Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 2.3 vs. '07 VW Rabbit

Comments

• 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    You might want to take a look at this article (featuring the 3, but can be applicable to any car):

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3444
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Hmm..that's interesting, although I can't say I'm really surprised by anything the story has revealed. I've always known alarms are only for psychological peace of mind (even though I'm as guilty as anyone in perpetuating that mythology by insisting on having one),but I've always thought immobilizers are effective anti-theft devices. :confuse: The other thing I've heard is that a tiny bit of ceramic (ie. from the tip of a spark plug) can break automotive glass effectively. :cry:
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    Amen to that. I hate Rabbit's, I had one and they suck. No offense to Rabbit owners. I love my new 2007 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring, fully loaded to the max. A "J" car is simply the best. This has been proven many times over. A "J" car is the first digit in the vin#, this is made 100% in Japan.
    I have Two Honda's that are "J" cars and now the Mazda which is a "J" car and love them all. Rabbits can compete especially with the price of the Mazda's.
    This you are right about, however, having an engine cut off unit, is awesome. At least the only thing is that will be broken is the window and hopefully that the car will not be stolen. Nothing is a guarantee in life. I keep my cars in my garage.
    Don't mean to be doom and gloom, but a friend of a friend had her Mercedes stolen right out of her garage! :cry:
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    J in the vin number doens't always mean that.

And its your opinion.

Rabbits can compete especially with the price of the Mazda's

you are right...they SURE can!

If you don't want to upset anyone, don't post comments like '_____ sucks.' or, 'i HATE _____'.

I like my bunny better than the 3, but i still like the 3 and realize what both cars stregnths and weaknesses are.

You post has a very heavy air of someone who didn't REALLY own one, and is just saying that to hate on the car.

For example, why not elaborate to why it sucked? And why you traded it in so early? was it a 2 door? Four door? Did you make a profit off of it or do you know have negative equity since the earliest you could have had one was back in 2006, and that means you would have had to have been waiting in line for one... :blush:
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Let's not turn this into a personal thing please.

It's OK to disagree about the cars. That's the purpose of a comparison discussion like this. But we're not here to talk about the motivations of each other. Let's stick to the cars please.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

I didn't attack anyone here at all, I was simply stating the car. I did own one and had nothing but problems, from an oil leak to a trans problem at 30,000 miles. I "DON'T LIKE THE CAR", HOW IS THAT? BETTER? I had a 2002 4 door, brand new. Also I think the Jetta's look cheap. If you look at it from the front, it looks like a Kia.
    Every car on the market has their weaknesses. Nothing in life is perfect, not even a $100,000 car.

I traded in the car because I was putting over $2,500 a year to maintain it and the warranty was out already.
    so you didnt have a rabbit? You had a 2002 golf?

2 completley different cars...if you hate the golf, post it in the golf forum.

....and if you are talking about the rabbit...what made you want one after your previous experience? the mazda 3 did exist when the rabbit/mkV came to our shores... :confuse:
    just asking why someone is hatin' is legit anymore?

Thats about the cars is it not? If i hate something, i state why, i don't just post and wait for someone to call me out on it to explain myself. :blush:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Yes, the "J" in a VIN means it was assembled in Japan. Usually followed by the first letter of the manufacturer.

Example of a Mazda built in Japan would start "JM***"

Example of a Honda built in Japan would start "JH***"

Really getting into depth, the 10th digit is the year of the vehicle "JM1BK****7*******" That is how the all Mazda3's start.
    Well, the Golf was rebadged as the Rabbit this year. So, he did essentially have a Rabbit --- just one from the previous generation.
    Thank you. My point exactly. Golf, Rabbit, they are one in the same since my was a previous generation. The sticker said Rabbit, but the book said Golf. Go figure. What book ever matches the car exactly?? :surprise:
    actually, you are both wrong.

Just like the jetta, the rabbit was introduced as a brand new model in the middle of 2006.

You can find a 2006 'golf', but its a completely different engine, chassis, suspension and interior than the rabbit.

So my orginal assumption was right; you never had a rabbit, you had a 4th generation golf. The names are not interchangable, since the rabbit is only the rabbit in the american market; its still the golf in europe.

But again you had the 4th generation and they are two completley different cars. Even if you knew nothing about the trim levels or eninges available, your eyes would tell you that they are totally different.

because they are 2 different generations, the problems don't neccesarily come hand in hand; your gen 4 golf (mkIV) was known to be problematic. My generation Rabbit, while not totally trouble free as some people have found, is much less so.

SO...what i orignally told you about hating on cars without getting the facts straight is true...its kinda like me saying i hate the mazda 3, when i owned a protege, the car that was available right before it. 2 completely different cars; one un-educated comment.
    What book ever matches the car exactly

mine does. and so do many others! :blush:
    Not really based on the factory mold. Either way I think all VW's are not to my liking and have many problems. They even look old. Their design is boring and the engines make a lot of noise. So I got a problematic one, just that alone, I will never buy one again. You may think that they are different in look, (dont let your eyes deceive you) however all the parts are made of the same material and in the same plant from the same country. Can we say Quality control!!
    Maybe your car is awesome and is better than most. If this is the case then I am happy for you. I have my facts straight. I know that the Golf and Rabbit are in the same mold. Maybe you need to do some more research about these cars. Brand new doesn't mean all brand new. Think about that. MARKETING TOOL!!! ;)
    you are not serious right? You do know that there is a complete and total difference between the mkV and mkIV? Just like there is a total difference between the protege and the 3, the 05 and 06 civic and a whole plethora of other cars that are recently re-designed.

Despite what you may think, you are misinformed. The name alone didn't change, the ENTIRE car did too. To say its the same parts and from the same factory is a bit off as well, seeing as how the rabbit is completely built in germany, with an engine sourced from mexico and the golf was built totally there.

I know the differance between a model refreshing and a complete re-design. You do not. And if you do, everything you have said, says otherwise. Plenty of people on this forum could explain this to you; its a fact that you have to accept wether you like vw's or not; its a brand new car.

For example: just because i don't like the NEW nissan sentra doensn't mean its not a full redesign and its just the same car.
    You see how this logic doesn't make much sense? That what your posts sounds like.

Marketing ploy? Yes to a certain extent and NOT in the way you mean it; yes vw re-named the golf the 'rabbit' for the american market, but they did so when they re-designed the car...the only 'marketing tool' they would not have been able to use if they didn't rename it is all the rabbit innuendos.:) But thats pretty much it;...but rabbit or golf, the mkV is a differnt car than your mkV golf.
    The current generation Golf/Rabbit first came out as "Golf", then VW simply renamed it "Rabbit". So I stand by my original statement that whether he had a Rabbit or Golf is irrelevant. Now, you could argue that the current generation is so different from the previous one that you can't extrapolate data from one to the other, but that's a different discussion.
    No need to argue anything. I was just stating my opinions and what I have read and heard. We are not experts. Just talking back and forth amongst each person to maybe learn something. Can't we all get along and be friends? CARS ARE A PERSONAL STYLE, EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN TASTE, LIKES AND DISLIKES. I AM NO KNOCKING ANYONE HERE. Sorry if I offended some.
    I'm sorry bodble but you are wrong. Vw with the new jetta and rabbit, did NOT wait a full year (beggining of 06) to release the new generation of them.

If you look at an early 2006 GOLF it looks like the same golf in 2001-2005. If you look at the model that VW calls 'the Rabbit' it is a completely different car...the name change and middle-of-the-year release is what is throwing you off. In europe, this car will always be called the golf,but when the newest generation debuted here, it was renamed the rabbit. This is fact, not opinion and i don't understand why its so hard to understand! Google pictures of both generations and its plain to see! :sick: