Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Steering

Comments

• jtk5969jtk5969 Posts: 1
    I have had this problem with my '05 Silverado 3 times. Each time the dealer has lubricated the steering shaft and told me that was the "fix". I'm on my way there with this TSB.
  • satterjsatterj Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 GMC serria ext cab,I have a steering whine when turing left or right.The dealer has tried to repair it but the problem is still there.
  • arkz71arkz71 Posts: 10
    I have a 2003 Chevrolet Z71 4x4 (recirculating ball steering) and the box started making a whine and the entire box had to be replaced.

I am not sure if you have a 2 wheel drive (rack & pinion) or not but the valve body inside the box is defective if it starts to whine.

Hope this helps, by the way I have way over 100,000+ miles logged on my truck.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    What kind of repair did the dealer do? Refill with power steering fluid?
  • ken664ken664 Posts: 1
    My 04 Envoy (built on the Sierra platform I think?) has just started making a very faint (barely audible) steering noise but like a whine as described here - are you guys talking faint noises, or big stuff you can't miss? I've only done about 75K Kms of normal driving, so am surprised something this chunky and critical should be wearing out so quick.

Sounds an expensive fix...but I want to get on this fairly quick before my extended warranty plan runs out.

Any thoughts?

Ken
    This is 05 GMC with 29,000 miles.I did not have the whineing noise until they replaced the powering steering pump.The dealer has tried to find the cause of the noise so far nothing has worked.
    The whine usually occurs when turning left or right, or when you are using the steering. Then it would either be low on fluid or near failure. So if the fluid is ok then the other must be true.

The whine is loud enough to be obvious and even annoying to some.
  • watajobwatajob Posts: 1
    Does this pertain to 2WD, (rack and pinion), 4WD, (recirculating ball) or both? I have a 2004 Sierra 2WD and it has these symptoms, (the "clunk"), but it I can't tell from this thread which model is affected with this problem? Thanks!
    by both the 2wd and 4wd. Funny thing this problem started in the '99 trucks and to think in '04 there was still no permanent fix and that GM was still making trucks with the same defective shaft.
  • Mine is 2WD. I've been told this is a problem that has persisted with GM trucks for YEARS!!! Wonder why they can't get it right at the factory? Adding grease every 10K miles doesn't seem like the right kind of fix!
    Mine is a 2wd 2005 GMC half ton extened cab with Rack&Pinion.The dealer told me that they have made a new part for the steering column at the botton of the shaft to stop the clanking noise,so they ordered the part put it on and so far no clanking.But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now the whinning has started.The dealer put a new powering steering pump.That did not stop the whinning.So now they are trying to figure out the cause of the whinning.You can't hear it from under the hood only in the cab.
    First clunk then whine? You think perhaps there was a chance that the replacement P/S pump may have been defective? There is that possibility and the dealer wouldn't be looking for it since they would assume that its fixed. Those dealer techs are profit motivated and redoing a previous job is not profitable.
  • lionslions Posts: 20
    I have a 2002 chevy silverado truck ext cab with 45.000 miles OK I really need some answers the dealer confirmed to me the steering box has to to be replaced again ( they have replaced 2) they do not know why the steering box is failing. They have paid for the repairs BUT they informed me today that next time i have to pay. A steering box should never fail with few miles and only 5 yrs old. So Hey Chevy Techs Can you please tell me why and better yet Fix the Problem.
    Thank You
    Pat
    Obviously there is a design flaw in the steering box. I had my rack and pinion changed twice in 36K one for a design flaw that caused vibrations and the second cause it sprung a major leak. Was ok after that but sold the truck at 58K as the a/c and the windows stopped working.... :confuse:
  • agdawgagdawg Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z-71 142,000 miles 5.3 liter. My truck started making this humming sound a couple of weeks ago. Its coming from the drivers side. It almost sounds like I am running mud tires. When I get up to 20 mph I start to get a vibration. Its gets even worse at 60 mph. The only reason I think its the power steering is when you turn to the right everything goes away. Going straight or turning left does not change the noise or vibrations. I don't think its a wheel bearing because they make more of a popping and cracking sound.
  • My steering feels dry, almost like a rubbing feel. any clues on where it could be comming from? it is a 2004 with about 40,000 miles, 4x4
  • Sounds like Chubaka making a left turn,which is why you make your own route during test drives as most car salesmen will only have you make right turns (sound familiar). Well I thought I had it figured out as I found a TSB on the clunking sound (intermediate shart in steering column) cost around $200, but it doesn't get rid of the "sound", now I'm being told that the bearings in the steering column is what's causing this (they're sealed so you can't grease them) so this means....guess what, A New Steering shaft...not sure of the cost. So now I have to train myself to ignore it It may seem as a mating call to some but an annoyance to me.
    Thanks for all the prior post...quite helpful! :confuse: :P
  • I had this very same issue, but on a very different car. My girlfriends Acura TSX did the same thing. Turned out to be a warped rotor. It went away when I turned right because the angle change took the pads away from it, so it wasn't making contact anymore. I had trouble idenitifying which side it was from though (sounded like both). If the drivers side doesn't fix it, try swapping over to the passengers (assuming they're the same part.... usually are). Good luck!
  • When I turn my 2001 GMC Yukon XL (100k miles) to the right, there is a hissing sound (not the whine of a power steering pump), and it has little or no power steering going right. When turning left, it works fine. Fluid level is fine. Is there something in the pump or gearbox that controls one direction? Thanks.
  • Wondering :mad: if this steertig issue was covered under the recall list. My truck has a clunking sound in the front.....it can be felt in the steering colum and is very noticeable in small bumpy parkign lots.......anyway...check this link and see if your dealer owes you some coin for the fix.

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/gmc/sierra/recalls/index.html
  • :shades: Does anyone know who we need to contact about this, the cost is unbearable. It seems they're more concerned about other thing: exterior lighting, tailgate holders than the steering of the vehicle. I'm gonna try Consumer Protection and see if they bite! :cry:
  • :mad: I bought a 2006 2500 HD brand new with a lift kit already put on by the dealership. After about 2 weeks I noticed when I applied the brake the steering would lock. I've had it to 3 gmc dealerships several different times, they all tell me the same thing, it's a "normal characteristic". However I've also taken it to 2 other automotive shops who say it's not normal. I took the truck for safety inspection in Aug. 2007, and it was rejected. I took it back to the dealer where I bought the truck for them to fix, they couldn't do anything, so I'm sitting here making payments and paying for insurance on a vehicle I can't drive. The Utah Safety manual says, there will be no binding in the steering and there must be a 20% reserve on the brake. Has anyone else experienced this? If so I would appreciate any help, as I'm getting an attorney to see if we can't make GM fix the problem. Mine is not the only vehicle that does this, check yours, if it has a "Hydro boost" system, there is a good chance your vehicle does this as well. It's also not limited to GM, but Ford, Dodge, anything with this system in it.The Utah Highway Patrol Vehicle Safety even put out a newsletter to it's inspection stations to reject any vehicle with this problem. :sick: If enough people get together we should be able to do something about this. By the way my truck only has 3800 miles on it and I bought it in Sept. 2006. Pretty bad. :mad: :mad:
  • I already posted before I found this. My GMC does the same thing my post is #53. I would like to see some action taken but don't know how to get it done. Every road seems to be a dead end.
  • 2000 GMC Sierra Z71. When I put the truck in four wheel drive, the front end locks up when I try to turn the steering wheel. I mean the wheels will turn roll froward or backward. It feels like something is binding up. I have no idea what is causing this problem. It does not do it until I put the truck in four wheel drive.
  • I'm having a similar problem with 2004 GMC sierra Z-71 5.3 engine. I have intermittent problems with steering: when you are at idle, steering wheel will only make a partial turn. Increase RPM and it seems to steers fine. However, I have noticed that steering seems to be taking more effort. I'll take it in to dealer shortly (extended warranty) and once I find out what they say, I'll repost.
  • Thanks for your post. Have you noticed if your brake pedal goes all the way to the floor when you apply it? I don't know if your state has a safety inspection to get vehicles relicensed, but here in Utah the Highway Safety did put out a bulletin on this problem, the inspectors are to reject any vehicle that has this problem. I hope this will help in getting GMC to do something. We filed complaints with the NHTSA, consumer affairs and the BBB. We went through arbitration with a rep from GMC and the arbitrators decision was that GMC was not responsible. We are now going to a lemon law attorney, who would like to know about other complaints. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you some information. The thing that makes it a little hard is that not every state has safety inspections. Thanks Larry.
  • I hit a ditch head on at about 100 mph and they didn't deploy! almost 10k in damage to the truck and GM says they don't see that they have any fault. Not once but two times they denied this. WOW! It was in the dealership 3 times proir to the accident and 2 times after for the air bag light being on on the dash. Two times they replaced the sensor in the dash....... If you have any problems like this please let me know. We need to team up to get the job done on this corporate giant..... You buy their vehicles at the rediculas full price they ask and they don't stand behind the product!!! Even on safety issues. These trucks are lemons by far! To many issues to even list about this truck I own. Steering is one. Safety issues they don't care about them as long as they are making money to pay the attorneys to protect them.. They need their balls busted. I have always been a die hard chevy fan but am loosing interest due to the junk they now sell. no wonder why the old rides are worth 2 to 3 times more than the new ones. :P
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    One thing you have to remember about air bags... they require a traumatic change in g-forces in order to deploy, i.e. coming to a near-immediate stop. Depending on what happened after you hit the ditch (not even going to ask why you were doing 100 in a truck), unless you essentially came to a dead stop upon impact, the bags should not have deployed. If the vehicle continued to travel from momentum, the g-force change was not severe enough.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • If you live in Utah and own a vehicle that is equipped with the Hydro-boost system, this may concern you.
    The Utah Highway Patrol Vehicle Safety put out a newsletter on Nov. 1, 2007. It states,
    "Recently, one of our Safety Inspection Investigators investigated a case involving a 2006 GMC Sierra Dura Max Diesel. During this investigation, it was found that the steering wheel would bind when the brake pedal was applied, particularly while parking. General Motors issued a service bulletin (#1848789) acknowledging a pre-existing poser assist condition, which can be aggravated by having worn tires, low tire air pressure, lower power steering pump pressure, and larger tires than stock size. Please make sure that all inspectors are aware that this same condition can be seen on any other vehicle make or model with this type of power assist system. If your station does come across a vehicle with this same condition, please make sure that the vehicle is rejected as it is noted in the 2007 Safety Inspection Manual."
    If your vehicle is rejected or has this problem and you live in the state of Utah please leave a comment on this and we'll figure out how to get in touch with each other. The car manufacturers should have to fix this problem, but right now their saying it's one in many that has this condition. We need to show them they're wrong before something goes tragically wrong. Thanks for your support. Please let me know even if you don't live in Utah.
  • Every state has a lemon law, maybe that's the way to go. I'm checking into ours right now in Utah. I'll post again when I hear something.