different grill they put on the Max this year. My guess is the Max will be slightly more expensive, however not a mitigating factor. All the best, either ride will be awesome!
    Actually, it appears you've already found the place to discuss Toyotas difficulties: Toyota recalls double: volume hurting quality?

Let's leave this discussion to comparing the Maxima and the Camry to each other.

Thanks!
  • You are correct. I was just trying to get the message out. The subject Maxima and Camry is not correct. It Should be Maxima and Avalon or Camry and Altima. How can you have a subject discussing the differences between apples and oranges?
    I understand your point, but sometimes, as part of their buying process, folks do compare vehicles which are not in the same class. We have no reason not to let them. ;)
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    I have an 03 Max, and liked it a lot except for the Blose stereo and the rear suspension that hops over bumps. I looked at 04-06 Max. The exterior looks very good, but I am not thrilled with the interior. Too much cheap plastic and the dash covered with velour-like material that may get dirty easily and may not withstand normal wear and tear well. From various posts, it appears that Nissan may have addressed the rear suspension and torque steer issues (somewhat).

I also looked at 06 and 07 Camry. While the specs on paper look good, I learned from Avalon posters that they have a lot of problem with the navi. Presuming that the Camry uses the Avalon navi, it does not bode well for me, one who loves to travel and would likely get lost without a good navi.

So, even though I owned 3 Maximas (3rd, 4th and 5th gens) and the 6th gen may be a bit cheaper price wise, I recently bought a TL with navi, which drives well and is full of techno gadgets. Prospective Max buyers should give TL a comparison test drive.
This discussion has been closed.